Favorite Things to Find in a Cache

I have seen some threads about the WORST things to find in caches, but, so far, none about what people LIKE to see when they open them.

I JUST became interested in this hobby, and have never actually hid, or, opened a cache, and, am trying to get an idea of things to take with me, to put into a cache I might find.

I see all sorts of coins and trinkets on geocaching sites, but, are those things really desired?

What makes an item cool or a good idea?

What do YOU like to see?

I don't go to caches with the thought of taking something. I'll buy what I need.

Sometimes I'm interested in someone's sig item.

- And there have been times when a cache saved my bacon.

One trip, I hit a deer on the way to a night cache. CJ said, "well, we're almost there anyway", and we completed the night tour.

At the final, a roll of some super tape, stronger than any duct tape was inside.

Traded for everything I had on me.

- We held up the grill, lights and the left side of the bumper with it to drive home. :laughing:

Ponchos, tire guages, sealed batteries, sealed mini first aid kits...

We placed totes umbrellas in ammo cans for a few years, thinking folks would use 'em to protect caches in rain.

Taken, but we never see anyone using one...

- So I guess (for me) pretty-much anything that could be used at that time (bug wipes!) might be good.

1432137344[/url]' post='5506705']

I don't go to caches with the thought of taking something. I'll buy what I need.

Sometimes I'm interested in someone's sig item.

- And there have been times when a cache saved my bacon.

One trip, I hit a deer on the way to a night cache. CJ said, "well, we're almost there anyway", and we completed the night tour.

At the final, a roll of some super tape, stronger than any duct tape was inside.

Traded for everything I had on me.

- We held up the grill, lights and the left side of the bumper with it to drive home. :laughing:

Ponchos, tire guages, sealed batteries, sealed mini first aid kits...

We placed totes umbrellas in ammo cans for a few years, thinking folks would use 'em to protect caches in rain.

Taken, but we never see anyone using one...

- So I guess (for me) pretty-much anything that could be used at that time (bug wipes!) might be good.

This time of year, a definitive yes on the bug wipes.

A clean container.

Dry logbook.

A travel bug off course!

A large logbook, preferable an old one with lots of signatures and maybe even a written log, and not just the signature.

Some small toys, a plastic horse, some marbles, a bracelet, keyring . Stuff kids like since they often cache with me.

I have learned to bring my own pen, but a working pen in a cache is nice to.

I made this Daleks zipper pull

7945ef08-9984-4e75-82cd-1da4afe2ad5c.jpg

and left it in a cache.

Got this message today:

• I found GCXXXX. You had left a Dalek zipper pull in there that you had made - it's AMAZING! ... I traded four pieces of swag for it. I just love it and already have it on my backpack zipper. ...you've really inspired me to try and start making my own geoswag.

I love finding trackables of any sort - TBs, geocoins, those other coin-like objects that shall not be named. I love TBs especially - I love seeing where they started out, all the hands that helped them along their journey, how many miles they've travelled.

Like Mr.jonsey and Geogal, I like to trade out items and keep the swag in my 'cache stash.' Someday I'm going to place a regular sized cache and fill it up with all the stuff I've traded for.

I'll second a dry logbook (large) and add a writing instrument. I'm so old school I refuse to carry a pencil or pen with me. :rolleyes:

Funny you said that... :)

A cache I just did OM on, has a couple of logs stating "no pen", "Cache in good condition, no pen".

Container, contents and log's dry...

Many we know have had NM over "no pen".

I could put six in and by next week, with only two people visiting, all six'd be gone.

I finally had to put a notice on the cache page, that adults who cache know they need a pen by now.

I'm done feeding them to 'em. :)

Edited by cerberus1

When I do a Letterbox Hybrid, I like to see a stamp. Any stamp. I think I am more likely to be hit by lightning when finding a Letterbox than finding a stamp within.

It is always good to see a variety of swag. Even if there is nothing that my son wants to trade for, it is nice to have choices.

Travel bugs and geocoins are always great to find.

I like Trackables, and handmade stuff is cool. I have kids, so toys is larger caches. For the toys, you can go to a flea market and stock up random stuff to put in your caches for cheap. I don't even expect there to be a pen or pencil in the cache anymore...but having one in there would be nice.

