New Icon for solved Mystery Caches

mauszuhaus

Problem: In Geocache Maps and on the GPS Device it is not possible to differentiate between solved and unsolved mystery caches. They all look the same, showing the question mark icon. while doing some caches in a certain region with a higher number of downloaded cache-details it is somewhat difficult to know, if the coordinates used are corrected or not.

My suggestion for a better handling of mystery caches: As soon as the user changes the coordinates of a mystery cache (using the pen-icon in the header of the cache description) the icon changes (maybe to another colour or to an exclamation mark or any other), either automatically or - if that is easier or more appreciated - by ticking a box "change the icon" (or something similar).

Thank you in advance and best regards

Mareike from mauszuhaus

This exactly why I use GSAK. Not only can I keep all the info on how I solved a mystery, I can correct the coordinates and GSAK will then add an extra icon in the "has corrected coordinates" column. When exporting (garminexport macro) to my GPS (Oregon 600) the mysteries with corrected coordinates have a slightly different icon so it's clear when a mystery is solved or not.

I look at caches on the map in GSAK too so the solved mysteries are shown on their corrected coordinates (with a traffic cone icon shown on the original bogus).

I could never filter or work with the gc website as I can in GSAK. On the road, using GDAK, I can use the GSAK database and see the solved mysteries on their right location either.

I guess showing the corrected coordinates on the GC map would put yet more strain on the databases as it needs to know if the the user looking at the map has to see original or corrected coordinates.

[...] When exporting (garminexport macro) to my GPS (Oregon 600) the mysteries with corrected coordinates have a slightly different icon so it's clear when a mystery is solved or not. [...]

Looks like this:

1755.jpg

The green sockets mean: this cache is part of a planned tour. The film canister icon should be self explained.

Hans

Thank you for your comments so far.

But even if GSAK already provides this service by now, I think there are many cachers that do not use GSAK as it needs to dive in that software product. and this seems not to be that easy ;).

With my suggestion every user on geocaching.com could benefit without using an additional tool.

Would be nice if anyone from Groundspeak checks and replys :).

Edited by mauszuhaus

[...] With my suggestion every user on geocaching.com could benefit without using an additional tool.[...]

No, it wouldn't help with the GPSr as they didn't know anything about additional icons.

Hans

Edited by HHL

FWIW, the new search function lets me choose to view only caches with corrected coordinates, or only mystery/puzzle caches with corrected coordinates.

Does that help?

Now only if we could create a pocket query from those results. Once GS implements all the filters on the map, solved mystery caches could be viewed simply by togging a pocket query on/off, and it would work just as well with the official GS mobile app. A separate icon would be nice but not necessary

FWIW, the new search function lets me choose to view only caches with corrected coordinates, or only mystery/puzzle caches with corrected coordinates.

Does that help?

It's a start, but it doesn't serve the key purpose of showing all the caches in an area that I can go out and find. You can't search for "All caches, except for mystery caches that don't have corrected coords", as far as I can tell.

Geosphere handles this reasonably well, FWIW. Caches with corrected coords show up with a distinguishing icon in their corrected location. I tend to ignore purple pins without the "corrected coords" icon (unless I'm looking for puzzles to solve, of course!) -- it would be great to see the geocaching.com maps implement something like this.

Geosphere handles this reasonably well, FWIW. Caches with corrected coords show up with a distinguishing icon in their corrected location. I tend to ignore purple pins without the "corrected coords" icon (unless I'm looking for puzzles to solve that aren't challenge caches, of course!) -- it would be great to see the geocaching.com maps implement something like this.

:)

except that those can't directly be filtered out (yet?). But that's a different discussion.

Ah! A new icon! Would be great for a challenge cache (if they ever come back...)

"Must have One Hundred Solved but Not Found Icons to log this cache."

I think that would run afoul of the guidelines against challenges based on "non-accomplishments" (not finding caches you've solved) or that require you "to 'give up' finding other geocaches" (finding solved puzzles could disqualify you from the challenge).

Ah! A new icon! Would be great for a challenge cache (if they ever come back...)

Not hard to do, just pick any mystery cache geoart and you can solve 100 in a hour.

Just wondering, your signature: Some people are like slinkies. Not much good for anything but bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs!

Shouldn't it be push them down the stairs? If the slinky is already downstairs and you push it then it really has nowhere to go, similarly for some people.

