Online Footpaths

Can anybody recommend an online source of maps that show the majority of footpaths? OS 1:10000 show major footpaths but is woefully inadequate for the minor ones. I've just completed a Worcestershire series that uses some really obscure paths, marked on the ground with waypoints, that don't occur on any map I've been able to find online. Downloadables for a Garmin would be the icing on the cake but I think it's a big ask for this level of data to be readily available.

<Slaps forehead hard>

Thanks Suss, as soon as I read that I realised I know that having been involved in 'saving a footpath' years ago (although it was pre inter-web days). A quick look at my counci'ls web page and there's the answer.

Thanks.

Most council websites have a link to the definitive map for their own county.

Can anybody recommend an online source of maps that show the majority of footpaths? OS 1:10000 show major footpaths but is woefully inadequate for the minor ones. I've just completed a Worcestershire series that uses some really obscure paths, marked on the ground with waypoints, that don't occur on any map I've been able to find online. Downloadables for a Garmin would be the icing on the cake but I think it's a big ask for this level of data to be readily available.

Just out of interest, I'm surprised that a scale as detailed as 1:10000 doesn't show all the defined rights of way. Checking the local area, the 1:25000 map seems to have no less detail than the definitive map (of which a version is available via http://www.rowmaps.com/). Any idea why some would be missed off by the OS? I'd have thought that the OS would be supplied by the County Council with details.

HH. That is a fantastic URL, thanks for posting it. It's just what I was hoping existed out in interweb land. I am very conscious not to go trampling over land that I've no right to be on, this resource will keep me on the right path. Thanks again. And no Joulc, I don't need extra clues but thanks for offering.

Just out of interest, I'm surprised that a scale as detailed as 1:10000 doesn't show all the defined rights of way. Checking the local area, the 1:25000 map seems to have no less detail than the definitive map (of which a version is available via http://www.rowmaps.com/). Any idea why some would be missed off by the OS? I'd have thought that the OS would be supplied by the County Council with details.

It's a shame that not all councils and local authorities provide digital ROW data or even have online maps accessible. Last time I looked Cumbria had an online version but nothing to download and previously refused a freedom of information request for their data (requested by the rowmaps owner). Tyne and Wear doesn't even have an online version.

Hopefully soon there'll be a new set of maps released which show all the ROW from the rowmaps site and paths etc from OpenStreetmap - on Garmin, Android (cgeo + more) and hopefully iOs. It just needs a few more tweaks...

Take a look here..https://www.facebook.com/groups/1649448581936494/

Those are the maps which I hinted about in my previous post. For anyone who doesn't use Facebook or who doesn't want to join the group here's the direct link to the Google drive. Full instructions are at that link.

If you have any problems please join the Facebook group (signing up to Facebook if required).

The maps contain all the Right of Way data from http://www.rowmaps.com/, covering most of England and Wales. Footpaths/bridleways and some tracks are also included from OpenStreetMaps