Question about a Challenge

jellis

We came across a challenge that is less then a year old. One of the rules on the cache page says you can not use archived caches. Is that allowed? I tried to contact a reviewer but they maybe busy since I haven't heard anything yet. Was hoping someone knows anything about this.

We came across a challenge that is less then a year old. One of the rules on the cache page says you can not use archived caches. Is that allowed? I tried to contact a reviewer but they maybe busy since I haven't heard anything yet. Was hoping someone knows anything about this.

Why wouldn't that be allowed? It is a challenge cache. Owner must have made that a requirement to up the difficulty.

I don't think it would be. You, as a finder don't get to choose to archive the cache. What if I go for the cache a day for a year challenge and log it, only to have my log deleted because 16 of those cache got archived after I found them. Or the same for filling in the D/T grid.

I could understand that you can't log caches that are already archived, but caches that get archived after you find them? I'd have some not so nice words.,,,

Perhaps they were confusing this restriction in the Help Center article:

Challenge caches must not require geocachers to log geocaches that are disabled or archived.

If you have a find from 10+ years ago and the Listing is now Archived (not an unreasonable assumption), seems a bit in conflict with the following guidance to not allow it:

Challenge caches cannot include restrictions based on 'date found'; geocaches found before the challenge geocache publication date can count towards the achievement of the challenge.

Seems like that says that previous Finds are allowed to me, regardless of whether the Listing is currently active or not.

Did you check with the CO if that is what they meant?

Edited by Touchstone

Perhaps they were confusing this restriction in the Help Center article:

Challenge caches must not require geocachers to log geocaches that are disabled or archived.

If you have a find from 10+ years ago and the Listing is now Archived (not an unreasonable assumption), seems a bit in conflict with the following guidance to not allow it:

Challenge caches cannot include restrictions based on 'date found'; geocaches found before the challenge geocache publication date can count towards the achievement of the challenge.

Seems like that says that previous Finds are allowed to me, regardless of whether the Listing is currently active or not.

Did you check with the CO if that is what they meant?

GC5FKV6

2) Archived caches *do not count* (I lost a few myself in coming up with my list, so I'm sure it's possible without old finds). Keep this in mind if you post a list long before you find this cache.

If it was me, I would ask the Reviewer.

http://coord.info/GC5FKV6

Helpful clarifications:

1) Disabled caches do count toward your total.

2) Archived caches *do not count* (I lost a few myself in coming up with my list, so I'm sure it's possible without old finds). Keep this in mind if you post a list long before you find this cache.

3) Owned caches do count toward your total (hrc333 rule).

4) Once you've logged this cache, you've logged it. You will not lose your eligibility should some of your found caches be archived.

5) You are welcome to log it multiple times if you reach 50/50 again using *an entirely different set of finds*.

6) This cache will not count toward your 50/50.

B.

Here is a rule on that challenge page that I found odd:

5) You are welcome to log it multiple times if you reach 50/50 again using *an entirely different set of finds*.

I thought allowing multiple logging on a cache page description was ended way back when moving caches were disallowed.

Here is a rule on that challenge page that I found odd:

I thought allowing multiple logging on a cache page description was ended way back when moving caches were disallowed.

I know of some that still say that. I wouldn't do them more then once

You will not lose your eligibility should some of your found caches be archived.

Color me confused :unsure:

I guess you have to be a mind reader in order to log a Find on that particular Challenge.

Rule 4 means caches archived after you sign the container log and post online will not disqualify you.

If it was me, I would ask the Reviewer.

I think that will only help extend the moratorium even further, but maybe that was the intention.

I would ask the CO first. They wrote it up. No response from the CO? Problem solved :anibad:

We're assuming that the cache page in its current incarnation is what the Reviewer saw before publishing it. Who knows if it is or not.

Encouraging people to log the same cache multiple times? Disabled caches count but archived ones don't? Caches you own count?

I have no interest in seeing Challenge Caches be discontinued, but this one is whacked.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You will not lose your eligibility should some of your found caches be archived.

Color me confused :unsure:

I guess you have to be a mind reader in order to log a Find on that particular Challenge.

Rule 4 means caches archived after you sign the container log and post online will not disqualify you.

So if I'm understanding it correctly, Finds on Listings that were Archived BEFORE you found it, will not count. Finds on Listings that were Archived AFTER you found it still count. Kind of makes sense. Boy this is complicated. Not surprising that I avoid most Challenges.

Got an answer from the CO.

I don't know whether it's technically allowed or not; it didn't seem to be prohibited but I could well be wrong.

If you've got a reasonable list including some archived caches, it's not like I'm going to delete your log.

Got an answer from the CO.

"I don't know whether it's technically allowed or not; it didn't seem to be prohibited but I could well be wrong.

If you've got a reasonable list including some archived caches, it's not like I'm going to delete your log."

Maybe your contact will help them refine the rule a bit. They might not have thought it through when submitting the listing.

Both CO were there today and you could have asked them? It seems very possible to do with the current caches on the island. We are only at 41 but there are many there to make qualifying possible. If the way in wasn't so crowded after the cito we would have gone in and probably qualified. I think they are just encouraging everyone to go find the caches that are currently there. Good to see you again today. With so many people around it can be hard to get one on one time with everyone. Glad YamJerkey picked up the sleeping bag or I was going to do it! :)

Both CO were there today and you could have asked them? It seems very possible to do with the current caches on the island. We are only at 41 but there are many there to make qualifying possible. If the way in wasn't so crowded after the cito we would have gone in and probably qualified. I think they are just encouraging everyone to go find the caches that are currently there. Good to see you again today. With so many people around it can be hard to get one on one time with everyone. Glad YamJerkey picked up the sleeping bag or I was going to do it! :)

Yes but before I found out about the archived caches he disappeared. Yes I got the 2 sheets and pillow. Was amazed they were so clean, not any dirt on them.