NJ Locals Make it into Geocaching article in Bergen Record

lostinjersey

Perhaps 3-4 weeks ago I received an email from Elise Young, a writer at the Bergen Record. She had become familiar with geocaching months earlier and also felt it would make a good article.; She spoke to Jeremy and she asked,"who should I speak to from NJ?"

"Well there's Stayfloopy, Harrold, Brian Snat, BP and oh yea, that Weird NJ guy." I was sooo flattered. By this point she had already spoken to Brian and several others. She decided not to ask me the normal questions and she pretty much stuck to my hides, why I chose the spots I did and so forth.

and it amounted to 3 sentances and an obscure reference to a geocache I've hidden. icon_eek.gif oh well. It mostly focused on Brian since she went out with him, but why i am bothering to tell you the story.

The article doesn't appear at the Record's website, so I scanned in the article as best I could, including some really amusing posed shots of Brian poking under rocks in a failed bid to find two of BP's Preakness Mountain caches.

Posted Article

The article seemed very well balanced, with a brief explanation of how it all works, why it's fun, Brian's adventures, followed by the naysayers who don't like us & think we trash the environment. The only omission (IMHO) was lack of any reference to Marc. I could swear she mentioned him as one of the people to speak to, so to do an article about North Jersey geocachers and not mention Marc falls short I think. Compounding this is the fact that Floopy apparently never got back to her. or something. All I know is he isn't quoted either. Oh well.

Bonus points to anyone who can figure out which geocache I was talking about. It's made difficult because the quote is a partial quote, and it took me a minute to figure out what I was talking about. Hint: it an active cache.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

[This message was edited by Gwho on December 22, 2002 at 10:17 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

Bonus points to anyone who can figure out which geocache I was talking about. It's made difficult because the quote is a partial quote, and it took me a minute to figure out what I was talking about. Hint: it an active cache.

I know! It's that "Lads Buttons" or something. I haven't hit it.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Actually the photos weren't posed. Didn't need to. The guy must have taken 100 photos, no exaggeration.

I don't know what happened with Team Magster's photos. Was the photog's camera broken the day of their hunt, or did the editor decide that I'm way better looking than a dog?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm sorry, when I said "posed" I wasn't really sure if it was posed per se, as in "hold that angle, wait, wait, GOT IT!" as opposed to the photographer simply snapping away as you hunted around. It's just the angle of the camera and where you're sticking your head, it just didn't look like a completely natural shot.

How did the phorographer & Elise handle the hike?

William

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com