UNESCO: Biosphere reserves

Firstly, this is not a duplicate of the category "World Heritage Sites" listed on the UNESCO website.

"Tervas says,

Hello, Sorry, but world heritage is world heritage, biosphere is another thing (Every now and then someone tries to waymark these nature locations to this cultural category). Suggestion: create a new UNESCO biosphere WM category, I think that would be popular."

This is the response I received about the UNESCO Biosphere Reserves, when I wrote for a clarification. Clearly, they would not be accepted in the category.

Just tossing the idea out for consideration. The following was copied from the UNESCO: Biosphere Reserves – Learning Sites for Sustainable Development. Source: http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/environment/ecological-sciences/biosphere-reserves/

"Biosphere reserves are areas comprising terrestrial, marine and coastal ecosystems. Each reserve promotes solutions reconciling the conservation of biodiversity with its sustainable use.

Biosphere reserves are ‘Science for Sustainability support sites’ – special places for testing interdisciplinary approaches to understanding and managing changes and interactions between social and ecological systems, including conflict prevention and management of biodiversity.

Biosphere reserves are nominated by national governments and remain under the sovereign jurisdiction of the states where they are located. Their status is internationally recognized.

There are 631 biosphere reserves in 119 countries, including 14 transboundary sites. They are distributed as follows:

64 in 28 countries in Africa

27 in 11 countries in the Arab States

130 in 23 countries in Asia and the Pacific

290 in 36 countries in Europe and North America

120 in 21 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Three zones, one biosphere reserve!

Biosphere reserves have three interrelated zones that aim to fulfil three complementary and mutually reinforcing functions:

The core area(s) comprises a strictly protected ecosystem that contributes to the conservation of landscapes, ecosystems, species and genetic variation.

The buffer zone surrounds or adjoins the core areas, and is used for activities compatible with sound ecological practices that can reinforce scientific research, monitoring, training and education.

The transition area is the part of the reserve where the greatest activity is allowed, fostering economic and human development that is socio-culturally and ecologically sustainable."

Criteria: Must be listed on the UNESCO website

Must include at least two images taken by the waymarker: NO photos taken from the internet.

Coordinates taken by the waymarker.

At least one paragraph about the location, developed by the waymarker. This is NOT a copy and paste category.

If "some" of the information is taken from the UNESCO website or other source, it MUST be cited.

This new category WILL NOT accept any waymark that can be posted in the World Heritage Sites category. NO cross postings.

Any suggestions and ideas are all welcome.

Anyone willing to be an officer, please contact us using our profile page.

A group has not been created, awaiting your response.

Regards: BK-Hunters

Edited by BK-Hunters

You've done your research! Well done! I'm all for it since it looks to be a very educational category and the fact that they exist all over the world is an added bonus. I guess the only challenge is making sure the posted coordinates are in a place that won't get duplicated somewhere else in a reserve since I'm assuming they encompass many square miles of land and water. Maybe follow the guidelines that other categories have in place for areas of large acreage?

You have my vote!

Hi lumbricus, I am aware that some of these reserves are gigantic, this does seem to be one of the major obstacles of this new category.

I have tried to come up with a solution that is workable. So far, not too successful.

As well from some of the research I have done, some of the reserves, as best as I can tell; do not have signs, no distinguishable landmarks, and in some cases; difficult or impossible to reach a high enough elevation to provide an overview of the area. Just to name a few... ^_^

Anyone have any suggestions?

I really like this idea! And I am with fi67: don't make it too complicated. If you found a good place to observe the reserve (an access road, an overlook or anything else that is good enough to take a picture of it - that is your coordinates to waymark the place.

The only problem I see is that of all large places: Do you allow more than one waymark for the same Reserve, if they are reasonably different?

On a Waymarking trip we so happened to take a break at a roadside pull out and noticed a sign. It was for a biosphere reserve by Unesco. The upshot is, at least in this case, there was a sign, we were able to take lots of pictures of the area and the information was very detailed. :D:D We would appreciate your input so this category at least has hope to pass review. Anyone interested in being an officer? Post your interest here and a group will be created. Thanks.

