50,000+ caches- how possible?

plucka99

Seriously how is it possible to find this many caches? I see people that AVERAGE 30+ caches a day for like a decade. I can't work out how that is physically possible. I'm only fairly new to geocaching but I've done a power trail finding 28 in on day, took me 4 hours and was pretty exhausted by the end of it. To consider someone averaging this amount every single day for 10+ years, I find it highly unlikely.

Also consider the fact that as you exhaust cache finds in your local area you have to travel further and further away each time only further puts doubt in my mind.

I live in large city and there's only about 3000 caches within 50km of my location. I realize other parts of the world may be more cache dense but still, there must soon come a point where you have to start travelling excessive distance to find new caches, and STILL average 30+ a day, I just can't see it.

Is there something I'm missing or can I regard these kind of stats highly dubious?

Is there something I'm missing or can I regard these kind of stats highly dubious?

What you're really missing is that there is no reason to scrutinize anyone else's stats. This is a game, but it is not a competition.

Maybe he aspires to be the world champion of caching! Why shatter a dream? Encourage him to quit his job and make caching his full-time obsession! :ph34r:

What you're really missing is that there is no reason to scrutinize anyone else's stats. This is a game, but it is not a competition.

Maybe he aspires to be the world champion of caching! Why shatter a dream? Encourage him to quit his job and make caching his full-time obsession! :ph34r:

Sorry pal, I am the undisputed world champion of geocaching. You just don't know how the scoring system works.

Seriously how is it possible to find this many caches?
A few numbers run trails (like the ET Highway trail) can net hundreds of finds a day each. Still, that's only a few thousand finds total. To get the kind of numbers you're talking about, you need to do a lot of geocaching beyond the numbers run trails.

I've found 28 caches in a day. Once. I couldn't do it over and over and over for weeks, for months, for years. I am not retired. I have other interests. I don't travel enough to produce a steady supply of new unfound caches. And I don't really like geocaching that way.

But there are people who are retired, who don't have many (any?) other interests besides geocaching, and who travel a lot. They can find 100+ caches a week (5200+ caches a year) consistently, month after month, year after year. They don't spend much time at each cache, just enough to sign/stamp the log and replace the container. Then they're moving again, finding more caches.

I've met people like this. I know people who have gone geocaching with them. They view geocaching rather differently from the way I view geocaching. But that doesn't mean they're necessarily armchair logging caches that they've never been to, or anything like that.

I have absolutely zero interest in finding such huge numbers, I couldn't think of anything more pointless than driving down a highway stopping every 160m to pickup a 100 caches, I was just curious how some people do it. To me it's all about discovering new locations and finding clever hides.

To me it's all about discovering new locations and finding clever hides.

And to those with 50,000+ finds, it's usually about finding as many caches as they can each time they go out. If they didn't enjoy it, they wouldn't have such a high find count. One way is not better or worse than another.

I have absolutely zero interest in finding such huge numbers, I couldn't think of anything more pointless than driving down a highway stopping every 160m to pickup a 100 caches, I was just curious how some people do it. To me it's all about discovering new locations and finding clever hides.

They do it by being a little obsessed:

bfbf088b-fad4-4519-a08d-eb1137dac2fa_l.jpg

Or perhaps a lot obsessed, since it has been awhile since that coin was made. It was a different time back then. And Alamogul had a different name. It would be hard for me to sustain that kind of caching - shortly after this coin came out, one of my friends dropped out of competitive caching because he got tired of waking up and figuring out where he was going to cache. Who knows, I might surpass my friend's numbers in a couple more years. But my motto is to keep the focus on locations and never trust anyone whose numbers are greater than mine.

It would also help to have an understanding family.

Edited by geodarts

Everyone's situation is different. Some have more time for caching then others. I know if I worked 5 min from home I would have burned threw the local caches quickly and the game would be almost over. However I work in about 100 mile radius all around my house in all different directions every day. It is easy to pick up a few caches every day. If someone had a different job they could possibly pick up 20 or 50 in a day. If I had been doing this for 10+ years and had more free time I could see 50,000 being possible. Not for me but for someone in a different situation.

