50,000+ caches- how possible?

plucka99

During the summer you can easily find 16 hours of daylight and regardless doing a PT in the dark is not that hard.
Of course, for the desert numbers run trails, the tradeoff of getting more hours of daylight is that you have to deal with the brutal summer heat. A lot of the people I know who have done the ET Highway and Route 66 trails have done them during the cooler months to avoid the heat. A good LED headlamp will last several nights on a fresh set of batteries.

So, less than 2 months in the game and only your third post on this forum and you're calling other cachers sad and pathetic? Nice.

Might want to re read what I actually said, especially the part about IN MY OPINION I would find that sad and pathetic and yet wished those who wanted to do such trails good luck.

So IN YOUR OPINION cachers that do power trails are sad and pathetic, at least nice of you to wish us good luck.

One of the best experience I had with my kids was doing Route 66 including my son, one day before his 16th birth day driving a car for his first time ever on Route 66, pretty sad and pathetic huh?

Edited by Roman!

So, less than 2 months in the game and only your third post on this forum and you're calling other cachers sad and pathetic? Nice.

Might want to re read what I actually said, especially the part about IN MY OPINION I would find that sad and pathetic and yet wished those who wanted to do such trails good luck.

So IN YOUR OPINION cachers that do power trails are sad and pathetic, at least nice of you to wish us good luck.

One of the best experience I had with my kids was doing Route 66 including my son, one day before his 16th birth day driving a car for his first time ever on Route 66, pretty sad and pathetic huh?

In my opinion yes it is, goes against everything geocaching stands for, namely finding unique and interesting places, a 1000 identical caches along a desert road hardly qualifies as interesting. They are obviously created just to help people who are think big numbers of caches mean something. To me that is pointless, but like I said that's just my opinion, don't take it to heart.

[quote name='TahoeJoe' timestamp='1430428989' post='5500156'

]I'm not claiming to be an expert and again, I have nothing against how people play the game but the math does not work out to support 1000 a day (by the way I am a math teacher :rolleyes: ).

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway. cf3e6720-c6dd-440d-8205-96d63e35b5e9.jpg [/url] is a short summary of our excursion.

Thanks for the video, looks like you had a great time. Your video looks quite different from the one I was referring to in my previous posts. The caches along the E.T. Highway from your video look like they are placed exactly alike in a pile of rocks that would be easy to locate once you did a few. I was reading your post on the page the link took me to, you stated: “The ET Highway is a different kind of caching. Yes, we are signing (stamping) the logs but not in the traditional way. All of the ET caches except 0001 and 2000 are film canisters. In order to get through all 2400 caches in a somewhat timely manner (it took us 4 days), it is recommended by the cache owners that you have a cache with pre signed log ready and basically swap containers. You then sign that log en-route to the next cache and swap it. It is fast paced and a lot of fun. I know it's not the traditional way of caching and it's not for everyone, but that's how it is done on ET.” Two of my biggest obstacles for believing that many finds in a day were presented in your post. (Cache is easy to locate and fast way to log). It boggles the mind to think someone had the time to place 2400 caches. Power Trails don’t seem like my style but I live in a pretty desolate area with some Power Trails not to far away. I might give it a try for an hour or so to see what numbers I come up with. Who knows perhaps I might enjoy it. :rolleyes:

If you love the desert, being in the desert is quite interesting. Seems moun10bike and his fellow cachers had a great time. At least that is the impression I made from watching that video clip. Is it for everyone? Nope.

I live on the outskirts of the desert and love the beauty of the landscape. I have also come across some bizarre and sometimes scary things while geocaching.

