Geocaches changing to Premum only

Not sure what you're seeing. Both your caches are available to all members. Your first cache hasn't been edited or logged since mid-April. Caches don't magically change to PMO unless placed in edit mode so that the checkbox for that can be marked.

Ahhh. Just had a thought. I'll bet you're using an app? And I'll bet that app is the free intro app? So it's showing as an advanced cache, not selectable from the intro app. Meaning it's an advanced cache (only with regards to the free intro app) not a premium member cache (which is on all apps and the website.)

Am I right? You're using the free app?

As a basic member, you don't have the option to make it PMO. One of your caches has 2 favorite points- perhaps you're thinking the blue ribbon mean a PMO cache?

Ahhh. Just had a thought. I'll bet you're using an app? And I'll bet that app is the free intro app? So it's showing as an advanced cache, not selectable from the intro app. Meaning it's an advanced cache (only with regards to the free intro app) not a premium member cache (which is on all apps and the website.)

Very astute observations.

Bet it's the "intro app" thingy.

B.

As a basic member, you don't have the option to make it PMO. One of your caches has 2 favorite points- perhaps you're thinking the blue ribbon mean a PMO cache?

Very astute observations.

Bet it's the "intro app" thingy.

B.

With a couple thousand posts, I'm bound to come up with something good occasionally. :laughing:

Have a question about a cache changing.

I'm new to this, have seen this for a long time but didn't get into it. Sorry I didn't start sooner.

Anyway, using the app on my android phone. Just the regular free app. Found a spot I wanted to search, searched for a good hour but couldn't find the cache. Marked it as a DNF. Left. About an hour later I decided I had one more place I wanted to look for it, but now it has disappeared from the map. Now shows as an advanced cache. I could go back and still search for it as I know what the description was and where the area is but I wouldn't be able to log it if I do find it so I decided to just let it lay for now.

Any reason why it went from being on the map to changing status? I guess it could be possible an owner just so happened to switch it at that particular time but that is odd.

Also is the upgraded Iphone app the same price as the android app? Android app is 9.99 for 3 months and 29.99 for a year. My brother swears to me he got a year on Iphone for $9.99. I think he clicked the wrong button(or his kid did).

Technically, that's a new question. You could have opened a new thread.

About an hour later I decided I had one more place I wanted to look for it, but now it has disappeared from the map. Now shows as an advanced cache.

By "advanced" what do you mean? "Premium member only" (thread title) or a higher rated difficulty/terrain rating?

Both could throw it out of your app's filter, depending on your membership status and the app.

I could go back and still search for it as I know what the description was and where the area is but I wouldn't be able to log it if I do find it so I decided to just let it lay for now.

Basic members can log premium members only caches as well - legally! If your signature is in the physical logbook and you qualify for the cache (in case it's a challenge, earth cache, webcam or something like this with additional logging rules), then you're allowed to log online.

Only restriction to badic members is, that exact coordinates and cache listing is hidden.

Any reason why it went from being on the map to changing status? I guess it could be possible an owner just so happened to switch it at that particular time but that is odd.

Most probably the cache owner changed the listing. Other possibility: Maybe your app doesn't work as expected. Maybe you had an old search result, the owner changed the status in between and your DNF log just reloaded the new status in your app.

You can check the actual PMO status of the cache by taking a look at the cache page: is it now PMO or not?

Also is the upgraded Iphone app the same price as the android app? Android app is 9.99 for 3 months and 29.99 for a year. My brother swears to me he got a year on Iphone for $9.99. I think he clicked the wrong button(or his kid did).

There is a lot of hassle between different interpretations of paid vs. free app (paying once and it belongs to you for a lifetime - yours or your smartphone's) and basic vs. premium membership (usually time restricted and renewable). Don't confuse the two!

Sounds like you are confusing the Premium Membership with the Paid Full-Feature App.

The Premium Membership is not connected to any of the apps at all. It is a completely different thing. If the price is "per year" or "for 3 months", then it's the Premium Membership.

An app is only paid for once, unless you change platforms.

Help Center - Premium Membership

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

Help Center - Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

2.2. What is the Difference Between the Geocaching's Free App, the Full-featured App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=514

4.2. What is the difference between the Geocaching Free app for Android, the Full Featured (Paid) app, and Geocaching Premium?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=504

B.

I'm new to this, have seen this for a long time but didn't get into it. Sorry I didn't start sooner.

Anyway, using the app on my android phone. Just the regular free app. Found a spot I wanted to search, searched for a good hour but couldn't find the cache. Marked it as a DNF. Left. About an hour later I decided I had one more place I wanted to look for it, but now it has disappeared from the map. Now shows as an advanced cache. I could go back and still search for it as I know what the description was and where the area is but I wouldn't be able to log it if I do find it so I decided to just let it lay for now.

What probably happened is that your DNF made the cache an advanced cache. Then the free app wouldn't show it anymore without a premium membership.

The Premium Membership is not connected to any of the apps at all. It is a completely different thing. If the price is "per year" or "for 3 months", then it's the Premium Membership.

Just to add more confusion and clarification. The free app on the android now mutates when a user gets a premium membership. So yes if you pay for premium on the site you will have more access on the free app.

• Find all easy Traditional geocaches

• Message other players for tips, hints and more

• “Live Search” continuously updates nearby geocaches as you move

Unlock more adventures with Geocaching Premium:

• Discover more of the geocaching universe with Mystery Caches and Multi-Caches

• Challenge yourself to find geocaches with higher Difficulty and Terrain ratings

• Add filters like size and geocache type to your search and then sort results by favorite points, distance and more

• Gain access to all Premium features on Geocaching.com

Edited by giddeanx
Basic members can log premium members only caches as well - legally! If your signature is in the physical logbook and you qualify for the cache (in case it's a challenge, earth cache, webcam or something like this with additional logging rules), then you're allowed to log online.

