cartridge doesn't run properly

j0ckser

I am new to this forum. Thank you to the Admins for starting it and keeping it up to date. I am unable to find the issue I face answered anywhere, so I trust this is not a repeat.

I'm a Wherigo newbie. Today, with some help from my friends, I installed the 'WhereYouGo' app to my Nexus 4 (Android 5.1). Then I connected it to my laptop as a 'drive' and initially could not find the 'WhereYouGo' folder; restarted my phone, and there it was. I found a couple of cartridges, downloaded them to my laptop, moved them to the 'WhereYouGo' folder. Then I went to GZ for the cache start and turned on the app, chose the correct cartridge, and used map to find 'zone 1'. So far so good. BUT I could get no further. No popup question, nothing. :mad:

Lucky for me a caching friend was with me, and he had the same cartridge on his iPhone, and all of the functions worked. As we came close to each zone, a question popped up, we answered it, and were given directions to the next zone, and finally to the cache location. :D We signed and went our separate ways.

So I know how it is supposed to work, but what is missing on my phone? :(

I also encounter similar problems (I run the android app on a Sony Experia) Sometimes I will get into a zone and a question will pop up but there is nowhere to input the answer or choose the answer from the drop down box. If you leave the zone and try to enter it again nothing happens.

On other occasions it has worked perfectly!! Sadly my Hubbie has a windows phone and we haven't been able to find an app to run on that so we have had to give up and go home.

It would be good if someone has a solution.

I've heard many reports of WhereYouGo's stability issues. I don't know what to say on that except I hope it is updated. The developer should, by now, know of these issues.

If you'd like to try another player app--one we're working on at the moment--try looking in the Android and Windows phone threads. I've been using the app when I play cartridges and it has been very stable thus far. (And it's prettier.) spstanley's iPhone app is stable as well, so it was good you had someone with an iPhone with you.

I know people have been having a lot of issues working with Wherigo. We're working on something that should solve those problems. While I'd like to claim Groundspeak is the bottleneck, their slow response time is giving us some valuable additional development time until the general public begins using what we're creating.

THANK YOU RANGER FOX :lol:

There is one piece I forgot: when I go to download the Wherigo Player for Pocket PC, there are 3 requirements, one of which is Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package. I don't know if I have it or not (on my phone), and when I download it, I have no idea where it is (pardon the pun). If I d/l it to my PC, I can't instal it because it needs winzip to open (which I refuse to buy). I'm not convinced I really need it anyway, but thought I'd include this as a possible clue as to why my app doesn't work properly

I've heard many reports of WhereYouGo's stability issues. I don't know what to say on that except I hope it is updated. The developer should, by now, know of these issues.

If you'd like to try another player app--one we're working on at the moment--try looking in the Android and Windows phone threads. I've been using the app when I play cartridges and it has been very stable thus far. (And it's prettier.) spstanley's iPhone app is stable as well, so it was good you had someone with an iPhone with you.

I know people have been having a lot of issues working with Wherigo. We're working on something that should solve those problems. While I'd like to claim Groundspeak is the bottleneck, their slow response time is giving us some valuable additional development time until the general public begins using what we're creating.

I followed the Android link, and saw a discussion, but must have missed something, because I see no link to an app. I would be very interested to use/betatest your app, as the Wherigo was enjoyable last night. To date I have ignored them as caches because I didn't have any incentive to do them (yesterday we did 11 icons as a challenge).

There is one piece I forgot: when I go to download the Wherigo Player for Pocket PC, there are 3 requirements, one of which is Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package.

The short answer is you don't need it.

Here's a longer answer if you'd like it. The original Wherigo Player was written for the Pocket PC and used Microsoft .Net, ergo the need for the Compact Framework (as a runtime). All this was before the advent of smartphones that have so changed our lives and the way we communicate ever since Wherigo was released. Pocket PC was a Windows-based PDA operating system and was used by a small percentage of geocachers (other cachers I knew used Palm OS). If you ever wondered why the geocaching "pocket queries" were named that, I have a strong hunch this was why (or it's for a pocket PDA). Do a query, load your GPS receiver through GSAK or Garmin MapSource, then put the PQ file on your PDA and read it with your favorite application (I used Beeline GPS). Anyway, Apple and Android smartphones these days don't use Microsoft .Net: they use objective C and Java, respectively. The Wherigo Foundation, however, uses C# (Microsoft .Net) to write our Wherigo player app and Xamarin to compile this code into a native app for Apple and Android. Because it's a native app, you don't need to install anything but the app.

Technology has really changed since Wherigo came out! Now, if we could only update Wherigo to use this new technology.

I followed the Android link, and saw a discussion, but must have missed something, because I see no link to an app. I would be very interested to use/betatest your app, as the Wherigo was enjoyable last night. To date I have ignored them as caches because I didn't have any incentive to do them (yesterday we did 11 icons as a challenge).

charlenni and Mangatome work on the WF.Player. You'll have to contact one of them for help installing the WF.Player. It's not currently out on Google Play because we're doing all this in our free time.

By the way, to see who is involved in the Wherigo Foundation and what their roles are, you can go to http://www.wherigofoundation.com/foundation. Everyone is active on the forum, so feel free to ask questions. This is a wonderful forum to be in and I'm rather proud of the community we have. (I participate in the forum because I'm a member of this community; the moderator role is so I can curate posts and help the community.)