Challenge Caches

Frau Potter

What do you like most about challenge caches?

Right now, challenge caches are just about the only kind of caches I am doing with any regularity. Lifting a lamppost skirt isn't really what I started to get into when I started in '05. Caches had a reason for the placement - not just a numbers thing with skirt lifters.

What do you not like about challenge caches?

If there is a challenge I don't like, I don't do it. Much like any other cache.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

I'd like to see them pulled out of the unknown category and given a category of their own. I would like to see them kept, though.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

geography based - I have finished one Delorme and I am very close to finishing another plus the county challenge for Missouri.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

D/T ones

It is very frustrating when a lot of challenges can't be done by most cachers including myself. And thus is true for a real lot of those caches. While I could maybe lend some equipment and do a one time t5/d5 tradi, I will never manage to do 10 of them on a single day to solve a mystery. Also I will not travel 7 Countries within the next years. Just examples of existing Challange Caches.

Second thing is that it takes the fun for me. While I can understand that some people like challange and some challenges are even fun to do, - most of the challenge caches are about being in a hurry or chaning my caching behaviour. This is neither fun nor challenging.

I also find it essential for geocaching to get/find the final coords and locate the cache to log it. Multis, Mystery and Bonus Caches are all about finding the final coords by doing stuff. On the other hand Challenge caches you have the coordinates, can find the box, but are not allowed to log it. Imho this doesn't meet the idea of geocaching.

Forbid them. That would be best.

Or make very clear restrictions, to make them actually achievable to anyone.

I would really like to see challenges or achievements (like in video games). But as part of the profile where unlocked challenges may appear as icons or somehing. This would ofc need some new coding but would work, have interested to make and show off their challenges but don't force 'oldschool' cachers to take part in those to complete the map with smiles.

• What do you like most about challenge caches?

I’m not a big fan of challenge caches in general, but I do like the sense of accomplishment I’ve gotten when I have completed one. I like that they offer an extra challenge to cachers who might be tired of going after caches just for the sake of that cache.

• What do you not like about challenge caches?

The fact that they take space away from other cache types – for example, there is a long trail nearby that has roughly 200 caches on it. A stretch of that trail is nothing but challenge caches, and one or two traditionals. I would love to cache that whole length of trail, but do not qualify for the challenges, and am not really interested in the challenges enough to try for them just to be able to get the trail space. But going for the traditionals and knowing that there are other caches there but I can’t have them is something I dislike.

• What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

I don’t much care for them in general, but other people love them, so I don’t know what could be changed.

• If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

I enjoy the challenge caches that allow you to meet the requirements on your own time. Ones that I can peck away at slowly rather than have to meet goals within a specific timeline. I like ones that take me to specific places of interest, like a cemetery cache challenge that I recently completed – had to find caches in cemeteries, but not within any specific time guidelines so I spread it out over many months and had lots of great adventures that way!

• What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Anything geography-related, like “find a cache in 5 different counties that all have the same name,” “find a cache in ten counties in a line,” etc. – these require a lot more travel than I can afford to do. Probably great for retirees or people who have the money and freedom to travel a lot, but they’re not my cup of tea.

They challenge me to try some thing different.

Until the new search was introduced it was hard to find challenge caches. Now the main problem is finding qualifying caches you already have. Project-gc is a big help as far as it goes. However I would not like this to rule out a challenge e.g. I think lonely cache challenges are really worthwhile but they are difficult to work out qualifying (I resorted to recording a bookmark list).

What I would like to see stay the same is that my local challenge caches (Wellington, New Zealand) are fine examples. They have been set up by experienced geocachers with good rules and are well respected. They cover a big range and show some real imagination. Achieving these challenges is discussed at local events. Whether this is good luck or good management by my local reviewer I don't know. The challenge for geocaching.com is to replicate this elsewhere.

I don't have a favourite "type" because the whole point is for them to be different. I did do a 100 day challenge streak and as part of that I did a 10 day puzzle streak. Both of these I enjoyed so much I extended them considerably. It was my best period of geocaching ever. I had never done a streak before and I will probably never do a long one again but for those months I was being that streaker guy.

There are some challenges I avoid for much the same reason that I avoid some puzzles, multis and traditionals.

Edited by LrenNZ

If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed.

This is not a place to respond to other users' thoughts or suggestions. For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread.

When you post in this User Insights thread, please let us know:

1. What do you like most about challenge caches?
  2. What do you not like about challenge caches?
  3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?
  4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?
  5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015. For more information about the challenge cache moratorium, see the Help Center article.

- they feed my ambition and some broaden my horizont

- they provide an alternative to this flood of sometimes boring traditionals or sense free multis

- they allow me, by looking at who finds them, to contact some very crazy guys for tremendous fun

- I dislike challenges caches without a clear and simple theme ( i.e. with a sort of strange patchwork like finding 23 of these 53 of these and 13 of these just beacuse the owner just managed it)

- maybe a new category or a subcategory from mysteries or even an icon type. This is however not a must, i am happy with challenges as they are

- extreme ones, thoose just a handfull people can work - hard - to get them ( they are so many others for everybody already)

- in a serie of, say, "finding 100", " finding 200", " finding 300", etc I avoid those with low D/T Values, just to push up my statistics and concentrate on the difficult ones. To let them be challenges...

I like that they push you to complete something, it pushes you to do more, to look at the bigger picture. When traveling, it allows me to look at more then just whats closest to the road. I widen my search area to look for either a challenge cache, or a certain difficulty or terrain, or a virtual, or a cache named the same way. It makes traveling way more fun, having targets instead of just a cache.

I have met some of my best geo-buddies, due to challenge caches. A few years back, me and a good friends published a bunch of challenges along a bike trail. At the release, we had people from 7 or 8 different states, and a Canadian province. To this day, these attendees are some of my best geo-friends. We talk weekly. The circle of these friends has grown since as well.

I would like to see reviewers have a better understanding of the rules to follow with challenges, or even better, have a reviewer outside of the typical reviewers to take charge of challenges. When you have rules, that can be understood different ways, it leaves reviewers up for potential struggles. I have published challenges in multiple states, and each reviewer follows the rules set in place by Groundspeak differently, because how they comprehend the rules. I am not saying they are doing it wrong, but if the rules of challenges were cut and dry, it wouldnt cause as much confusion. Some reviewers have required me to come up with a list of 10 to 20 nearby caches that qualify for a challenge, well, then how is that a challenge, if everyone already qualifies?!?!?!?

One that is provable with stats or gsak. One that doesnt have a ton of items to accomplish to qualify for. It is easier to follow when the rules are limited!

I dont avoid any, even if a challenge requires me to get a certain amount of caches in a county that i live hours away from, i may still sign it if im in the area!

They get me out to do and see things I might not otherwise do. I like ones that are based on getting to different locations as opposed to ones that require finding n geocaches.

When what amounts to a power series of challenge caches are set up in an area. It has the effect of blocking others from placing other types of caches in the area. This effectively prevents those who do not want to do challenge caches or ones that do not qualify for them from finding AND logging finds in that area. One example of this is on the Chippewa River Trail west of Eau Claire, WI.

A separate icon for challenge caches. I believe that combining them with Mystery caches detracts from that very fun category. Challenges are not Mystery caches. It could be as simple as a different colored icon shown as a subcategory as suggested by others.

All-state counties, Jasmers, oldest geocaches, etc.

Challenges based on finding a set number of caches in a day, week, etc. I do not enjoy power caching (my preference, not an objection).

1)

I like how the challenges present me new targets to achieve.

I like browsing through my finds to check if I quallify for a challenge.

I like the diversity of challenges.

2)

Challenges are among first caches I check when going to a new region. I don't like challenges that are locally-oriented and in fact unavailable to traveling geocachers.

3)

I don't see a need for changes. They are great as they are now. Maybe allowing external verification sites would help.

4)

My favorite challenge is something unexpected. Something that makes me search throu my finds to determine if I quallify. They make a great memory refreshers. I like challenges that I must work towatds fulfilling them.

5)

I avoid all the "local" challenges like "360 degrees around a certain point" or "finf 50% caches in a country".

I am not a big fan of "obvious" challenges like D/T matrix, filling the calendar, streak length etc.

1.What do you like most about challenge caches?

They offer a goal to reach. I like having goals.

2.What do you not like about challenge caches?

I don't like as much the ones that say I have to log X number of trackables. Whenever someone puts out Log X, someone adds Log Y and Log Z.

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Add guidelines/rules that say what intervals cab be used for challenges that says to Log X amount of something. Interval of 250? 500? 1,000? I don't have an answer. But for giggles, what if the ET Highway were a whole series of Challenge caches that say Log X, Y, Z, etc. Should it go by 1's, 2's, 5's, 10's? All of those are doable. Dumb? To me yes. It'd be on my ignore list if it were something that would show up in my regular PQs.

4.If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

My favorites are the Fizzy, Jasmer, Find Dates, Placed Dates, 360 degree, X number of Reviewers, Attributes, etc. Stuff like that.

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Streaks. I did 102 days. I'm not doing that again unless I move to another part of the country that has beautiful weather year round. Yeah, that ain't happening.

[*]What do you like most about challenge caches?

They help set goals like Fizzy challenge or 100 caches in a day

[*]What do you not like about challenge caches?

I wish they had their own symbol not the "?" but they should still count to our find count

[*]What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

New icon

[*]If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

100 in a day, or cache everyday

[*]What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Complicated ones just like technical or math puzzles

--Keeps me enthused about caching.

--The satisfaction of qualifying for a challenge.

--I find more non-traditional caches and caches I wouldn’t have searched for previously.

--Subjectivity of some of the answers, at the CO’s discretion.

--Ambiguous or overly complicated logging requirements.

--Some “finders” don’t qualify or don’t post a list.

--Challenges that restrict other cache finds in a particular time period.

--More clarity in the logging requirements.

--Better defined guidelines.

--Moving forward, assign a different icon.

--Challenges that require me to find a variety of cache types or visit interesting places I wouldn’t otherwise visit.

I avoid challenge caches that:

--require significant driving in a short time period.

--only “locals” can meet.

--don’t sound like any fun.

--I’m far from meeting.

--require a lot of bookkeeping.

The fact that they do what they say. They give you another aspect to Geocaching that gives you some sort of Focus on what you are going to achieve.

