newbie upgrade question

tinkota

Hi, I just started geocaching a couple days ago, and have already found 3. yay! Sorry this is all still very fun and exciting. Ok, so here's my question. If I wait to upgrade until I've found all 30-something easy green caches in my town, will I still get my 3 favorite points? Or should I upgrade after I've found 9? I'd like to try and find all of the easy ones first,but I don't want to lose my heart points.

Thanks

Why wait to upgrade? This game is an addiction and you're hooked, so you may as well jump right in.

PS be aware that upgrading your membership on the website to Premium and upgrading a free intro app on your phone to the paid app are two separate things.

Upgrade option.

Free App.

Upgrade to Premium Member. This will show more caches, including Premium Member Only, but not ALL cache types.

Upgrade to the paid app. This will show ALL cache choices, but NOT Premium Member Only caches.

Upgrade to Premium Member, and buy the paid app. This will show ALL caches and ALL cache types.

And, yes, paying for 1 premium feature (app/membership) does NOT get the other feature as well...

Favourite points. Whatever you do, you keep the points.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi, I just started geocaching a couple days ago, and have already found 3. yay! Sorry this is all still very fun and exciting. Ok, so here's my question. If I wait to upgrade until I've found all 30-something easy green caches in my town, will I still get my 3 favorite points? Or should I upgrade after I've found 9? I'd like to try and find all of the easy ones first,but I don't want to lose my heart points.

Thanks

I'm confused. "Favorites" are a Premium Member feature. You're not a PM. You shouldn't have any "favorite" points.

What are the "3 favorite points" that you are worried about losing?

Help Center → Premium Membership → Benefits

1.6. Favorites

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

B.

I'm confused. "Favorites" are a Premium Member feature. You're not a PM. You shouldn't have any "favorite" points.

B.

Pup! I'm surprised! :o

New cachers/basic members get a 'point' for every cache they find, which will become available to award, if they upgrade to PM.

They also get a point when they become PM.

AS a PM, should you let it lapse, any caches you find don't count towards points. :(

(And you don't get a point for then renewing your membership)

B.

New cachers/basic members get a 'point' for every cache they find, which will become available to award, if they upgrade to PM.

AS a PM, should you let it lapse, any caches you find don't count towards points. :(

:lol:

It just sounded like the OP already had "hearts" or favorite points. Perhaps I'm not reading the OP correctly.

If I wait to upgrade until I've found all 30-something easy green caches in my town, will I still get my 3 favorite points? Or should I upgrade after I've found 9?

Maybe it's that bit about finding 9 caches that is really messing me up. I don't understand it at all.

Or maybe I'm just not caffeine-fueled enough yet.

Help Center → Premium Membership → Benefits

1.6. Favorites

Who can earn Favorite Points?

Only Premium Members earn Favorite Points. They get one point just for being a Premium Member, then further points by logging geocaching finds, at the rate of 1 Favorite Point per 10 finds.

If I purchase a Premium Membership later, will I be awarded Favorite Points for the geocaches I found when I was a Basic Member?

Yes - for first-time subscriptions! If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly. From there you can visit the geocache pages you found while still a Basic Member and "spend" the Favorite Points on the best ones. However, if your subscription lapses for any reason, you will not be granted Favorite Points until you renew your Premium Membership. At which time the Favorite Points will start accruing again. You are only prorated Favorite Points the first time you subscribe.

B.

I still don't get where B&R is getting the "point for every cache they find" bit.

I don't read it that way at all.

To me, it simply reads that when a new basic member become PM, they get one point just for becoming PM, and then like everyone else, get one point for every ten caches they've found.

To the OP, it shouldn't matter one way or the other, you'll still get your FP, based on 1 for every 10 caches found since starting (and a freebie one for becoming PM ).

Okay, now I understand how I got confuzzled.

Tinkota, when you purchase the PM subscription, you will get 1 favorite point for being PM. (One-time thing.)

After that, you will get 1 favorite point for every 10 caches you find. The caches you find prior to becoming PM will count towards favorite points.

So, if you log "found it" on 30 caches, you will have 4 favorite points to give out. (1 for PM + 3 for the cache finds)

If you pay for the PM at 9 finds, you will only have the 1 favorite point at that time. When you find the 10th cache, you will get 1 more favorite point.

