Formatting text in a "found it" log

NeverLostAu

I would like to add formatting to my found it logs, particularly for adding a list of qualifying finds for challenge caches.

I have noticed other people's very readable logs and I have asked them how it is done and they say that they have a macro in GSAK that does it. I do not use GSAK - I have it running on my Mac but I'd like to know if there is a way to do it manually. I assume these logs use some html markups??

Here is an example with a table of finds and some web links as well:

http://coord.info/GLGF7DKF

Thanks, Dave

Big answer: you use BBcode.

I don't actually understand why, but if you look at the HTML source code, you can see the exact BBcode they used to make that table. It's basically just putting the table between [code] and [/code] and then lining the columns up with spaces. Search for the GC codes in the table, and you can see how the seven lines are laid out, and if you look up BBcode, you should be able to work out the rest of it.

I don't actually understand why, but if you look at the HTML source code, you can see the exact BBcode they used to make that table.

Thanks dprovan, very helpful. Yes, from what I have read the BBcode is translated into HTML for browsers to render but maybe that happens in the browser itself. Anyway, I'll have a bit of a play with it, thanks!

Edited by NeverLostAu

I don't actually understand why, but if you look at the HTML source code, you can see the exact BBcode they used to make that table.

Thanks dprovan, very helpful. Yes, from what I have read the BBcode is translated into HTML for browsers to render but maybe that happens in the browser itself. Anyway, I'll have a bit of a play with it, thanks!

bbcode is is parsed and transformed into HTML on the server side.

Here's an online BBCODE to html converter with a WYSIWYG interface. http://onlinehtmltools.com/bbcode-html-convertor

I would like to add formatting to my found it logs, particularly for adding a list of qualifying finds for challenge caches.

I have noticed other people's very readable logs and I have asked them how it is done and they say that they have a macro in GSAK that does it. I do not use GSAK - I have it running on my Mac but I'd like to know if there is a way to do it manually. I assume these logs use some html markups??

Here is an example with a table of finds and some web links as well:

http://coord.info/GLGF7DKF

Thanks, Dave

I was curious about how to create a table on my logs too.. and now I see how this person did it. From what I can tell there isn't any code for a table here.. it's just using a monospaced font and the table is created by lining things up so they all fall into the correct character positions.

B)