The fact that they are sometimes difficult to easily identify amongst the cache listings shown when you do a search.

Some challenges are very tedious to collate the information in order to satisfy the CO that you have indeed met the requirements set out in the challenge. It would be good if, as part of the challenge cache where lots of Stats are needed, that the CO provided some form of 'checker' to simplify this. Perhaps by utilising the 'My Finds' Pocket Query. I know that many users, myself included use GSAK, and many things have been created within this program to do this, but not every cacher has or wants to use this program.

It could be frustrating when a challenge cache is published close to your home, and you have no way of achieving the requirements, and you want to try to 'find' ALL caches say within 5 Km of your home coordinates - I can see this really winding some people up. The solution? I don't know, but maybe they could only be placed in Rural areas - where fewer people would have this issue.

An easy method of identifying them when conducting a search on Geocaching.com

As in (2) above, an easy method to produce any complicated information on how and which caches were used to complete the challenge cache requirements.

Perhaps an 'Achievemnt Badge' would be nice, like those already offered for number of Earth caches found etc.

None in particular, we just really like the variety that they offer. Some of the really difficult ones where the requirements are very time consuming to achieve are less enjoyable, but each to their own

None really. We ignore the ones that we will never achieve, like finding 'x' caches in 'x' continents in 'x' timeframe. For us this is just unrealistic, but maybe not for others.

Challenge caches give me a reason to go out and find new caches. I have a long list of challenges I'm working on. I enjoy working out how I can achieve the challenges, and trying something different.

Can't think of anything I don't like about challenge caches.

An attribute to help find them easily.

I honestly like them all. I like collecting random names, types of icon, church micro k's, half jasmar, resuscitation ....

I prefer them to be clear, so I might avoid one if it looks too complicated.

2. What do you like most about challenge caches?
  3. What do you not like about challenge caches?
  4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?
  5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?
  6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

1) I like how much variety challenges caches add to my daily caching experience. It's one thing to just go to an area and clear out all the caches. It's quite another to plan a whole day's adventure of grabbing specific caches in order to fulfill a challenge. Both approaches can be fun but mixing them up really adds to my enjoyment.

2) I haven't found a downside to challenge caches yet. There my be some challenges that, at the moment, I see no way of ever qualifying for but then again, never say never.

3) I'd just like an easier way to search for them. An attribute would probably do it.

4) My favorite challenge at the moment is a challenge to complete a certain number of challenges. So, you see, the more challenges the better.

5) I don't know that I avoid certain challenges but there are a few that I just accept that I'm not going to be able to complete anytime in the foreseeable future. For instance, there is a challenge in my area to reach a certain number of streak days. The number is less than a year but, with my current caching style, I'm just not going to get this one.

I like that they make you get outside, as in a daily streak. Get more active, as needing 100 caches in a day.

Makes you think about which caches you need to find, as in old caches or D/T rating caches. I do enjoy most challenge caches.

There is nothing that I don't like about challenge caches. If I know that I will never complete it, I move on.

I don't think adding another Cache Icon would be a good idea, but making an attribute for Challenges would be good. This way geocachers that don't like challenges can filter them out and geocachers (like myself) who enjoy them can find them easier.

I also think that challenge caches should only be available to premium members.

I have many: I like the daily streaks, visiting state/provincial parks, finding old caches, etc. They are all fun.

I don't avoid any, but I know my limits and there are some that I will never complete, so I skip them. That's why they are challenges.

Just like there are some D5 or T5 caches that I will never get.

I hope that challenge caches return soon.

Thank you

I like that they push me to expand my caching experiences, otherwise I'd probably be a very urban p&g occasional cacher. Now I even seek them out when I travel because I enjoy them, they add variety. If I already qualify, it's my lucky day; if not, then I have something to work toward. I also enjoy caching with others, so they also give me a reason to team up and hit the road to grab caches needed for different challenges. They have also helped me learn how to use GSAK :)

When I also have to solve a time consuming puzzle to get the final coordinates. Wasn't it enough that I finally qualified for the challenge? I get it, they don't want it to turn up missing every other week week, but at least make it a fairly easy to solve puzzle! Also, some of the date requirements (ex. can only use caches placed before a certain date) sometimes makes it very difficult to accomplish. Altho I understand that too, they don't want people placing caches just to qualify for their challenge.

More consistency between D/T ratings for challenges. You can see the same challenge in multiple states and they all have different D/T ratings. I even saw two of the same challenge, by the same cacher, in different cities in the same state with completely different D/T ratings (one was 5/5, one was 1.5/1.5)! I think most D/T ratings are for how difficult the challenge is to accomplish, I think it should also be made very clear by the CO what the D/T rating is for signing the log itself. If I completed a 365 day streak (which in my opinion is a 5/5 rating), I need to know if I'm lifting a lamp skirt or I have to take a 5 mile hike to sign the log.

One that is attainable. Which is a horrible answer, because that is different for every player of the game. What's easily attainable for me (travel, living near a state line, having thousands of caches within 20 miles of where I live, etc.), will never be true for someone else.

No specific type. I may ignore them for a while, but eventually I go back and take another look. Then I may continue to ignore it or do something about it. Some requirements do get a little ridiculous, but to each their own.

I'm sorry to hear so many people dislike challenge caches, but I personally hope they stick around! Thanks for letting us give our two cents.

Please let us know:

1. What I like most about cc: to make us discover new and beautiful sites.

2. What I don't like: "speed" like find 5 earthcaches in the same day (geocachers will not take the time to admire the site and understand the phenomenia, they are interested to accomplish the challenge!); finding 200 caches in the same day (??!!, no need to explain in detail); finding 50 nano caches along a route (what's the interest?); finding a cache for 60 or 90 consecutive days (is it interesting?)

3. What I would like to see changed: not publishing excentric inquiries;

Interesting, diversified like different types, sites, waymarks;

Finding 50, 100 (or more) geocaches placed by the same geocacher or group of geocachers; finding a big quantity of geocaches in a limited time;

Edited by Zubulus

Everyone who has been in the game for a while gets stagnant: there are only so many LPCs you can find until they cease to be exciting. Challenge caches provide new blood: suddenly I have to look for a new type of cache, or size, or location to find it, so it is a new "challenge" They also reward the dedicated cacher with something special. I have placed several, but have found even more

Living in a rural area, where there are maybe 10 unfound caches in a 10 mile radius left for me, I don't have the same possibilities for caching as someone in an urban area. Some challenge caches clear favor urban areas (500 day streaks, find 2 caches in 7 different categories on one day, etc). However, I have the option to not seek those that don't interest me.

I would like them to have their own icon/cache type. It has always seemed wrong that they are lumped together with puzzle caches.

It requires me to expand the type/location of caches I seek, but not be so difficult to reach that I have no chance of doing so.

See above. I dislike those that are so clearly in a niche that they are impossible for the average dedicated (ie hundreds of finds over more than 6 months) to ever qualify for.

I like the fact that they give my caching more of a purpose. I don't cache simply to qualify for challenges constantly but keep them in mind when planning a caching day.

Not liking challenges all together is like not liking geocaching. The variety and ability to do what we want when we want is what makes it fun for all walks of life. There are some challenges that I will never qualify for but that doesn't make them bad.

As I enjoy puzzles, I would like to see challenge caches get their own icon. I have read some who mention an attribute but honestly I don't use those at all so definitely not a fan of that suggestion.

One that is achievable within a reasonable distance from home and one that includes older caches somehow. The traditional County, Delorme, Fizzy, Calendar, Jasmer challenges are really my favorites though.

Don't avoid any. Just know some aren't going to happen such as 50 states or those that require international travel. Wish I could do it but don't see it happening.

- Good challenge caches can be a motivational factor. Challenges can keep me active in the sport during the lulls.

- They break up the monotony of "yet another ordinary traditional in another ordinary location" malaise. Sometimes when a well-thought out challenge is published I will drive across town past dozens of yet-unfound-by-me caches to sign in at the challenge.

- Completing a well defined challenge is a fun achievement.

- Challenges might give me an excuse to go on a road trip.

- I'd like to seem challenges continue in order to encourage cachers to continue to strive for positive achievements.

- I like having something to strive for in my caching besides "find yet another cache." Having a goal adds another dimension of interest to the game.

- Great for setting goals and scheduling plans.

- Sometimes it takes quite a bit of time to go through old logs to ensure you qualify. (However, revisiting these old logs can be a fun and nostalgic experience).

- Challenges that take a long time to log the "proof".

- New icon

- The cache owner should have completed the challenge himself to (a) prove it can be done, and (B) demonstrate how to show your completion/qualification. This should clear up any qualification logging confusion.

- I think that puzzle caches in general confuse new cachers (a cache listing that's not at the posted coordinates), so banning challenges based on the argument of 'confusing to new cachers' is not valid.

- The word 'Challenge' should be clearly stated in the cache title ALWAYS.

- Two separate Diff/Ter scales, one for the hide itself and a separate difficulty indicator for the aspect(s) of the challenge itself

- I don't like that the rules currently forbid challenges based on hider characteristics. I feel Groundspeak itself doesn't acknowledge cache hiders enough (the lifeblood of the goecaching community), and as currently stated, the existing challenge rules tend to continue to glorify number of finds as opposed to number of quality hides.

- A previous poster mentioned a new log type, such as "challenge completed" instead of just "found it". I like that idea.

- I'd like to see better data mining tools to assist with determining if you qualify for a particular challenge.

- Perhaps also the creation of challenge caches should be limited to "experienced" cachers (whatever that means). You should have completed (and logged some challenge caches before you can create one of your own). In fact, I think hiders in general should be encouraged to find lots of caches before attempting to hide one yourself (eg: 100 finds). In both cases, this might increase the quality of cache hides overall.

- Most challenges. I have completed a wide range of challenges and there's something different to enjoy about each (for different reasons).

- The cache challenges that can be easily verified on your own profile page (which is a backhanded plea to Groundspeak to continue to enhance the Statistics pages on our profiles).

- I like the challenges that require me to try a different caching experience or get out of my home caching area in order to complete them. While it is difficult to travel with a young family, I like the added challenge that is required to make a geocaching roadtrip happen.

