Benchmark hunting is front page story for WSJ

At the bottom of the front page of the Wall Street Journal (Saturday, May 2, 2015) is an article about benchmark hunting. This spot is usually for unique and fun topics. The article mentions that many benchmark hunters happened upon the hobby via geocaching. Maybe there will be bump in also posting to the US Benchmark category.

I believe it was an early inspiration when geocaching.com dumped 750,000 items to find on the website when there were not yet many geocaches hidden. Waymarking has built on that effort to provide more tools for providing information about a wider range of marks around the world.

I've enjoyed the hunt in having to go back in history to have the right context for road reference, trees that have long grown up and been removed, and dirt burying the marker.

FYI for those who participate in the benchmark categories... and an invitation for other to try seeking out one soon.

I don't normally seek out the benchmarks, however, it is amazing how many benchmarks are located on either old banks, or on the grounds of Post Offices and Courthouses. I always think of these finds as little diamonds and will post them or mark them as visits as appropriate. Just another reason I like to post the National Register Districts - you never know WHAT other categories you'll post! :)

I enjoy benchmark hunting too. I also have been following this related thread.

It's too bad no one in that thread reached out to any of the officers of the U.S. Benchmarks category for guidance. The leader, ernmark, is highly knowledgeable in 'All Things Benchmarking' (more than I am) and could have given much advice and input to the reporter (he's located in Philadelphia, so not too far from her either). I was glad to know shorbird took her out for a day of benchmarking, his benchmark submissions are the best quality since he goes to the trouble of putting talc powder on the disks which really make the stamping stand out, capturing every dent and scratch on the disk.

We avid benchmarkers are also a little weary of increasing the popularity of the hobby because unfortunately, the worry of 'shady' individuals who end up compromising very old and historic marks by stealing or damaging them is always out there.