Double posts in forums

GeoBain

I'm noticing an increase in double posts in the forums lately. Is there something going on with the servers?

I hadn't noticed this. Maybe it's just in certain threads? If so, maybe more posters in those threads are newer to the forums. From personal experience I can say that a double post is more likely when you're newer to forum posting. (Hope I didn't jinx myself. :yikes: )

Of course, overall traffic is way down, but that's another issue.

I've noticed people posting the same topic in different threads, often within a couple of minutes of their original post.

I've seen that too. Usually it seems to be new posters who think they'll receive twice as much information and wisdom if they start two threads. :rolleyes:

They should realize that one answer from someone named "Sage" is sufficient. :D

Edited by wmpastor

A related mystery... Sometimes (here and elsewhere) people end up with two posts when replying to something. The first post is nothing but the quoted text they're replying to. The second post is nothing but the reply.

It happens so much, I figure it's gotta be some poorly-designed software that's encouraging this to happen. Anybody know what software?

Edited by Viajero Perdido

A related mystery... Sometimes (here and elsewhere) people end up with two posts when replying to something. The first post is nothing but the quoted text they're replying to. The second post is nothing but the reply.

It happens so much, I figure it's gotta be some poorly-designed software that's encouraging this to happen. Anybody know what software?

I just figured it was a clueless newbie not knowing how to properly reply.

Edited by jholly

I just figured it was a clueless newbie not knowing how to properly reply.

+1

Lotta space taken up just for a reply.

I've noticed people posting the same topic in different threads, often within a couple of minutes of their original post.

I've seen that too. Usually it seems to be new posters who think they'll receive twice as much information and wisdom if they start two threads. :rolleyes:

They should realize that one answer from someone named "Sage" is sufficient. :D

Kinds words, wmpastor. But in the interests of openness and honesty, the Sage part of my screen name comes from a previous employment situation rather than any great abilities on my behalf.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I'm noticing an increase in double posts in the forums lately. Is there something going on with the servers?

I'm able to accomplish this by clicking "Add Reply" again when I already clicked it. In many of those cases it looks like nothing happened when clicked, so I did it again. Then both instances occur in the Thread. Typically there's a warning that I can't post again so soon (flood prevention) and just one post.

Yeah, a server thing. I think it's about the same as always. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion