Swear Words in Cache Names.

While the immediate answer is of course No and swearing wouldn't get through the review process it may be a matter of perspective. There are many words that are flat out not acceptable and should never be muttered in polite company.

There are many words though that occupy a "grey area" which straddle the border between acceptable to many and not acceptable to many others. The beauty of the english language is it is constantly evolving and words that I use on a daily basis may not be as acceptable in your part of the world.

If it is one of those "magic 4 letter words", contact a reviewer about it.

Hello, fellow geocachers. =)

I was wondering if caches are allowed to have swear words in their title, as I have seen 3 already, no matter how mild. If it is allowed, I do disapprove of this, as geocaching is a family game. =/

Thank You! =D

Which ones?

What the words or the caches?

It could be a cultural thing as well. For example, here in Australia, a well known car company ran a series of ads featuring the word, "Bugger." Complaints to the advertising standards board were rejected (i.e. the ad was allowed to continue running), because the word was found to be acceptable in Australia.

Hello, fellow geocachers. =)

I was wondering if caches are allowed to have swear words in their title, as I have seen 3 already, no matter how mild. If it is allowed, I do disapprove of this, as geocaching is a family game. =/

Thank You! =D

Which ones?

What the words or the caches?

Da*n and b***h. Sorry if I'm just over society conscious, I get that a lot. =/

Bit*h would depend very much on the context.

dadgum on the other hand.... you'd probably struggle to get to many objectors to that.

As said before though, if they are considered not appropriate in your neck of the woods have a chat to the reviewer about it.

** On a side note it appears that GS views d amn as inappropriate, the forum software keeps changing it to dadgum. I find that offensive!**

Edited by Tassie_Boy

Is that all? A female dog is not a swear word. Would you object to "tit for tat"? Again perfectly acceptable expression.

I'm sure you realize that many words have more than one meaning, right? I don't think those are the intended meanings. Its all about context.

I'm sure you realize that many words have more than one meaning, right? I don't think those are the intended meanings. Its all about context.

Of course, however, it's seems that people are less and less tolerant these days. (bad comparison but see growing extremism everywhere be it in politics, religion... and caching)

Of course, however, it's seems that people are less and less tolerant these days. (bad comparison but see growing extremism everywhere be it in politics, religion... and caching)

LESS tolerant these days? 20-30 years ago, those two words would almost never have been heard on TV or allowed in general polite society. No - society is growing much more lax in its language standards.

LESS tolerant these days? 20-30 years ago, those two words would almost never have been heard on TV or allowed in general polite society. No - society is growing much more lax in its language standards.

20-30 years ago nobody complained about children playing outside, now we see people going to court to get rid of daycare centers and/or playgrounds in their neighborhood (in Belgium), more people are having problems with their neighbors than ever before so yes, people get less tolerant.

Call it NIMBY syndrome.

20-30 years ago nobody complained about children playing outside, now we see people going to court to get rid of daycare centers and/or playgrounds in their neighborhood (in Belgium), more people are having problems with their neighbors than ever before so yes, people get less tolerant.

Call it NIMBY syndrome.

We are talking about words in cache names that some people find offensive. Perhaps you should not be so intolerant of their views.

Is that all? A female dog is not a swear word. Would you object to "tit for tat"? Again perfectly acceptable expression.

Not only that...but seriously, how often do you see that word used in a NON-offensive manner? I'd actually say it's use as a derogatory word has effectively overridden its valid use as a name for a female dog. I can't even remember the last time I heard it used that way.

We are talking about words in cache names that some people find offensive.

I know and I can't think of any word that I would find offensive. I might find certain words not appropriate but offensive? Don't think so.

Perhaps you should not be so intolerant of their views.

I tolerate anyone's views. But also think anyone has the right to be offended (and then move on).

I know and I can't think of any word that I would find offensive. I might find certain words not appropriate but offensive? Don't think so.

I tolerate anyone's views. But also think anyone has the right to be offended (and then move on).

So...(and I'm treading very carefully here) if you saw a cache title with certain racially or gender derogatory words, you would only deem them "not appropriate"? Many words are created and used to be intentionally offensive when they are used in a derogatory manner. Are you saying those people ought to just "move on"?

