Oregon 6xx Geocaching dashboard Question

I just got an Oregon 600 after using an Oregon 450 for years. I really liked the 450's geocaching dashboard in which it would display the nearest geocache (or active geocache), and tapping the name would bring you straight to the description and option to navigate to it if you weren't already doing so. The Oregon 600's geocaching dashboard seems to lack this feature, where instead, tapping the nearest cache in the dashboard brings up the list of caches to choose from.

Is there a way to directly access the description of the nearest cache when not actively routing to it? So far, I can't seem to find options to make a shortcut for such a task.

[...] The Oregon 600's geocaching dashboard seems to lack this feature, where instead, tapping the nearest cache in the dashboard brings up the list of caches to choose from.[...]

That's the same behaviour then with the 450' dashboard. The (geocaching) dashboard always works that way (showing the list) when NO Goto is active. You'll need to have an active Goto for bringing up immediately sub information (logs, description, hint, photos, etc.) of the active the cache.

Hans

Edited by HHL

[...] The Oregon 600's geocaching dashboard seems to lack this feature, where instead, tapping the nearest cache in the dashboard brings up the list of caches to choose from.[...]

That's the same behaviour then with the 450' dashboard. The (geocaching) dashboard always works that way (showing the list) when NO Goto is active. You'll need to have an active Goto for bringing up immediately sub information (logs, description, hint, photos, etc.) of the active the cache.

Hans

On the 450, it shows the list when clicking on the icon that would otherwise bring you to the options to log, view hints, etc. But tapping the name brought you straight to the description with the "go" button at the bottom. This is the one feature where the 600 may be less efficient than the 450. Other than that, I'm discovering that the 600 improves a lot of my workflow with the custom button settings and custom shortcuts.

I too am considering buying an Oregon 600 after owning a 450.

Keep us posted on it, What things do you like, and not like?

I really like the new screen. It's responsive and smooth and easier to read with the backlight off, even in dim lighting situations. Maps draw and refresh much faster, especially with lots of data (geocaches) loaded. I like all the customizations that can be made. I like being able to sync my trip odometer with tracks, and pause tracking when I take a break or search for a cache. Nuvi mode when driving is fantastic - I made a profile for geocaching while driving so I can get turn-by-turn directions to the cache (with routable map loaded), and set one of the button functions to switch to direct routing when I get out of the car to make the find.

There's a lot to like. My complaint above is just a minor inconvenience compared to the improvements and benefits.

I also got mine from the sale from REI and I am still getting used to it.

I am curious what the owners of the 6X0 what have they assigned to the extra button besised the power button??

For the extra button, "User" key, I like setting the single tap to toggle screen lock. You can also program a double tap and hold for this button.

Mine has different uses depending on the profile.

For geocaching, a single tap starts/stops tracking. double tap brings up the "log geocache" screen. Hold brings up the waypoint averaging screen. Those are the three most useful features I use when specifically geocaching.

When I'm just hiking, a single tap starts/stops tracking, double tap brings up the "where to?" page, and I think I have the hold set to return to the map.

Ok, it's been 13 days with the Oregon 600. Here is my assessment so far, not that it means anything....

Issues with the 600.

1) Freezes up continually. Normally when switching functions. At least 4 times an hour, during continuous use. Even after all firmware updates, still freezes- you can't shut it off, you have to remove the batteries and let it die, give it a few minutes and then load batteries and start it up again. VERY frustrating!

2) Touch screen is WAY too sensitive!!! CONSTANT switching functions and settings while normal carrying and use. Doesn't seem to be as ruggedly handleable as the 450, more like a phone. there are only 2 settings- Normal and Very Sensitive, both are too sensitive.

3) WAY too easy to accidentally restore defaults. May not be an issue if the screen was not as sensitive.

4) There is no finds counter on the dashboard. On the 450 I would use the "Geocaching-Nearest" Profile, that is not even offered. (if I could find the profile in the 450 I'd like to copy it and try to install it in the 600!!!) In order to see how many you have found, you need to scroll out to settings >geocache>count. Very inconvenient.

5) No more "open chest" when you find it. The cache disappears. Doesn't sound like a huge issue, but it is if you are doing power caching. You need the "finds" as a quick point of reference when overlooking the map for routing and areas visited.

