Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
miihek

Math Review Assignment

I love geocaching and I want to find a way to include it in my classroom as an activity my students could go do. My thought was to have my students go on a weekend for extra credit and complete a geocache somewhere around town that would have coordinate riddles they would have to find by solving Geometry questions. My only concern was that I would have to make my students pay for the app if I wanted to do a multi step cache. Any teachers find away to work with this other than asking my students to pay if they want the extra credit? I considered making a few single find clues in one area that they could solve, but that would still be classified as a mystery cache and the students would have to pay for the app for that too.... any suggestions?

I use the free app for my kids. I also have 4 GPS units I loan out to students. They sign a contract that if they lose or damage the unit, they replace it with one with equal or greater functionality. I have been doing this for three years now. One unit lost, one damaged. Both families replaced them with purchases from Ebay.

Does the free app no longer show multi and mystery caches? I was unaware the free app no longer showed those.

There are a few mystery caches that use projection to find the final.

For example at the posted coordinates you will find 2 sets of numbers

The first will be the compass bearing in true north and the second number will be the distance in feet/meters

You must project where the final location will be

At the very least, you can give them the puzzles to solve and find the coordinates. For local puzzles, they could then go try and find the cache. But you can also give them puzzles for non-local caches.

And if you need some ideas for making geometry-based puzzle caches, use some of these. I'm quite proud of them.