Fall Foliage

The BeeGees

Go practically anywhere in Harriman State Park ... there are at least a dozen caches of various levels to choose from.

Try the "Allamuchy Mountain" cache near the junction of Interstate 80 and 206 ... or visit any of the caches along the Highlands on the east side of the Hudson just north of the Bear Mountain Bridge ... look at some of the great cache locations in northern Westchester County ("Elsie's Green Pastures," "Leatherman Cache," "Tea Party," etc.) if you don't want to go quite so far.

Further west in NJ, don't forget the caches in Jenny Jump State Forest ("Don't Jump Jenny" and "The Love Shack and Beyond") ... the foliage there was beautiful last weekend.

While Skully & Mulder are in mind, their two new caches "Pochunk Bypass" (the "Vernon Cache" is also in the area) and "Bearfort Fire Tower" are nice family hikes that should provide plenty to look at. (Permit required for the Bearfort cache and the two or three others located within the watershed property, but picking up all 3 would make a nice day hike for a family.)

Great foliage can be found along the hikes to cache locations in/near Worthington State Park, near the Delaware Water gap ... but these entail substantially more difficult hikes. ("Dreamcatcher" and "Helispot" are in the area.)

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 30, 2002 at 10:01 AM.]

FALL FOLIAGE. We like it best with water, particularly near a lake or pond. Our personal favorites:

1. Sunfish Pond, near the Dreamcacher cache, already mentioned by BassoonPilot.

2. BrianSnat is right about his own Terrace Pond cache.

3. There are many good pond/lake caches in Harriman, but our favorite is pm|_. Particularly nice if you use the streamside trails coming in from Reeves Meadow.

ENJOY IT FOR THIS SHORT SPELL.

Alan2, that's a very cool website, thanks!

I'm biased. Take I287 exit 30A (Basking Ridge) onto Maple Ave. I drive to work this way, and it's very nice. You can hit an easy virtual on the way, and then head to the swamp (only one cache located there). I haven't been to the swamp for two weeks, so I don't know how it's doing, but I'm sure it's very nice by now.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:
I haven't been to the swamp for two weeks, so I don't know how it's doing, but I'm sure it's very nice by now.

I was there Sunday (as I am nearly every Sunday) and the leaves were approaching peak. Since the area is flat, there really isn't much of the forest to see, because all the stupid trees are in the way. Once you get to the open areas like Lenape Meadow, it can be nice.

It's a pretty damp walk now. I'm not talking about a slog through knee deep water, or anything like that, but waterproof hiking boots (or LL Bean type boots) are a very good idea.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 01, 2002 at 06:37 AM.]

Leef peepers, if you want to get one last good glimpse of the fall colors, check out my Osio Rock Ramble cache (currently awaiting approval). The view from Osio Rock itself is outstanding, with a 360 degree view of the surrounding area and the NYC skyline visible in the distance on clear days.

It would be a good choice for this weekend!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=42374

End of shameless self-promotion

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

It's about the time of the year to revive this thread. Since last year, there are a lot of new ones out there, and some golden oldies. In the latter category, there is Waterboy's Ny/NJ Multi State Multi Cache, which may well be the best of all. In this category, I have two more that would be nice fall walks. Mountainside

and New and Improved Butler Reservoir

In addition to the those, I've added a couple nice leaf watching caches since last fall. They are: Wildcat Ridge Hawk Watch and Buck Mountain Overlook.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

The annual Fall Foliage Day for the Pennsylvania State Game Lands is Sunday, Oct. 19.

Berks County: From 9 to 3 that day, you can drive on the trails at State Game Lands 110 - the ones just north and west of the Cabela's. It's usually very pretty, and it's on dirt roads that are never open to the public other than this one day each year. Rangers are usually posted throughout to answer questions, do activities with kids, and stuff like that. Contact the PA Game Commission for more info.

WWW's Eagles Nest is within these game lands. I mean, ya know, so I hear. Not that my 80-year old knees have ever been to this cache, or anyting like that!

Although I am telling y'all about it, I myself won't be here that day. I'll be in Massachusetts!

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

Frankly Any Cache hike with a view is going to be fantastic. if "Echo of Camp Kline" gets approved in time, it's going to offer fantastic views of the Pine Creek Valley.

the Question is....will Isabel and the wet summer have an Adverse affect on the Foliage? Many of the trees have just dropped their leaves without changing. And Others are showing that while the leaves are still on the branches...they're basically dead green leaves...

