Release Notes (Website: New Search updates) - April 23, 2015

Read the previous Release Notes

Release Notes

Today we’ll be releasing a few updates to the new geocache search — in response to requests from geocachers like you! You will now be able to:

•  

• Search for all geocaches in a region from the main search box.
  • Access home location and current location searches from the main search box.
  • Find events in your region or the oldest geocaches near you with just one-click. Check out these new featured searches to help you earn the 15 Years of Geocaching souvenir on May 2nd or 3rd!

We will also be updating the Search for Nearby Geocaches box on the homepage. It will now deliver results using the new geocache search, with the exception of GC code searches which will continue to direct you to the relevant geocache details page.

Questions about the geocache search? Check out this FAQ on The Geocaching Blog.

Additionally, you will now have the option to “Send Message” via Message Center beta or “Send Email” through the email system from a player’s public profile.

The new pages that come up with a list of caches in an area no longer show if there are trackables in a cache. Can you add that back in? Please? Thank you.

+1 (I really miss this feature even for basic members like me).

Does anyone know an other way to search for nearby TB?

Earn the 15 Years of Geocaching souvenir on May 2nd or 3rd!

I had been hoping that there might be a special event type (like the 10 years one) but this is probably just me... I'll wait another 5-10 years for the next one! I don't know if there was an issue last time so I may have been wrong in hoping for a new one. A souvenir is better than nothing so I thank GS for setting it up!

The latest site update introduced a new bug:

In my account preferences, I have set the distance units to "Metric". This still works fine when displaying cache listings - the distance to my home location is given in kilometers. However, it does no longer work in lists of caches sorted by distance, like e.g. when listing the nearest unfound caches around my home location or in the vicinity of another cache. In these list, distances are always given in miles, regardless of me preferred setting. The bug is not a really big deal, but I wanted to let you know.

In my account preferences, I have set the distance units to "Metric". This still works fine when displaying cache listings - the distance to my home location is given in kilometers. However, it does no longer work in lists of caches sorted by distance, like e.g. when listing the nearest unfound caches around my home location or in the vicinity of another cache. In these list, distances are always given in miles, regardless of me preferred setting. The bug is not a really big deal, but I wanted to let you know.

I'm getting the same problem. It's sort-of workround-able, in that there are plenty of websites around that convert feet to metres, but it's a wrinkle I could really do without.

(I first noticed this when trying to work out whether I need to improvise a portage trolley for tomorrow's boat-based cito event. I know how many metres I can carry 20 kg of awkward-shaped plastic before things start to hurt, but having the distance-to-destination come back in a random fraction of miles doesn't help.)

I'm getting the same problem. It's sort-of workround-able, in that there are plenty of websites around that convert feet to metres, but it's a wrinkle I could really do without.

(I first noticed this when trying to work out whether I need to improvise a portage trolley for tomorrow's boat-based cito event. I know how many metres I can carry 20 kg of awkward-shaped plastic before things start to hurt, but having the distance-to-destination come back in a random fraction of miles doesn't help.)

This issue should be fixed in Tuesday's upcoming site release.

Is the map going to allow moving around and rebuilding the caches as it did previously?

It was really nice for planning trips to look where I'm going and see it all on a map further then 50km out and along various routes without having to build a pocket query.

I have not used the standard searches before but used the event search now.

With these big images above the actual button I need to scroll down an awful lot with my computer until I see the actual search button. Actually: I clicked on the image several times until I realized they aren't the search buttons but I need to scroll down instead.

I also wonder if it's possible to sort the events by event date but placing gone but not yet archived events to the back of the queue. 'Places on' is fine, but I think a header like 'event date' might be better suited here.

The page that lists caches just seems too big and messy. I liked the ordered columns and the smaller layout. It made it easier for me to flick through the pages rather than have one massive list that just blends all the listings into one big mess. I don't suppose there is an option to use the previous format?

The events list includes events which have already happened but have not yet been archived.

The "oldest caches near you" and "nearby caches with favourite points" still include everything in NSW including those over 1000 Km away. Your definition of near doesn't match mine.

Curiously, the oldest cache listed was placed on 4/4/1984! Very Strange.

I hate having to do alot of scrolling. I don't like the new results page at all. I like the smaller, more compact list. The website just gets more difficult to use. I have to google what I'm looking for to get to the pages I want. Using geocaching.com has never been the most user friendly site. It's ever worse now.

Server error 500.

Guess this is another fix for something

It fixes the 404 errors. :)

Must be. It worked about an hour later. Not sure if they are having some issues or what.

Wow. Taking a little time to look at this new interface...

Can I have the old one back? I don't have a tablet and won't burn my cell phone battery for geocaching. I only run it from a desktop and it's pretty bad for that means of use - kinda cartoony.

I really DON'T like the new results screen. I much preferred the old one with it's separate pages as apposed to one endless list. If it ain't broke why fix it?, and if you are going to implement one of these so called improvements why not Beta test them first like you did with the advanced search. Why is there no indication if a cache contains a trackable?. The only thing I can see that it has going for it is the fact that when I filter by last found it stays in my locality instead of showing all caches in the country. If we could have that sort of functionality but with the old look it would be much more user friendly IMHO.

I really DON'T like the new results screen. I much preferred the old one with it's separate pages as apposed to one endless list. If it ain't broke why fix it?, and if you are going to implement one of these so called improvements why not Beta test them first like you did with the advanced search. Why is there no indication if a cache contains a trackable?. The only thing I can see that it has going for it is the fact that when I filter by last found it stays in my locality instead of showing all caches in the country. If we could have that sort of functionality but with the old look it would be much more user friendly IMHO.

I found a way around all of this -- just bookmark caches in some area and open View on a Larger Map. You could possibly just bookmark the map view, I once had that, but it stopped working at some point. This is just a very fast way to get to look at a map and then you can include your PQ views and such.

I'm not one for click-click-click-click-click to do something which should be simple.

Worked on some new caches last night, when I was dog-tired from a campling weekend and still find the new cache submission process a massive bother, where the old one worked very well.

You can view the older map method (the one that showed all caches on the map and the paged results) and search results via clicking on your name at the top of the page.

Then scrolling down the left panel to Search Options

Then click on near your home location - which then brings up the old page search results - you can use the new search to search again which will also bring up the old style search result (paged results) not one long list.

old style search link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

you can then use map this location which will take you to that location on the map, zoomed in. however if you zoom out it will show all the caches throughout the UK/World.

Hopefully Geocaching.com will leave these links intact and not force the new version, as using that to search a map only allows you to view the search on the map in 1000 cache circles, very time consuming if you want to search a wide area for a geocache walk. being able to see everything is much better and quicker.

example link of the older search you can still access via your profile name link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=52.606184&lng=-0.437057

Edited by Brit_FK