6) The processor doesn't seem like it can keep up. It is probably technically superior spec-wise, over the Oregon 450, but with the 600 you need to wait a few seconds after you hit "found" before you can hit "find next closest" otherwise it will route you back to the cache you just found.

7) Seems to burn through batteries WAY faster than the 450. Chirp search feature seems to affect it occasionally due to issue #2. Settings are too easily change.

Some of these issues will not be noticed by most cachers, but for those of us who do this a lot, and/or as fast as possible they are bigger issues. I never had a speed issue, routing issue, or any caching issue with the 450, I would still be using it if it hadn't stopped working after 5 years and over 40,000 finds. So far I'm giving it a 4 out of possible 10.....

1) Freezes up continually. Normally when switching functions. At least 4 times an hour, during continuous use. Even after all firmware updates, still freezes- you can't shut it off, you have to remove the batteries and let it die, give it a few minutes and then load batteries and start it up again. VERY frustrating!

Mine freezes occasionally, every few weeks that is. It's been OK for a while now.

2) Touch screen is WAY too sensitive!!! CONSTANT switching functions and settings while normal carrying and use. Doesn't seem to be as ruggedly handleable as the 450, more like a phone. there are only 2 settings- Normal and Very Sensitive, both are too sensitive.

Again, not as much of a problem even though I keep mine dangling on a lanyard most of the time.

4) There is no finds counter on the dashboard.

In dashboard go to the calendar. You will see fouds/DNFs and WPs created. Tap any day and you'll see the same for that day.

6) The processor doesn't seem like it can keep up.

CPU is faster than the 450 so there might be another issue

7) Seems to burn through batteries WAY faster than the 450. Chirp search feature seems to affect it occasionally due to issue #2. Settings are too easily change.

I use 1.5 battery sets per cachingday (@ 9-10 hours)but some of them are close to EoL I guess as in the beginning they would almost last the whole day (2300 mA)

I wonder if you got a bad one. At "13 days", it's best to look into an exchange soon, if you bought it from a vendor that allows easy exchanges. Do you use the best batteries?

Mine will become slightly more flakey while searching for Chirps, and that also kills the battery. I have a Chirp cache, but only activate Chirp search when I need it. That practice makes my new Chirp cache idea unlikely -- placing a hidden-waypoint Chirp beside a trail, where people can only "find" it by accident. It will be a super quiet cache if everybody keeps "Chirp Search" off. :anicute:

I have the Garmin clamshell case (cloth case). Not specifically for ghost button pressing, but that nothing can touch the screen while I'm hiking. I had a fitted case with a raised bezel (GizzMoVest), and my camera lens bumped the (screen protected) screen immediately, and the spring clip bent completely open on the first hike. So it's back to the clamshell case.

Without a case that prevents random taps, you need to lock the screen. This feature is accessible with a single quick press of the power button. Maybe a whole lot of random taps can cause the 600 to crash. Or affect battery life.

Edited by kunarion

Ok, it's been 13 days with the Oregon 600. Here is my assessment so far, not that it means anything....

Issues with the 600.

3) WAY too easy to accidentally restore defaults. May not be an issue if the screen was not as sensitive.

4) There is no finds counter on the dashboard. On the 450 I would use the "Geocaching-Nearest" Profile, that is not even offered. (if I could find the profile in the 450 I'd like to copy it and try to install it in the 600!!!) In order to see how many you have found, you need to scroll out to settings >geocache>count. Very inconvenient.

5) No more "open chest" when you find it. The cache disappears. Doesn't sound like a huge issue, but it is if you are doing power caching. You need the "finds" as a quick point of reference when overlooking the map for routing and areas visited.

6) The processor doesn't seem like it can keep up. It is probably technically superior spec-wise, over the Oregon 450, but with the 600 you need to wait a few seconds after you hit "found" before you can hit "find next closest" otherwise it will route you back to the cache you just found.

Some of these issues will not be noticed by most cachers, but for those of us who do this a lot, and/or as fast as possible they are bigger issues. I never had a speed issue, routing issue, or any caching issue with the 450, I would still be using it if it hadn't stopped working after 5 years and over 40,000 finds. So far I'm giving it a 4 out of possible 10.....

1. This might be a problem with your settings or data that you have loaded on the device. I've yet to experience any freezing problems.

