Groundspeak Lackeys = Active Cachers?

JL_HSTRE

(Been on these forums awhile and I don't recall seeing this come up before although it seems like it would have; maybe my search fu is just failing me.)

The subject of Lackeys came up recently in conversation with an active long-time cacher. I have never met one myself.

I know nearly all Reviewers remain active geocachers, albeit usually under a separate player account from their Reviewer account. What about Lackeys - the Groundspeak employees? Are most of them active geocachers, either before they are hired or once they start working for Groundspeak? (And I don't mean just showing up at Mega Events.)

I know some of them make appearances on the forums so it would be good if some of them can chime in.

Edited by Joshism

The answer is: it's a mixture.

You have Jeremy and Bryan (owners), who both cache. They're not high number cachers, but they're steady.

Some people who have been hired over the years are already cachers, and some become cachers after they start working for Groundspeak. Some are more active than others, of course.

Groundspeak makes it really easy for lackeys to geocache, and encourages them to do so. A year or two ago there was an in-house competition to see which lackey got the most finds.

I own four caches in the Seattle area, and visit quite often (I'm a few hours away). A lot of lackeys have found my caches, and whenever I'm looking at caches nearby that I'm thinking about finding, I see lackey visits in the logs. They do a lot of group caching together. The pictures that they post in their logs, and on facebook, are great to see. They always seem to be having a lot of fun.

The find counts for Lackeys range from 6 to 14484, with an average of 933, a median of 222, and a standard deviation of 2714. As you can tell from these statistics, the values are spread out over a wide range.

Is the Lackey with only 6 finds nicknamed "Slackey"?! :anibad:

Ha, funniest thing I ever heard from you.

Heard he always calls in sick and he's the one working on creating the challenge cache icon.

Too me it wouldn't make sense not do some caching, if your job is to create programs for caching or socialize with other cachers, it would be nice if they experienced it themselves so you can relate with what we as cachers do.

It should be a requirement to meet the requirements of at least one of my challenge caches before being hired by GS.

The find counts for Lackeys range from 6 to 14484, with an average of 933, a median of 222, and a standard deviation of 2714. As you can tell from these statistics, the values are spread out over a wide range.

Is the Lackey with only 6 finds nicknamed "Slackey"?! :anibad:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Too me it wouldn't make sense not do some caching, if your job is to create programs for caching or socialize with other cachers, it would be nice if they experienced it themselves so you can relate with what we as cachers do.

It should be a requirement to meet the requirements of at least one of my challenge caches before being hired by GS.

Nah, then there would need to be a one year moratorium on new lackey job posts. :laughing: