Geocaching Proposal

Hello everyone!

I'm going to be proposing to my girlfriend and was thinking of incorporating Geocaching.

My idea is to have a geocache placed and have the log book be pages of memories of our dating errors and a little note to her.

I also want to include a fake diamond ring and it be a travel bug. So that travel bug and cache will be a symbol of us getting engaged.

I don't know if I want to have an official cache published for several reasons:

• Not sure the exact date this is going to happen. It will depend on schedules and weather. I plan to do it by a lighthouse but if we can't get down there I might have to do it locally.
  • I don't want someone to get to it before us! :)
  • I do want this eventually be a published cache. The title I'm thinking is Shinging Stars, Shining Stars, Shining Sea.

I plan on placing the cache a few hours before I actually make her think we are going on to find one.

Is there any way to duplicate a fake cache page?

Once I do want to have it published - how long is the approval process?

Thanks!

-Mitiford

Place the cache as normal.

Create the cache page and save it, but don't submit it for publication yet.

Then you can print it out, so you will have it in hand, and you can take her to it.

After she finds her prize, then you can have the cache published as part of the experience.

If you know the date/time, you can work with your reviewer to have it published then.

Or you could just publish it shortly before you go and find it, and hope it gets published shortly after.

Working with your reviewer in advance will help with any proximity or other issues.

Get an email from an new cache notification and alter it to represent your cache then send it to yourself while you are on your way to another cache nearby and say look honey, a new cache only a few minutes away.

Better yet, don't get married.

Better yet, don't get married.

While there are a variety of reasons this might be a good idea, he's not going to listen.

In the string of bad ideas that has been my life, getting married was not one of the bad ones. But I'll be quick to admit my wife might not have the same perspective. :huh:

Austin

Trust me - I have thought it over long and hard. I'm getting married for the first time late - I'm in my early 40's.

She is 11 years younger.

While there are tough times and we are different in several ways, the bottom line is we respect and love each other.

Marriage isn't easy and I realize that. In fact I think marriage these days is tougher than years back.

In my opinion, people are to willing to walk away from a relationship because it's the easier thing to do. It's a commitment and the vows say it all - "in good times and bad".

But let's not make this into a "should I or shouldn't I" thread. That decision has been made :)

... I'm getting married for the first time late - I'm in my early 40's ...

...she is 11 years younger...

... he is never going to listen ...

Make sure you get the coordinates for where you want it, now. In case someone else poaches your spot. And write a note on the cache page in the logs section before you publish explaining why you have not yet submitted it. If the reveiwer sees that they are unlikely to decide you aren't going to use it and someone else's submission gets approved.

And congratulations for the future!

Congratulations! :)

Reminds me of my story - about 4 years ago I was searching with my now ex-girlfriend for a geocache near the beach and found GZ to be this amazing scenic spot overlooking most of the beach. It was breathtaking, and I knew that I would one day be proposing to my wife there (thankfully it wasn't the girl I was with at the time! :P )

The cache is GC1WCAK. Roughly three years later, I proposed to my wife there on 04/28/2013.

------

Anyways, I'd suggest you make the cache page, and wait to submit it until after you've proposed. Hide it well (obviously) and make sure you hire someone to record/take pictures! They're worth looking back on later down the road!

Good luck!

Edited by The Ymmit