How do you get API access now?

Hello,

I was wondering what the process was for getting access to the GeoCache API? I was looking into the page here: https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/apidevelopers/

and it is saying that they are "no longer accepting new requests for API access"

What is the gameplan going forward?

Please let me know. Thanks!

jc4rp3nt3r

I was wondering what the process was for getting access to the GeoCache API? I was looking into the page here: https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/apidevelopers/

and it is saying that they are "no longer accepting new requests for API access"

I guess you misunderstood what's it all about.

1. No new requests means that GC is not accepting requests from developers for software that uses the API to communicate with GC servers.

2. Existing software that uses the API can be used (GSAK, GDAK, project-gc....) as the only thing needed is for the user to grant the program/website access to his/her account. So, users can still get tokens for API access but for now, no new software or websites can ask for API keys from GC.

In short, developer problem, not user problem. <_<

I guess you misunderstood what's it all about.

1. No new requests means that GC is not accepting requests from developers for software that uses the API to communicate with GC servers.

2. Existing software that uses the API can be used (GSAK, GDAK, project-gc....) as the only thing needed is for the user to grant the program/website access to his/her account. So, users can still get tokens for API access but for now, no new software or websites can ask for API keys from GC.

In short, developer problem, not user problem. <_<

Right, and I am a developer playing with Arduino technology who is coming into the game a little late, hence the question.

I'm just blown away at the thought of such a vibrant, growing community completely closing the door on new ideas and innovation. It's just not the GeoCaching way.

So, are we saying that GC is honestly destroying the possibility for all future innovation related to GeoCaching as it relates to existing data? I just can't believe that to be the case. Surely there must be some way to make calls to get information regarding caches? Perhaps a 3rd party service that will have a "snapshot" of the data?

Anything?

Edited by jc4rp3nt3r

That's a rather harsh statement for someone so new and has no knowledge of why they did it. There have been a couple of vague references to what may be the issue but no direct statement except for one on the new policy of API tokens expiring every 60 days about how some API developers were clustering tokens and making a big hit on the servers. There could be many reasons including the maximum load being reached.

The API has been extremely successful but they may feel they have let the dragon out and now need to exert some control.

And as to other ways other than scrapping which is a violation there don't appear to be any.

That's a rather harsh statement for someone so new and has no knowledge of why they did it. There have been a couple of vague references to what may be the issue but no direct statement except for one on the new policy of API tokens expiring every 60 days about how some API developers were clustering tokens and making a big hit on the servers. There could be many reasons including the maximum load being reached.

The API has been extremely successful but they may feel they have let the dragon out and now need to exert some control.

And as to other ways other than scrapping which is a violation there don't appear to be any.

Thank you for your reply. Please know that I mean no disrespect to you, the developers, or anyone else, but I am trying to understand this odd decision. I have been geocaching and developing for over a decade, so while I am new to the art of combining the two, I am not new to either discipline. I have however, shifted my geocaching approach to be more digital in recent years, creating my current account and moving to a smartphone-based caching methodology.

In the few years that I have been doing the smartphone vs. traditional GPS based caching, I have come to find a serious opportunity for makers to help improve this space. Creating new ideas and new ways for people to share in the experience of GeoCaching has always been what this is about, so it seems counterintuitive to me, for the API to have been "turned off" for new developers.

Does anyone know who I could contact to get more information on what caused the API to be closed and when I may be opened again?

Thank you!

I am using GSAK 8.5.1.36 Windows 2000 professional Mozilla Firefox 37.0.2 Norton Anti Virus

Having attached my Garmin 600 to my PC I then want to automatically post logs to Geocaching cache websites. To do this in GSAK I click on ‘Geocaching.com access’ then ‘Get another Access token’.

Previously this always went to Geocaching.com and came back with a splash screen asking me to Allow Access which I obviously did and was then able to work with the records on my GPSr.

Over the last month or so what comes back is a splash screen saying ‘Navigation to the webpage was cancelled’

Can someone tell me how to re establish Access Tokens with geocaching.com so that I can properly use GSAK.

I am using GSAK 8.5.1.36 Windows 2000 professional Mozilla Firefox 37.0.2 Norton Anti Virus

Having attached my Garmin 600 to my PC I then want to automatically post logs to Geocaching cache websites. To do this in GSAK I click on ‘Geocaching.com access’ then ‘Get another Access token’.

Previously this always went to Geocaching.com and came back with a splash screen asking me to Allow Access which I obviously did and was then able to work with the records on my GPSr.

Over the last month or so what comes back is a splash screen saying ‘Navigation to the webpage was cancelled’

Can someone tell me how to re establish Access Tokens with geocaching.com so that I can properly use GSAK.

I have a computer running windows XP and a laptop running windows 7. On the win XP machine when I try to get another access token I get the "Navigation cancelled\' splash screen while on the Win 7 machine it goes to the authorization screen and after authorizing access I have the new token.

Edited by DIGGER_52