Finds disappearing....

Garby&kiki

Hi there. Hoping someone can help please.

I noticed today that my caches found had changed from 101 to 100. Is it possible to find out what cache i previously had marked found has been changed?

Maybe the cache owner removed my log for some reason.........

Anyway hope someone can help with my investigation :P

2 thoughts come to mind:

1.) cache owner deleting duplicate "found it" logs (more than 1 "found it" log per GC code)

2.) cache owner deleting logs of "found it" for each stage of a multicache

Did you not receive email notification of the logs being deleted?

B.

I didnt receive any email notifications as far as i am aware. Should i have?
Yes, if a log was deleted, then you should have received an email notification. Assuming that your email address is correct and has been validated, of course.

Are you getting other emails (like the weekly newsletter) from Groundspeak? Have you checked your junkmail folder?

How do you keep track of your founds? Having 100 should not be to hard to check manually which ones "vanished". As a premium member you can run the myfinds Pocket Query and import this file in one of the available database programs (GSAK).

Interesting enugh, I found the same issue. I was getting close to my "100" mark and saving it for a special cache that a friend hid. I bounced between 97-101 that week, with absolutely zero emails about "log deleted". (I had gotten one prior back when I double-logged something, so I know that functionality)

I'm settled back now with the logs I found, and holding steady at 102 currently, but I have screenshots that without finding ANYthing or geting any deletion notifications, I also bounced over and then under 100 finds, the other week. I assumed it was odd synchronization errors between web-logging and app-logging offline, but the week I was hovering around 100 I specifically only used the website, to make sure my "milestone" cache was all set.

Due to the oddness, my actual 100th find may or may not have been my friend's hidden cache, but I'm counting it symbolically. She also wondered why my profile went from 99, to 101, to 99, with no sign of Why. I could only shrug. c'est la vie. :) not a big deal, as I'm not too worried about what is when, and will pretend it was how I planned it to be, but it did strike me as odd this past few weeks.

It may well be an app thing. I've been using GSAK for years so I have (among others) a found database where, in the beginning) I kept every cache found after I was logged online manually. Since the API was introduced GSAK handles posting the logs. I've never had any founds disappear. As an extra, I also keep a database where I import the "myfounds" PQ. The amount of finds in my founds, foundsPQ databases and on GC has always been the same.

You might want to look into some kind of "bookkeeping" for your finds, you might even need it if you're going to find Challenges.

I noticed the same thing. I'm keeping track of my finds for each day of the year. I have a print out from the stats page that shows I have a find on June 4th. When I was logging some caches the other day, I noticed that I didn't have a find on that day. No emails from anyone. There should be some kind of app or program that can track what caches are being deleted. Any programmers out there what to give it a try?

There should be some kind of app or program that can track what caches are being deleted.

A "My Finds" Pocket Query might be useful. Add it to the queue (I added my own just now :anicute:): http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

It may not find the previous missing one, but if the issue is, say, duplicate logs, it will help you figure out what's going on when another one bites the dust. Another idea would be to save every "Cache_visits.txt" (field notes file), but it's just an idea, and doesn't apply except in the case of a Garmin GPSr. In fact, if you don't delete any Field Notes, there's a backup list right there.

Have you contacted Groundspeak?

I have a find on June 4th

When I have a find, I have photos saved on my PC, TB visits, other finds in close proximity, GPS tracks, plenty of evidence. Maybe even a note in my notebook and snapshots of waypoints for a future cache placement idea. Don't you have lots of such things to cross-reference?

Edited by kunarion

I have a similar issue. In January, 2013 I drove to Quartzsite, AZ and I distinctly remember finding three caches. I logged the finds. I was going to drive through Quartzsite again in February of the year so I did a query of geocaches Including finds in the area. The three caches that I had found have apparently been archived and no longer show on the map. Neither do my smiley faces. I then did a query of My Finds and imported it into GSAK. I did a search by name of one of the caches and it does not come up on the find list. It appears to me that somehow the three caches got archived and after some period of time the find log went away. I get all of the emails from geocaches.com and have received notice of logs deleted by the cache owner but I never received any notice about these three caches. Does anyone know what is happening? It is disconcerting to think that I might continue to loose finds as caches are archived.

