How big...or How small...

Polgara

I consider any container smaller than the size of a standard brick to be a micro cache.

Looking at it another way, if a new, unsharpened pencil can't fit easily into the cache, it's a micro.

(As has been discussed previously, it really would be helpful if there was a "mini" cache designation between "micro" and "regular.")

I've only found one "large" cache, and to my amusement it contained less than some micros!

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on January 26, 2003 at 04:10 AM.]

The official definition is 35mm film cannister, Altoids tin or similar container. I think it should include larger containers, but I don't know if I'd go as far as bassoonpilot with the "anything smaller than a brick rule".

The sized guidelines on the website are flawed. Regular, by definition, is any cache between a film cannister and a 5 gallon bucket. A pretty wide category! Either there should be a "mini" category, or better yet change the large definition. It's rare to find a container that is a gallon or larger. I think anything bigger than a gallon should be "large".

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I am really new to this and just kinda wondering something.

Just what in the heck does a 35mm film canister have to offer in a cache container? I thought that caches had to contain a log book. Now what in the world is going to fit in a 35mm that could be used as a log book? icon_confused.gif

And no dumb southern cracks from you Brian. LOL.

The Important Things Are Always Simple and The Simple Things Are Always Hard.

quote:
ust what in the heck does a 35mm film canister have to offer in a cache container? I thought that caches had to contain a log book

I've seen caches like Klaus mentioned, with code numbers, or in one case with an amount of change that you have to count and send the amount to the owner. But most micros do have logs. Usually strips of paper rolled up and stapled together.

Some even have trade items as well. Real small stuff obviously.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The official definition is 35mm film cannister, Altoids tin or similar container. I think it should include larger containers, but I don't know if I'd go as far as bassoonpilot with the "anything smaller than a brick rule".

No Brian, the official definition is exactly what Harrald quoted, a "35mm film canister." There is no mention of Altoid tins or any other type of container on the cache submission form.

I agree with you that a "mini" cache designation would be very useful. But because there isn't, I'll stick with my "anything smaller than a brick" interpretation.

How, you may ask, did I arrive at that size?

From reading all the "Couldn't Find" logs by cachers who were unable to find (sometimes after several attempts) micro (or larger) caches placed in obvious locations ... sometimes quite literally "right in front of their noses." I concluded a few geocachers would only be able to find certain (micro) caches if the cache were to "hit them in the head like a brick."

I don't know about that pencil rule. It seems I'm always poking holes in the ZIplocks with the pencil I try to squeeze into Rubbermaid containers of the 7-9" diameter variety. I usually just break the erase end off and sharpen both sides making it shorter with a built in "spare". icon_cool.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

I don't know about that pencil rule. It seems I'm always poking holes in the ZIplocks with the pencil I try to squeeze into Rubbermaid containers of the 7-9" diameter variety. I usually just break the erase end off and sharpen both sides making it shorter with a built in "spare". icon_cool.gif

Alan

Hey, I LIKE that idea! I've got a yey unplaced micro that i just cut a pencil in 1/2 and sharpened each piece. Never thought to sharpen both ends!.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

So, a question to the veterans of this hobby: in this general area, what are decon conatiners usually classified as?

micro or regular?

(I would guess micro ... but what have y'all found?)

I would probably list a decon container as a regular cache, but it's a borderline case. If the hiding place would accomodate a larger container, I'd list it as regular. If the hiding place was so small that the decon box was a tight fit, I might list it as micro. The size of the container is a clue to the finder. A decon box carefully hidden in a small space will be harder to find than a decon box hidden in a more traditional location (tree stump)..

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

So, a question to the veterans of this hobby: in this general area, what are decon conatiners usually classified as?

micro or regular?

<<SNIP>>

I gota go Micro on this one.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================