This exactly why I use GSAK. Not only can I keep all the info on how I solved a mystery, I can correct the coordinates and GSAK will then add an extra icon in the "has corrected coordinates" column. When exporting (garminexport macro) to my GPS (Oregon 600) the mysteries with corrected coordinates have a slightly different icon so it's clear when a mystery is solved or not.

I look at caches on the map in GSAK too so the solved mysteries are shown on their corrected coordinates (with a traffic cone icon shown on the original bogus).

I could never filter or work with the gc website as I can in GSAK. On the road, using GDAK, I can use the GSAK database and see the solved mysteries on their right location either.

I guess showing the corrected coordinates on the GC map would put yet more strain on the databases as it needs to know if the the user looking at the map has to see original or corrected coordinates.

Thanks for that I hadn't updated that macro in some time and now I get those cute symbols. I was using a mtag macro to change the name which is so handy in the list view.

Probably wouldn't be approved since no method of proof. I could just take a hundred unknown caches and put in the original coords.

Just wondering, your signature: Some people are like slinkies. Not much good for anything but bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs!

Shouldn't it be push them down the stairs? If the slinky is already downstairs and you push it then it really has nowhere to go, similarly for some people.

What good is just pushing them? Upstairs or downstairs? A slinky needs to be started, moreso than pushed. It'll just slide if you push it. And downstairs? Then again, maybe if there are more stairs downstairs and you were to push it over the edge, then pushing a slinky down the stairs downstairs might actually produce something worthwhile.

Edited by thebruce0

Actually, my favorite way to play with a slinky is to just slink-slink-slink it back and forth between my hands, rather than pushing it downstairs or down stairs. Not that that has anything to do with a new icon for solved mystery/puzzle caches...

Geosphere handles this reasonably well, FWIW. Caches with corrected coords show up with a distinguishing icon in their corrected location. I tend to ignore purple pins without the "corrected coords" icon (unless I'm looking for puzzles to solve that aren't challenge caches, of course!) -- it would be great to see the geocaching.com maps implement something like this.

except that those can't directly be filtered out (yet?). But that's a different discussion.

Not sure what you're getting at here. True, challenges (unfortunately) can't be filtered in or out at the moment, but that doesn't make a whole lot of difference here.

If you mean that I can't distinguish a challenge (at published coords) from an unsolved -- there's a trick :) You can "correct" coords to the same as published, which gives them the "corrected" overlay without moving the pin. :D

Not sure what you're getting at here. True, challenges (unfortunately) can't be filtered in or out at the moment, but that doesn't make a whole lot of difference here.

If you mean that I can't distinguish a challenge (at published coords) from an unsolved -- there's a trick :) You can "correct" coords to the same as published, which gives them the "corrected" overlay without moving the pin. :D

True. But the point is it's an 'extra hoop' to distinguish them. And it's not logically consistent. A challenge cache at posted coordinates shouldn't need corrected coordinates, which are identical, in order to identify it. :P

Not that I care... I have challenges in their own bookmark list, and most of them I have highlighted with a personal note. I just don't go for 'blue pins' unless it's corrected (and I've checked that it's solved, not just a temporary edit), or it's highlighted. Really, if it's not highlighted or corrected then there's either nothing at the coordinates or it's a challenge I haven't marked as worth finding (yet) :)

But back to my original comment - the "different discussion" is related to those who dislike challenge caches and can't filter them out of their searches (a side effect of being indistinguishable from unsolved puzzles, aside from the 'challenge' in the title which is not definitive)

Edited by thebruce0

I think this is a great idea. Exported GPX files use updated coordinates where they exist, but it would be nice to have a separate icon confirming this.

I get around it by excluding puzzles from my general purpose GPX exports, and using Project-GC to give me my solved puzzles. Of course, this doesn't help for online (smartphone) users.

I think this is a great idea. Exported GPX files use updated coordinates where they exist, but it would be nice to have a separate icon confirming this.

I get around it by excluding puzzles from my general purpose GPX exports, and using Project-GC to give me my solved puzzles. Of course, this doesn't help for online (smartphone) users.

Yes they do have corrected coordinates but there is no indicator in the gpx that says they are so there is no way to tell the device to display a different icon. The best way is something life gsak that can change the name so you can tell in the field and it week add the little yellow triangle to show it.