The coolest thing I have ever found in a cache would have to be a Silver Dollar that commemorated Confederation when the colonies of Upper and Lower Canada, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia merged together to create the great country of Canada :D I could not believe someone left that in a container!

Another thing I love is a Ontario cacher named Fababoo, who every year comes out with a new Christmas cache that is filled to the brim with brand new unique christmas ornaments. I think he works for an engraving company or something because they look professionally done wooden ornaments. They are super cool! I think I have 6 of them at this point.

I have seen some threads about the WORST things to find in caches, but, so far, none about what people LIKE to see when they open them.

I JUST became interested in this hobby, and have never actually hid, or, opened a cache, and, am trying to get an idea of things to take with me, to put into a cache I might find.

I see all sorts of coins and trinkets on geocaching sites, but, are those things really desired?

What makes an item cool or a good idea?

What do YOU like to see?

I like to see trackables and handmade swag. Also, I love chickens, and got so excited when I saw a little plastic chicken about 1 inch tall.

Edited by thatbrowncat

When I do a Letterbox Hybrid, I like to see a stamp. Any stamp. I think I am more likely to be hit by lightning when finding a Letterbox than finding a stamp within.

It is always good to see a variety of swag. Even if there is nothing that my son wants to trade for, it is nice to have choices.

Travel bugs and geocoins are always great to find.

I think this is because dumb-dumbs take the stamp.

Try to find anything interesting - I found a small info booklet on tree leaves and still have it. Playing cards of interest, puzzles and games! I left a garden hose repair part several times and it goes fast! frig magnets that look like push pins were great. Pocket knifes are not allowed but men like them and women remove them! Very cheap very useful! Knife sharperers! Magic tricks for the kids and toys! Compass of course!

Just keep stuff in mind and you will run across good stuff at yard sales really cheap! We need more ammo cans to get good size stuff in there -avoid small containers - gives us some room to trade t-shirts and kitchen towels and crazy socks! Glad you are interested in great trade items. Write down the ones you like to find as well!

Good luck and don't hide anything until you are excited about how great your hide is - one great one out does 100 lame ones!

Great thread. I don't tend to take anything but I like to leave whatever I can fit into a cache. Geotokens, badges, keyrings, toys, etc.

Funnily enough after several moves I just found a box containing all sorts of Geocaching bits and swag goodies. I'd completely forgotten I'd bought it all.

There's 11 TBs (unregistered)

Keyrings

bouncy balls

info

log books

keychains

skipping ropes

badges

geotokens

.....and a 6" cuddly Signal the Frog (the geocaching mascot)

dsc006751.jpg

When I do a Letterbox Hybrid, I like to see a stamp. Any stamp. I think I am more likely to be hit by lightning when finding a Letterbox than finding a stamp within. It is always good to see a variety of swag. Even if there is nothing that my son wants to trade for, it is nice to have choices. Travel bugs and geocoins are always great to find.

This! Letterboxes with stamps are gold!

I love letterbox stamps, path tags and other such personalised signature items, that push past the usual marinated yardstick.

My husband think's he's hit the jackpot when someones made an effort polishing a lovely stone, or left a travel bug.

My son is building up an amazing collection of marbles through swapping out.

My daughter loves beaded craft items, shells, loom bands etc.

We cache with kids, so keep a decent supply of swag on us to switch out for. They children are reasonably well versed in CITO and leaving caches better than as we found, for families following our footsteps.

When I do a Letterbox Hybrid, I like to see a stamp. Any stamp. I think I am more likely to be hit by lightning when finding a Letterbox than finding a stamp within. It is always good to see a variety of swag. Even if there is nothing that my son wants to trade for, it is nice to have choices. Travel bugs and geocoins are always great to find.

I love letterbox stamps, path tags and other such personalised signature items, that push past the usual marinated yardstick.

My husband think's he's hit the jackpot when someones made an effort polishing a lovely stone, or left a travel bug.

We cache with kids, so keep a decent supply of swag on us to switch out for. They children are reasonably well versed in CITO and leaving caches better than as we found, for families following our footsteps.

Letterbox stamps aren't swag. They are part of the cache.

I once found a brand new child-sized Seahawk jersey in a Hawk-themed cache near their practice facility. So cool and very generous! I appreciate this thread. As a fairly new cacher this has given me many good ideas for swag. Thanks everyone!

Wow! Did you take the jersey? What did you trade for that, in keeping with the "Trade Up, or Trade Even" ethic of Geocaching?

I've found weed in several caches which is cool but inappropriate for kids. I stock up on small toys at the dollar store and value village dinosaurs, bugs and snakes, marbles, whatever really. When I place a cache I always leave an unactivated trackable for the FTF and I spend a little more on the swag.

Wow. The level of misunderstanding regarding swag etiquette is amazing.

Re: Seahawks jersey...yes, that's cool swag, but it shouldn't be viewed as someone being "generous"....did you take the jersey? And did you trade something of relatively equal value for it? Cache trade items are just that, TRADE ITEMS....they are to be traded for....they are not free gifts.

Letterbox stamps are also NOT TRADE ITEMS! Letterboxing is a different game than Geocaching. Letterboxers use the stamp in the letterbox to stamp their personal log book and use their personal stamp to mark the letterbox's log book. If the stamp is missing the letterbox doesn't work. Taking a letterbox's stamp ruins their game as much as muggling a cache ruins ours. Just don't do it.

Finally, if you find alcohol or any other prohibited item in a cache (drugs, weapons, food, etc) don't leave it in there. These are also not valid trade items. They don't belong in a cache and should be removed and disposed of (or I guess consumed if you feel brave....I wouldn't advise it though). The cache owner and future finders will thank you for it.

Rant off.

Honestly?

Fireworks, ammo, nude pics, zippo lighters, knives... the thought of finding something you shouldn't have is most exciting, nothing else even registers.

Ha-ha, a refreshing honest answer. I'm sure the OP knows not to leave such things.

The question brought to mind the debate many months ago about whether condoms were "family friendly" items to leave. :rolleyes:

Low-priced but interesting trinkets and toys, in good condition, are typical good-swag items.

Honestly?

Fireworks, ammo, nude pics, zippo lighters, knives... the thought of finding something you shouldn't have is most exciting, nothing else even registers.

Ha-ha, a refreshing honest answer. I'm sure the OP knows not to leave such things.

The question brought to mind the debate many months ago about whether condoms were "family friendly" items to leave. :rolleyes:

Low-priced but interesting trinkets and toys, in good condition, are typical good-swag items.

But you haven't answered the question: what do YOU like?

Letterbox stamps aren't swag. They are part of the cache.

Thread title is about what you would like to find not trade.

Personally, I enjoy finding (and leaving) handmade SWAG. It's always fun to see what other creative and talented things my fellow cachers can do.

Although I rarely take anything from a cache (just finding it is often thrill enough) it's always sad to find a regular or large size cache that has plenty of room for trade items empty. In the cache description the CO has listed a whole lot of good stuff he/she put in at the beginning; but the cache has been picked clean. It's obvious that some cachers have not followed the "trade evenly" rule. I don't have kids of my own; but I know a lot of people cache with their kids and it's a big incentive for them to find the prize, so I usually try to trade "up". Frequently I don't take anything; but still leave something good - or take something small and cheap, and leave something even nicer as trade.

Personally, I enjoy finding (and leaving) handmade SWAG. It's always fun to see what other creative and talented things my fellow cachers can do.

Although I rarely take anything from a cache (just finding it is often thrill enough) it's always sad to find a regular or large size cache that has plenty of room for trade items empty. In the cache description the CO has listed a whole lot of good stuff he/she put in at the beginning; but the cache has been picked clean. It's obvious that some cachers have not followed the "trade evenly" rule. I don't have kids of my own; but I know a lot of people cache with their kids and it's a big incentive for them to find the prize, so I usually try to trade "up". Frequently I don't take anything; but still leave something good - or take something small and cheap, and leave something even nicer as trade.

i like to find a cared for cache!

I generally cache with a selection of small children who like to find something/anything! marbles, bouncy balls, small toys, hair clips ( but only those that are in a sealed packet/on a card/look new! ) are all popular here. we leave an assortment of small toys/marbles/key rings and I'm slowly leaving a huge collection of moshlings about the countryside! even if we don't take anything, I always put something in.

like the poster above, we get so disappointed at a big box with just a few damp business cards in, a rusty screw and a broken elastic band! ( a recent find! )