Norway geocaches to my GPSMAP 64st

maaacus

Hi!

We are planning a trip trough the hills of Norway this summer, mostly hiking and geocaching. Do you guys have any tips about getting as many geocaches to my GPS as possible? Is it possible to download more than 1000 geocaches at once or is there any better way than Pocket Queries to cover a large map area?

Thankful for your experience!

GSAK.

Or. Be selective.

Caches on a Route, or Bookmark the caches you really want to do.

Thanks for reply. By GSAK, do you refer to its API-function or something else?

GSAK on it's own can download as many caches as you are after, up to the daily limits applied by Groundspeak and GSAK.

(6,000 'full' and 10,000 lite -loc- files)

It will also download PQ's from Groundspeak.

GSAK, once it has caches in a database can send to your GPS up to the maximum number of caches that your GPS will hold.

(Depending on the size -mb- of the file)

GSAK.

Or. Be selective.

GSAK on it's own can download as many caches as you are after, up to the daily limits applied by Groundspeak and GSAK.

GSAK, once it has caches in a database can send to your GPS up to the maximum number of caches that your GPS will hold.

Sounds wonderful, unfortunately I'm using a Macbook air. I'll give it a try using a wine bottle or through Windows XP using Parallell. Maybe its worth it.

Sounds wonderful, unfortunately I'm using a Macbook air. I'll give it a try using a wine bottle or through Windows XP using Parallell. Maybe its worth it.

Lot's of people use GSAK on a Mac so it should be straightforward. Even if you're not on a foreign trip GSAK is still the way to go.

GSAK.

Or. Be selective.

What's the best option for downloading all geocaches in an area using GSAK? I've found a tool called "rectangle map tool" which sounds promising, unfortunately this function doesn't seem to be working using a Mac. Are there any other ways to import a lot of caches at once?

GSAK.

Or. Be selective.

What's the best option for downloading all geocaches in an area using GSAK? I've found a tool called "rectangle map tool" which sounds promising, unfortunately this function doesn't seem to be working using a Mac. Are there any other ways to import a lot of caches at once?

Garmin Basemap runs on a Mac. All you really need is some sort of waypoint manager that understands GPX format and the ability to send waypoints to a GPS. Although I prefer GSAK I've used Basemap on a PC to send caches in bulk to my GPS (a Garmin Oregon).

GSAK.

Or. Be selective.

Garmin Basemap runs on a Mac. All you really need is some sort of waypoint manager that understands GPX format and the ability to send waypoints to a GPS. Although I prefer GSAK I've used Basemap on a PC to send caches in bulk to my GPS (a Garmin Oregon).

Yeah, but Basecamp alone ain't solving my problem with getting a lot of geocaches to my GPS. GSAK is probably the best option, but I'm still a bit confused about what GSAK feature to use for this purpose. I've just installed it using Parallells and Win XP, seems to be working so far.

Edited by maaacus

GSAK.

Or. Be selective.

Yeah, but Basecamp alone ain't solving my problem with getting a lot of geocaches to my GPS. GSAK is probably the best option, but I'm still a bit confused about what GSAK feature to use for this purpose. I've just installed it using Parallells and Win XP, seems to be working so far.

Earlier in the thread someone suggested to "be selective". How many caches to actually need on your GPS.

I've seen others mention that hoops that Mac users must jump through to get GSAK working on Mac. If you've come up with a solution that's easily documented, I bet a lot of others would benefit from a step-by-step "How to run GSAK on a Mac" tutorial. If course, it sounds like your solution depends on Mac users having a (legal?) copy of Win XP or some other version of Windows.

GSAK.

Or. Be selective.

Earlier in the thread someone suggested to "be selective". How many caches to actually need on your GPS.

I've seen others mention that hoops that Mac users must jump through to get GSAK working on Mac. If you've come up with a solution that's easily documented, I bet a lot of others would benefit from a step-by-step "How to run GSAK on a Mac" tutorial. If course, it sounds like your solution depends on Mac users having a (legal?) copy of Win XP or some other version of Windows.

Thanxs for reply! I've now solved the problem using GSAK through Parallells running Win XP (legal). I'm using the "Caches along a route" and the built in "rectangle tool" in GSAK. Works like a charm so far :-)

Hi!

We are planning a trip trough the hills of Norway this summer, mostly hiking and geocaching. Do you guys have any tips about getting as many geocaches to my GPS as possible? Is it possible to download more than 1000 geocaches at once or is there any better way than Pocket Queries to cover a large map area?

I believe that your GPSr can use MicroSD cards. You can have several of these cards and load different PQs onto each of them and install the appropriate one for each of your locations. I have an eTrex 30 and use this technique. In addition to the PQs I also install the appropriate topo map on the same MicroSD card.

I use iCaching which is a Mac program and is similar to GSAK in that you can download all of your PQs to the database and then be selective about which caches to upload to your GPSr.

Edited by Nonsuch30

Hi!

I believe that your GPSr can use MicroSD cards. You can have several of these cards and load different PQs onto each of them and install the appropriate one for each of your locations. I have an eTrex 30 and use this technique. In addition to the PQs I also install the appropriate topo map on the same MicroSD card.

That's what I do. I have two micro SD cards. One I use for local geocaching and the other when traveling. I have a copy of the Garmin Topo maps for the U.S. and keep a copy of a map which covers all the eastern states on my "local" SD card and will update caches listings with PQs as necessary. For my "travel" SD card, since much of my travel is international I use the routable open street maps for garmin and create a mapset for wherever I'm going and replace the mapset on the card each time I travel and also create PQs as necessary as well. Then I just swap the cards when I"m traveling and when I am at home.