2. Do you have battery save mode enabled? This will turn off the screen after a specified amount of time with no activity. 15 or 30 seconds seems optimal. When you're walking, you can't accidentally switch functions while the screen is off. I actually find the screen to be acceptably sensitive. It's much nicer for scrolling than the 450

3. maybe only an issue if you haven't resolved #2.

4. Was there a finds counter in the dashboard of the 450? I don't remember it. But if you see my other thread, there are behaviors with the geocaching dashboard that I did like in the 450 that aren't in the 600. Minor inconvenience and just requires a change of workflow.

5. Simply turn on "found" caches in filters. I actually like that it now disappears by default. It declutters the map.

6. Maybe only a problem with LOTS of geocaches loaded? It works instantly for me with about 3000 loaded up. Map redraws are way faster than the 450. Lots of things are faster than the 450.

7. I have yet to actually time a battery run, mostly because I have my trip computer attached to tracking, so the time reading wouldn't be accurate. You're going to burn through batteries faster as you play with it and adjust settings and such. My guess is when the novelty wears off and you start using it "normally," you'll see an increase in battery life. But this thing is nice. When hiking, there's almost no need to use the backlight at all. Power saving mode is your friend, both for battery life and screen sensitivity issues. Also, if you loaded your 600 up with more data (geocaches, maps, etc.) than you would have with your 450, you may use more power just reading the data.

I rate it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Mine will become slightly more flakey while searching for Chirps, and that also kills the battery. I have a Chirp cache, but only activate Chirp search when I need it. That practice makes my new Chirp cache idea unlikely -- placing a hidden-waypoint Chirp beside a trail, where people can only "find" it by accident. It will be a super quiet cache if everybody keeps "Chirp Search" off. :anicute:

Make sure that users know that they'll need to turn chirp on and they will.

Without a case that prevents random taps, you need to lock the screen.

Again, using the battery save mode will also prevent random taps. When the screen is turned off, you have to press a button to turn it back on, unlike the 450 where you could just tap the screen.

Edited by mineral2

6. Maybe only a problem with LOTS of geocaches loaded? It works instantly for me with about 3000 loaded up. Map redraws are way faster than the 450. Lots of things are faster than the 450.

I had 27000 caches loaded when on holiday in Denmark, no difference in speed if only 100 are loaded.

I rate it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

I agree.

Remember you can personalize just about anything on the 600 series, that means if there's a function that's not to your liking you can probably change it. There's a great wiki for it.

Make sure that users know that they'll need to turn chirp on and they will.

I have a cache page that goes into great detail about how to receive it's Chirp signals successfully. But my new idea is to have the waypoint hidden, entirely secret. Sure, I can tell them to keep Chirp search turned on everywhere they go. But the plan is that some cacher would "find" the signal by sheer luck someday, because he happened to have Chirp search turned on, with no advance info that he was supposed to do that. The idea is for FTF to have to think outside the box. A special clue that the Chirp is to be found by leaving Chirp Search turned on while walking around town, tips my hand.

Edited by kunarion
you can personalize just about anything on the 600 series, that means if there's a function that's not to your liking you can probably change it.

The "Geocaching" profile was entirely non-intuitive to me for actual Geocaching. Especially that fancy "Geocaching Dashboard". It's flashy, and useless. It points to the closest cache, even when you're trying to navigate to a different waypoint. It occupies the space required for 4 useful customized dashboard items. I have two "Geocaching" Profiles, one called "CachingCar" (not to be confused with "Automotive" which I have for car use while not caching). For each Profile, I've set up a specially crafted Dashboard, and moved all the most useful menu icons onto the first and 2nd screens. The default map view was wrong, as well, since it was hiding cache icons at zoom levels I often use.

I haven't changed the hardware buttons as mentioned in a previous post. I'll probably keep "Save Waypoint" for walking while caching, but will consider another use for that button in the "CachingCar" Profile.

Edited by kunarion
5. Simply turn on "found" caches in filters.

Yes, that's right! The "smilie" filter arrives from the factory already filtered, greyed-out. As with salz69, I prefer all the info available on-screen, Found or not. But it's simple to change once you figure out what to change. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Especially that fancy "Geocaching Dashboard". It's flashy, and useless. It points to the closest cache, even when you're trying to navigate to a different waypoint. It occupies the space required for 4 useful customized dashboard items.

I only use the geocaching dashboard when going for a Traditional or solved mystery, all other times (we prefer multi's) I use "small data fields" with the info I need (distance to WP, total distance, avg. speed, speed)

I couldn't disagree more about the dashboard being flashy and useless, I've found over 50,000 caches that way and want to continue. I can't understand why someone would try to tell me what I'm doing is wrong. If you find something that works, stick with it, too bad the 450 died. I have never loaded more than 3500 caches on the 600, because I like to refresh my files more often than that- for new logs, possible issues and newly published caches. So that shouldn't be the issue. The freezing up happens so regularly on this one that I have to take it back- at a minimum of 4 times an hour- we normally cache for 12-16 hours a day- too frustrating. I use top of the line rechargeable batteries, and generally get about 2 hours out of them- may point to another issue with THIS unit, battery saver mode is on.

Basically, as far as the 450's "Geocaching Nearest" profile is concerned, if there were a line of code or file I could copy and use it for the 600, I would. When you cache the way I do- and don't tell me I'm doing it wrong, things like the found caches and finds counter are important. If you add "found" caches to your search, then you will automatically route to the found cache when you hit "find next closest". I just want the icon there for area familiarity and routing. Not everybody like to cache fast, but I do.

I couldn't disagree more about the dashboard being flashy and useless, I've found over 50,000 caches that way and want to continue.

Well, you can continue to find caches that way. As on the 450, the Geocaching "Nearest" dashboard (called Geocaching Dashboard on the 600) points to the nearest unfound cache. For many people, it is... let's say... confusing :ph34r: ...to be directed at any time to the nearest unfound cache. Especially when hunting another, or a waypoint. Regardless, the feature exists.

Basically, as far as the 450's "Geocaching Nearest" profile is concerned, if there were a line of code or file I could copy and use it for the 600, I would.

Is that a factory provided Profile? Maybe there's a setting within the 600's Profiles that could be done in a similar way. [EDIT: after poking around, I think "Geocaching Nearest" is a Dashboard on the 450, not actually a Profile. The Geocaching Dashboard on the 6xx is that same dashboard. Just flashier :ph34r:].

It would be cool to have both the "Open Chests" on the map and the "Find a Geocache" list simultaneously, as the 450 did. I can almost do that on the 600 with filters, but it takes a couple of extra taps to do. The 450 had "Find a Geocache" and "Show Found" buttons, two separate lists. Actually, for me that was inconvenient at times. But the 650 definitely organizes things a new way.

When you cache the way I do- and don't tell me I'm doing it wrong, things like the found caches and finds counter are important.

OK, I'm not telling you you're wrong (And can we tone down the animosity a little? This thread has expressly been about ideas to customize an Oregon 6xx exactly as each person prefers). But the Finds counter is in the same place on the 600 as it was on the 450. At least the setting is.

Edited by kunarion

I just got an Oregon 600 after using an Oregon 450 for years. I really liked the 450's geocaching dashboard in which it would display the nearest geocache (or active geocache), and tapping the name would bring you straight to the description and option to navigate to it if you weren't already doing so. The Oregon 600's geocaching dashboard seems to lack this feature, where instead, tapping the nearest cache in the dashboard brings up the list of caches to choose from.

While reconfiguring my 550 to answer an unrelated question, I tested the dashboard, and at least the 550 is behaving differently than you say (can't test the 450, sadly, mine's long gone). It's like the 600, in when not navigating to a cache a tap on the Geocaching Dashboard brings you to the list of Geocaches (View Your Geocaches on the 550, and the filtered list on the 650). While actively navigating to a cache, a tap on the dashboard brings up the cache page on either device. Did the 450 behave differently? If so, that feature had vanished a couple of models ago. I don't know why it would not bring up the "nearest cache's" page, since it's already pointing there. But it doesn't anymore. Maybe the "nearest cache" feature is designed to be a way to Geocache without pushing buttons.

One difference is there is no selection for the "Geocache - Active" dashboard on the 6xx. But it automatically switches to that dashboard when a cache navigation is active on either model.

Is there a way to directly access the description of the nearest cache when not actively routing to it? So far, I can't seem to find options to make a shortcut for such a task.

I can't find that yet.