What useful purpose does it serve to include terms which many might consider inappropriate or even offensive in a cache title. Can't we just agree to use family friendly cache titles and move on?

So...(and I'm treading very carefully here) if you saw a cache title with certain racially or gender derogatory words, you would only deem them "not appropriate"? Many words are created and used to be intentionally offensive when they are used in a derogatory manner. Are you saying those people ought to just "move on"?

It says more about the people using the words than the ones seeing them. Would they offend me? Maybe, would I care? Nope.

It says more about the people using the words than the ones seeing them. Would they offend me? Maybe, would I care? Nope.

As I see it, whether or not using certain words would offend me isn't the issue. The fact that they may offend someone else is, to me, reason enough not to use those words.

Not sure "Dadgummed Yankees" would have become a top Broadway hit.

- And "Dadgum the torpedoes, full speed ahead!", a famous order issued by Admiral David Farragut during the Battle of Mobile Bay, probably wouldn't have been remembered today. :)

Edited by cerberus1

Using the proper word to call a female dog is fine. Using the same word for a woman would be swearing. However, "tit for tat" is not and never has been cursing. There are a some jokes about it that make it sound a little off color, but the phrase never has been.

The saying comes from "tip for tap", meaning "blow for blow,".

Back on topic, there are many words that can be thought of as swear words, or perfectly fine words depending on usage.

- And "Dadgum the torpedoes, full speed ahead!", a famous order issued by Admiral David Farragut during the Battle of Mobile Bay, probably wouldn't have been remembered today. :)

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a dadgum."

As I see it, whether or not using certain words would offend me isn't the issue. The fact that they may offend someone else is, to me, reason enough not to use those words.

That's only reasonable to a point. If my mystical belief system says that the word "tree" is sacred and off-limits, then everyone has to stop saying tree?

That's only reasonable to a point. If my mystical belief system says that the word "tree" is sacred and off-limits, then everyone has to stop saying tree?

Of course it's only reasonable to a point. We're not talking about words like "tree". We're talking about what the OP described as a "swear word". I think that most of us are capable of determining which words are "swear words", and frankly I don't see why anyone is arguing that we should be allowed to use them in cache names. As I said earlier, what purpose does it serve?

One of those words may well be offensive in context.

But the other? It was used in the title of a musical on Broadway opening in 1955. People may use it as a swear word, but there is a legitimate argument that it really isn't.

Indeed, there is a local cache that uses a version as part of the title, in which it forms part of the cache puzzle.

It's very regional too. I remember a certain Prince record that was very popular on the radio here but was considered offending in the US.

Shazbot! Frak, frak, frak! Shut the gorram front door!

I'm really tempted to link a Youtube video of Roman Maroni's courtroom speech from 'Johnny Dangerously'...but I'll leave it to others to go find that one. :anitongue:

Anyway...as for what constitutes a "swear word"...I don't think anyone really believes we're talking about "tree" or "cow" or any such things. Borderline stuff might be the frequently-referred-to British slang for cigarette, but I think the fact that it's derogatory use has become almost universally understood makes its use a 'no-no' here. Generally, we all know what words we're referring to here and digressing into obscure uses in other regions is a distraction.

Edited by J Grouchy

Of course it's only reasonable to a point. We're not talking about words like "tree". We're talking about what the OP described as a "swear word". I think that most of us are capable of determining which words are "swear words", and frankly I don't see why anyone is arguing that we should be allowed to use them in cache names. As I said earlier, what purpose does it serve?

We don't know what the OP considers a "swear word." Given the claim that they've found three, I wonder if they might be setting the "swear" bar a little on the low side. I mean, it's possible that there's some sort of rogue reviewer who will publish the f-bombs, but somehow I doubt it.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a dadgum."

You beat me to it. Saying it with the word "dadgum" makes me giggle. :laughing:

We don't know what the OP considers a "swear word." Given the claim that they've found three, I wonder if they might be setting the "swear" bar a little on the low side. I mean, it's possible that there's some sort of rogue reviewer who will publish the f-bombs, but somehow I doubt it.

As I see it, there really isn't anything to gain by doing anything but setting the bar on the low side. I really don't care if you or anyone else wants to cuss like a sailor (or my grandmother) but I can't think of a single reason why the use of swear words, no matter how you define them, is appropriate in a cache name and it completely baffles me that anyone would argue that they should be allowed.