We sure do need your input about this category. All comments are welcome, and if you have questions post them here. Sure need this category to get off the ground, as we have found another UNESCO: Biosphere Reserve today complete with sign, information signs and even the UNESCO flag was flying. I will start the group, hopefully this will help.

My feeling is duplicates for the same biosphere are ok as long as it is for a separate feature/marker etc., maybe with some separation distance required. As these can be very large the two waymarks could be quite different. I would probably limit an individual waymarker to one waymark per biosphere to eliminate someone person Waymarking every feature/marker in the area.

My feeling is duplicates for the same biosphere are ok as long as it is for a separate feature/marker etc., maybe with some separation distance required. As these can be very large the two waymarks could be quite different. I would probably limit an individual waymarker to one waymark per biosphere to eliminate someone person Waymarking every feature/marker in the area.

The LEGO Sculptures category limits the number of LEGO sculptures in an area to 2 so others may post a LEGO Sculpture. So often, LEGO sculptures are clustered so that one Waymarker could post all of them. The Biosphere seem to be the opposite situation - they are potentially so large and diverse, that many Waymarks may be allowed. As always, BruceS is dead on!

Take care, Outspoken1

The LEGO Sculptures category limits the number of LEGO sculptures in an area to 2 so others may post a LEGO Sculpture. So often, LEGO sculptures are clustered so that one Waymarker could post all of them. The Biosphere seem to be the opposite situation - they are potentially so large and diverse, that many Waymarks may be allowed. As always, BruceS is dead on!

Take care, Outspoken1

Multiple waymarks for a single biosphere may a solution from the poster's perspective, but it is not very visitor friendly.

If you have only one waymark for the whole area, then you can allow to log a visit from any location inside this area, which would be a good practice in my opinion. But if there are many waymarks, you maybe have no choice than to restrict visits to those locations. Or has anyone a solution for that?

Take care, Outspoken1

Multiple waymarks for a single biosphere may a solution from the poster's perspective, but it is not very visitor friendly.

If you have only one waymark for the whole area, then you can allow to log a visit from any location inside this area, which would be a good practice in my opinion. But if there are many waymarks, you maybe have no choice than to restrict visits to those locations. Or has anyone a solution for that?

Yes it would restrict to that particular feature etc. If they go to another part that is not already listed they can post a new waymark.

This is a Unesco Biosphere Reserve in The netherlands.

Waddenzee

Here is a line from wikipedia:

"The Wadden Sea stretches from Den Helder in the Netherlands in the southwest, past the great river estuaries of Germany to its northern boundary at Skallingen north of Esbjerg in Denmark along a total length of some 500 km and a total area of about 10,000 km2."

Here is a picture of the area:

250px-Morze_Wattowe.png

What will be the restictions for this one ? :blink:

2 or 3 Dutch postings with the same name Waddenzee

2 or 3 German postings with the same name Wattenmeer

(Germany has also 2 parts of the Waddenzee in the Unesco Biosphere Reserve)

And this one is very good for cheating.

That would be a big problem for the reviewers.

If i look at the Danish wikipedia site i see 3 pictures that i can shoot here nearby by myself.

I post some look a like pictures with the coordinats of the Waddenzee.

Voila :lol: one Waymark and one icon in my profile.

A reviewer can't see the difference.

(sorry to say that)

Grtz John

Edited by dreamhummie

Thanks to everyone for their comments. We are on vacation and will return around June 22. At this time we will address all the issues that have been mentioned and recreate new guidelines for your consideration. The group has open enrollment and you are encouraged to join, it is listed under "Newest Groups".

We are fortunate to have two fine officers, DougK and Outspoken 1 and want to acknowledge their support of this pending new category.

Your input is important and will assist us in creating an informative and educational category.

Edited by BK-Hunters