Edited by TahoeJoe

Thanks for the video, looks like you had a great time. Your video looks quite different from the one I was referring to in my previous posts. The caches along the E.T. Highway from your video look like they are placed exactly alike in a pile of rocks that would be easy to locate once you did a few. I was reading your post on the page the link took me to, you stated: "The ET Highway is a different kind of caching. Yes, we are signing (stamping) the logs but not in the traditional way. All of the ET caches except 0001 and 2000 are film canisters. In order to get through all 2400 caches in a somewhat timely manner (it took us 4 days), it is recommended by the cache owners that you have a cache with pre signed log ready and basically swap containers. You then sign that log en-route to the next cache and swap it. It is fast paced and a lot of fun. I know it's not the traditional way of caching and it's not for everyone, but that's how it is done on ET." Two of my biggest obstacles for believing that many finds in a day were presented in your post. (Cache is easy to locate and fast way to log). It boggles the mind to think someone had the time to place 2400 caches. Power Trails don't seem like my style but I live in a pretty desolate area with some Power Trails not to far away. I might give it a try for an hour or so to see what numbers I come up with. Who knows perhaps I might enjoy it. :rolleyes:

For the record, that is not my post (or my video). It was uploaded by a friend who was part of our group, dsvaughn.

I was very resistant to joining the group on that outing, but eventually agreed to (it was tacked on to the end of our trip to Las Vegas for Geocoinfest). I expected that I would go crazy doing such repetitive tasks for such an extended time. It turned out that is not at all what it was like - it was instead a great 4-day adventure with friends involving great memories, conversations, and sights. Had I done it myself, I'm sure I would have quit after only a handful.

In my opinion yes it is, goes against everything geocaching stands for, namely finding unique and interesting places, a 1000 identical caches along a desert road hardly qualifies as interesting. They are obviously created just to help people who are think big numbers of caches mean something. To me that is pointless, but like I said that's just my opinion, don't take it to heart.

I think puzzle caches go against everything geocaching stands for, they promote sitting at home on your butt in front of the computer but I'd never call those that enjoy doing them sad and pathetic, but nice of you to judge people while having no clue what you're talking about and I'm not going to share with you what I do find sad and pathetic.

If you love the desert, being in the desert is quite interesting. Seems moun10bike and his fellow cachers had a great time. At least that is the impression I made from watching that video clip. Is it for everyone? Nope.

I live on the outskirts of the desert and love the beauty of the landscape. I have also come across some bizarre and sometimes scary things while geocaching.

I have a house in Yerington, NV. Over the years, a ton of power trails have sprung up all around the place. It is very easy to locate the caches, just a bit boring if doing it solo (in my opinion). Although, I did the 51 cache stars this last winter (solo) in Arizona and Nevada. Had a good time hiking to all of them, while listening to podcasts. I mainly leave any power caching out there until I can do it with friends...

Edited by Uncle Alaska

]I'm not claiming to be an expert and again, I have nothing against how people play the game but the math does not work out to support 1000 a day (by the way I am a math teacher :rolleyes: ).

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway. This video is a short summary of our excursion.

Anyone want to doubt a lackey or is it suddenly possible?

Doubt ... is an illness that comes from knowledge and leads to madness. :P

GUSTAVE FLAUBERT

I have a house in Yerington, NV. Over the years, a ton of power trails have sprung up all around the place. It is very easy to locate the caches, just a bit boring if doing it solo (in my opinion). Although, I did the 51 cache stars this last winter (solo) in Arizona and Nevada. Had a good time hiking to all of them, while listening to podcasts. I mainly leave any power caching out there until I can do it with friends...

I live in Minden, we’re practically neighbors. :lol:

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway. This video is a short summary of our excursion.

Anyone want to doubt a lackey or is it suddenly possible?

Doubt ... is an illness that comes from knowledge and leads to madness. :P

GUSTAVE FLAUBERT

Not on these forums, doubt usually comes from ignorance.

I live in Minden, we’re practically neighbors. :lol:

Yeah, I don't spend as much time there as I would like. I live and work in Fresno, CA. My Uncle and I bought some land and built a house in Yerington a number of years ago. You should go find my Wilson Canyon cache (GCC14A)...It gets lonely from time to time. As you have no doubt seen on the GC maps, there are a ton of power trails all around you to the East (centered around Yerington mainly).

Edited by Uncle Alaska

We're heading out Sunday to finish the heart of the Mojave cache run a about 450 caches we'll probably do a few more and also hit the Hauser geode fields maybe run up to Quartzite and check out some of the old desert rats that are still out there :lol:

We're heading out Sunday to finish the heart of the Mojave cache run a about 450 caches we'll probably do a few more and also hit the Hauser geode fields maybe run up to Quartzite and check out some of the old desert rats that are still out there :lol:

Look out for those Joshua trees!

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway.

is a short summary of our excursion.

Thanks for the video, looks like you had a great time. Your video looks quite different from the one I was referring to in my previous posts. The caches along the E.T. Highway from your video look like they are placed exactly alike in a pile of rocks that would be easy to locate once you did a few. I was reading your post on the page the link took me to, you stated: "The ET Highway is a different kind of caching. Yes, we are signing (stamping) the logs but not in the traditional way. All of the ET caches except 0001 and 2000 are film canisters. In order to get through all 2400 caches in a somewhat timely manner (it took us 4 days), it is recommended by the cache owners that you have a cache with pre signed log ready and basically swap containers. You then sign that log en-route to the next cache and swap it. It is fast paced and a lot of fun. I know it's not the traditional way of caching and it's not for everyone, but that's how it is done on ET." Two of my biggest obstacles for believing that many finds in a day were presented in your post. (Cache is easy to locate and fast way to log). It boggles the mind to think someone had the time to place 2400 caches. Power Trails don't seem like my style but I live in a pretty desolate area with some Power Trails not to far away. I might give it a try for an hour or so to see what numbers I come up with. Who knows perhaps I might enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Why do people feel they have to "sign" each cache? Who's going to be checking? If anything, why wouldn't a photo of each cache suffice? Then again, why wouldn't walking up to the cache eye-balling it and getting back in the car suffice? Then again why get out of the car. If you see the pile of georocks you've found the cache. I don't see why "signing" the cache matters, since not much else matters when it comes to the ET power trail.

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway.

is a short summary of our excursion.

Why do people feel they have to "sign" each cache? Who's going to be checking? If anything, why wouldn't a photo of each cache suffice? Then again, why wouldn't walking up to the cache eye-balling it and getting back in the car suffice? Then again why get out of the car. If you see the pile of georocks you've found the cache. I don't see why "signing" the cache matters, since not much else matters when it comes to the ET power trail.

Why do you worry so much about how others cache? Surely the absurdity of your suggestion is caused by some kind of angst.

I think puzzle caches go against everything geocaching stands for, they promote sitting at home on your butt in front of the computer but I'd never call those that enjoy doing them sad and pathetic, but nice of you to judge people while having no clue what you're talking about and I'm not going to share with you what I do find sad and pathetic.

What as opposed to sitting on your butt in car all day only getting out to walk 2m to sign another x 100th identical cache?

I'm not judging anyone at all, I am simply stating my opinion what "I" find to be a pointless activity, if you enjoy it good for you.

What as opposed to sitting on your butt in car all day only getting out to walk 2m to sign another x 100th identical cache?

I'm not judging anyone at all, I am simply stating my opinion what "I" find to be a pointless activity, if you enjoy it good for you.

Big difference between thinking something is pointless and going into a forum where many partake in the activity and publicly stating its sad and pathetic. FYI, I find your posts offensive.

Big difference between thinking something is pointless and going into a forum where many partake in the activity and publicly stating its sad and pathetic. FYI, I find your posts offensive.

Weird how you're taking this so personal, it's only my opinion on a particular style of caching, I'm not singling anybody out. If you find offence then feel free to ignore my posts.

Weird how you're taking this so personal, it's only my opinion on a particular style of caching, I'm not singling anybody out. If you find offence then feel free to ignore my posts.

You certainly could have been more diplomatic in stating your opinion, my friend. The way you worded it was sure to offend somebody. I suspect that you didn't intend to offend, but apparently you have. Might be time to back down a bit.

Who really cares how a person got 50000 plus cache finds. It's not a competition.

I'm probably not the best person to reply to this because I am not even sure of how many caches I have found, let alone know who bobcam, mondou2, or other people might be - I have no idea how many or what they have found. But this site shows people's numbers, many cachers make their stats public, and there are leaderboards - some of which will include you regardless of whether you want to be listed or have asked to be removed. So somebody must care about the results, and it might give rise to a certain curiosity,

Edited by geodarts

Why do people feel they have to "sign" each cache? Who's going to be checking?

Because:

When you find the cache, sign the logbook and return it to the cache. ...... Finally, visit the cache page to log your find and share your experience with others.

You might not realize it but your answer is just why some people have doubt about high find numbers.

That is true that 16.6 hours is less than and a day, but after so many hours depending on the time of year you would be caching in the dark which would make it even more difficult to maintain that rate.
People have been doing 24-hour numbers runs since before the existence of numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail.

There are enough caches on the ET Highway trail (2000, the last I checked) that a lot of teams break it up, doing several hundred a day for 3+ days, taking plenty of breaks, getting a good night sleep, etc.

And yes, the teams I've known who have done 24-hour runs on the ET Highway trail (or similar) have slowed down at night. And they've slowed down at some point during the day, when they've stopped to refuel, eat, etc. But they've maintained an average of 50-60 an hour during daylight, and sometimes they've maintained a much higher average for an hour or two during the day.

It isn't the way I would enjoy geocaching, but it isn't nearly as impossible as you (or others before you) have claimed.

They added 500 caches, it's up to 2500 now.

I am so sad a pathetic. I would LOVE to go there just to do that trail. Maybe those that say it's not about the numbers should have a button that deletes their find count. For EVER EVEr EVer Ever ever ver ver ver.

Seriously though how cool is that. Two years worth of finds for us ... in one wallop. Have that lol. Brilliant. Logging would be an utter horrific nightmare.

That is true that 16.6 hours is less than and a day, but after so many hours depending on the time of year you would be caching in the dark which would make it even more difficult to maintain that rate.
People have been doing 24-hour numbers runs since before the existence of numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail.

There are enough caches on the ET Highway trail (2000, the last I checked) that a lot of teams break it up, doing several hundred a day for 3+ days, taking plenty of breaks, getting a good night sleep, etc.

And yes, the teams I've known who have done 24-hour runs on the ET Highway trail (or similar) have slowed down at night. And they've slowed down at some point during the day, when they've stopped to refuel, eat, etc. But they've maintained an average of 50-60 an hour during daylight, and sometimes they've maintained a much higher average for an hour or two during the day.

It isn't the way I would enjoy geocaching, but it isn't nearly as impossible as you (or others before you) have claimed.

Because clearly 2000 wasn't enough?

I am so sad a pathetic. I would LOVE to go there just to do that trail. Maybe those that say it's not about the numbers should have a button that deletes their find count. For EVER EVEr EVer Ever ever ver ver ver.

Seriously though how cool is that. Two years worth of finds for us ... in one wallop. Have that lol. Brilliant. Logging would be an utter horrific nightmare.

I have been along the ET Highway twice. The first time we did around 150 repetitive caches, just because. . . It took me longer to log them than to find them, primarily because I do not cut and paste. That seemed about right. There were earthcaches, petroglyphs, and red rocks at the Valley of Fire. We wanted to talk to the folks at the Inn in Rachel and visit a virtual at a remnant of the Old Spanish Trail. Of course there was an obligatory stop at the infamous black mailbox - with a separate cache there to help mark the spot.

We saw people caching along the road the second time we were there, but did not make any of the repetitive stops. There were unique petroglyphs near Alamo, camo dudes, ghost towns, old cemeteries that recorded a certain history, sky watching, the lunar crater, trilobite fossils to find . . . And Pat at the Inn had some more stories.

I can see why people go there for the numbers and that type of experience. But if you go there just to do the trail, at least think about how you will be within a day trip of the virtual at the Toroweap Overlook. When I reach a point where I can no longer log any finds, I hope that my memory of that will remain. That is why I would not push a button to delete my finds (but hiding my finds or opting out of other people's lists would be a different matter).

I suppose that is also why I will never reach 50,000.

Edited by geodarts

I think people who do power trails should consider whether they are worth the time, but also the stop-n-go wear on their vehicle and the gas.

One might go so far as to question the ethics of using gasoline and generating emissions in search of power trails or FTFs. But if more cachers thought about their environmental impact like that then CITO attendance would be higher.

To get to 50000+ you have to do a lot of trails
I don't think so. There just aren't enough numbers run trails to get numbers like that.

And frankly, they aren't needed. If you average 100 caches a week (less than 15 caches a day), then after 10 years, you'll have 52k caches.

I agree with niraD. Cachers who have 50,000+ caches get there by caching a lot. Sure, a doing a trail of 1000 (or even 2400) helps. But there are few of these. One doesn't get to 50,000 finds by doing 50 powertrails of 1000.

This thread will likely get deeper and deeper into debating the value of large powertrails, but it is possible to get 50,000 caches without doing such trails. And doing such trails alone won't get you there.

Now, you do need to live in a place with a lot of caches (and/or travel a lot) to get large numbers.

I think people who do power trails should consider whether they are worth the time, but also the stop-n-go wear on their vehicle and the gas.

One might go so far as to question the ethics of using gasoline and generating emissions in search of power trails or FTFs. But if more cachers thought about their environmental impact like that then CITO attendance would be higher.

Firstly, most people will rent a car to do a PT.

Secondly doing a power trail is the most environmentally friendly way of caching if you look at impact/cache found.

Honestly, the only way it's even a consideration is if you are retired or just don't really have what people would consider a "real" job. The amount of free time and traveling it takes just to average a dozen or so per day is cost/time prohibitive to most people.

Part of me envies folks with that much free time to travel, but I also know that even if I had the time and money, I would never have the drive to keep going that long, day in and day out.

Honestly, the only way it's even a consideration is if you are retired or just don't really have what people would consider a "real" job. The amount of free time and traveling it takes just to average a dozen or so per day is cost/time prohibitive to most people.

Part of me envies folks with that much free time to travel, but I also know that even if I had the time and money, I would never have the drive to keep going that long, day in and day out.

I thought one of the top 10 finders actually has a full time job, just can't remember which one.

I would love to be able to travel more too but I couldn't keep up the pace either. I don't mind a couple long days on a PT a couple times a year but after that I'm good.

Edited by Roman!

I thought one of the top 10 finders actually has a full time job, just can't remember which one.

If so, he or she must be single...or their spouse doesn't mind them spending all their time away from home! Honestly, my wife gets annoyed some days when I make a detour on the way home from work to grab one or two!

If so, he or she must be single...or their spouse doesn't mind them spending all their time away from home! Honestly, my wife gets annoyed some days when I make a detour on the way home from work to grab one or two!

Or maybe she has her own hobby and prefers him away. :laughing:

Secondly doing a power trail is the most environmentally friendly way of caching if you look at impact/cache found.

Have you looked at a satellite view of where Alien Head caches are located lately? In area where there were no roads before the Alien Head caches (which are generally done as part of the ET trail) there are now several two track roads that follow a path between those caches, and that's for caches for which the CO specifically asked people not to drive to the caches. I don't know how you measure environment impact, but the creation of roads in places where they previously did not exist seems to me to be a pretty significant impact.

Ooooooo environmental impact talk. And this isn't meant to go anywhere. It's largly sweeping and ciceumstantial but just for giggles ... tin foil hats are available in the foyer ...

There was apparently a survey done in the light of our priminister elections which found (because of our union with Europe and their insistence that we buckle down to environmental issues and they don't bother ... fishing grounds and human rights stuff aside ... let's not even go there) that if, if the entire UK went back to the Stone Age for 10 years ... Camp fires and walked everywhere for 10 years ... Can't remember if it was America And China combined or just the states on its own ... could wipe out our efforts in a week lol. Now urban myth or maybe there is an article around but just brilliant. Totally brilliant.

So power trails and other fish to fry kinda springs to mind. I mean the subject matter is just sooooo big and has so many many layers it's almost impossible to contemplate.

What is a fact is that at every time the earth has flickered and waned and global warming has reared its ugly head because of the oceans going up by a tenth of a degree every 10 years - the graph that measures this is exactly the same graph - peak for peak - trough for trough - that is shown when you look at solar flare activity. I think it was NASA that published that if anyone wants to trawl for it.

Global warming and environmental issues generate income. A lot of it. Also a fact.

So when we don't have a geohound and we can travel - ET trail here we come. And the famous black mailbox .... so cool. Can't wait. Every 500 we will celebrate by lighting a pile of old tyres we find along the highway.

And now a new thing is cows. Cows need to be reduced because they fart too much apparently according to I think it was Swedish research. Lol. LMAO just priceless.

Oh and the ozone layer is on the mend as well. Which was nice.

Have you looked at a satellite view of where Alien Head caches are located lately? In area where there were no roads before the Alien Head caches (which are generally done as part of the ET trail) there are now several two track roads that follow a path between those caches, and that's for caches for which the CO specifically asked people not to drive to the caches. I don't know how you measure environment impact, but the creation of roads in places where they previously did not exist seems to me to be a pretty significant impact.

Alien head is not a power trail.

Unless numbers are important to you, it shouldn't matter how many or in what manner someone obtained them.

If numbers do matter to you, then perhaps it is not really sad and pathetic to do power trails as much as it is masking envy for something that seems outside one's reach.

I'm one of those people that don’t care about numbers but I still log every cache I visit as a courtesy to the cache owner and for a record of my experience. How true it would be a nightmare to log those caches both physically and online, that alone would probably discourage me. People sure get passionate about numbers. It’s like asking Mac or PC. My original response in this thread was doubt that you could log so many caches in a single day, not to bash players that play for numbers. Thanks to all of you that (respectfully) shared your experiences on the Power Trails. It’s still astonishing to me but seems doable with planning and optimal conditions. Perhaps it's the new 4-minute mile of geocaching. B)

Edited by TahoeJoe

The last time I read it the deal was take 200 presigned film pots with logs. Hit the trail and swap them out for the first 200. Meanwhile someone would be busily signing all the removed ones. And then you go again. Swap swap swap. Or you could it via a stamp. Logging for us would be hideous because we don't TFTC although we did do a trail that asked for just that. We complied out of courtesy but it was soooooo draining. I remember feeling so shattered for days just from that. It was much easier to log as normal. But we did what was asked. I'd never do it again. But apparently the same applies to the ET trail. I think you can multy log via gsak so I'd have to investigate that. I could handle that. I bet they open their email inbox with utter dread.

I think numbers reflect your experience generally as an initial idea of someone. Unconsciously. But as you get to know people you realise that ... sorry witness is a better word ... sometimes high rollers get lazy - throwdowns, repeat logs, challenges (please see my statistics for proof), bossiness, cut and paste "we are attending the area for a week while on holiday as part of our tour of the westcountry ...etc. With a snippet pertaining to cache with a "Specific detail for this cache: hard/nice tree/great view/ log damp/quick find/took a while etc ... I mean I get it. But to be honest as a Co I see TFTC so you may as well write TFTC I won't be offended. Its like "I am far too busy to do this any justice and I hate this bit but I am efficient at admin and I'm doing the minimum to avoid being labeled a TFTC scumbag". But to me it says "TFTC" but uses more space to do it lol.

I know TFTC is hated but if you're telling me your better than those poeple ... TFTC says to me your are logging a find. The template find tells me you're lazy and think I don't see that :D

Did 5 today. Had fun, 12 WP multi, 10 WP multi, Earthcache, 7Km Letterbox, 7 WP multi. 38 Km bicycle ride through mostly wooded hilly area. Beats a PT any day B) Saw 3 trads not to far of our route but didn't feel like stopping for them.

BTW, TFTC is for logging caches I forgot about 5 minutes after finding them (We avoid them now, saves us a short log). :ph34r:

Oh, OK. That's MUCH better now. Ingenious, dividing your carbon footprint by the number of caches you've found! Makes one feel very environmentally conscious!

dry.gif:lol:

That would be Bobcam, #2 as far as finds, #1 as far as finds per years caching (my own statistic). He works at a retail store only a couple of miles from my house, 40 hour weeks. Very laid back kind of guy. Not at all what you might expect.

Bobcam is single. Has been since before he started. If he hadn't been, he would be now.