Suggestion: Remove 'Current Streak' from statistics

3GDs

It might be a bit controversial but I think removing the 'Current Streak' statistic would be beneficial. Many times I see cachers travelling miles and miles by car to get one single smiley only to do a similar journey again the next day to get another smiley which was 161m away! Ridiculous! This goes on day after day basically wasting fuel over a statistic which means nothing, only to the cacher. Same thing goes for FTF but thankfully this isn't a stat.

So I say, remove this 'Current Streak' nonsense as it only encourages cachers to get a minimum daily geocache which I believe isn't in the spirit of the game. It's environmentally irresponsible.

It might be a bit controversial but I think removing the 'Current Streak' statistic would be beneficial. Many times I see cachers travelling miles and miles by car to get one single smiley only to do a similar journey again the next day to get another smiley which was 161m away! Ridiculous! This goes on day after day basically wasting fuel over a statistic which means nothing, only to the cacher. Same thing goes for FTF but thankfully this isn't a stat.

So I say, remove this 'Current Streak' nonsense as it only encourages cachers to get a minimum daily geocache which I believe isn't in the spirit of the game. It's environmentally irresponsible.

Not a chance that will ever happen. That stat helps feed the addiction that supports this site. :laughing:

For some areas, keeping up with a streak may be as simple as walking a few blocks.

You yourself call this a game. It's still a hobby to me...

Games have points, stats, and (usually) competition with others.

There are so many different ways to play this game and all the associated side-games, good luck attempting to make folks change now.

- As you say, it means something to someone. :)

Until I can commute on air, travel is gonna mean using gas.

- And seeing batteries made, I feel electric is merely a feel-good option.

I use more gas going to work than I'd ever use in a day of caching, as (for me) geocaching's still a good walk in the woods, not stopping every 528' at roadside.

- Though now I often have to drive a good distance in my car to get there. ;)

It wouldn't make any difference. There are other ways of keeping stats. Those working on their stats will still drive out for their daily "fix" (or log 2-3 at a time with different dates).

I like the statistics, "current streak" or not. BTW, "current streak" is on 0 or 1 most of the time for me. Longest streak is 14 as we were on holiday and happened to find at least 1 cache every day.

If current streak is to be removed, then what about best day/month.... what about furthest away from home?

No matter what you can make a competition out of everything, removing anything from a profile makes no difference.

Edited by on4bam

Do you really think they drive out there every day to find another cache? :blink:

Yes as they did it again tonight. I know the stat is not going to be removed but just wanted to say that it is detrimental to the environment.

"Carrying on my streak of 20 days" ..who gives a f***

Thank you for listening.

How many people do you think are maintaining these "environmentally irresponsible" extended streaks?

How many of them do you think would quit just because Groundspeak stopped displaying the Current Streak statistic?

To answer your question, not me. I could care less what my current 'streak' is. However, I did decide to complete the 365/6 grid, as a New Years resolution. As the grid was quite empty when I made that decision, I had to do lots of 'one cache a day' trips, because caches around my area can be a little sparse. And I did, one cache a day, because my conscience wouldn't let me cheat. Coming up this August, I'm going to start that up again, because that is how far I made it before I had to break my resolution.

I also just completed a 2,500 work/geocaching trip. If it was just for work, I would have driven under 1,200 miles. The remaining 1,300 miles was geocaching. And I only went after about 30 caches. 1,300 miles for 30 geocaches. That's roughly one geocache per 45 miles. They were caches that I wanted to get for a variety of reasons. Jasmer, GeoTour, Favorite, Oldie, D/T, etc.

So, am I environmentally friendly? Not when it comes to Geocaching, unless, of course, it is a CITO event. And, removing the 'Current Streak' from the statistics isn't going to change that for me. :-)

Skye.

Do you really think they drive out there every day to find another cache? :blink:

Yes as they did it again tonight. I know the stat is not going to be removed but just wanted to say that it is detrimental to the environment.

"Carrying on my streak of 20 days" ..who gives a f***

Thank you for listening.

I'm betting they aren't making the trip daily. What's more likely is they did the whole run of caches on a single day (maybe two), writing a different date on each one...and then they just log one cache each day from home.

Edited by J Grouchy
I'm betting they aren't making the trip daily. What's more likely is they did the whole run of caches on a single day (maybe two), writing a different date on each one...and then they just log one cache each day from home.
I can't speak for everyone of course, but for me and the geocachers I know who have maintained streaks, yes, we really did find caches on the days they were logged.

Quite honestly, if that cacher purchased that fuel, it is theirs to use however they see fit. Where do you draw the line on being 'environmentally irresponsible'? The entire game of geocaching could be considered a waste of fuel if one drives to get caches, depending on who you ask, or it can be a rewarding activity which brings much happiness to those who participate. If you see going out for one cache as not worth it, then by all means you should not do it, but I think each cacher can make that decision for themselves. I personally like the stat.

Why is it that everyone has to try and change the way this Hobby/Game is played to suit their likes or dislikes. If you don't like streaks don't do them. If you don't like challenges, don't do them. I'm not a certified scuba diver and it would be expensive to become one. Should they ban scuba caches? It could be dangerous to climb high in a tree, should they ban tree hides?

The answer to both is NO. It very simple....IF YOU LIKE IT DO IT, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T DO IT!!!

Things like this lead me to think this is why a one year moratorium was placed on challenges. For those of us who have been in the game for years, this kinds of things add a little more excitement to the game.

Why is it that everyone has to try and change the way this Hobby/Game is played to suit their likes or dislikes. If you don't like streaks don't do them. If you don't like challenges, don't do them. I'm not a certified scuba diver and it would be expensive to become one. Should they ban scuba caches? It could be dangerous to climb high in a tree, should they ban tree hides?

The answer to both is NO. It very simple....IF YOU LIKE IT DO IT, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T DO IT!!!

Things like this lead me to think this is why a one year moratorium was placed on challenges. For those of us who have been in the game for years, this kinds of things add a little more excitement to the game.

While I kinda agree, others likes/dislikes had nothing to do with the moratorium.

It was COs trying to sneak by/through/pushing the guidelines, then appealing when denied, like it was someone's elses fault.

There's a few threads with the moratorium explained.

I don't see this ever happening. If a cacher lives in an area where they have to travel 161 miles for a single cache, then that cache must have some significance other than a daily streak. It could be for another challenge, such as the jasmer, or to fulfill a certain challenge cache. Or there are so few caches in their area that they have to drive that far to find one? As for wasting their fuel, it's their choice to do that. It's their fuel and their statistic. Geocachers are some of the most ecological sound and pro-environment people I've known. In my area, I know of cachers who have a daily streak going who don't own a car, use mass transit, and take bicycles when they cache. It's how they choose to participate, and it's their choice.

I'm just fine with these stats. I figure I've got the most impressive combination of anyone. ;)

Longest Streak 1836 consecutive days with finds from 08/17/2009 to 08/26/2014

Longest Slump 1364 consecutive days without a find from 06/23/2003 to 03/18/2007

I had to work hard (and not) to earn them. :)

If a cacher lives in an area where they have to travel 161 miles for a single cache [...]
I see cachers travelling miles and miles by car to get one single smiley only to do a similar journey again the next day to get another smiley which was 161m away!

m = meters

mi = miles

3GDs was talking about cachers making multiple trips to find a group of caches which are 1/10 mile (161 meters) from each other.

Edward