Who uses Eneloop Batteries?

I have 2 sets of Eneloop Batteries 1900mah that I use in a GARMIN Oregon 450 and not getting much life out of them

They are over 2 years old and have been cycled with Refresh and Analyze a few times. Lucky to get a couple of hours after each recharge.

Is there something wrong or are they just as advertized?

Should I trade them in on Teslas?

Edited by acachebox

I use Powerex rechargeables and I find I generally get 2-3 years of use before they won't hold a charge any more. Then I just toss them in the recycle bin and order some new ones.

What do get for a charge life when they are in good shape

I assume I can still use my Powerex charge

Edited by acachebox

I'm getting about 7 hrs out of a set of white Eneloops. If I use mixed use, hiking 80% autorouting 20% where the backlight is on all the time I'm getting about 5-6 hrs.

Black Eneloops about 1-2 hrs in addition to the times above.

Not sure what you mean by autorouting. Are you saying 5-6 hours of the GPS being all that time. If that is the case mine are shot because I get less than 2 hours total time on for the GPS in spurts of 5 to 10 mins on time. Can't use it for 4 or 5 caches without changing batteries.

Is your GPS unit set for alkaline batteries? If so, that'll seriously confuse the battery gauge.

Or does your unit go truly dead after that short time?

Thanks

The GPS was set for alkaline. Not sure when that got changed but hopefully that is the issue.

See how the next set lasts.

I have the Panasonic Eneloop Pro 2400 batteries and would get 24 hours with an eTrex 30 and about 18 hours with a GPSMAP 64s.

Rechargeables usually only last 2-3 years before they seriously loose capacity (really depends on the number of charge cycles) so after a couple years, dump them and replace.

I've gotten up to 10 hours of use on a single charge of eneloops. During the day, I don't use any backlight and I turn on power saving mode. 10 hours is the high end and I usually only see that kind of run time when I'm hiking and not checking/playing with the GPS. Typically, when geocaching or hiking, I get around 8 hours of use.... 4 hours until the first bar drops, then two hours more until the second bar drops, and it goes red when I have less than an hour's time left on it.

I always carry a spare set with me, even if I'm going out for a couple of hours. When backpacking, I carry one set per day, though I don't always need one pair per day.

Edit: I should mention that I use an Oregon 450t

Edited by mineral2

I have used Eneloops for a couple of years now. Even my originals give me around 20 hours in my Etrex 20.

Ditto. Great batteries. They have a terrific shelf life and seemingly last forever in my eTrex's, too. I switched to the Eneloops a couple of years ago after reading about them here in this forum. It was good advise then and still is now.

I have used Eneloops for a couple of years now. Even my originals give me around 20 hours in my Etrex 20.

Ditto. Great batteries. They have a terrific shelf life and seemingly last forever in my eTrex's, too. I switched to the Eneloops a couple of years ago after reading about them here in this forum. It was good advise then and still is now.

Never achieved 20 hours with any kind of batteries (rechargeable or alkaline), but my 60CSx and 62s are configured with backlight on, WAAS on, all sensors on and I'm often using autorouting to caches.

Usually get 7-8 hours on Eneloops. I've got about 50 of them, so I'm always carrying 8 in a case for both my GPSr and my headlamp. Easy to swap and throw on the charger when I come back home.

I've gotten up to 10 hours of use on a single charge of eneloops. During the day, I don't use any backlight and I turn on power saving mode. 10 hours is the high end and I usually only see that kind of run time when I'm hiking and not checking/playing with the GPS. Typically, when geocaching or hiking, I get around 8 hours of use.... 4 hours until the first bar drops, then two hours more until the second bar drops, and it goes red when I have less than an hour's time left on it.

I always carry a spare set with me, even if I'm going out for a couple of hours. When backpacking, I carry one set per day, though I don't always need one pair per day.

I realize that the light is the biggest single draw on the batteries but can you go into detail as to how you use the GPS without backlight.

Are you leaving the unit ON all the time or switching it o and off as you go?

I realize that the light is the biggest single draw on the batteries but can you go into detail as to how you use the GPS without backlight.

Are you leaving the unit ON all the time or switching it o and off as you go?

Simple: The screen on all GPSs has a reflective back layer. Direct and ambient light are enough to see detail on the screen. The backlight is only necessary in low-light situations.... dawn/dusk, night, etc. Though at night, I often just use my headlamp as a light source. Granted, the newer the model, the better the reflective screen technology - the Oregon 450 is brighter than the Oregon 400, and the Oregon 600's are brighter yet. But there's really no need to have the backlight on during the day.

When I'm driving in the car, I try to have the unit powered externally.

The unit stays on during the entire hike, but with power save enabled, the screen only stays on for 30 seconds when there's no use. This way, it's collecting data but not using battery to display the screen while I'm on the move.

I have no experience with this brand yet, still awaiting delivery. But the wife and I are going to be giving Amazon Basics High capacity (2400mA) a try soon at about half the price for an 8 pack.

Those are the same as the Black Eneloop XX batteries.

They are all made by Fujitsu (FDK).

Same here, you can't beat Eneloops. I use them in our 62S units and we wear out before they do.....easily over 8 hours. Backlight is set to full bright and is almost always on.

With all rechargeable's the charger makes a HUGE difference and I have used MAHA chargers for years....I own every model they make.

I am using a Powerex MH C9000 charger. with a charge rate of 300 ma on Eneloop 1900 mah batteries.

Yes the GPS had gotten set to Alkaline and have no had any usage time since resetting it. Could that setting, and the use of back light, have caused the short useful life per charge.

I am using a Powerex MH C9000 charger. with a charge rate of 300 ma on Eneloop 1900 mah batteries.

Yes the GPS had gotten set to Alkaline and have no had any usage time since resetting it. Could that setting, and the use of back light, have caused the short useful life per charge.

I don't know the answer but my 62S has changed its battery type setting without me doing it....more than once the last time being a few days ago.....I don't know why that happens but I'm going to check now and then in the future.

Setting your unit for Alkaline and putting in NiMH will make the battery gauge read lower than reality, because alkalines have a slightly higher voltage curve.

Ultimate life won't be affected, if you ignore the gauge and keep on cachin'. But if you take out the batteries because the gauge reads empty, well, there's your problem.

Per the instructions for that charger you shouldn't charge at less then .3 C or more then 1 C. For a 1900 mah battery .3 C would be 633 ma so I would charge at 700 ma. I don't know if that would help but it's worth a try.

You could also run a "Break-In Mode" that will help restore batteries or a "Refresh & Analyze Mode" that will also help restore batteries. This will also report the capacity of the battery so you will know if it's a good battery or not.

As stated in other posts if your GPS is set to Alkaline it will say the batteries are bad when they are good.

You should be charging them at 900 or 1000 ma.

General rule with the C9000; set a charge rate value that is around 1/2 the stated capacity.

With a charge rate that low (300 ma), you risk a missed termination, which would result in over-charging the batteries.

Edited by BlackRose67

The only Ni-MH chargers I have used for the last 7 years or so are 4xAA/4xAAA chargers bundled with Eneloops and similar cells. Some of the 7 year old Eneloop branded cells are still serviceable. The latest 2015 "charger in bundled Panasonic-Eneloop packaging" is a Panasonic Branded Model BQ-CC17 with a stated individual AA cell charge rate of 0.30A @ 1.5v.

Over the years, all of these bundled NiMH chargers have had similar ratings and similar several hour charge rates and tend to shut down at 1.49 volts according to my cheapo digital meters on the rare occasions when I checked. I have no experience with the "better" chargers.

Edited by 39_Steps

I use a Lacross BC-700 charger. Great charger. First, I went through all my batteries and refreshed them. It charges and discharges repeatedly until the full charge doesn't change. (Can take a few days.) Then I physically wrote on the batteries with a sharpie what their capacity was. Got rid of some, some got assigned duty as wall clock batteries, etc. But knowing what the real capacity (not just what is claimed) has been beneficial. I can match them when I put them in things. Also, every few months when I swap some out of a device, I run them through the cycle that totally drains and recharges them once to see if the capacity is reduced. Knowing which they are and pulling weak batteries out of the collection has saved me so much trouble I wish I would have upgraded to a good charger years ago.

That being said, I have never had any problems with the Eneloops. They seem to hold their charges and are at least the capacity stated. And they are conveniently stocked at Costco.