It's no secret that you don't like being told by anyone how to manage your caches so it's no surprise that you'd actually blame the OP for being too sensitive.

As I see it, there really isn't anything to gain by doing anything but setting the bar on the low side. I really don't care if you or anyone else wants to cuss like a sailor (or my grandmother) but I can't think of a single reason why the use of swear words, no matter how you define them, is appropriate in a cache name and it completely baffles me that anyone would argue that they should be allowed.

It's no secret that you don't like being told by anyone how to manage your caches so it's no surprise that you'd actually blame the OP for being too sensitive.

Well, I've defined the following words as swear words, so nobody should put them in a cache name: soccer, tree, fish.

I haven't argued that "swear words" should be allowed. I can't imagine a legitimate "swear word" getting by a reviewer, so I'm curious to know what these "swear words" are.

GCVZ08 seems to be on of the caches in question. Reading the cache page explains the name so there is a point to the name.

Clearly not a swear word, then.

Prohibiting people from using words in their original, not derogatory context is far more offensive than the saltiest of sailor swears.

i have always wondered why everyone worries about "the children" in such topics. Kids dont really care what words are used. Kids dont see nudity as anything but nudity, and swearing is something only ADULTS are offended by. Family friendly, always refers to an ADULT who lead a sheltered life does it not?

If a kid cant read, the title is moot.

If a kid CAN read, and knows what the word means, the horse is already out of the barn....

If a kid CAN read, and doesnt know what it means, feel free to tell them, it is french for "i love eating brussel sprouts and doing homework" and you will never hear it again.

The world would be a happy place if everyone who was ever offended used the 5 degree rule. If turning your head 5 degrees solves your problem, YOU were the problem. lol.

I am a fan of the late George Carlin, and tend to agree with you about most offensive words (there are still a few that I find offensive, because the intent is obviously to offend) but that doesn't mean that I would deliberately use words in a cache name that I thought might offend some with different sensibilities. That is called "being sociable".

If, in my mystical belief system, the use of absurd strawmen in arguments is sacred and off-limits... would you stop using them? :laughing:

How about this cache? GC1V08E

If the government can place a sign like that then why can a cache not have that word? Exactly what I meant by regional differences.

Because it is the name of a place, not a verb or adjective. I think the fact that the cache owner chose to use that name deliberately for his cache is exploiting that fact as a cheap joke, but the fact is that it is a real place name, so pretty tough for a reviewer to question.

If the government can place a sign like that then why can a cache not have that word? Exactly what I meant by regional differences.

Because it is the name of a place, not a verb or adjective. I think the fact that the cache owner chose to use that name deliberately for his cache is exploiting that fact as a cheap joke, but the fact is that it is a real place name, so pretty tough for a reviewer to question.

Yep, it's the actual name of the Austrian town (whose signs routinely get stolen).

Yep, it's the actual name of the Austrian town (whose signs routinely get stolen).

I'm sure dorm rooms are full of them.

There's a "college" neighborhood in Palo Alto with street names like Stanford, Yale, and Harvard. The problem of street signs disappearing reduced significantly when they started installing very flimsy signs with relatively sturdy mounts. Once most of the kids figured out that they'd probably destroy the signs in the process of stealing them, they stopped stealing them.

I know this is a little off-topic, so please forgive me, but what about Geocachers who have inappropriate names? How is that handled?

Define "inappropriate name". It might be a regional issue. I know of a person who's account was blocked by one of the "social media" sites while she just used her own name (she's well known in Belgium as an ex-miss something). It's a normal name (written with K or C) in these parts but the US company found it to be "inappropriate".

Be offended. Disapprove. But don't blame geocaching. That's like blaming the bullhorn manufacturer when someone cusses through a bullhorn.

Honestly, I think geocaching is a good venue for exposing children to the offensive language that they will eventually encounter in real life. Children too young won't see the offensive words to begin with. Older children will see the offensive words largely under your control, with you right there to explain that you disapprove of them. The children can learn from you how to react to people that are rude and offensive. And the power of the offensive words are minimized because, after all, they're just cache titles or user handles that aren't really important to the game you're playing.