And so on, and so on....

See, I needed more caffene and sugar. :D

B.

Reading through this thread and associated links. Wait a minute... Maybe I'm just sleepy. Are there caches premium members cannot access unless they spend the extra ten dollars on the backcountry app? Even though I'm a premium member, I still don't have access to all the caches with just the intro app?

Really?

Chris

Reading through this thread and associated links. Wait a minute... Maybe I'm just sleepy. Are there caches premium members cannot access unless they spend the extra ten dollars on the backcountry app? Even though I'm a premium member, I still don't have access to all the caches with just the intro app?

Really?

Chris

Kinda. As a premium member you have access to all caches. That's premium membership on the website. The app on the other hand is a totally different product. There are other apps, and there are also GPS units that will show all those caches. Any limitation is on the intro app itself.

Think of it this way; the premium membership is like a membership for an off road park. It allows you to access everything. The intro app is like a normal vehicle, say a Honda Civic. While you are allowed to go everywhere in the park, the Civic isn't capable of doing so. So you upgrade to a Jeep(the paid app) and you are now allowed, and able to do everything. But you don't need a Jeep. You could use a quad, or dirt bike (third party apps.) while not the same as a Jeep, the are just as capable. Or you could spend more on a lifted truck (a handheld GPS.) You have to pay yearly(or monthly) for the PM/off road park membership, but the vehicle you choose (GPS or phone app) you only pay for once.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Really?

Chris

No, you don't have access to all the types of caches and events with the intro app.

This is for the iPhone, but I assume the Android is the same:

1.21. Geocaching App/Membership Feature Comparison Chart

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=442

Help Center - Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

2. Geocaching with Free App for iPhone

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102

2.2. What is the Difference Between the Geocaching's Free App, the Full-featured App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=514

4. Geocaching with Free App for Android

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=101

4.2. What is the difference between the Geocaching Free app for Android, the Full Featured (Paid) app, and Geocaching Premium?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=504

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

T.D.M.22, Pup Patrol,

Thanks. It's a little frustrating as a noob, but I guess there's a learning curve for any hobby. Also, it's like you're not a real "premium member" until you buy both a premium membership and the app. That makes geocaching.com come across as a tad skeezy in terms of marketing.

Chris

T.D.M.22, Pup Patrol,

Thanks. It's a little frustrating as a noob, but I guess there's a learning curve for any hobby. Also, it's like you're not a real "premium member" until you buy both a premium membership and the app. That makes geocaching.com come across as a tad skeezy in terms of marketing.

Chris

That's not correct.

I'm a PM, and I have no use for any type of app. I use the website, and get all the PM perks and can see all caches.

You're using an "intro" app. Meant to "introduce" you to geocaching.

You can either use the website, or buy the full-featured app. It's your choice.

Not GS's fault if consumers don't fully research things before buying, just like in real life.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

T.D.M.22, Pup Patrol,

Chris

I disagree. Like I said before, that $10 is only one, of many options. And they are separate products. I recently joined the gym, and even though I pay for the membership, I still have to by shorts, and shoes, they don't give them to me. These aren't charities, they're businesses. They charge separately for separate products, neither of which you actually need.

Really?

Chris

No, you don't have access to all the types of caches and events with the intro app.

This is for the iPhone, but I assume the Android is the same:

1.21. Geocaching App/Membership Feature Comparison Chart

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=442

Help Center - Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

2. Geocaching with Free App for iPhone

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102

2.2. What is the Difference Between the Geocaching's Free App, the Full-featured App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=514

4. Geocaching with Free App for Android

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=101

4.2. What is the difference between the Geocaching Free app for Android, the Full Featured (Paid) app, and Geocaching Premium?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=504

B.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, but what does it mean favorite points can be seen only? On the paid app, but basic membership?

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, but what does it mean favorite points can be seen only? On the paid app, but basic membership?

I have no idea. Seems odd to me, favorites being a PM feature.

Perhaps it's a "preview" of what favorite points you would have earned if you were a PM?

Or does it mean that you can see the favorite points of each cache? That makes more sense to me, now that I think about it.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol