Have message when log modification

SCS Team

Hi,

When a Geocacher is logging his found the owner receive a mail from it.

Do you think it could be possible that the owner will receive then same mail when the log is modify.

For example some GC are logging a "log coming soon this evening", but when he modify his log we will not receive a modify log.

Sorry for my english, thank's to reading me

Cyril

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Do you think it could be possible that the owner will receive then same mail when the log is modify.

For example some GC are logging a "log coming soon this evening", but when he modify his log we will not receive a modify log.

Cyril

I know I and several others have asked for this several times. I'd certainly like to see it. Also a notification of any uploaded pictures.

Hi,

Cyril

I now check maybe twice a month and sometimes notice pics or a log edit that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Don't know how folks with hundreds of caches would keep up.

This has been asked for before and it's still a good idea. :)

This has been asked for before and it's still a good idea. :)

Not necessarily. It could be that I modify a log more than 10 times.

Why would your aberrant behavior make the suggestion less of a good idea?

I just thought that most cache owners would not want to receive a mail any time a logger corrects a typo (when I catch the first typo, I immediately correct it and do not continue reading until the end of the log and repeat that procedure - if you want to call that aberrant ...) or adds a photo (due to a lack of time it could be that I upload each of say 7 photos for a cache at a different time or even different day - uploading photos to gc.com from my home sometimes is very slow slow and I neither have time nor patience to wait until I could upload another one).

This has been suggested before:

[Feature Request] Cache owner Notificatation for Edited Logs

That's one of the reasons I'd rather not log in the field. Instead, I create a terse field note, and later I use those field notes to post real logs when I'm using a real keyboard.

And I think the concern that cezanne raised could be addressed by sending a daily/weekly digest, rather than sending an instant notification each time a log is edited.

Absolutely not.

There's already too much reliance on emails and too many emails flying around. If someone writes "more later" in their log, why not just revisit the cache page a day or two later if you want to read it? We don't need notifications for every little change.

Absolutely not.

There's already too much reliance on emails and too many emails flying around. If someone writes "more later" in their log, why not just revisit the cache page a day or two later if you want to read it? We don't need notifications for every little change.

How about sending a notification if the new log differs from the old log by a user-configurable number of characters. So no notification is sent for a minor typo correction but one is sent for a major rewrite.

Absolutely not.

I much prefer a push notification system to a polling system. Besides which, a polling system requires me to check every log on every cache, every time to look for changes.