Sign in to follow this  
Followers 9
AllstarSS

False Discoveries - This is getting old!

113 posts in this topic

I don't think they should be eliminated as well, especially when you consider the fact that for the most part they are used properly and do serve a purpose.

If you truly have the impression that most discovery logs serve a purpose this can only refer to the purpose to increase the number of logged travellers or number if icons for the logger.

I guess alone the discovery logs which happen during or after :rolleyes: events will account for the vast majority of all discovery logs. And don't tell me you have seen more than a handfull of those which serves a purpose for the owner].

I remember that around when you started, folks were already griping in these forums about trackables at events.

- Though at the time, in this area, they were still being Discovered with the Owner present.

I believe this problem is regional, more than standard everywhere, and that most Discover logs support that.

We'd still Discover trackables we can't take with us, as we've always done (Owners here appreciate it) , if there was one in a cache anymore... :)

0

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't run into the problem yet...

 

 

Dang! I've got the problem now. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

 

Getting French and German discovered logs on a trackable in my collection. This particular trackable is a micro-geocoin in the shape of the symbol for a multi-cache. I have one for each type of cache I have found. I drilled holes in them, and sewed them to my hat. Kind of a trophy/bragging hat. The code is on the back side, and is not visible. The only way to get the code is to ask me for it. Being as I rarely attend events, no one has ever asked me for it.

 

Obviously, it was logged by someone trying all possible combinations, and getting lucky. Now it's on a list somewhere. Looks like I'm going to have to lock it now.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Here's my solution to the lying "discovery" logs : as far as I can see, the only motivation is to increase the number of trackables recorded on the cachers profile, yes ?

So, keep the various trackable log types, but simply eliminate 'discovered' logs from the count.

 

That way folk who meet a TO, or see an interesting item, can record that event. Cachers who want to leave an informative log saying 'it's in the listed cache but I didn't move it on' can do so.

 

I can't see any negatives for the trackable owners in this, or for anyone else apart from the virtual/lying loggers, but I'm sure I've missed something obvious ....

0

Share this post


Link to post

Here's my solution to the lying "discovery" logs : as far as I can see, the only motivation is to increase the number of trackables recorded on the cachers profile, yes ?

So, keep the various trackable log types, but simply eliminate 'discovered' logs from the count.

One could make the same argument to advocate not counting caches in order to prevent armchair finds.

 

I'm not really convinced the count is the motivation, anyway. I think the motivation is often the more general "I've discovered a lot!" independent of whether there's a count for other people to see.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Here's my solution to the lying "discovery" logs : as far as I can see, the only motivation is to increase the number of trackables recorded on the cachers profile, yes ?

So, keep the various trackable log types, but simply eliminate 'discovered' logs from the count.

One could make the same argument to advocate not counting caches in order to prevent armchair finds.

Yep. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post

Here's my solution to the lying "discovery" logs : as far as I can see, the only motivation is to increase the number of trackables recorded on the cachers profile, yes ?

No.

Your generalization assumes that everyone plays the numbers game.

 

There's many honest reasons for a Discover log, most have already been explained here...

0

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Hii Guys,

My first reaction and I'm sad to say it's a bad one.
I have 2 TB's that are on 2 different backpacks and therefore the TB's can only to be discovered when both the backpacks are on our geocachetour/trail.
But for the last 4 mounth's they are being discovered at the same time! And I find out how!

I live in Belgium, but not to far away from the Dutch border. There is a Dutch guy who puts over 1800 TB's on a list to discover them and he even gives you the opportunity to do them all at once!

Please HQ, can you take down the site? He is called Barny. His site: [Link removed by moderator]

PLEASE TAKE THIS SITE DOWN AND BANN THE GUY FROM PARTICIPATING ON GEOCACHING.COM.

Thanks for listening and hoping for a possitive reaction,
yours sincerely

Anseldelux.