I have found 100 in a day - and I think that was about my limit. I do believe more is possible, however 100 in a day felt like it took a lot of the fun out of the game already so I can't imagine enjoying doubling or tripling those numbers.

Most importantly, I do agree that so long as these high-numbers folks aren't actually doing anything to ruin the game for others, no need to pay them any mind.

It depends on how someone decides to spend their time.

I know some fairly high number cachers who are retired, and cache most every day, and often all day. And it can vary depending on the type of caches as well. If you take someone who caches full time and their motivation is to maximize their find count (and they have money to travel), they can keep up a fairly high daily average.

Someone who caches "full time" but is less numbers focused and does more longer/harder caches will have a smaller daily average; though still may be higher than the typical cacher.

Power trails. You can get 1000 in a day by hopping out of your car every tenth of a mile.

I don't think you're getting out of the car doing 1000 in one day. There's a driver and someone hanging out the window grabbing each cache and putting a stamp on the log. 1000 in one day is 1 cache every 86 seconds for 24 hours so better fill up before you start on this kind of streak.

We did 139 once, started at 10 in the morning and logged the last one at 19:17. We totaled about 60 Km by bycicle that day.

To get to 50000+ you have to do a lot of trails and while some find that to be fun, we don't. With all the different tools available these days it's getting easier to efficiently plan a cache day. When we started with our GPS12XL we had printouts for the caches we planned to do only to come home after just one multi, these days it's not unusual to do 20 caches in one day as close by caches can be pickup up doing a multi. Doing trads only the score goes up of course.

So possible? Sure. Fun? For some, not for us. The numbers are the result of caching but we won't go caching because of the numbers. YMMV

Unnecessary post.

The cool thing about humans is that we all have our own interests. If it's not affecting you then move along.

Unnecessary post.

I'll make it three unnecessary posts in a row. :laughing:

I don't think you're getting out of the car doing 1000 in one day. There's a driver and someone hanging out the window grabbing each cache and putting a stamp on the log.
The driver may not be getting out of the car, but someone on the team is getting out of the car. The caches in these numbers run trails are easy to find, but they haven't installed drive-up kiosks in the desert (yet). At the risk of sounding like a broken record, here's how it's done:

To get to 50000+ you have to do a lot of trails
I don't think so. There just aren't enough numbers run trails to get numbers like that.

And frankly, they aren't needed. If you average 100 caches a week (less than 15 caches a day), then after 10 years, you'll have 52k caches.

And if you do the ET Highway numbers run trail, then you can take a few months off and still maintain your average. And the Route 66 numbers run trail gives you another couple months worth. And the other trails will give you several more months worth. But eventually, you just have to go out and find a lot of caches, quickly and consistently.

Newbies always try to figure out the math. But it doesn't matter. I works. I had a cacher ask me how I did 100 in a day. That is easy. And we even drove 80 miles and attend an event (over 30min). It's all how you plan your day. Powertrails I repeated too many times. But will still say would go insane if they only just did powertrail all the time.

They do it by being a little obsessed:

bfbf088b-fad4-4519-a08d-eb1137dac2fa_l.jpg

Or perhaps a lot obsessed, since it has been awhile since that coin was made. It was a different time back then. And Alamogul had a different name. It would be hard for me to sustain that kind of caching - shortly after this coin came out, one of my friends dropped out of competitive caching because he got tired of waking up and figuring out where he was going to cache. Who knows, I might surpass my friend's numbers in a couple more years. But my motto is to keep the focus on locations and never trust anyone whose numbers are greater than mine.

It would also help to have an understanding family.

And retired and have the money.

Everyone has their ideal "pace" for finding caches. It could be 5 per year or 5,000 per year, depending on time, interests, lifestyle, etc.

Unnecessary post.

I'll make it three unnecessary posts in a row. :laughing:

Not really. Hidden within the "smart remark" is a direct answer to the key question in the opening post. The post asks whether ultra-high numbers are genuine and if so how are they accomplished. I answered that. The answer is very simply to make it your number one priority. Power trails help considerably, but you have to cache for hours day in and day out. We have a few such cachers near me. They do not have a full-time job (pretty much necessary to hit 50,000 finds), and they cache individually and with various friends almost every day. The example was given of an average of 15 finds per day. Do an annual trip, long day trips, take days off but bag 30 or 40 on other days, and after 10 years you're at 50,000.

Oh, and each time you clear out everything within 50 miles of home, move to a different area.

Edited by wmpastor
I don't think you're getting out of the car doing 1000 in one day. There's a driver and someone hanging out the window grabbing each cache and putting a stamp on the log.
The driver may not be getting out of the car, but someone on the team is getting out of the car. The caches in these numbers run trails are easy to find, but they haven't installed drive-up kiosks in the desert (yet). At the risk of sounding like a broken record, here's how it's done:

I don't think so. There just aren't enough numbers run trails to get numbers like that.

And frankly, they aren't needed. If you average 100 caches a week (less than 15 caches a day), then after 10 years, you'll have 52k caches.

And if you do the ET Highway numbers run trail, then you can take a few months off and still maintain your average. And the Route 66 numbers run trail gives you another couple months worth. And the other trails will give you several more months worth. But eventually, you just have to go out and find a lot of caches, quickly and consistently.

Thanks for the video, I guess that answers my original question. At first I found it quite funny then soon realized how sad and pathetic to be hopping in and out of a car 1000 times over a single day. That's just my opinion though, if people find that rewarding good luck to them.

A little add-on to the above. I checked on caches near me. 15,500 within 50 miles, and 20,000 within 60 miles.

But the "actual" numbers are much higher. Why? Turnover. Every month a number of caches are archived and new ones published. So over say, 5 years, I'd wager that there will easily be 10,000 new caches within 50 or 60 miles of my home coords.

I don't buy it. Watching the video, it took about one minute between caches. To get 1000 at that rate would take 16.6 hours without any breaks. I would also have to agree the math just doesn't work out. The video also looks staged to me as I don't see how you would walk up the exact bush and know the exact spot it's hidden in every time . There's no way you could maintain that pace for 1000 caches. I don't have anything against how people play the game, but 1000 a day seems impossible.

Edited by TahoeJoe

Thanks for the video, I guess that answers my original question. At first I found it quite funny then soon realized how sad and pathetic to be hopping in and out of a car 1000 times over a single day. That's just my opinion though, if people find that rewarding good luck to them.

It doesn't look enjoyable to me, but I could understand someone wanting to try it as a new and different experience. Kind of like bungee jumping.

I don't buy it. Watching the video, it took about one minute between caches. To get 1000 at that rate would take 16.6 hours without any breaks. I would also have to agree the math just doesn't work out. The video also looks staged to me as I don't see how you would walk up the exact bush and know the exact spot it's hidden in every time . There's no way you could maintain that pace for 1000 caches. I don't have anything against how people play the game, but 1000 a day seems impossible.

So you've never done a power trail, know nothing about how to do them yet you're an expert in determining what people that have done them and know how to do them are doing?

So, less than 2 months in the game and only your third post on this forum and you're calling other cachers sad and pathetic? Nice.

Edited by Roman!

So you've never done a power trail, know nothing about how to do them yet you're an expert in determining what people that have done them and know how to do them are doing?

I'm not claiming to be an expert and again, I have nothing against how people play the game but the math does not work out to support 1000 a day (by the way I am a math teacher :rolleyes: ).

Edited by TahoeJoe

I'm not claiming to be an expert and again, I have nothing against how people play the game but the math does not work out to support 1000 a day.

Really? Last I checked 16.6 hours was less than a day and add to the fact numerous people have done over 1000, so based on your zero experience how is it not possible?

Edited by Roman!

[quote name='TahoeJoe' timestamp='1430428989' post='5500156'

]I'm not claiming to be an expert and again, I have nothing against how people play the game but the math does not work out to support 1000 a day (by the way I am a math teacher :rolleyes: ).

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway. cf3e6720-c6dd-440d-8205-96d63e35b5e9.jpg [/url] is a short summary of our excursion.

I'm not claiming to be an expert and again, I have nothing against how people play the game but the math does not work out to support 1000 a day.

