Please recommend good caches between Baltimore and Hershey

DisQuoi

I'm driving from Baltimore to Hershey with a friend on the condition that he give geocaching a try. We are planning 3 hours into out schedule to allow for this. Can anyone recommend any excellent geocaches along this drive?

Self promotion is okay icon_razz.gif

Mr. DisQuoi, I believe you should define what you want in an excellent cache. In a previous forum I defined a good cache as follows:

1. It must be a physically demanding hike. Absolute minimum is one hour getting in, one hour getting out on a trail with elevation changes. In general, the harder, the better. This does not include time in area looking under rocks or in tree stumps for the actual cache. (Roads are not trails.)

2. A beautiful and/or interesting final location.

3. Environmental interest. First this means quantity of animal life to view and lack of quantity of human life to view. Plant life, water, and geology are included.

4. Ability to make the in/out process a loop hike. I like to return on a different trail than the one I came in on.

5. I would prefer the cache to be in a place that I have never been to a place that I have been.

To change this from a good cache to an excellent cache I would change first, and most important item, to “Absolute minimum is two hours getting in, two hours getting out.” You and I have a different definition of an excellent cache since you only budget three hours for the excellent cache.

Like with real estate, the three most important things for a cache are location, Location, and LOCATION.

Here are a few I have either found interesting, or hidden myself and received positive comments on. If you want further info, please feel free to contact me directly. I have listed them roughly from south to north.

Bridge Mural Micro Cache

Clang!

Devil's Racecourse

Martin's Mill Coins, Cards, and Pins Cache

White Rocks

Cumberland County Coin and Card Cache

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

[This message was edited by gnbrotz on June 07, 2002 at 01:27 PM.]

I'll be traveling to Hershey PA from CT and would greatly appreciate suggestions on which caches to hit on the way to and around Hershey. This will be a family camping trip, so kid-friendly caches would be a big help. Roadside attractions would be another big plus, since we'll be stopping for the inevitable potty breaks anyway. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm not certain of our route - I didn't realize how many interstates went through PA. Mapquest wants us to do 108 miles on I78, although to me the I84/I81 route looks like a better bet. But I would be most interested in caches near Hershey and the surrounding areas. We'll be there for a week, and probably have more than one opportunity to hunt some caches.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

quote:
Originally posted by ZingerHead:

most interested in caches near Hershey and the surrounding areas.

Sorry - I have not cached near there, so I will leave you to the hands of others here.

Wow, I just had a look at the PA cache map, zoomed in to Hershey, and it looks like you'll have your pick of CCCooper caches in the area.

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

I'm driving from Baltimore to Hershey with a friend on the condition that he give geocaching a try. We are planning 3 hours into out schedule to allow for this. Can anyone recommend any excellent geocaches along this drive?

Self promotion is okay icon_razz.gif

There are at least six caches that I recall along the North Central Rail Trail between Parkton, MD and York, PA. It's a nice mix ranging from a couple of virtuals to a couple of higher difficulty. And the trail is a beautiful area for a bike ride or walk.