Manualy entered C0-ords!

Hi, I have a Garmin 450, when searching for the final cache in a multi, and after getting clues and entering co-ords manualy which are correct, the GPS only takes me to a very general area for GZ, So often do not find the cache, Also the arrow often points in the completely wrong direction, and the distance to GZ Can increase or decrease ameter or two as I am walking in the same direction, it is working normaly at other times except the pointer on the purple line on the map occasionaly does not move direction when tt should do, would appreciate any help.

PS I dont know if this has always happened.

I would check that the GPS is set to accept co-ords in the DD MM.MMM format, and that the datum is set to WGS84. Having the datum set to OSGB (Ordnance Survey) can put you about 100 yards off the spot when entering co-ords manually. I don't know where to go to set those on the Oregon but it will be under the setup screen somewhere.

Hi, I have a Garmin 450, when searching for the final cache in a multi, and after getting clues and entering co-ords manualy which are correct,(1) the GPS only takes me to a very general area for GZ, So often do not find the cache, (2) Also the arrow often points in the completely wrong direction, and the distance to GZ Can increase or decrease ameter or two as I am walking in the same direction, it is working normaly at other times except the pointer on the purple line on the map occasionaly does not move direction when tt should do, would appreciate any help.

Two issues may be involved here:

(1) Assure that Lock On Road is turned OFF, as well as Direct Routing is selected. From another thread:

there are 2 places where you have to choose off road. One is obvious, the other is not. Turn LOCK ON ROAD off. Thats the easy part. The hard part is that deep within the Setup is a place where you have several options such as Hiking, Mountaineering, etc. You would think that Hiking would cover it... but no. You need to choose the option called Direct Routing. Once this was picked the Oregon works like a charm

(2) If the compass setup is set on <AUTO> according to the manual, it will switch between "electronic compass" and "GPS compass" depending upon your rate of travel. There may well be a lag when it switches to and fro (p. 31 in the manual). Also -- if your electronic compass is not calibrated occasionally, it WILL provide improper readings (always calibrate after changing batteries).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hi, I have a Garmin 450, when searching for the final cache in a multi, and after getting clues and entering co-ords manualy which are correct,(1) the GPS only takes me to a very general area for GZ, So often do not find the cache, (2) Also the arrow often points in the completely wrong direction, and the distance to GZ Can increase or decrease ameter or two as I am walking in the same direction, it is working normaly at other times except the pointer on the purple line on the map occasionaly does not move direction when tt should do, would appreciate any help.

Two issues may be involved here:

(1) Assure that Lock On Road is turned OFF, as well as Direct Routing is selected. From another thread:

there are 2 places where you have to choose off road. One is obvious, the other is not. Turn LOCK ON ROAD off. Thats the easy part. The hard part is that deep within the Setup is a place where you have several options such as Hiking, Mountaineering, etc. You would think that Hiking would cover it... but no. You need to choose the option called Direct Routing. Once this was picked the Oregon works like a charm

(2) If the compass setup is set on <AUTO> according to the manual, it will switch between "electronic compass" and "GPS compass" depending upon your rate of travel. There may well be a lag when it switches to and fro (p. 31 in the manual). Also -- if your electronic compass is not calibrated occasionally, it WILL provide improper readings (always calibrate after changing batteries).

If those are the source of his problems, he'd have the same issues finding ALL geocaches.

My comment revolves around the notion that coordinates are coordinates, whether acquired from a gpx file or entered in manually. So the problem is that either the coordinates given to you are wrong, or the coordinates are being entered incorrectly. It's easy to put in the wrong coordinates during a multi, especially when the coordinates at each stage are hand-written and fairly old and battered. But sadly, not enough people print the coords to each stage.

I have seen some multi's where the owner puts the coordinates to the next stage in something other than the standard degree/decimal minutes format. I assume that is done to add a little extra challange.

Hi everyone, thahks for the help, whatever the reason have been back to this multi today, and no problems, I did update with the latest software yesterday, the only change made, thanks everyone.