Really? Last I checked 16.6 hours was less than a day and add to the fact numerous people have done over 1000, so based on your zero experience how is it not possible?

That is true that 16.6 hours is less than and a day, but after so many hours depending on the time of year you would be caching in the dark which would make it even more difficult to maintain that rate.

That is true that 16.6 hours is less than and a day, but after so many hours depending on the time of year you would be caching in the dark which would make it even more difficult to maintain that rate.

During the summer you can easily find 16 hours of daylight and regardless doing a PT in the dark is not that hard.

]I'm not claiming to be an expert and again, I have nothing against how people play the game but the math does not work out to support 1000 a day (by the way I am a math teacher :rolleyes: ).

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway. cf3e6720-c6dd-440d-8205-96d63e35b5e9.jpg [/url] is a short summary of our excursion.

Nice picture of a motorcycle, didn't see a video :ph34r:

Regarding power trails. In my opinion it is all about having a good time as a group. They are kinda boring alone. But, with caching friends, a lot of fun with music blaring, jokes, stories...a fun experience.

Edited by Moun10Bike

1440 minutes in 24 hours, so that would be one every 1.44 minutes to reach 1000 finds in a day. I don't see how that is possible.

Both Route 66 and ET highway power trails are easy to do and maintaining 70-75/hour caches an hour is not that hard, I've done it.

In fact I was with my kids and did Route 66 and the extras, about 850 caches in 12 hours caching time over 2 days as we quit early day 1 to do other stuff.

Edited by Roman!

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway. This video is a short summary of our excursion.

Anyone want to doubt a lackey or is it suddenly possible?

It's quite doable. The group I was with took things easy (sleeping in, relaxing lunch stops, short detours for sight-seeing, etc.) and still made it to 877 caches on our biggest day on the E.T. Highway. This video is a short summary of our excursion.

Doubt a Lackey? I wouldn't dare, but that video ain't a video it's a picture of a bike :ph34r:

1440 minutes in 24 hours, so that would be one every 1.44 minutes to reach 1000 finds in a day. I don't see how that is possible.

Actually 1.44 minutes per cache is a pretty leisurely rate. Under a minute is more like it. Again, if you have not done it don't say it is not possible.

Doubt a Lackey? I wouldn't dare, but that video ain't a video it's a picture of a bike :ph34r:

Its a video now, he fixed the link, just click the link in his original post nit in my quote but do you really need a video when the lackey is telling you he did something?

Edited by Roman!

So it's official, three cache monte is an acceptable practice for doing power trails :laughing:

People have been doing 24-hour numbers runs since before the existence of numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail.

There are enough caches on the ET Highway trail (2000, the last I checked) that a lot of teams break it up, doing several hundred a day for 3+ days, taking plenty of breaks, getting a good night sleep, etc.

And yes, the teams I've known who have done 24-hour runs on the ET Highway trail (or similar) have slowed down at night. And they've slowed down at some point during the day, when they've stopped to refuel, eat, etc. But they've maintained an average of 50-60 an hour during daylight, and sometimes they've maintained a much higher average for an hour or two during the day.

It isn't the way I would enjoy geocaching, but it isn't nearly as impossible as you (or others before you) have claimed.

So, less than 2 months in the game and only your third post on this forum and you're calling other cachers sad and pathetic? Nice.

Might want to re read what I actually said, especially the part about IN MY OPINION I would find that sad and pathetic and yet wished those who wanted to do such trails good luck.

People have been doing 24-hour numbers runs since before the existence of numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail.

There are enough caches on the ET Highway trail (2000, the last I checked) that a lot of teams break it up, doing several hundred a day for 3+ days, taking plenty of breaks, getting a good night sleep, etc.

And yes, the teams I've known who have done 24-hour runs on the ET Highway trail (or similar) have slowed down at night. And they've slowed down at some point during the day, when they've stopped to refuel, eat, etc. But they've maintained an average of 50-60 an hour during daylight, and sometimes they've maintained a much higher average for an hour or two during the day.

It isn't the way I would enjoy geocaching, but it isn't nearly as impossible as you (or others before you) have claimed.

They added 500 caches, it's up to 2500 now.