The best FTF is ..

Ibar

finding a blank log when on holiday halfway around the world in a cache that was already published a few days earlier.

I wasn't halfway around the world, but was about 700 miles from home. I went to find a cache, completely unaware that no one had found it, yet. When I found the blank log, I had assumed it was a replacement log. Only after I got back to my computer to log it did I find out I got the FTF

Accidentally coming across an FTF opportunity when far away from our home state of Texas. It happened in Ontario two years ago. We were returning to our truck after signing a blank log when two local cachers pulled up. We chatted awhile, then parted ways. About an hour later, we encountered them again and ended up finding a few co-FTFs. This is one of the ways that keeps this hobby interesting.

Edited by zoothornrollo

finding a blank log when on holiday halfway around the world in a cache that was already published a few days earlier.

Live in East Texas, but had just parked at a truck stop near Cartersville GA and checked for nearby caches on a whim. It was within 200 feet of the truck, had been published shortly before, and was mine for the taking. LOL

Another best one is when you didn't know the cache you found had never been found and you are FTF when you opened the cache up and find a blank log. You check online and you see no one has logged a find. Those I love. It has happened to me a few times.

Accidentally coming across an FTF opportunity when far away from our home state of Texas. It happened in Ontario two years ago. We were returning to our truck after signing a blank log when two local cachers pulled up. We chatted awhile, then parted ways. About an hour later, we encountered them again and ended up finding a few co-FTFs. This is one of the ways that keeps this hobby interesting.

Ha, I live in B.C. And while traveling through Texas I checked new caches from my hotel room and noticed a series of 6 new caches had just come out so woke up a bit earlier and picked up 6 FTFs before continuing on my journey. The first 5 were in the dark but when I got to the sixth the sun was jus comming up and I found myself on top of a hill with a stunning view. Very cool and unexpected.

I thought having some sort of reward was standard practice. From what I have seen and read from logs lately, FTF prizes are going the way of the dodo.
This seems to be regional. None of my FTFs had any kind of FTF prize, and from what I can tell, FTF prizes aren't very common around here. But it other areas, they seem to be expected, and the FTF crowd is disappointed when there isn't one.

I thought having some sort of reward was standard practice. From what I have seen and read from logs lately, FTF prizes are going the way of the dodo.

We remember that years ago here, when caches and cachers were few and far, a ftf prize was an incentive to head out in high heat or Winter's chill, and the norm.

I think today, with five caches in a parking lot, and so many folks rushing about for numbers, that extra incentive to leave the house isn't much needed anymore.

- And the ftf folks just want that glittery thing flashing across cache pages with their name on it. :)

Edited by cerberus1

We remember that years ago here, when caches and cachers were few and far, a ftf prize was an incentive to head out in high heat or Winter's chill, and the norm.

I think today, with five caches in a parking lot, and so many folks rushing about for numbers, that extra incentive to leave the house isn't much needed anymore.

- And the ftf folks just want that glittery thing flashing across cache pages with their name on it. :)

I always put a free TB in when I create a new cache, but I really don't need an incentive to find a cache. With some of the newbies creating caches 200+ ft away from the coordinates or not putting the cache in place before the listing goes live, being FTF is too much of a hassle.

...when you realize months later what a FTF is at all. :D

My second cache was my first multi AND a FTF: After accidentally stumbling over this game I found my first tradi without any GPS help (it was at a place I played as a kid and knew well enough). Later that day I read a lot on the web page and suddenly there was that new symbol on the map!? Took my car navigation (which is totally inaccurate below 5 km/h speed), got out a day later, followed the multi stages (~7), had to interrupt because of sunset, restarted a day later and found it. First. :D

It took some month to realize that FTF is a game in the game and I already had one. :)

I always put a free TB in when I create a new cache,

Did this once but the FTfinder didn't know what to do with it. He complained (!) that he found a geocoin which seems not to be registered anywhere. Never activated it. Nor did he reply to my explanation mail. *shrug*

but I really don't need an incentive to find a cache.

Me too. It's certainly no requirement, just a nice to have. Best when it fits somehow (location, cache theme, owner, ...). But not really needed.