Persons willing to be Chipotle restaurant category officers

Why the heck not. Although it seems a large number of Waymarkers aren't keen to the idea of another retail chain category, I personally think there's a place for them. Possibly a new rule would be that you have to have personally patronized the Chipotle in order to waymark it? That would separate the drive-by waymarkers from the more determinesd ones. There are many worldwide and American retail restaurants and businesses that don't have categories (K-Mart, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Krispy Kreme, Circle-K, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Lowe's and Home Depot just to name a few). Chipotle Restaurants are an up-and-coming retail chain and have some great dishes.

I'm game! B)

I'd be interested. Chipotle is the BEST! Great idea. Like thebeav69 said, I don't know why we don't have other categories for other retailers. Waymarking is a place to categorize everyday objects, right? So why not try and categorize EVERYTHING! If other's have a problem with it, no one is making them categorizing Home Depot or Krispy Kreame (although we already have Dunkin' Donuts). I'm usually game for any workable Waymarking categories.

I thought there was already a category for Mexican resturants?

Looks like I don't get a response to my question here in the forums, so I will just vote against this category if it ever reaches peer review because I think that Chipotle resturants could be waymarked in the Mexican resturants category. :anibad:

What about this great idea :antenna: : Go to category search, type in "Mexican" click on "Mexican Restaurants" now you have to read the "Description" which says "This category wants your favorite Mexican/Southwestern-style restaurants located outside of Mexico. National chains need not apply, but regional chains are fine."

Wikipedia tells us about Chipotle Mexican Grill the following:

"Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (/tʃɨˈpoʊtleɪ/) is a chain of restaurants in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, and France, specializing in burritos and tacos. Its name derives from chipotle, the Nahuatl name for a smoked and dried jalapeño chili pepper. The company has released a mission statement called Food with Integrity, which highlights its efforts in using organic ingredients, and serves more naturally raised meat than any other restaurant chain. Chipotle is one of the first chains of fast casual dining establishments. Founded by Steve Ells in 1993, Chipotle had 16 restaurants (all in Colorado) when McDonald's Corporation became a major investor in 1998. By the time McDonald's fully divested itself from Chipotle in 2006, the chain had grown to over 500 locations. With more than 1700 locations, Chipotle had a net income in 2013 of US$327.4 million and a staff of more than 45,000 employees." Wikipedia

-> "Chipotle Mexican Grill" restaurants will be denied by the "Mexican Restaurants" category officers.

I thought there was already a category for Mexican resturants?

Looks like I don't get a response to my question here in the forums, so I will just vote against this category if it ever reaches peer review because I think that Chipotle resturants could be waymarked in the Mexican resturants category. :anibad:

What about this great idea :antenna: : Go to category search, type in "Mexican" click on "Mexican Restaurants" now you have to read the "Description" which says "This category wants your favorite Mexican/Southwestern-style restaurants located outside of Mexico. National chains need not apply, but regional chains are fine."

Wikipedia tells us about Chipotle Mexican Grill the following:

"Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (/tʃɨˈpoʊtleɪ/) is a chain of restaurants in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, and France, specializing in burritos and tacos. Its name derives from chipotle, the Nahuatl name for a smoked and dried jalapeño chili pepper. The company has released a mission statement called Food with Integrity, which highlights its efforts in using organic ingredients, and serves more naturally raised meat than any other restaurant chain. Chipotle is one of the first chains of fast casual dining establishments. Founded by Steve Ells in 1993, Chipotle had 16 restaurants (all in Colorado) when McDonald's Corporation became a major investor in 1998. By the time McDonald's fully divested itself from Chipotle in 2006, the chain had grown to over 500 locations. With more than 1700 locations, Chipotle had a net income in 2013 of US$327.4 million and a staff of more than 45,000 employees." Wikipedia

-> "Chipotle Mexican Grill" restaurants will be denied by the "Mexican Restaurants" category officers.

Excellent point made, lumbricus!

I'm grateful to know there are Waymarkers such as yourself that do their research on potential categories and reply with encouraging feedback instead of replying with "Since I got no response from my question I guess I'll just vote NO on this category."

Waymarking is a hobby/game/activity that should encourage others to seek out new and interesting places to visit or experience in their travels. Although retail chains don't excite some Waymarkers as categories, I feel they DO have a place in the Waymarking community. If the majority of the Waymarking community thinks otherwise and shoots this category down in Peer Review then so be it. There seems to be enough interest in this forum to keep the Chipotle Restaurants category alive.

My personal input with the Chipotle category is to separate itself from the rest of the retail chain categories and require one to actually visit and experience the restaurant in order to waymark it. Drive-by waymark visits need not apply. I feel that by requiring this, the category will benefit much better and could possibly inspire other potential categories to follow suit.

Yes, this is exactly why Chipotle needs its own category.

Well not actually needs. You would like a category for Chipotle. Not all waymarkers share that same desire as has been shown by non-success rate of commercial categories particularly chain establishment categories.

I don't share the joy of the let's Waymark everything mentality and commercial categories like resturants or the everyday objects like phone booths. To me Waymarking is virtual geocaching, and as I understand it virtuals got way out of hand with what people would submit as a virtual. I would hope to think Waymarks would have a wow factor, and I fail to see any awesomeness in a fast food joint or resturant chain.

Yes, this is exactly why Chipotle needs its own category.

Well not actually needs. You would like a category for Chipotle. Not all waymarkers share that same desire as has been shown by non-success rate of commercial categories particularly chain establishment categories.

Yes, I realize chains may not be popular with everyone. However, here is my justification -

"As a chain of restaurants, it is interesting to observe its lifecycle (expansion, contraction, stability, etc.) Chain restaurants tell us something of the changing or unchanging tastes in cultures everywhere and how food which originated in one location can spread to other countries and cultures. In the case of Chipotle, as a leading international chain featuring Mexican cuisine, it's about the development of the taste for this cuisine nationaly and internationally. Waymarking locations will help to illustrate the chains development."

Edited by RakeInTheCache

By the way, I might be able to be convinced to call this category Mexican Chain Restaurants (to exclude Taco Bell which has its own category) but I would prefer that these chains have a presence outside of North America.

I see Baja Fresh, for example, supposedly has locations in Singapore.

I think this potential category will have a much better chance of success in Peer Review if it becomes more inclusive, i.e., a 'catch-all' category for regional or national chains of Mexican Restaurants/Franchises. Another national chain is Del Taco that comes to mind. I know there are a few others.

It's still going to be challenging to convince the masses that the Waymarking community should be allowed to add another food chain category but a good category writeup, making the category a catch-all for regional/national chains and adding the requirement that a submitter actually needs to patronize an establishment to waymark it just might get enough 'Yay' votes.

:lol:

I think this potential category will have a much better chance of success in Peer Review if it becomes more inclusive, i.e., a 'catch-all' category for regional or national chains of Mexican Restaurants/Franchises. Another national chain is Del Taco that comes to mind. I know there are a few others.

Category and Group have been renamed and I'm opening a new thread to reflect the name change.