Hanging Nano - 1st hide

IdleLad

I am fairly new to Geocaching with 42 finds. I have decided to attempt my first hide and have obtained a green hanging Nano for this purpose. I am now struggling to think of an appropriate place to hide it. Apologies for my lack of creativity but any suggestions from people with more experience would be welcome.

It's really up to you. You know what caches are like and what is popular in your area. Even with 40 finds you should have some knowledge about local caches.

My suggestions would be:

• Attached to a tree
  • Attached to a fence
  • Up a tree (High terrain rating)

I'd approach it the other way around: First I'd find a spot where I want to hide a cache, and then I'd figure out what kind of cache I want to hide there.

I agree.

We've found places we liked, then decided what type of container would work best there, not, "I've got this, now where am I gonna put it...".

- Although on one, the landowner was clear on what he wanted, so that one we didn't have much to choose from in container, or location, and had to find a spot the container would work.

1. Find a perfect location: nice view, interesting landscape, great building, surprising spot, ... Something you want to show a visitor (=geocacher) to make a good impression of your area.

2. Find the biggest and most durable container which fits there: Lock'n'Lock & Ammo boxes are good choices.

3. Make an interesting listing, include the story of the building or a decent description of the spot.

4. Be very sure the coordinates fit. Consider two or three friends for beta testing.

Thank you!

Reminder: A nano is a very good container when it's replaced by a larger Lock'n'Lock or Ammo box just before hiding. :)

2. Find the biggest and most durable container which fits there: Lock'n'Lock & Ammo boxes are good choices.
But note that "fits" includes more than just having enough physical space for the container. It also needs to blend in so that muggles don't stumble upon it accidentally, and geocachers need to be able to retrieve and replace it without attracting undue attention from muggles. There are a number of locations around here where I've seen a series of small and even regular containers, until someone finally hid a micro (or even a nano, or even a puzzle nano). None of the larger containers survived because they were too big, even though they might have physically fit in the location where they were hidden.