- I also like challenges that encourage finding less common aspects of typical geocaching (like icons, favourite points, fizzies, jesmers, etc).

- I don't know of any challenges that I consciously avoid, however, ones that have nebulous or very tedious and time-consuming qualification requirements.

- Additionally, I can happily ignore any that I know I will never qualify for (but you can never say never).

I love checking to see if we qualify and if not, how easy/difficult will it be to fulfill the requirements. They are a huge motivation to me to cache more and in different places than I would otherwise consider just for ordinary caching. I eagerly checked your weekly emails to see if any new challenges were included, so now I'm truly bummed you've put them on hold for an entire year. I just put our first challenge cache out and had planned several more this year so this is really depressing and a huge over reaction to complaints. We own several Virtual caches so I know some people can cheat on whether they actually go the location or do an armchair find. In discussing this problem with other cachers we all agreed that if some people want to cheat on something like this, so what? It doesn't actually take away from what we achieve or our fun. I don't see the problem with signing the log if you're in the area and posting a note that you did so and then logging a find online after you qualify. When we travel I always check out virtuals and those with the most Favorite points to take us to amazing places or to special caches; since starting challenges, we now also look for ones that help us to qualify for them. Without new challenges, caching could get boring.

Ones that seem like only a handful of cachers would ever be able to complete. Cachers who are more concerned about whether other people qualify and complain about it than just making sure they fit the requirements. I don't like a lot of puzzle or earthcaches and even some traditionals but I would never ask for them to be removed. I hate that you put a year long moratorium on new ones.

A separate icon would be very useful so I wouldn't have to open caches to see if they are ordinary puzzles or an interesting challenge. I get just as disappointed when I see a virtual ghost icon on the map that then turns out to be an earthcache. If you start the Challenge icon from a future date forward so as to not disrupt the puzzle count that would be fine with me. When we travel it would be really helpful to see a separate icon on the map. Cachers who don't like them could avoid them more easily then. I don't like challenges I've been working on to be archived - at least not without a period of time to try to complete it first.

I like word challenges though the first one that grabbed me was completing our daily grid. We started out working on DeLorme but that has fallen by the wayside though still in the back of my mind. I was incredibly frustrated when Groundspeak changed the word search to "starts with..." - a totally worthless search, so I'm thrilled that the word search is back. GSAK hasn't been available to me all the time so I depend mostly on Groundspeak.

Ones that require finding massive amounts in a short time, those restricted to only one type (though we're still trying to do some of them) or that require travel or physical effort we're unlikely to be able to do. I usually groan when icon requirements exceed five. But its just the same as with any type of cache, I won't tackle ones we can't do physically or mentally. But I would never say they shouldn't exist just because I'm not going to look for them so why should people want to take away challenges from all of us who love them. We only have four caches left to find for the Jasmer Challenge but may never be able to get to them but I think that challenge deserves to exist.

They may provide extra motivation to go find a cache on a day you otherwise wouldn't leave your house.

Some of them discourage you from logging caches immediately. There's no sense in that. I'm pretty sure there's already a rule that says that challenges that can be completed by not logging caches are denied, but I don't think the implications of this rule are fully understood.

Take a challenge to find 30 mystery caches in a day. To complete this, you need 30 solved mysteries. You probably cannot solve all of these on a single day and as you go, so you basically need to solve them in advance (days, weeks, months) and have them wait for the day you attempt the challenge. Chances are that some of these mysteries would be around locations where you'd go anyway even if you weren't doing a challenge. But it would be foolish to go and find them if you weren't doing the challenge. No, scratch that -- you'd even be wise to go and find them, you'd just have to not log them. But that makes even less sense to me: when I find a cache, I want to log it too right then.

I think this applies to any challenge where time is somehow involved. Find a cache on each day of June? Again, you'd be wise to go and find but not log a few caches for "emergency cases".

Disallow challenges that have some requirement related to time, i.e. when the caches can be logged. The challenges should instead have something to do with the properties of the caches, like their attributes ("find 100 caches with a bicycle attribute"), location ("find a cache from 10 different countries"), terrain or difficulty ("find ten D5 caches"), or even name ("find caches whose names begin with letters from A to Z").

Any challenge whose conditions can be naturally fulfilled over the time, but that can be accelerated as well. I just recently realized that I've got cache name alphabets from A to Z and from 0 to 9, except for the number 5, so I looked up one of the nearest caches whose name begins with the number 5 and went ahead and found it today. No stress taken about the other caches in the past, they've just accumulated over the time, naturally.

The challenges that would require too much commitment and planning, such as streaks of consecutive days finding caches. I don't have a car and I've cleared my immediate surroundings and the caches from my trip to work even before the challenge caches were introduced in the first place. New cachers have it easy when they've got a city full of caches just waiting to be found, but I'm not in that luxurious position anymore.

Like many have posted before, Challenge Caches are a great new twist on the game ...and it's all voluntary! Cache owners work very hard and go to a great deal of time, trouble and sometimes expense to publish new caches for all to enjoy. Challenge caches are no different. Since Geocaching is now celebrating its 15 year anniversary, we now have many, many cachers who have a considerable number of finds and are now looking for new tasks and goals...cue the Challenge Cache! What a great new way to generate new quests and keep seasoned cachers interested in the game! Challenge Caches gave them something new to try and can spark renewed interest. And newer or less experienced cachers? Why, they have a blank slate of a playground in which they can choose how they want to play with even more options than 'older' cachers! win/win.

-A Challenge of Countries? Great! ...if you are lucky enough to be able travel.

-A Challenge of City Names in the Title? ...even better if you don't have that option, you can still 'travel' in your database and play the game.

-A Challenge to Find Lonely Caches? ...I guarantee you will hike to someplace you will remember always.

-A Challenge to Find Cemetery Caches? ...That one created some of our most memorable road trips ever!

-A Color Challenge Cache? ...shoot, one night we were on a road trip 1000 miles from home searching in some dark woods for that elusive 'Violet' cache . But we'll never forget it! And it was LONELY to boot! :ph34r:

The point is, not every challenge will appeal to every cacher. I love having the choice. I remember well over the years not even caring about things like 'Jasmer' or 'D/T grids'. But later on when I realized that without even trying I only had a few boxes left? The Challenge was ON and I had a blast making memories of a lifetime on road trips with friends to fill in those last coveted slots.

Good grief, PLEASE create a new icon for them! Filtering is a necessary evil. People who do not like puzzles or multis can filter them out. People who do not like challenges are stuck going through the Mystery caches one by one to see what it is. Challenges aren't puzzles. And in my opinion a simple added attribute will not cut it. Attributes aren't always used correctly if at all. I have climbed dozens of trees for caches but less than 5 of them have the tree climbing attribute attached. And yes, there is a challenge that I do not qualify for because I don't have enough 'tree climbing' attributes even though I have enough climbing caches.

Ok, this one is easy to answer. The biggest problem with Challenge Caches is the disparity in interpreting the rules to get them published in the first place. Our reviewers are wonderful. They work very hard on a voluntary basis (read NO PAY). They do a great job and give up lots of their personal time. But they are human and have different ideas of what a great Challenge Cache is or isn't. They are given a very subjective set of rules to quantify. Why does an one Challenge require a submission of '10 local cachers who qualify' while another seemingly impossible Challenge doesn't require that same list of 10? And what a spoiler to already know who your first 10 finders will be since you have already queried them, negating the 'challenge' part of the Challenge. In fact, based on the new 'rules', the original Cache Across America would never have been published in the first place. What a loss of a great lifetime Challenge that would have been along with any possible future Challenge ideas.

Publishing Challenge Caches cannot be an easy process because it is so subjective. But one cannot have different sets of publishing rules that are applied to different COs. I don't know exactly how that could be addressed in such a way to make everyone happy. If there was an easy way, we wouldn't be facing the moratorium we are now. But some sort of less subjective system is necessary or I don't see how the Challenge Cache can continue in its present form.

Please see my answer to question #1. :D

Ugh. Streak Challenges or any Challenge that requires me to alter caching patterns. No thanks. I am approaching my 10 year anniversary of caching and I think my longest streak is 12 days or some such. Just not my thing even IF my job allowed the opportunity, which it doesn't. But some people like them and they have every right to play them if they wish. (That's where a nifty new icon would come in handy. Filter folks, FILTER!) ;)

Well that's my 2 cents worth (or perhaps 3). But I felt this subject was important enough to get me out of lurking mode after spending a couple of hours reading the responses.

So Cache/Challenge/Puzzle/Hike Only/Power Trail/Urban Micro/Streak/Kayak/Mountain Climb/Scuba on, everyone!

Edited by lorriebird

I like the fact that they may lead you to do caches that are a bit further afield, widen your caching experience. And then the feeling of qualifying and being able to find the actual physical end cache - gives that extra bit of satisfaction.

It's hard to identify them on the map - they look the same as puzzle caches (which I also like but would be good to distinguish in a search).

I like them as they are. Good to have the mix of the "stats" challenge but with a real purpose to it in that you can find the physical cache.

If you could describe your favourite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Ones that are fun and educational at the same time - exploring aspects of a local area or similar cache types (e.g. church micros) in order to find a related end cache.

Where it's fiddly or long-winded to find out or prove that you have qualified.

thanks for the opportunity to comment - hope to see challenge caches back again soon!

They add an extra level of 'challenge' and accomplishment to the hobby.

Challenges with ridiculous conditions that are well beyond the capability of 95% of cachers?

Change the difficulty on challenges to reflect the difficulty in reaching all of the requirements of that cache. The hide should not be the challenge.

Clear, precise requirements to fulfill the challenge with few, if any, special conditions. No more than 3 conditions for the completion of the challenge.

Challenges that are day specific, require a streak to be maintained.

I like that it adds more to the game than simply going to specific coordinates to find a single cache (ok sure, puzzles and multis also do this, but challenges seem to be even bigger than those, which I like). It is a nice way to tie together many different caches that would otherwise not be connected in any way.

I don't like how some challenges do not make sense for the location that they are in. For example, there is a challenge cache nearby that requires users to have found a cache at an elevation of over one mile above sea level. However, there are NO caches in this entire state (Maine) that are a mile above sea level. So this seems like a bad location for such a challenge.

