Maps

I am not happy with lack of sat view in geocaching or Waymarking maps.

It's so so so much wrong decision to implement such maps, especially because of review process. How could I check right coordinates with OSM and without satellite view? I loved google street view for such purpose... It looks as the last straw for me with Waymarking website. No improvement, just such "downgrade" :(

You can still access the satellite view by clicking link for google maps on the lower left of the the waymark page. Not as handy as having it up on the upper right but still accessible.

"Not as handy as having it up on the upper right but still accessible." What to say, maybe just that this is not the best approach which one could expect for premium members and active users of Waymarking. There were no improvement about such bugs as W/E one, or map showing middle of Atlantic ocean, but changing map for unusable one, of course, here you have it - without warning or debate... I'm so sorry, but this is disappointing even for Groundspeak standards.

You can still access the satellite view by clicking link for google maps on the lower left of the the waymark page. Not as handy as having it up on the upper right but still accessible.

Is that just for premium users?

I don't think so. The external map links are there even if you aren't logged in.

...changing map for unusable one...

I wouldn't say it's unusable. In many parts of the world, OpenStreetMap has advanced enough that it's perfectly sufficient for confirming the coordinates or getting an idea of where a Waymark is located. Granted, it may not be as useful in areas where the OSM data is sparse or remote areas without many roads or other features, but then the satellite imagery might not be much better anyway.

As Bruce pointed out, you still have multiple options for satellite imagery if you need that level of detail. I think if you give the OSM-based map a chance, you'll find it's sufficient in many cases.

I just went to the Set Map Preferences link on the side panel of the map. Something called "Leaflet" was selected. I selected Google Maps and the old style came back, with the Map/Satellite link in the upper right-hand corner. I wonder with the last upgrade if they changed everyone's default map preference.

These must be premium only features, because I'm not getting a Set Map Preferences, or a link in the lower left corner, or anything like that. At the bottom of the map I do see the Leaflet link, which takes you to their site, and a Tiles courtesy of MapQuest, followed by what looks like a little green icon, but which does nothing when clicked on. There is the usual Search from map center, and a check box for the map itself; but no preferences, and no way to see the satellite view. Nothing in the upper right corner either.

Edited by MountainWoods

I just went to the Set Map Preferences link on the side panel of the map. Something called "Leaflet" was selected. I selected Google Maps and the old style came back, with the Map/Satellite link in the upper right-hand corner. I wonder with the last upgrade if they changed everyone's default map preference.

Are you talking about the maps on the geocaching or Waymarking site? :unsure:

Are you talking about the maps on the geocaching or Waymarking site? :unsure:

It's (unfortunately just) about Geocaching :(

+ Of course function "search from here" doesn't work again.