Signal Dropouts

Davros

Has anyone in the mid atlantic area noticed dropouts since the war began?

I have been noticing that I get a great lock. Then everything drops. No signals at all. Then they come back again full strap just as the were. All this while standing still. I'm wondering if it's because they are either jamming or dropping the signals to prevent any nasty's.. Or if it's truely time to send my Vista out to the farm. It may have found a few to many caches.. icon_frown.gif I am also getting signals from birds I never noticed before. It seems all 12 channels will appear. Usually no more then 7 birds at once but some seem to appear and disapear at random. When I have signal..

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

MicroLogo.jpg

www.mdgps.net

quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

Has anyone in the mid atlantic area noticed dropouts since the war began?

Nope.

quote:

Or if it's truely time to send my Vista out to the farm. It may have found a few to many caches.. icon_frown.gif

Nah, your Vista is barely broken in. icon_wink.gif

quote:

I am also getting signals from birds I never noticed before. It seems all 12 channels will appear. Usually no more then 7 birds at once but some seem to appear and disapear at random. When I have signal..

Actually, I did notice something like this yesterday ... I also find it unusual to have the entire satellite screen "lit up," but I assumed it was because of a happy coincidence between good satellite position and the open area I was in. When so many satellites are available, I would expect some of them to pop-in-and-out because they are probably near the horizon.

Davros, I have notice funny things with my Legend.

I'm experiencing similar symptoms as you, but I'm not getting WAAS information. Garmin's FAQ suggest that I literally point the GPS at Satellite #35. The only problem, is I'm not even receiving Satellite #35. I am receiving a #33, which has been hanging constantly in the SE sky so I'm wondering if that is the new WAAS sat.

Up until yesterday, I never really took notice of what Satellites where visible, but I would get anywhere between 7 and 12, (closer to 12) satellites consistently.

Yesterday I was caching, right after finding it I set my Sporttrak down to let it average and check the coordinates, when I looked again in a few minutes it said I was 9 miles away, you should see the map, it bounced twice to points saying 8 to 9 miles away. My first thought, cool, I discoved how to teleport myself! icon_cool.gif

I cleared up some then but I decided to pack it in for the day.

Actually, the first time I heard/saw of the problem was at the get together on March 15th at Burke Lake Park. I think it was Da Rebel mentioned he lost ALL sats comming to the meeting. When he told me that, I turned on my GPS was only getting 3 birds, one of which was very, very weak.

The rest of the day seemed to go OK with maybe some querks here and there, but I chalked it up to walking under tree cover.

I did a couple of caches about a week ago in the rain. Everything seemed to be going OK and then the GPS lost signal. It came back. I had already found the cache, but I needed to find the car next. I followed more of my compass than I did the GPS. I was in sight of my car and the GPS told me that the car was in the opposite direction! I didn't have any tree cover at this time. I thought maybe it was low batteries. Got to the car and plugged it into 12v. It still told me that the car was off in another direction?

The short answer to the post is, YES, I have seen dropouts and erroneous readings lately.

Gary

I have had similar problems on my last two or three outings. I would have a great signal one second and the next I had nothing. I dunno what the deal is, I thought I was just going crazy.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

Yesterday when I attempted a cache I fired up my magellan and it only saw one sat with no strength. Re initialized on trail and the it worked flawlessly. I too have been seeing that egnos sat here in NJ. Doesnt seem to affect acuracy. No waas at the time of my anomoly.

No problems yet.

I did see a story on Fox News this week that the military's gps system is overloaded right now because of the war and that they had to commandeer some commercial satellites to handle the demand. I don't know if this would effect our gps signals over here, but I am willing to put up with some glitches if it helps our troops over there.

Njski...