Is it absolutely required to label the outside of a geocache?

Astrologian

The listing requirements and guidelines were not clear to me in this instance. I have read that a geocache should be labeled as an official geocache and that the original coordinates and GC code should also be labeled on the outside of the container. With some microcaches, I imagine this would be difficult to do and come to think of it, all of the microcaches I have found had no labeling whatsoever on the outside. What's the right thing to do? Thanks!

The listing requirements and guidelines were not clear to me in this instance. I have read that a geocache should be labeled as an official geocache and that the original coordinates and GC code should also be labeled on the outside of the container. With some microcaches, I imagine this would be difficult to do and come to think of it, all of the microcaches I have found had no labeling whatsoever on the outside. What's the right thing to do? Thanks!

There's no way to label the outside of a nano.

I prefer that the log be clearly marked with the GC code.

Why the need for "original coordinates"? If the coordinates got me to the cache, having them on the cache or log would be redundant, no?

I'm rambling.

We didn't label the outside of our caches. But the GC code and cache name are on the log.

I can see, and have experienced, the very good reason to label the log with the GC code at the very least. Yes, I got sort of confused as to which cache was which.

It's a good idea. Is it required? Not enforceable. Who's going to send you to Cache Jail if the outside of your container isn't labeled?

No, the bomb squad will not take the time to check the information out. Heck, they aren't going to get close enough to read anything.

So...whatevs.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I hate to contradict Pup Patrol but the answer to the question of outside labeling depends on where you place the cache. The new New Jersey State Forest and Parks permit system requires, among other things:

“Geocaches must be labeled as a geocache and include the Geocache Identification Permit Approval Number and permit expiration date on the outside of the container.”

I am reasonably sure that some of the other jurisdictions that have enacted geocaching regulations have similar requirements.

From the British Columbia Parks Geocaching page, for example:

"All caches must be marked "Geocache" on the outside of the container and the owner's name and contact information must be inside of the cache."

Check with your reviewer.

Edited to add:

if the new regs have the unintended consequence of eliminating some nanos because they can't be labeled then it isn't all bad.

Edited by Michaelcycle

I hate to contradict Pup Patrol but the answer to the question of outside labeling depends on where you place the cache. The new New Jersey State Forest and Parks permit system requires, among other things:

“Geocaches must be labeled as a geocache and include the Geocache Identification Permit Approval Number and permit expiration date on the outside of the container.”

I am reasonably sure that some of the other jurisdictions that have enacted geocaching regulations have similar requirements.

"All caches must be marked "Geocache" on the outside of the container and the owner's name and contact information must be inside of the cache."

Edited to add:

if the new regs have the unintended consequence of eliminating some nanos because they can't be labeled then it isn't all bad.

Not all parks require permits. I know Washington State parks do. Here in our regional parks I tried to get the park to have permits to place a cache but they said it was just too much paperwork to deal with it. But some of the park rangers are Geocache members just so they can see where the caches are.

As for labeling sometimes it is difficult to label.

Edited by jellis

Edited to add:

Not all parks require permits. I know Washington State parks do. Here in our regional parks I tried to get the park to have permits to place a cache but they said it was just too much paperwork to deal with it. But some of the park rangers are Geocache members just so they can see where the caches are.

Could a tag, etc, be hung from the outside of a cache that was too small to actually write on directly?

Could a tag, etc, be hung from the outside of a cache that was too small to actually write on directly?
In theory, sure. You could attach a tag to a tiny container to identify it as a geocache.

In practice, such a tag would probably spoil the camouflage, leaving the container vulnerable to muggles.

Edited by niraD

Edited to add:

Well then why not just place a larger container?

I've used stencil and paint on ammo cans. For a transparent Lock & Lock, I placed the printed label on the inside of the lid, and that works pretty well (and that may even be approved in some of the more restrictive parks). I've had trouble with adhesive labels on the outside of a container, but maybe the whole problem is the heat and humidity of the Southeast.

For match tubes, I place a little "Geocaching logo" sticker on the lid (got them free with some online order). But inside is the useful info, as part of the cache log sheet:

http://kunarion.com/Geocache/upload/geocacheMMTG.pdf