Just Hid My First Geocache!

My first Geocache hide was published today! (So I'm very excited and want to celebrate! :D )

But the other reason I would like to post this is to ask what YOU like about Geocaching. What's your favorite part about it? And what makes you choose a cache to find? Also, what DON'T you like? What turns you away from looking for a cache?

What's your favorite part about it?

I like it because it takes me places I probably wouldn't have even been before. (Normally because I didn't know the places existed.

And what makes you choose a cache to find?

I typically find "Radius" Caches. (Try to get all of the caches in a certain radius of my home location).

Sometimes I will grab a cache if it's close to where I am when I go on trips, or I will need a state or county I will try to grab one when I am there.

When I am lucky i will have what I call Cache Days. I pick an area and pick a somewhat random cache and as I find the caches I just move on to the next closest.

Also, what DON'T you like? What turns you away from looking for a cache?

I hate Lamppost Caches. I don't like micros when there could have been a regular+ placed there.

My first Geocache hide was published today! (So I'm very excited and want to celebrate! :D )

But the other reason I would like to post this is to ask what YOU like about Geocaching. What's your favorite part about it? And what makes you choose a cache to find? Also, what DON'T you like? What turns you away from looking for a cache?

I like the full experience. A swag size, quality container (i.e. designed to be water tight), well maintained, in a nice location, with a logbook instead of a logsheet. Something that says the cache owner cares to create a quality geocaching experience for a wide audience of geocachers. Bonus points for creativity - painted container, disguised container that hasn't been done umpteen times before (e.g. the hollow log).

I'm fairly omnivorous when it comes to caching. Sometimes, it's an excuse for a trip (even if the trip is just a short detour from my commute). Sometimes, it's an interesting place (historic, scenic, artistic--especially caches that draw attention to public art). Sometimes, it's a challenge (a solve-at-home puzzle, an on-site puzzle, 4-star camouflage, clever placement). Sometimes it's companionship, although I don't make it to events, unevents, and group hikes very often.

The main thing I don't like is rushing from one cache to the next to the next. I'd rather find fewer caches and spend more time with each one, letting everyone in the group have a chance to spot the hide (huckle buckle beanstalk style, as opposed to three musketeers style), rather than zooming from cache to cache to cache, racking up lots of smileys but paying no more attention to each cache than whether it was a Find or a DNF.

When I choose a specific cache to find, I try to choose one that is somehow different. Traditional caches with high difficulty (especially if the owner has a reputation for challenging "in plain sight" camouflage and excellent coordinates) are good. Non-traditional caches are good: multi-caches, puzzle caches, Wherigo caches, Letterbox Hybrid caches that use letterbox-style clues, that sort of thing.

But sometimes, it's just a cache that's close and convenient. As I said, I'm rather omnivorous.

I like when geocaching takes me to interesting places I have never visited before. My favorite geocaches would have to be ones hidden in ammo cans, and least favorite would be micros.

Congratulations

Like - keeping fit while occupying my mind with the humour and intelligence exhibited by the CO's in their hides and locations and containers used. I like being taken to magical landscapes or having my nerve tested by a dangerous location. Walking along a plank is easy. When it spans a high drop it becomes less so. It's mind over matter. I love the ftf game we tease other ftf hounds with. Love finding and moving TB's. I like the feeling that I've exercised myself, my mind and done so in the best gym there is. I love most of the people we meet and have met. Literally it makes me warm inside when I see certain people. This hobby has it all.

Turned off by - I can only use specific examples. TB hotels because there is no clear rules anyone can point to. It's a simple fix. I find it incredible that it has not be done despite overwhelming screaming voices asking for it. For YEARS. And this has led to unpleasant experiences for us. Taking all the TB's on holiday with us when they have spent 3 months loitering in an ammo can. Gaining them mileage and getting them into the game. Even placing TB's in the can previously. On a few occasions. But after removing them all on one ocassion, getting slagged off on the cache page for doing it. It was spiteful. And having our out deleted for the same reason elsewhere when we first started. Had no idea that there were trading rules in place. Log deleted - a very angsty email exchanges - reveiwer intervention - cache page enforced change. A lot of bad feeling. And down the road ... at least 5 more left as is. It's not good. They cost users a lot of money when they go missing. They go missing all the time (one here 7 TB's/coins) never got a find before it was stolen.

People (and one person even posted on here asking if anyone could take the 30 odd they had off their hands) who pick up TB's/coins and stop. And don't get it that they are thieves. Ours is being held along with the other 30 or slightly less, by the same person that posted on here. We have offered to pay for the postage for all of them to be sent to us so we can get them moved. And ours back. Nothing. They came on here asking for someone to do just that. Stuff like that depresses me and the other thing that depresses me is when people say "you should expect that they will get stolen" "you may as well throw $5 in the street". Sad.

Finally the way poeple arrive here and have a problem with a simple solution - and it gets magnified, examined, dissected, argued over, analysed to death, reported to Groundspeak, vilified by some posters, and at no point has anyone had the courtesy to inform the person it concerned. Well I say no one - we do. It's only right. I'd want to know why my life has suddenly become a little more complicated. And who had done it so I didn't think i had upset someone local I class as a friend.

Also, what DON'T you like? What turns you away from looking for a cache?

Most puzzles... I'm still pretty new, there's hundreds of traditionals within a short drive that I haven't found yet. Puzzles of the "Get numbers from the monument" sort are one thing, but give me a big block of numbers and I just move on.