He prayeth best, who loveth best All things both great and small; For the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all.

S. T. Coleridge

Time to bump this since many new caches have been added since last year. NJ should be at peak within a week and I'm sure the Hudson Highlands and Catskills are at, or near peak.

Some to add that I can think of. My latest cache (which you won't see until is approved) has a very nice overlook. For those in southern VT, this one should offer excellent viewts. Assinwikam Mtn should have some nice views, as should most of the other caches in Norvin Green, such as my Osio Rock Ramble and Wyanokie High Point caches. Wildcat Ridge Hawk Watch should also be nice.

Windbeam's Windfall and Wanaque Overlook have magnificant views any time of the year and should be particularly nice now.

Anybody have others to recommend?

Time to bump this again. Some that haven't previously been mentioned are: Epic2: Serenity, Hamburg High, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotteburg and in NY, Torrey Mtn.

Of my own newer caches, NJ's Rooftop, Maneater II: Higher Ground, Oakland Overlook II: Higher Ground, Bearfort Ridge, Return to Rocky Mtn, Centurion and Carris Hill should all offer excellent views.

I strongly suggest a walk in the Norvin Green SF which has some of the finest views in the state. There are number of caches there that have excellent views (some of which are mentioned in this thread).

Edited by briansnat

A bit shameful self-promotion, but this next weekend should be optimal for Stokes State Forest Petroglyph Trail Challenge. It is a nice hike up to a great view and I just fixed up all the markers.

As no one has been out since May, now would be a great time to wake this hike up. Bring a camera!

I agree with this one. Nice hike, but don't stop at the cache. Go the extra .2 mile to the overlook at Sunrise Mtn and you will not be disappointed.

Some of these caches in this thread are way too much for me.

I am headed to Sussex/Morris county for 4 days starting Saturday. Can anyone recommend some caches? Due to my disability I need to keep the terrain under or equal to 2. But would like to see some nice views of the fall colors.

Edited by Team Ducky

I am headed to Sussex/Morris county for 4 days starting Saturday. Can anyone recommend some caches? Due to my disability I need to keep the terrain under or equal to 2. But would like to see some nice views of the fall colors.

Hard to recommend any without more info regarding your limitations, but I'll try.

Valhalla View is a relatively easy hike of about 2 miles RT. If you take the yellow to the blue trail its flat most of the way with a gentle incline the last quarter mile.

Wildcat Ridge Hawk Watch is a pretty easy hike. There is actually a road that goes there that makes the walk even easier. I think its under a mile from the parking at the end of Upper Hiberina Rd if you use the jeep road.

A Drive in the Country is done mostly by car with some short walks to each stage. No viewpoints but a nice drive in a pretty area.

Stillwaters is a nice hike along a scenic reservoir. Most of the walk is flat and very easy, but there is one short, rocky area.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotteburg is a short and easy walk to an outstanding viewpoint. A permit is required for the area though ($7).

One Down Fourty Nine to Go is basically a drive up to a breathtaking view. Its a virtual, but worth the trip, though a bit out of the way.

With MS, sometimes my balance is off and I have a step disabilty. On good days I can easily hike 2-3 miles. These look great. Thanks!

If you are interested in the Wildcat Ridge Hawkwatch cache (an outstanding view), see this map. If you look near the center of the map there is a parking area southwest of Beaver Pond near the junction of the orange, green and yellow trails.

The black line that goes southeast to the hawk watch platform is a jeep road. Its closed to the public as far as motor vehicle use, but its an easy walk. The Orange trail that parallels it is a more interesting and scenic hiking trail, but its longer and more rugged.

Its definitely a good choice this season and though a multi, the two stages are only a few hundred feet apart. There is also usually a volunteer hawk watcher on duty this time of the year and most are very happy to point out the various migrating raptors.

Edited by briansnat

If you are heading to Sussex County and want an awesome view you can drive to, use the coordinates briansnat posted near my Stokes State Forest Petroglyph Trail cache - N41 13.083 W074 43.228. Parking is very close by and a short walk will take you to this spot.

Had a change of plans, spent most of the weekend in Pike County, PA. Problem was that I didn't have any caches in the GPS for that region. Did get a chance a ventue to Stokes NF. A bit past peak, leaf drop rate is high...making the cache difficult to find. I did make it to Sparta, and that was peak...very pretty. I only did the TRL micro in parking lot, that mountain looked insane to climb and there are caches up there...wow!

Will post photos soon.