Trinket removed from travel bug

spirothebudgie

Hi all! :grin:

I happen to have a trackable (dog tag type) that I released into the wild just for fun. I know this is taking a chance whenever you do this (the tag can get stolen, lost etc.)

The tag is still out there, but on the last log it was mentioned that the small resin turtle I had attatched to the tag to travel with it had gone missing.

I can understand the whole tag going missing but given that it is clearly labelled as to what it is it seems strange someone would actually take the small trinket off it which is worth less than $2 :blink:

I'm not upset as honestly I didn't expect it to even last this long and of course the trackable is still fine to log, but I'd like to know whether anyone has had anything similar happen where someone has gone to the bother of removing something attached with the trackable.

It seems to me as though maybe someone thought it was some kind of trade item and not part of the trackable given the whole thing didn't get taken. For my next one I may have to label the object I attach so it doesn't get taken.

Any ideas on how to stop this happening?

Thanks! :anibad:

Edited by spirothebudgie

I am going to blame that stupid beaded chain. A piece of twine connecting the two items is nearly equivalent.

For future TBs, you would be far better off throwing that chain away... or using it for something else.

It may have been taken (stolen), but chances are just as good that the chain broke and the hitch-hiker was left behind.

We use a piece of very small cable (those used for overhead garage doors) and a crush-able aluminum fitting. These items are available in most any hardware store. Doesn't cost very much, either.

bcf40bcc-82d5-4573-944a-e816e3394ade.jpg

367d3f52-1460-43e1-a866-d97b1980460b.jpg

I agree with G-G, we've found trackables in bags with the beaded chain in pieces.

Some items do seem to attract kids, and the cuter it is (plushes especially) , the quicker it goes bye-bye.

- But, I think it just as possible it simply came apart and the resin critter fell off.

The next person to find it grabs the tag and maybe didn't know what was attached until accessing the TO page.

Cable, or even a key ring seems to keep everything together better than those bead chains.

We didn't use the chain but attached them all to a key ring then put superglue on the join. Eventually after being dragged around in people's pockets and bags the plastic toy on the key ring broke off. Just one of those things.

Hi all! :grin:

I happen to have a trackable (dog tag type) that I released into the wild just for fun. I know this is taking a chance whenever you do this (the tag can get stolen, lost etc.)

The tag is still out there, but on the last log it was mentioned that the small resin turtle I had attatched to the tag to travel with it had gone missing.

I can understand the whole tag going missing but given that it is clearly labelled as to what it is it seems strange someone would actually take the small trinket off it which is worth less than $2 :blink:

I'm not upset as honestly I didn't expect it to even last this long and of course the trackable is still fine to log, but I'd like to know whether anyone has had anything similar happen where someone has gone to the bother of removing something attached with the trackable.

It seems to me as though maybe someone thought it was some kind of trade item and not part of the trackable given the whole thing didn't get taken. For my next one I may have to label the object I attach so it doesn't get taken.

Any ideas on how to stop this happening?

Thanks! :anibad:

It's the "trinket" part of a travel bug that is attractive to kids, not the dog-tag part. The cuter the trinket, the more likely it will be to disappear. At least they left the dog-tags behind, and didn't steal the whole thing.

I've seen dog-tags that were supposed to have something attached, but was long gone.

Removing the chain and attempting to attach the trinket more permanently to the dog-tag is the only way to try and keep them together.

Also having an explanation firmly attached is a good idea. Maybe mom and dad don't understand what a travel bug is either, and having a note (laminated) firmly attached to the tb will educate everyone.

Putting trackables in ziplock baggies to try and keep things together is useless, trust me. :(

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks for all the replies and help! :laughing:

It seems this is quite a common problem.

I like the idea with the steel cable, looks neater as well!

I agree that the bead chain seemed flimsy to me when I first saw it, should have known!

I do happen to have some garden hanging basket chain with bendable joints in the shed though, it's easy enough to bend to attach a trackable/trinket but not without pliers!

Might try that for my next one, and having a note would be a good idea as well as what the trackable already says! :D

Also makes sense that the more attractive something attached to a trackable is, the more likely someone will want it! :lol:

Probably fell off though, those chains looked ok but I now know they are hopeless! :P

Thanks for all the replies and help! :laughing:

It seems this is quite a common problem.

I like the idea with the steel cable, looks neater as well!

I agree that the bead chain seemed flimsy to me when I first saw it, should have known!

I do happen to have some garden hanging basket chain with bendable joints in the shed though, it's easy enough to bend to attach a trackable/trinket but not without pliers!

Might try that for my next one, and having a note would be a good idea as well as what the trackable already says! :D

Also makes sense that the more attractive something attached to a trackable is, the more likely someone will want it! :lol:

Probably fell off though, those chains looked ok but I now know they are hopeless! :P

You can put a note on the cable. I do, but I take the photos for the trackable page prior to putting the note on -- makes for a "neater" photo.

On the cache page, in the Trackable Options area, use the link (Print Info Sheet), but before printing... shrink it down to a manageable size but still readable. Have that sheet laminated (BOTH sides) and punch a hole through the border that does not make contact with the paper itself. Insert cable (or other connector) through that hole prior to crushing the aluminum end fitting.

Hey, I found the opposite! When traveling in Hawaii, I stumbled on a small book with a chain attached to it. The chain reminded me of a TB chain, so I decided to take the book with me to investigate. I quickly found a reference in the book that brought me to the TB page on the geocaching site.

It turned out to be a TB that was missing for over 4 years! The funny thing is it disappeared from a cache located in my province in 2009, but it kept traveling with no TB tag attached to it and no logs either. I found it in Hawaii (8,000 kms away) in 2013 and brought it back to the very same province. I contacted the owner, got the TB number, created a new TB tag and sent it back in the wild. It has now a new life and it traveled a lot (currently in Europe).

Things are never lost!

Hey, I found the opposite! When traveling in Hawaii, I stumbled on a small book with a chain attached to it. The chain reminded me of a TB chain, so I decided to take the book with me to investigate. I quickly found a reference in the book that brought me to the TB page on the geocaching site.

It turned out to be a TB that was missing for over 4 years! The funny thing is it disappeared from a cache located in my province in 2009, but it kept traveling with no TB tag attached to it and no logs either. I found it in Hawaii (8,000 kms away) in 2013 and brought it back to the very same province. I contacted the owner, got the TB number, created a new TB tag and sent it back in the wild. It has now a new life and it traveled a lot (currently in Europe).

Things are never lost!

Wow that's a pretty amazing story! :anibad:

Can't believe it kept travelling without the tag!