It is disconcerting to think that I might continue to loose finds as caches are archived.

Not sure what might be going on with folks in this thread having cache finds come/go but I do know that a cache being archived doesn't delete a find from your count. I have all my caches in GSAK and my Find count there matches my Find count on the geocaching.com website regardless if a cache is archived. I currently have 503 finds against archived caches, all which show as Finds on geocaching.com .

I have a similar issue. In January, 2013 I drove to Quartzsite, AZ and I distinctly remember finding three caches. I logged the finds. I was going to drive through Quartzsite again in February of the year so I did a query of geocaches Including finds in the area. The three caches that I had found have apparently been archived and no longer show on the map. Neither do my smiley faces. I then did a query of My Finds and imported it into GSAK. I did a search by name of one of the caches and it does not come up on the find list. It appears to me that somehow the three caches got archived and after some period of time the find log went away. I get all of the emails from geocaches.com and have received notice of logs deleted by the cache owner but I never received any notice about these three caches. Does anyone know what is happening? It is disconcerting to think that I might continue to loose finds as caches are archived.

It makes sense that your smileys disappear from the map when the cache is archived, because the cache is removed from the map.

I went to your profile, and started going back in time. It took a lot of clicking to get back to February of 2013, but your finds from that time are still listed there, with red strikeouts to denote the archived caches.

The "my finds" query should have included all your finds, even if the caches are archived.

Help Center → Premium Membership → Pocket Queries → My Finds Pocket Query

2.2. My Finds Pocket Query

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=117

My Finds is a special PQ that returns all geocaches you found, including archived geocaches, and your log entries. My Finds does not include Lab Caches.

I would try running the "my finds" pq again, and if they caches still don't appear, contact GS and report a possible bug.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I went to your profile, and started going back in time. It took a lot of clicking to get back to February of 2013, but your finds from that time are still listed there, with red strikeouts to denote the archived caches.

But I cannot find those three cache finds in the Quartzsite, AZ area in the list of My Finds. I agree that there are finds in this time period and that there are ones that have red strikeouts. I am positive that I logged those finds that are now missing.

But I cannot find those three cache finds in the Quartzsite, AZ area in the list of My Finds. I agree that there are finds in this time period and that there are ones that have red strikeouts. I am positive that I logged those finds that are now missing.

Are you running the special My Finds PQ, or setting a standard PQ to return caches you have found?

A standard PQ does have a lot of limitations with caches, that the special My Finds PQ does not...

Are you running the special My Finds PQ, or setting a standard PQ to return caches you have found?

A standard PQ does have a lot of limitations with caches, that the special My Finds PQ does not...

I am running the pocket query at the bottom of the query page. My point in posting to this thread was to see if others were having the same problem. Since I am looking for three year old finds I can't remember if I actually posted the logs or not. I guess I will have to just chalk it up to overlooking posting the log. That is strange to me because I drove about 340 miles round trip to get these caches and can't imagine forgetting to log them.

I am running the pocket query at the bottom of the query page. My point in posting to this thread was to see if others were having the same problem. Since I am looking for three year old finds I can't remember if I actually posted the logs or not. I guess I will have to just chalk it up to overlooking posting the log. That is strange to me because I drove about 340 miles round trip to get these caches and can't imagine forgetting to log them.

What were the 3 Quartzsite caches - GC Codes, Names? Do any/all of the 3 cache appear with this search? Click Here

As others have mentioned, your finds should not disappear if a cache has been archived. I have not had it happen to me with any of the 250+ caches I've found that were later archived. Maybe the CO deleted your find logs and there was a hiccup in the email notification system.

How did you submit the logs? Via the website or via an app? Sometimes there can be issues with the system being used to log. For example, the official app has an issue with posting logs if photos are included, although it still shows on the app that the log wasn't posted. ETA: Re-reading that your finds were in 2013, before the Official app launched, so nevermind that part.

Edited by noncentric