 

Edited by Keystone
removed link
0

Share this post


Link to post

I removed the link so as not to call further attention to the website that Anseldelux posted about.

Geocaching.com can regulate the use of their own website, but "taking down" some other website is a different matter entirely.

Experience has shown that banning one account leads to opening multiple sock puppet accounts.  It's a hard problem to solve.

You can read Geocaching HQ's take on this problem by reading the Help Center article on Bogus Trackable Logs.  Follow the recommendation to delete the bogus discoveries, and consider locking your trackables for awhile.  If you encounter a geocacher on the trail, you can unlock the page temporarily to permit logging.

1

Share this post


Link to post

I have a trackable on my watchlist that is "discovered" by lots of people. Turns out an event organizer has posted an announcement on his event page with a list of all trackables codes of trackables that somehow were at the event and for convenience added the link to the project-gc website where you can easily log then all at once.

Besides that I think it's sad that geocachers seem to find it normal/fun to discover codes instead of trackables, such an annoucement is the same as sharing the 'secret' tracking code with the whole world, since everyone can see it on the event page. 

But what can be done to correct this and what can be done to prevent this to happen in the future with other events?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, irisisleuk said:

I have a trackable on my watchlist that is "discovered" by lots of people. Turns out an event organizer has posted an announcement on his event page with a list of all trackables codes of trackables that somehow were at the event and for convenience added the link to the project-gc website where you can easily log then all at once.

Besides that I think it's sad that geocachers seem to find it normal/fun to discover codes instead of trackables, such an annoucement is the same as sharing the 'secret' tracking code with the whole world, since everyone can see it on the event page. 

But what can be done to correct this and what can be done to prevent this to happen in the future with other events?

As annoying and dumb I find large scale, impersonal discovers, and as much as I think the attitude behind them is misguided, I can't say this needs to be corrected, and I definitely don't think it's reasonable to try to prevent it. It's easy to see how such lists can encourage logging of TBs that weren't at the event by people that weren't at the event, but I'm only a little more annoyed by that then by mass logging of TBs that were at the event by people that were also at the event. That case would be perfectly "legal" and I don't think there's any chance of it being forbidden, but I still consider it equally inaccurate to claim a discovery when you never saw the coin. As you say, it mistakes the TB code for the TB itself.

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dprovan said:

As annoying and dumb I find large scale, impersonal discovers, and as much as I think the attitude behind them is misguided, I can't say this needs to be corrected, and I definitely don't think it's reasonable to try to prevent it. It's easy to see how such lists can encourage logging of TBs that weren't at the event by people that weren't at the event, but I'm only a little more annoyed by that then by mass logging of TBs that were at the event by people that were also at the event. That case would be perfectly "legal" and I don't think there's any chance of it being forbidden, but I still consider it equally inaccurate to claim a discovery when you never saw the coin. As you say, it mistakes the TB code for the TB itself.

So that all the tracking codes are now visibile on the event page, in one of the announcements, visible to everyone who visits this page, is fine with you?

0

Share this post


Link to post

I saw a TB when logging the bonus of a series of multi's lately (the CO's car) and when logging the caches I wanted to log the TB too but the listing was locked. I contacted the owner and they said they locked the listing because the tracking code made it onto a list and they were getting a lot of fake logs. We arranged a timeframe and they unlocked the listing so I could log. Minutes after I logged the TB the listing was locked again.

I don't think this is the way it should be but with all the armchair logging I'm not surprised. Maybe, if CO/TO's would aggressively delete fake logs things would get better but as long as many just don't care/bother I think it will only get worse.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, irisisleuk said:

So that all the tracking codes are now visibile on the event page, in one of the announcements, visible to everyone who visits this page, is fine with you?

What I said was I don't see any reason to see it as being any worse than posting the tracking codes in a way that only people at the event could see them. I thought I was pretty clear about saying I'm not OK with either of them.

The point being that we need to discourage event owners from doing it in either case.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 9