Has this changed? There was about a year where I was a Premium member and my wife a basic member. She would refuse to cache with me if there was a premum cache on the list because she was not allowed to log it, even if she could get to the listing using the CG number. That was the only reason I bought her a premium membership.

Austin

Has this changed? There was about a year where I was a Premium member and my wife a basic member. She would refuse to cache with me if there was a premum cache on the list because she was not allowed to log it, even if she could get to the listing using the CG number. That was the only reason I bought her a premium membership.

Austin

A non-PM has always been allowed to log a PMO cache. They can't do it the usual way, though - they have to use a back-door logging method. (Go to http://www.geocachingadmin.com/ and enter the GC code, then click Log.)

A non-PM has always been allowed to log a PMO cache. They can't do it the usual way, though - they have to use a back-door logging method. (Go to http://www.geocachingadmin.com/ and enter the GC code, then click Log.)

Correct. Plus there are additional ways to log PMO caches as Basic Member: my wife simply uses one of the third party partner apps. The API allows logging, if you have the GC number.

Another one: The Premium Member can click on "Log my found" and give the resulting URI (the address in the internet browser) to the Basic Member.

All of these are accepted by Groundspeak, which I'm glad for. I don't want to buy memberships for me and the just occasionally logging rest of family.

What probably happened is that your DNF made the cache an advanced cache. Then the free app wouldn't show it anymore without a premium membership.

Yeah this is what I thought so for the next couple of ones, if I didn't find it I didn't do anything and moved on. But then later I tried it on one but it didn't go to premium.

I don't mind paying for something I just want to pay for the correct things I need to get the job done.

Could it be that the app filtrs out caches that have a DNF as last log? Would be a weird algorithm, but possible.

EDIT: maybe you can set those filters in the app?

The free/basic/trial app will only show 'Easy' caches without problem logs, to basic members.

IF you logged a DNF the cache will not be shown as an 'Easy' cache for basic members, and will be filtered out of the caches shown.

As such, it's not 'Premium' as in Premium Members Only, it's now what GS now call 'Advanced' :rolleyes:

Edited by Bear and Ragged

With the improvements rumored to be coming to Groundspeak's free app, one can only hope they plan to eliminate their paid app, if for no other reason than to simplify this confusing mess.

Which would, I'm presuming, require me to pay for an annual service rather than make a one off payment?

I'll say now that I certainly don't "hope" for this "improvement". I'd argue that clarity and, in fact, transparency would help much more - the "mess" seems to be caused by the misleading terminology used in the intro app.

Could it be that the app filtrs out caches that have a DNF as last log? Would be a weird algorithm, but possible.

EDIT: maybe you can set those filters in the app?

The free/basic/trial app will only show 'Easy' caches without problem logs, to basic members.

IF you logged a DNF the cache will not be shown as an 'Easy' cache for basic members, and will be filtered out of the caches shown.

When changed the meaning of "I personally didn't find the cache" to "this cache has problems and can't be found"? So the inconsistent, more or less random behaviour of anybody else can change the game for intro app users at anytime? This has potential for a new side game.

From an IT view: that's not very intuitive and a rather weird algorithm... poor newbies. :rolleyes:

With the improvements rumored to be coming to Groundspeak's free app, one can only hope they plan to eliminate their paid app, if for no other reason than to simplify this confusing mess.

Which would, I'm presuming, require me to pay for an annual service rather than make a one off payment?

No, they'd be giving away what they previously charged $10 for, the app. Premium membership wouldn't change.

See how confusing it is? (No app gives you what the annual service does; they're different concepts.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

No, they'd be giving away what they previously charged $10 for, the app. Premium membership wouldn't change.

See how confusing it is?

My understanding was that the intro app only allowed a user to access a limited range of caches. In order to get access to other caches they need to purchase a premium membership, yes?

Whereas I bought an app 3 years ago and paid once for more or less the same set of caches.

I noticed today, June 12, 2015 that after an upgrade to my android app I can no longer access many, many caches on my map. They are designated premium now where yesterday they were not. That's ok except that I am new to all this and have not decided whether I want to continue or not. With so many caches not available to me now how do I make a informed decision on whether to continue? Any input welcome. Thanks

I noticed today, June 12, 2015 that after an upgrade to my android app I can no longer access many, many caches on my map. They are designated premium now where yesterday they were not. That's ok except that I am new to all this and have not decided whether I want to continue or not. With so many caches not available to me now how do I make a informed decision on whether to continue? Any input welcome. Thanks

Using the intro app?

Are they truly premium or "advanced" caches?

Using the intro app?

Are they truly premium or "advanced" caches?

Just checked again on my phone, if I click on the now GREY caches, I get the notice that I need premium to access them. It is titled ADVANCED and then the notice to upgrade to premium. I am fine on my PC.

That's the way it's sounding to me.

The Windows "full" app has been like that for some time.

No once-and-done payment. The app is free, but to have full you need to be a pm.

The free app shows basic members only caches that are "good beginner caches". Other caches are considered "advanced" caches, and are shown only to premium members.

Did something happen to make the caches no longer "good beginner caches"? Was a Needs Maintenance log posted? Or was the difficulty/terrain rating changed by the owner? Or something else?

The free app shows basic members only caches that are "good beginner caches". Other caches are considered "advanced" caches, and are shown only to premium members.

Did something happen to make the caches no longer "good beginner caches"? Was a Needs Maintenance log posted? Or was the difficulty/terrain rating changed by the owner? Or something else?

I have been a beginner for about a month in which time I have completed multi caches as well as several difficult levels of cache finds. So I don't think this has to do with beginner caches. Just my thought. I have also submitted maintenance posts and such.

Edited by skipperl