Edited by kunarion

62adaad0-3a0c-409c-8aba-057ba27ee85c.jpg this is the dashboard I was talking about. Do you see the "3" under the compass? that is the counter- no having to scroll away from the map screen the count is right there. Once again, with the open chest icons, you can use them as points of reference when routing. My only question would be why can't this dashboard, that has everything be used in the 600 so you don't have to scroll away from screen to screen.

No animosity was meant, it was just worded as if I was being told the "right" way to do something wasn't the way I did it.

this is the dashboard I was talking about. Do you see the "3" under the compass? that is the counter- no having to scroll away from the map screen the count is right there. Once again, with the open chest icons, you can use them as points of reference when routing. My only question would be why can't this dashboard, that has everything be used in the 600 so you don't have to scroll away from screen to screen.

No animosity was meant, it was just worded as if I was being told the "right" way to do something wasn't the way I did it.

Yes, I found that screen. It shows "Last find" and all. That's certainly not on the 6xx, at least how I've set mine. There is a selection in "Setup" to type the total number of Finds if different than shown. And the Calendar shows a list and count of all that were found on a given day. Are you looking for a total (like 50,000 caches)? Or a count of the caches found today (like 3 caches found so far today)? If it's the latter, that's in the Calendar. I may use that on a busy day with friends, to compare the count and ensure I've logged all the caches.

Garmin may be listening to hear if anyone notices/cares that the cache count is missing from the Dashboard. So you may ask them if there's a plan to restore it.

Edited by kunarion

It would be great to Garmin listen in to some of the people who use them regularly. I would be equally interested in getting the open chest icons back without setting my filter to show found, and always routing to a cache I have found.

My only real complaint (and I knew about it going into this) is that I have to take off the carabiner clip in order to get to the USB port. It's a real annoyance and can't be fixed with a software update. But, it's not a deal breaker and I'll just live with it.

My only real complaint (and I knew about it going into this) is that I have to take off the carabiner clip in order to get to the USB port. It's a real annoyance and can't be fixed with a software update. But, it's not a deal breaker and I'll just live with it.

In the other thread where I was asking questions about the 64s and the 600, my last post was about the fellow cacher who met up with me this weekend to let me check both the 650 and the 64st out. On his 650, he trimmed and sanded down the bottom of the clip to allow access to the USB port without removing it from the unit. Couldnt really even tell that he had done it until he showed me. Maybe an option?

Edited by Dradicus

In the other thread where I was asking questions about the 64s and the 600, my last post was about the fellow cacher who met up with me this weekend to let me check both the 650 and the 64st out. On his 650, he trimmed and sanded down the bottom of the clip to allow access to the USB port without removing it from the unit. Couldnt really even tell that he had done it until he showed me. Maybe an option?

I can also plug in if I use an L-shapped connector like the ones that come with Nuvis.

Today I went to look at my tracklog and it seems that it 'cut'/'stopped' in places and I have gaps in the tracklog.

How can I make it that it tracks like the 550?

This is what I got yesterday on a hike.

tracklog_zps440s7ope.jpg

As you can see the line to the left is not full, it should loop back to the vertical line.

Edited by ZeMartelo

I can also plug in if I use an L-shapped connector like the ones that come with Nuvis.

That's an awesome idea! I tried it just now with my Nuvi plug, and with some effort, got it to work. I see some cord possibilities online. Then there's this adapter. If I could keep it plugged in, it could be faster and easier than removing the clip.

6f97e73f-329a-406e-a6a9-5a77f912bfc2.jpg

It's a good thing I didn't trim the clip on my clamshell case. On the new case, the clip broke (which I've since somewhat patched up), so I traded it with my 550's case (same kind of cloth case). It would be bad to now have less leverage on the 550 unnecessarily. :laughing:

Edited by kunarion

That's an awesome idea! I tried it just now with my Nuvi plug, and with some effort, got it to work. I see some cord possibilities online. Then there's this adapter. If I could keep it plugged in, it could be faster and easier than removing the clip.

6f97e73f-329a-406e-a6a9-5a77f912bfc2.jpg

It's a good thing I didn't trim the clip on my clamshell case. On the new case, the clip broke (which I've since somewhat patched up), so I traded it with my 550's case (same kind of cloth case). It would be bad to now have less leverage on the 550 unnecessarily. :laughing:

I use this one here and it works perfectly, but I also like that one, where do you get it?