I also don't like how arbitrary some of the locations of the actual caches are. For example, there is a challenge about "finding a cache in every state along the Atlantic Ocean". Awesome, I have found a cache in all 14 states that border the Atlantic! ... but the actual cache is in Miami, FL. As I said, I live in Maine... so even though I've completed this (difficult) challenge, I still can't log it because it's too far away. Lame! For cases like this, I would like to have some ability to log it "virtually", because I shouldn't have to go all the way to Miami in order to officially complete it.

As I said above, I would like to see more "virtual" challenge caches so that users can attempt to complete many different challenges rather than just a few local ones (which, as pointed out with the "mile high" one, may not even be local either).

I would like to see more location-specific challenges like the historical county challenges in (southern) Michigan. The gist of those are that the user needs to find 5 of the 10 oldest active caches in the county (or something like that) and then they can log that county's challenge cache. Then there is a cache for certain regions (if you've completed the challenge in [these five counties] then you can log this other challenge cache", etc.), which I think is fun. It gives you a lot to work on in a relatively small area, but it's also straight forward and includes many different ways of completing it. I would like to see this concept used more.

I think these are the best ones because they don't require nearly as much traveling to complete, but I do understand that they are also harder to set up and verify. So I guess it would be nicer if there was a better way to sort "locally". I feel like a lot of the challenges are "too big" because it is easier to check if you've found a cache in 14 different states than it is to see if you've found a cache in 14 different cities that are all in the same county, etc.

I avoid the ones that are too arbitrary or just too hard. For example, the mile high one mentioned earlier. Sure it would be nice to eventually log it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to travel to a location that has a high enough altitude in order to be able to complete it.

Edited by ZeekLTK

When there were only a few in my neighbourhood they were OK.

Where would you like me to start. Challenge caches that require you to ignore your family on special occasions would be my first complaint.

Challenge caches should have a reasonable expectation that they could be completed by most people within a 90 day period. Although, caches with geographical challenges (eg find two caches on the same day at least a thousand Miles apart or three countries in a day are much less annoying than the idiotic ones that make you do so many in a row.)

Find a few of the hiders traditional caches then find the challenge cache.

Honestly, my husband and I used to geocache as a team. After the publication of far too many challenge caches around the same time as a lot of lame lamp post micros I have refused to cache. I guess my answer would be that I avoid all geocaching because of challenge caches.

I like the challenge, it's another kind of Geocaching.

That there is no special icon. So these caches are very hard to find on the website. There is no special category for challenge-caches except the word "challenge" in the title.

I would like to have a special Icon and a special category.

Doing things which interact with other caches. For example find caches which were not found over a year, find n caches with special themes like castles, churches, ancient stones and so on. And I like traveling caches like find a cache in each region of a country, cross n country-borders a day

Find all caches from D/T 1 -1 to 5 -5, find 10 caches a day with D/T-rating 5/5 and so on.

I like that they do get you to set goals.

Too many challenges near me I will never, never, be able to complete.

Set up a a few guidelines for just them,

A challenge that the average geocacher could have a chance to complete. A challenge with many possibilities to complete.

The ones with lots of travel, traveling to X amount of countries, National Parks, States, etc. They are just ridiculous.

1. What do you like most about challenge caches? Sometimes they make me target caches I otherwise wouldn't go after, or they make me push myself to get different sizes, icons, distances, etc. I've found some awesome caches and seen some really cool areas that I may not otherwise have gone to just because I was working on a specific challenge.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches? Sometimes they get too repetitive (how many different road-trip challenges are there in northern Illinois that really aren't all that different?).

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? At least an attribute identifying it as a challenge cache, if not a separate icon. But even that isn't necessary as the word "challenge" is in challenge cache titles almost all of the time. Maybe requiring that the word "challenge" is in the title, if that's not too micro-managing. I'd also like a built-in function to be able to check to see if challenges are met.

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? I like challenges that make you do something different. I guess that's all of them isn't it? Streak challenges, number in a day, number of a certain icon, number of icons in a day, D/T grid, month placed calendar, lonely caches...they all encourage people to go caching. And, honestly, if people actually read cache descriptions there wouldn't be any confusion when trying to log them.

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? I don't think I've seen a challenge yet that I disliked. There are some that require the qualifying caches be found in a specific state that I know I likely won't complete, but that doesn't mean I don't like them or the idea.

I appreciate the foresight that Groundspeak has in placing a moratorium on challenge caches in order to evaluate their implementation in the game. I am hopeful that some decent rules can be put into place to allow good challenge caches and disallow the crappy ones. My responses to your questions are below.

I like a challenge cache that requires me to stretch my geocaching muscles a bit; something that takes me out of the routine of traditional caches along regular roads in town. I like challenges that require me to go to new locations or areas where I don't typically cache.

Challenges that force me to NOT get a cache; or something that requires me to get a cache every day in a row for any length of time (even a week). I also don't like that they are the same icon as puzzle/mystery caches.

