Colorado Geo-Art to be Archived...

Groundspeak needs to stop publishing power trails. They are giving caching a bad name.

As I've been saying since the first power trails started appearing, no good would come out of taking a low impact, low visibility activity and turning it into a high impact, high visibility one. And that's precisely what these PTs and most of the "geo art" have done.

I was pretty much a voice in the wilderness in the beginning. Glad to see that more and more people are starting see this nonsense for what it is, a threat to the long term viability of our game. We're already seeing the fallout from power caching in NJ with a new, draconian state parks policy and a total ban on some state lands.

At yet, what do I see on the geocaching.com home page, proudly displayed for the world to see "There are 2,641,900 active geocaches..." The low impact, low visibility factor isn't what the mothership is promoting.

It's not just power trails and geo art. It's time to consider if there are just too darn many geocaches, period and if maybe the possible places we can hide them in accordance to the guidelines got a little narrower.

Groundspeak needs to stop publishing power trails. They are giving caching a bad name.

As I've been saying since the first power trails started appearing, no good would come out of taking a low impact, low visibility activity and turning it into a high impact, high visibility one. And that's precisely what these PTs and most of the "geo art" have done.

I was pretty much a voice in the wilderness in the beginning. Glad to see that more and more people are starting see this nonsense for what it is, a threat to the long term viability of our game. We're already seeing the fallout from power caching in NJ with a new, draconian state parks policy and a total ban on some state lands.

At yet, what do I see on the geocaching.com home page, proudly displayed for the world to see "There are 2,641,900 active geocaches..." The low impact, low visibility factor isn't what the mothership is promoting.

It's not just power trails and geo art. It's time to consider if there are just too darn many geocaches, period and if maybe the possible places we can hide them in accordance to the guidelines got a little narrower.

Apparently the state of New Jersey decided that.

If this is a poll, I'm casting my vote with you! Very well put.

When the "please don't place a cache every 600' just because you can" language was removed from the guidelines in 2009 I wrote here that it was the worst decision GS has ever made. I still stand by that statement.

The statement was removed from the guidelines on April 23rd, 2012.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, MindlessEngine said:

It looks like power trails are here to stay now........... GS just added the power trail attribute..........

After 8 years might as well.

Have there been any further such incidents with other powertrails or geoart in the 5 years since the Colorado kerfuffle covered in this thread?

I have found that anyone living on a county road out on the boonies has the potential to get huffy and all proprietary about their 'space', even on public roadways.  Had one guy complain that our driving by was upsetting his dogs.  Our stop was a good half mile past them.  When we made the return trip, he stood in the middle of the road, blocking it, to let us know what he thought.  Almost suggested that he have a chat with his dogs instead of with us.  That one was GC7H63J, but is just one example of several.  Had to pull the cache to avoid the complaints.

We've also seen a couple of instances where a group of 'residents' on a county road put up a chained gate across the road and daisy chained locks (everyone has their own lock, and hence their own key to break the chain) to keep 'outsiders' out, in spite of the fact that it IS a county road, not a private driveway.  Takes some real balls to block a public thoroughfare.  Yes, we actually checked.  Yes, it is.  Hope they have formed their own volunteer fire department.

• Surprised 2