Abandoned Ship near New Brunswick

Rygel

I was driving home from the Bronx yesterday on the Turnpike. As I was approaching New Brunswick I saw what looked like an abandoned ship. It was quite large. I could only see the top. Looks like it has been there for many years.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I did a quick glance at WeirdNJ.com but didn't see it.

It's an old ferry. If I remember right, the plan was to bring it up to New Brunswick and convert it into a floating eatery, but there were problems with water depth/bridge clearance or something like that. Thats as far as it got, and was abandoned there. Been there as long as I've been boating on the Raritan river/bay. 10-15yrs.

BTW, I had considered using it for a terrain 5 cache, but it's clearly and heavily marked "No Trespassing".

I don't have the issue here, but it's supposedly in WNJ #14, so I'm sure Gwho can clue us in.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Yep, I've seen her many times. I never knew anything about it, but you gave me the inspiration to do a google search.

The Mary Murray was a Staten Island Ferry, built in 1937. She has been beached on the south bank of the Raritan River in East Brunswick since 1982.

Check out this site.

beached ferry

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

[This message was edited by lightnsound on May 11, 2003 at 09:08 PM.]

If you take Schoolhouse lane in East Brunswick, you can get pretty close to the Ferry. I use to drive a bus for the Senoir Center in town and had a pickup there. Her son owned the land and the ferry. I once got a quick tour of the area, but the ferry was unaccesible. He also had a Tug Boat for a while there too.

The best part is the pair of seals that live in that section of the Raritan.

I'm not sure how much open/public space is there, but the township bought most of the housex along Weston Rd (???) for the expansion of Edgeboro, there maybe a small park down there now a days.

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on May 13, 2003 at 08:35 PM.]

quote:
BTW, I had considered using it for a terrain 5 cache, but it's clearly and heavily marked "No Trespassing".

I don't have the issue here, but it's supposedly in WNJ #14, so I'm sure Gwho can clue us in.

Why yes, yes I can.

Checked my website. nope. looked for an old file with the listings. nope. had to check my gps file. YEP! Issue 14, page 21. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for your vote of confidence Mopar.

I actually was driving down that way a few weeks back and I just happened to be crossing the bridge, happened to glance left and I saw it & I nearly jumped out of my pants. OHMYGODTHATSITTHATSTHEBOATTHATSTHEBOAT!! My wife yelled at me to get a grip (on the wheel) and tyhen asked WTF I was talking about. i explained. She gave me that typical "You've GOT to be kidding" look. Um... no. I'm not kidding.

it was a thrill. I immediately scouted out some sattelite photos and maps and thought I might see a way thru but I imagine my BOLP waders would be required. sigh. I wonder if anyone would grant permission? It's something I've been meaning to look into, but my back burner is already overflowing, especially with a new project I'm tackling. sigh.

alt.gif