How do you get rid of the cache names in Basecamp?

Bloody nuisance. I know some will hate to hear it, but it's another case where GSAK makes life better. During export, the "Name" field is filled in by the GC code, minus the GC (known as %drop2), and so the code (e.g., 5Y34T) all I see on my Basecamp (or Mapsource) maps, rather than the full cache name. The name and other info is still available when selecting the cache and checking its details, but the map display is a WHOLE lot cleaner.

This also drives me 'nuts'.

I have the latest BaseCamp.

When I select an individual cache and right click, I get the 'Open' option.

However when I select multiple caches and right click, the 'Open' option is not there, unlike as suggested by a previous reply.

Also I noticed in the 'Edit' dropdown menu the 'Adavanced' option is always greyed out, I wondered if this has anything to do with it.

Hi,

Advanced—use advanced editing options for routes or tracks. (not waypoints or geocaches)

Geocache marks are different to Waypoint marks in that Waypoints can be mass edited whereas Geocaches have to be individually edited. I think the reason is that there are other special editing and link properties given to Geocache marks.

The way to overcome this is to get the Geocache marks into BaseCamp as ordinary Waypoints but you would lose the special properties of the Geocache mark.

Regards

Bernard

I am using Basecamp on my mac and gan't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the names of each cache next to each icon. The names take up so much space on the screen I can't see the map. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

I have the same problem. If you expand out enough, they disappear, but that's not very helpful. We need a setting that turns them all on or off.

I am using Basecamp on my mac and gan't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the names of each cache next to each icon. The names take up so much space on the screen I can't see the map. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

I use a Garmin Oregon 450 G.P.S. My daughter Bought it for me in Halifax abut 5 years ago. I am just beginning to understand it

I plug it into my computer and click (computer)I then click on Garmin and then the GPX file. I can delete all the unwanted caches through their GC code

It Has worked very well in removing Caches that I have logged as found and any others that I no Longer want on my G.P.S. --"RAKSOTA"

Using BaseCamp 4.4.6 on iMac 10.10.2

Select the folder that contains your caches (from the "On My Computer" section of the left side panel)

Select multiple caches in the list below the folder list -- select ONLY caches (no other waypoints)

Right-Click and Select "Show Symbol on Map" from the context menu.

Using BaseCamp 4.4.6 on iMac 10.10.2

Select the folder that contains your caches (from the "On My Computer" section of the left side panel)

Select multiple caches in the list below the folder list -- select ONLY caches (no other waypoints)

Right-Click and Select "Show Symbol on Map" from the context menu.

Doesn't work. I only get "show on map" option. No mention of the symbol.

I use a Garmin Oregon 450 G.P.S. My daughter Bought it for me in Halifax abut 5 years ago. I am just beginning to understand it

I plug it into my computer and click (computer)I then click on Garmin and then the GPX file. I can delete all the unwanted caches through their GC code

It Has worked very well in removing Caches that I have logged as found and any others that I no Longer want on my G.P.S. --"RAKSOTA"

We're not talking about removing the actual caches, but the cache names displayed on the map. We want to see only the symbols.

Doesn't work. I only get "show on map" option. No mention of the symbol.

The "Show on Map" is in the top half of the popup menu.

In the bottom half, there are three additional options (along with some other options):

Show Symbol and Name on Map

Show Symbol and Id on Map

Show Symbol on Map

I came across this same issue a month or so ago and found these options. I don't remember if I had to update BaseCamp or not, so check your version.

Also, try right-clicking on a single cache and see if it is in the popup menu. When you select multiple entries and right-click, the option will not be present if there is something else selected as well - such as a route, or a track. Even selecting a waypoint and a geocache will prevent the menu from showing these options (I think) - eventhough the same options appear for a waypoint.

In the bottom half, there are three additional options (along with some other options):

Show Symbol and Name on Map

Show Symbol and Id on Map

Show Symbol on Map

I don't get those options, just "show on map." I can hide the name if I click a single cache, but not more than one at once. I'm using Basecamp 4.4.7.

1. Select the geocahes you want to change the display on, shift click to select multiples
  2. hold the Control key and click the mouse
  3. Select Show Symbol on Map from the popup menu
  4. Done, mystery solved.

Looks like this:

1432937511.jpg

Edited by coggins

Rather than nuking everything, I much prefer to see just GC codes. That's not do-able natively with either Basecamp or Mapsource AFAIK. That's why the waypoint name gets translated to "%drop2" here in GSAK. If I want to know the actual name, I can always bring up the properties for any of them on the map. It's a lot easier to manage "34RVQ" on the map than it is "November 26th ~Shopping Reminder Day".

1. Select the geocahes you want to change the display on, shift click to select multiples
  2. hold the Control key and click the mouse
  3. Select Show Symbol on Map from the popup menu
  4. Done, mystery solved.

Nope, didn't work. There is still no option to just show the symbol.

Edited by Path Pacer

Rather than nuking everything, I much prefer to see just GC codes. That's not do-able natively with either Basecamp or Mapsource AFAIK. That's why the waypoint name gets translated to "%drop2" here in GSAK. If I want to know the actual name, I can always bring up the properties for any of them on the map. It's a lot easier to manage "34RVQ" on the map than it is "November 26th ~Shopping Reminder Day".

That is accomplished in BaseCamp for Macintosh by selecting the third option "Show Symbol & Id on Map" as shown in the image I posted above.

Edited by coggins

You guys must all be using the newer version of Basecamp. What's left for users of older Windows boxes doesn't seem to have all of the same functionality.

After selecting some number (besides 1) of caches with select/shift-select method, the only options provided to act upon the selected list are

Open

Show on map

Sort by

Send to

Cut

Copy

Duplicate

Delete

Start a new trip from here

Start a new trip to here

Create route using selected waypoints

Create Birdseye imagery from selection

It is possible to change the "Display" property, but only by selecting individual points on the map. There, you can change symbol type, and which, if any, text is displayed with the symbol.

You guys must all be using the newer version of Basecamp. What's left for users of older Windows boxes doesn't seem to have all of the same functionality.

Those instruction are for BaseCamp for Mac to answer the OP:

You should know that the Windows version can't do this. :rolleyes: