Sign in to follow this  
Followers 8
chenks

missing features from intro app

if the intro app is now the default geocaching app (and after yesterdays update it appears to be), then you need fix the following....

doesn't support all cache types (virtuals, earth, events).

doesn't support offline lists, pocket queries, or trackables.

there is no way to hide your own caches from the map.

The free app is still being developed and expanded, and we are working hard to bring it to parity with the paid app and beyond.

Believe me, if we could create and release all those features tomorrow we would, but we are unfortunately constrained by the limits of time and our frail mortal bodies.

so just to confirm, the free app will eventually have all the features that the paid app has?

if so, what happens to the paid app at that time?

at moment it sounds like GR are wanting people to pay for the "backcountry" app to get extra features, regardless if they are premium members or not.

I don't really have enough authority to "confirm" anything, but our intention is to improve the free app to a level where the paid app is no longer necessary.

As for what happens to the old app at that time, I don't know, but as someone who has looked at the paid app's codebase before, I will be more than happy if I never see it again ;]

The backcountry app is pretty much for people who really want those features now (offline lists, PQs, etc) and are willing to pay $10 instead of waiting for them to come to the free app.

This is just my perspective, and is not necessarily the official stance from Groundspeak.

Naq va n srj jrrxf, V rkcrpg lbh jvyy ab ybatre or haunccl nobhg gur ynpx bs pnpur glcrf va gur serr ncc

ok that's a reasonable enough response.

the things i listed in the original post are the basic that need added i think (well the missing cache types, trackables and not being able to remove your own caches from the map).

offline lists and pocket queries would be below those in the list for me.

and i decrypted the code ;)

Edited by chenks

One question to the developer!

In the description of the payed app geocaching backcountry, there stands that everything is on board for outdoor geocaching.

But I dont find a difference right now to the former paid geocaching app. I dont find offline maps or so.

When do they come? Right new it is the same than before the update, just name and icon changes.

I think, when in google playstore stands, that everything is here for it, it has to be in the app. But it isnt. Not good I think.

When do the features, that stands in google playstore in the description of both apps, the new geocaching and the new geocaching backcountry do really come to us?

If the come to the backcountry app, I maybe dont need another app from another developer and can stay at groundspeaks apps.

Greatings from germany.

Edited by Lemmi1de

Is the "backcountry app" just the old paid app renamed, or is it a completely new build?

another feature (or rather a setting).

allow use to change the distance from km/meters to miles/feet.

some of us non-metric countries (ie the UK) prefer to use miles and feet.

One feature I'd like to see: solved mysteries shown at the corrected coordinates instead of the original. Would help extempore caching :)

another feature (or rather a setting).

allow use to change the distance from km/meters to miles/feet.

some of us non-metric countries (ie the UK) prefer to use miles and feet.

I think this has more to do with your phone settings. I just changed mine from the U.S. to the U.K. and the measurements in the Intro-app switched to metric. I reset the phone to U.S. and it changed back.

if the intro app is now the default geocaching app (and after yesterdays update it appears to be), then you need fix the following....

doesn't support all cache types (virtuals, earth, events).

doesn't support offline lists, pocket queries, or trackables.

there is no way to hide your own caches from the map.

You know there are alternatives, do you? And free ones too :ph34r:

Edited by on4bam

You know there are alternatives, do you? And free ones too :ph34r:

i'm not interested if there are.

i'm not interested if there are.

Since you complain about the lack of features, why not look at others that have these "extra's" (that should be standard).

Since you complain about the lack of features, why not look at others that have these "extra's" (that should be standard).

because i am here to talk about the official geocaching app, and push to make that better.

i have no interest in any third party app, so take your discussion elsewhere and stop trying to derail this thread.

so take your discussion elsewhere and stop trying to derail this thread.

If I had known you were such a friendly guy, I wouldn't have bothered. :mad:

Never mind, carry on.

OK so an app update this evening.

it now allows to you see event caches... still no virtual or earthcaches though.

it still shows your own caches on the map (no way to hide them).

One feature I'd like to see: solved mysteries shown at the corrected coordinates instead of the original. Would help extempore caching :)

corrected co-ordinates are shown, they are in the additional waypoints screen, and you tick it to show it on the map.

letterbox hybrids are also missing in this app.

the "intro" app needs the following

1) trackable support

2) the ability to not show your own caches on the map

3) the ability to set your own measurement units

4) the ability to keep the screen on whilst navigating (at the moment it lets the device go to sleep during navigation)

5) to stop bugging me about premium membership when i am already a premium member (and always have been)

6) offline lists/pocket query support

7) to apply ignore lists

so whilst it is "getting there" in terms of features, it has still got some way to go.

the "intro" app needs the following

1) trackable support

2) the ability to not show your own caches on the map

3) the ability to set your own measurement units

4) the ability to keep the screen on whilst navigating (at the moment it lets the device go to sleep during navigation)

5) to stop bugging me about premium membership when i am already a premium member (and always have been)

6) offline lists/pocket query support

7) to apply ignore lists

so whilst it is "getting there" in terms of features, it has still got some way to go.

There may be a way, I just can't find it, is there a way to turn on auto rotate for the screen????

There may be a way, I just can't find it, is there a way to turn on auto rotate for the screen????

If you tap the "My Location" button twice (the crosshair icon, top right), it will turn blue then change into a compass icon, at which point the whole map should rotate to follow your heading

Unless you mean landscape mode, which is disabled

any plans to finally support two very basic (and obvious) features?

1) keep the screen awake whilst navigating

2) don't display your own caches on the live map

We are aware of how frequently those features are requested and they are in our backlog =]

I am going to second the being able to convert from imperial to metric within the app.

I went to find a couple caches and the imperial units really threw me. I also am using a phone that does not allow me to select my local region (if that is where the application is looking).

It is a good start. I like the cache page screens and different dashboards.

Shaun

still no option to change units from Km/Meters to Miles/Ft.

the standard measures of distance in the UK is miles/yards/Ft, not Km/Meters.

Would it not be best to keep the, so called, "classic" version going at least past June this year until all these features, and more, can be introduced into the free app?

The free one still has limitations which means I am finding it hard to make myself try to use it instead of the old paid for version!

There's already a filter to hide your own caches.

There's already a filter to hide your own caches.

note that when i posted that it wasn't.

we know it does now

I hope offline functions are in the new app before they kill the paid app.

I'm going on holiday to France in July this year and roaming data costs are not funny.

And beside the roaming costs being in the countryside can give issue with reception.

if you use Three as your carrier then there are no roaming charges at all in France (and many other countries).

if you use Three as your carrier then there are no roaming charges at all in France (and many other countries).

Yeah I know about Three (and other options). But if you are standing in the middle of nowhere and you don't have a decent reception you still have a no go.