Driving directions argghh

The only time that I add driving directions is when there is a very good reason to approach from a specific direction. For example, I have a small series of caches on a track which can be accessed from both ends, but is much safer to do so from one end.

Otherwise, as I don't know which way a cacher is coming from, it would be difficult to provide driving directions.

I have not yet placed a cache which would benefit from using waypoints to indicate parking but hopefully one day.

Got Android? Check out Locus Map Pro, which is a caching app and map app rolled into one. It's pretty darn excellent at both jobs, though a bit complicated to learn all the features.

Tap on a cache's parking icon (if provided, or nearest street if not), Navigate To, choose car/bicycle/etc, and "Let's go!" You get spoken directions turn-by-turn, just like a car unit. On a trail even, if you happen to be walking. If you're a cyclist there's even a bike-router plugin that gives sane (ie safe) directions suitable for a bike rather than car.

I have no connection with the Locus folks, but I keep plugging their app because an app this good needs to be better known.

I have a hard time when geocaching finding driving directions to many caches. most don't show waypoints. any suggestions on how to incorporate with MAPS or Google Maps?

On each cache page, there is a link "Driving Directions", It's located under the grey box with the coordinates, in the same line of links as "print No Logs 5 Logs 10 Logs". Click that link to be taken to Google Maps with driving directions. I haven't looked too closely into that option, as we haven't needed it.

And it's been there for as long as I can remember.

We just use the geocaching.com map on the cache page. We've been on some "non-roads" and haven't had a problem yet. Not needed any extra maps or driving directions yet.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Most times I'll just make a brief note from the driving directions link on cache pages, others I'll just hit cache coords in the Nuvi, which often takes me to closest parking.

We leave parking coords for others on our cache pages when parking elsewhere will cause backtracking, or may present a dangerous avenue.

I have routable maps on my Garmin Oregon. When I need driving directions I just switch over to the driving profile (mode) then is acts like a NUVI. When I get to the parking area I switch back to the Geocaching profile (mode).

A bit off-topic, but there's a function you may not be aware of that could make that easier. I don't have my Oregon in front of me right now, so I'm just going from memory, but if you go into your routing settings there should be an option to change the routing mode to "Prompt" or something similar. When it's in this mode, when you hit "Go" to start navigating to a cache or waypoint, it will ask you how you want to route (direct, automobile, hiking, etc.). While you're navigating, you can go to the "Where To?" menu icon and there's an option to "Change routing activity".

This allows you to start navigating to a cache in automobile mode, then switch to direct mode when you get there, all without changing the entire profile.

I have routable maps on my Garmin Oregon. When I need driving directions I just switch over to the driving profile (mode) then is acts like a NUVI. When I get to the parking area I switch back to the Geocaching profile (mode).

Same here. But sometimes if the cache is too close to a freeway it wants you to pull over. You have to also use common sense and find the closest street to get to the location.

Same here. But sometimes if the cache is too close to a freeway it wants you to pull over. You have to also use common sense and find the closest street to get to the location.

Yeah. I've got a few in strange places, where if you follow the nüvi to the cache location you will not be at the right place. (Please do NOT stop in the tunnel!) That's why I put in a parking location far enough away, that will take you to a parking area.

Likewise, I've done caches in the NJ Meadowlands, where the nearest road is the NJ Turnpike. No! Do NOT park on the TPKE! You need to be in Laurel Hill County Park! Follow the parking location!

Q. How do I get to ...

A. Turn Left a mile before where the old fire station used to be!

Q. How do I get to ...

A. Get off at the last Huntington exit!

Q. How do I get to ...

A. Well! which way did you come!

Q. How do I get to ...

A. You can't get there from here!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

We use common sense, maps either in paper form or on the gps, and the routing function of our gps. On the Oregon it's very easy to set by changing the navigation type from direct to 'follow road'. It might only turn a bit awkward if the routable OSM file is broken and the location we want to go to is not routable. We noticed that first time on the Faroe Islands. As the rain at times was so heavy that it was impossible to see street signs we had a bit of a harder time. But it was a lot of fun.

That's where my Nuvi comes into play. If I'm on a road trip and want to hit specific caches along the route, I enter the coordinates and it works like a charm. Hasn't failed me yet.

That might work well for caches that are along a route (road) but perhaps not so well if you're looking for caches that aren't close to a road. Plugging a set of coordinates for cache that isn't near a road might take you to a spot along the road that is closest to the cache but not the best spot to access the cache. I"m actually a little sadden that there is a presumption that this game is about driving from cache to cache.

That's where my Nuvi comes into play. If I'm on a road trip and want to hit specific caches along the route, I enter the coordinates and it works like a charm. Hasn't failed me yet.

That might work well for caches that are along a route (road) but perhaps not so well if you're looking for caches that aren't close to a road. Plugging a set of coordinates for cache that isn't near a road might take you to a spot along the road that is closest to the cache but not the best spot to access the cache. I"m actually a little sadden that there is a presumption that this game is about driving from cache to cache.

Yes, that's true, but when I'm on a road trip,it's usually for virtual caches, D/T caches I need to get (only 1 to go to fill the grid!), or counties/Delorme sections I need to find. I see nothing wrong with driving from cache to cache for that purpose. Others that I want to get when I'm home can be anywhere, and then I only use my Oregon or Dakota, and don't worry about the route. What gets me there is the Jeep, bike or feet.

That might work well for caches that are along a route (road) but perhaps not so well if you're looking for caches that aren't close to a road. Plugging a set of coordinates for cache that isn't near a road might take you to a spot along the road that is closest to the cache but not the best spot to access the cache.

That is why I always appreciate it when the CO puts suggested parking coordinates, I can navigate to that point.

When they don't, I generally look at the maps/streetview to determine a possible place to park, create my own waypoint, then head to that.

We use common sense, maps either in paper form or on the gps, and the routing function of our gps. On the Oregon it's very easy to set by changing the navigation type from direct to 'follow road'. It might only turn a bit awkward if the routable OSM file is broken and the location we want to go to is not routable. We noticed that first time on the Faroe Islands. As the rain at times was so heavy that it was impossible to see street signs we had a bit of a harder time. But it was a lot of fun.

Except in the desert in Qatar where there are no roads... and I was recently following in your tracks (figuratively speaking) :D

Same but I have the routable on my 62