Swear Words in Cache Names.

I know this is a little off-topic, so please forgive me, but what about Geocachers who have inappropriate names? How is that handled?

Someone notices the offensive name and either reports it to Geocaching HQ through the Help Center (right answer) or reports it to their friendly Commmunity Volunteer Reviewer (who then forwards the complaint to HQ). It is fun to see the sense of humor often exhibited by HQ when they change the account's name to something inoffensive that is usually a pun playing off the offensive name. Example: "Loves Mommy Lots."

I know this is a little off-topic, so please forgive me, but what about Geocachers who have inappropriate names? How is that handled?

We've seen posters here have had their names changed while posting.

Socks mostly I guess.

Not sure if they're given an option before it's changed for them. :D

Though I suspect some do use names meant to provoke, often if they're ignored, they'll change it themselves.

- Kinda lost the effect they were hoping for.

One near me, their friends said the name wasn't appropriate (supposedly someone complained too, but don't know about that personally).

One item was added. Still means the same to them, but now doesn't appear offensive to others.

A recent new poster has a name that's familiar with anyone who watched Saturday Night Live.

If seen in that way, it seems less inappropriate, and maybe not too original. ;)

A mail to Groundspeak usually gets you an answer and a change if they agree it's inappropriate.

Thanks guys. I just didn't know. The name is sexually inappropriate in nature, so I plan on reporting it to Groundspeak.

If this is really about the "Dogs and Bitches" cache, you are overreacting. I didn't know it was the correct term for a female dog, but as a kayaker I do know the Bitches. I think it's a well chosen name. Would you like to have that name changed on the maps, too?

Thanks guys. I just didn't know. The name is sexually inappropriate in nature, so I plan on reporting it to Groundspeak.

If this is really about the "Dogs and Bitches" cache, you are overreacting. I didn't know it was the correct term for a female dog, but as a kayaker I do know the Bitches. I think it's a well chosen name. Would you like to have that name changed on the maps, too?

No, that one is fine. This one is degrading, disgusting, and nowhere close to appropriate for a family friendly game.

Reminds me of some earlier controversies. Jeep TBs named after mountains. I think I remember Squaw's Tit getting changed. Then there was a cache in a piece of wood, off Morning Drive called Morning Wood. (I had to Google that to see whey it was considered offensive.) That was archived for being offensive!

Then there are cachers who continually push the line. WilcoTangoFoxtrot? I know what that means. And that is offensive. But that cacher continues to use that name.

Bitch? Used properly, it is the proper English word for a female dog. Not a problem if used properly.

I didn't know that "d amn" is swearing. It's a very mild curse. You'd hear much stronger stuff on TV 50 years ago (Alf Garnett, for instance). I love the Gone With the Wind (geocaching-friendly version) quote!

The interesting thing about http://coord.info/GC1V08E is that it seems to be mostly found by Americans, despite being in Austria, Europe and despite Americans being notoriously prudish about such matters.

"Bitch", as far as I've heard, is also very mild (people often say "stop bitching", for instance, and it's not remotely sweary).

The interesting thing about http://coord.info/GC1V08E is that it seems to be mostly found by Americans, despite being in Austria, Europe and despite Americans being notoriously prudish about such matters.

I guess that's the biggest problem. Regional differences. Europeans mostly think a lot more liberal than Americans and then again there are differences between N/S E/W countries. I've never be offended by any name or word, I might have an opinion on the one using it though :ph34r:

I think it's funny that on US newssites they use "the F-bomb" instead of what's really said or the put a beep to cover sound when everyone knows what was said anyway.

I didn't know that "d amn" is swearing. It's a very mild curse.

It's an interesting example of an English curse word that comes from a religious context. Most English swear words are related to body functions.

(Living in a bilingual region, I find the difference between English and French swearing very interesting.)

Could the OP please link the "offensive" cache names for better ranting/disagreement/agreement data? kthxbai.

They were in post seven.

The words were posted but I haven't seen links to the caches in question. Since context plays a big part in language, I can't really give an opinion without knowing what caches we're talking about.

Could the OP please link the "offensive" cache names for better ranting/disagreement/agreement data? kthxbai.

They were in post seven.

The words were posted but I haven't seen links to the caches in question. Since context plays a big part in language, I can't really give an opinion without knowing what caches we're talking about.

^this. I see that we were discussing dadgum and Ladydogs, but as plenty of others mentioned, there's quite a bit of devil in hte Details of the names. That european town that starts with F, for example. Or the "what the fox..." one, which does Not have any swear words in in at all, but is fully intended to be a play on the words. (I like it, personally, but could also over-argue that it offends my kids if I were that sort of person)

The whole argument IMHO could be aided by just a few more details. linking the caches won't put the swearing in the forum, so there's no risk of penalty there, is there? Why not offer full transparency so we can debate it properly, whichever way we each slant?

...(I like it, personally, but could also over-argue that it offends my kids if I were that sort of person)

The whole argument IMHO could be aided by just a few more details. linking the caches won't put the swearing in the forum, so there's no risk of penalty there, is there? Why not offer full transparency so we can debate it properly, whichever way we each slant?

If I wanted to find out what words are currently used for properly swearing I could do worse than asking a few kids - they'd know better than most adults.

I agree that without the cache names being known we're discussing in a bit of a vacuum. Perhaps we'd all agree that they're offensive if we knew the context. As argued above, the words themselves aren't necessarily offensive.