search Magellan Explorist GC online shop

prynx |TFK|

Magellan Europe have never been very good at sales! They just didn't seem able to get their act together at all. They used to be available at one outdoor clothing store in the UK and also on Amazon but neither now sell it. A search now shows they are still available but the prices are really high (€200)! I had a GC and it is a great little GPS but I would suggest you buy a Garmin simply because they are more widely available and there are many free maps available that you can download for it. Like the GC it is fully paperless so you can load Pocket Queries directly to it*. I'd suggest the eTrex 20 as being similar to the GC and looking at various UK shops much cheaper than the GC (€140).

*If you run a PQ so it shows caches you have already found these will appear on a Garmin GPS as found. But on a Magellan they still show as unfound which is a failing of Magellan and really annoying!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Thanks for the answer, maybe i will buy the extrex 20.

Can i watch the hints of each cache on the extrex 20?

Hints are made available in the unit by loading GPX files. GPX files however, are a Premium Member benefit. Basic Members cannot access GPX files, so... the answer is no. Sorry.

Of course, you could become Premium Member: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=175

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Both the Magellan GC and the Garmin eTrex GPS's will show all the cache information including hints. But you do need to be a premium member to download individual caches or do a Pocket Query to see this. A basic member can only download the cache name, GC number and coordinates. There is a dedicated German geocaching forum where you can get more local information about buying a GPS, maps etc.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website