Virginia GeoCaching License Plate

4Finders

I am in the process of submitting a design to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles for the creation of a GeoCaching License Plate Design. I need some answers...

1. I will need at least 350 interested people to preorder the license plate design (after it is approved) before the first plate will be produced. Would we have 350 interested geocachers willing to preorder?

2. Should I use the GeoCaching Logo as the graphic on the plate design?

3. They have a profit sharing option. The specialty plates could be just $10.00 extra or $25.00 extra with a portion of the proceeds going back to the sport of geocaching. Any preference?

Let me know your thoughts...

Chris

~4Finders

I think its a great idea, one that I'd endorse heartily, but I'm torn between my new-found hobby and loyalty to my alma mater (my current plate).

You probably should clear it with Jeremy first, since there are pretty significant restrictions on the use of the geocaching logo and I believe there are some DMV restrictions relating to designs which may be subject to trademark or other intellectual property laws.

It's a cool idea, though! If you spark enough interest, I may be poked and prodded into signing on.

-----------------

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

quote:
The specialty plates could be just $10.00 extra or $25.00 extra with a portion of the proceeds going back to the sport of geocaching. Any preference?

Could you explain a little more what this means? Are you intending the extra $$$ to go to support this site?

Great idea! Don't know if you'll get 350 takers though.

Count me in. I'll get one if they approve it. One slight problem though. I know Virginia DMV has some restrictions on who the moolah can be paid to and I think it has to be a not-for-profit organization. Does anyone know whether geocaching.com has a 501(3)© designation? If not, they might not approve it.

Perhaps an e-mail to Jeremy may be in order to try to coordinate this. I think it's a great idea! Just imagine reaching the parking area and spying a Geocaching license plate and knowing that there's the possibility of teaming up with someone! I like.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

This is one of the things I am trying to find out by posting to the forums. I know I Geocache and have 3 vehicles. So... We are looking for 345 more interested parties. Any ideas on how to get the word out (other than here)? I can easily put up a simple web page looking for people who are interested...

~4Finders

quote:
Originally posted by Gaiter Man:

I like the idea and would get VA geocaching plates if they become available; however, finding 350 cachers to support this initiative may be a problem. Do you have any stats on how many geocachers there are in VA?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

This is one of the things I am trying to find out by posting to the forums. I know I Geocache and have 3 vehicles. So... We are looking for 345 more interested parties. Any ideas on how to get the word out (other than here)? I can easily put up a simple web page looking for people who are interested...

~4Finders

quote:
Originally posted by Gaiter Man:

I like the idea and would get VA geocaching plates if they become available; however, finding 350 cachers to support this initiative may be a problem. Do you have any stats on how many geocachers there are in VA?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Not me, I have the new Fight Terrorism plate and I just got it (great idea though!). Perhaps Jermey could establish a charity to donate to on behalf on geocaching with the extra $. . . Regarding finding VA Cachers, Jermey has sent out localized emails before, so I bet he could gather the names.

Just noticed your thread. Cool idea, which made me curious to see how many active geocachers there are in Virginia (even though I live in PA).

A check of the Virginia leaderboard at Dan Miller's Stats Site revealed that, in order to get even 100 license plates ordered, you would need 100% participation from every person who has found 15 or more caches in Virginia. Not to pee on your parade, but seems like a tall order. icon_frown.gif

By the way, I always use Dan's site to see who is active in my area and who I might want to send an e-mail to, welcoming them to the sport (or asking if they'd be interested in a specialty license plate....) It's a great resource.

Good luck with your project.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

What would life be like if there were no hypothetical questions?

Just noticed your thread. Cool idea, which made me curious to see how many active geocachers there are in Virginia (even though I live in PA).

A check of the Virginia leaderboard at Dan Miller's Stats Site revealed that, in order to get even 100 license plates ordered, you would need 100% participation from every person who has found 15 or more caches in Virginia. Not to pee on your parade, but seems like a tall order. icon_frown.gif

By the way, I always use Dan's site to see who is active in my area and who I might want to send an e-mail to, welcoming them to the sport (or asking if they'd be interested in a specialty license plate....) It's a great resource.

Good luck with your project.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

What would life be like if there were no hypothetical questions?

We would support it and order one or two. If the logo is used I think the profit sharing option should be used at $10.00. Just like using the "official" stickers or giving window clings and travel bugs as FTF prizes or stashes, the sharing would be another way to support the site costs of our game.

Team WRK&FSH

Perhaps if the money cannot go to the geocaching website (this leaves out other sites, and wouldn't really be fair, not that I care, I'm loyal to the frog) they could put the money towards supplying trucks, bags, equipment whatever for CITO events? Clean it up! If it works, maybe this could spread out to other states, and we'd have funding for all that it takes to handle the garbage. Maybe even put CITO on the plate somewhere.

Just a thought.

I though of one possible way to get the word out. When logging a find on a new cache, put in a blurb that points to this discussion. I know that when I first joined geocaching.com, I didn't read the forums for quite some time. So, by leaving a note in a log on the main website, it may get others to look here.

Gary

Great idea but I'm going through this with the Parrot Head plates.

Here's what I know:

Revenue sharing plates are a great idea if you can get the numbers. Keep in mind that the State of Virginia gets all revenue until the 1,000th plate is sold. So if you're not going to pass 1,000 then there's no reason to have a revenue sharing plate.

Make sure you have permission to use any artwork that appears on the plate. I spent a year working with Jimmy Buffett's attorneys and management before gaining permission to use the term "Parrot Head". Granted, Geocaching shouldn't be that hard.

350 doesn't sound like much but I'm having a heck of a time getting there for my plates. I have 99 to go as of now.

Then, check the rules for new plates. I believe the law changed last year and you have to have a certain amount of money up front. I could be wrong there but it's worth checking out.

Lastly, I'm sorry but I'll be getting my Parrot Head plate and there are a few other Geocachers that will too. I wish you luck though.

MeBuff8Fan

I am in the process of submitting a design to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles for the creation of a GeoCaching License Plate Design. I need some answers...<BR><BR>1. I will need at least 350 interested people to preorder the license plate design (after it is approved) before the first plate will be produced. Would we have 350 interested geocachers willing to preorder?<BR><BR>2. Should I use the GeoCaching Logo as the graphic on the plate design?<BR><BR>3. They have a profit sharing option. The specialty plates could be just $10.00 extra or $25.00 extra with a portion of the proceeds going back to the sport of geocaching. Any preference?<BR><BR>Let me know your thoughts...<BR><BR>Chris<BR>~4Finders

4Finders - whatever happened to this?

let's see.....no reply since 2006, yep, it's dead all right. Too bad too, I just started caching in 2007 so I didin't get the chance to join the list.

Lets see, the guy who started the thread hasn't logged in in a year, and hasn't found a cache since 2006. Yep, it's dead allright. :P Especially then, and probably still now, Geocaching is far too obscure of an activity where I think you'll get 350 people to sign up for a custom license plate in Virginia.

let's see.....no reply since 2006, yep, it's dead all right. Too bad too, I just started caching in 2007 so I didin't get the chance to join the list.

Lets see, the guy who started the thread hasn't logged in in a year, and hasn't found a cache since 2006. Yep, it's dead allright. ;) Especially then, and probably still now, Geocaching is far too obscure of an activity where I think you'll get 350 people to sign up for a custom license plate in Virginia.

The one idea I can give is maybe post this on the forums of all the local geocaching orgs in Virginia instead of on here. But somehow I doubt the 350 too; I don't think all the geocaching orgs in the NY City metro area here (Metro NY Geocaching Society, Long Island Geocaching Society, Northern NJ, and southern CT) even have 100 active members, and not only would they all have to be interested in plates, but in this case they are spread over 3 different states. But you never know, I mean if Parents Magazine (March 2009 edition) can mention caching as a great way to get kids outdoors, maybe it's not as obscure as we think (but given the tendency of many to try it for a bit and then stop, I think it is).

2. Should I use the GeoCaching Logo as the graphic on the plate design?

I'd have to say that I don't think I would be interested. Although it does sound like a fun idea, hasn't anyone given consideration to the fact that you are basically announcing your presence to muggles on your park and grabs?

If this proceeds, though, I would recommend against use of the Groundspeak commercial logo and suggest that the generic logo be used instead.

220px-Geocaching.svg.png

Lets see, the guy who started the thread hasn't logged in in a year, and hasn't found a cache since 2006. Yep, it's dead allright. :P Especially then, and probably still now, Geocaching is far too obscure of an activity where I think you'll get 350 people to sign up for a custom license plate in Virginia.

He quit the sport because he didn't get his caching license plate. :o

That's right, the plate would have made him feel more connected. B)

Those of you who were members back then who didn't take the license plate ball and run are why he left. Tsk-tsk-tsk.

:P