Give them their own icon. Disallow challenges that make you go to specific locations on specific days; disallow challenges that require moving TBs (too many people suck at moving TBs.); disallow challenges that require me to find caches in some specific order (alphabetical/numerical/chronological; disallow challenges that require me to STOP caching on any particular day; disallow challenges that require me to meet the goal within a specific time limit (some of us have jobs and don't have the luxury of caching every day!); disallow a CO requiring you to "get permission" aka get the real coordinates from them before going for the find; disallow a CO from using their own judgement on whether a cache is a micro or a small (if it's listed as a small, it's a small, even if it's a film canister.); disallow challenges that are more about bookkeeping (or searching through previous finds) than finding caches;

Challenges that I can complete as fast or slow as I want and that require me to stretch a bit outside the easy caches. My favorite have been DeLorme, county, Fizzy, and Elevation challenges.

Challenges that require me to complete it in a specific amount of time. I have a job.

I do enjoy the challenge in some of the finds.

For example, the Aloha Series off the east coast of Honolulu (Oahu) by GeoGerms gets you into studying Hawaiian culture and learning a little before you plunge into Hawaii. It helps some people deal with winter boredom and plan for their upcoming vacation that are mainland bound. For local islanders, like I once was, it gets us out exploring to learn more about your world around you. While most locals know where to get malasadas, did you know the owners name before? How long they have been in business? No you probably didn't know details like that but you will after a little studying and a site visit! I also like that you can check your work to make sure your coordinates are correct before you attempt the find. This leaves you at no risk to being in a dangerous location looking around. If you didn't get it right, then that means back to studying. :-) LOL!

The Zombie Challenge in La Plata, MD by The Zombie Horde gets you thinking in a different kind of way. You get to burn those cold winter nights - watching Zombie shows and solving questions along the way. What Fun?! Then, when it thaws, you turn out like a Zombie to go test your knowledge and get those caches! Something I didn't fully attempt this past winter but plan on taking full advantage of this upcoming winter!

There are also simple Challenge caches with puzzles that have a definitive solution (Sudoku/Word Finds/Crosswords/Cryptograms). These we like!

I'm also a custodian of a challenge cache in my Sister's series of regular caches. The final is a challenge cache. You go to each cache and get a number. Each number correlates to spot in the coordinates for the final sister, the challenge cache. This type is fine with our crew as well.

I'm reluctant to attempt a challenge cache that does not have a definitive answer or a way to check your work with final coordinates. (As I write this, I realize my one and only adopted challenge cache does not have a solution checker. I'll be updating that tonight). If it has many outcomes and you can't check your work, you can possibly have 7 to 13 solutions; leaving you trying to find a cache in a spot that's potentially dangerous. (We all know that we, cache at our own risk). However, why add to the risk factor, confusion and frustration?

I have also seen caches in this type that say you have to get X amount in so many days. I'm not a big fan of this as we work full time and cache at our own pace. This only invokes more trouble than it's worth. How about that you have cached every day in year over a period of 5 to 6 years instead? I understand some of these are out there to help us score the elusive 5 out of 5 for the final grid mark. Let's be honest, if you're asking for that kind of dedication, then most have already found a 5 in difficulty and 5 in terrain. This goes the same for caches placed saying get X amount in a state it's placed in and the cache is actually far away. For example the challenge cache was in Kaneohe, Hawaii but the actual cache location was in CA?! Not in a local travel through spot either in CA! Seriously, when am I ever going to get there like that? Looks like I get to archive that till retirement! 40 years later if it still exists?!

I also will not attempt 4 to 5 in difficulty with kids. Terrain - no problem. My monkeys can get further than me! When it comes to the difficulty level though, it's not fair to them or me and my sanity.

I suggest, let's add a way for those to check their work to make sure they got the coordinates correct before they go out caching. This helps eliminate potentially dangerous situations for cachers.

I don't particularly care for the elusive caches that don't really have a good solution or too many answers. They only yield to more frustration than they are worth. This is not that often but it shouldn't take me and the crew a year to solve.

I also suggest that caches not have the time requirement within. Who cares if it took you five to six years to fill your Calendar grid? Did you finish it? Yes = 100 points. I'm not suggesting to get rid of them completely, EDIT these please.

The Aloha series by GeoGerms! Easy learning, a coordinate checker, container clearly explained and it wasn't OVER THE TOP! "Thanks for the Aloha Cuz!"

4 to 5 in difficulty

elusive or too many possible solutions

Web/picture embedded - some people are color blind

Time requirements

Please let us know:

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015.

I always enjoy challenges!

1. They encourage me to pursue a certain goal, go the extra step for a cache, look for 'special' caches...

2. Some challenges are a bit daft but I can't put them on the ignore list!

3. Nothing really. I'd like to see them in the future as well! I don't like the ones that urge you find find a certain number of caches, cache types, sizes etc within a certain period of time.

4. Challenges related to travel or statistcs which can be fulfilled by either keeping on caching for a certain time or by investing some special effort.

5. I don't like the ones that much that urge you find find a certain number of caches, cache types, sizes etc within a certain period of time.

Sometimes it is fun to have a specific goal to aim for.

Too often, they seem to be mean-spirited and designed specifically to exclude people rather than actually challenging them.

Clearer rules about what can constitute a challenge and how a cacher qualifies. A minimum distance between challenge caches, i.e. no challenge cache powertrails or geoart. An attribute.

A challenge based on complex multi-caches in difficult terrain.

Anything to do with powertrails or extremely high numbers.

I get an extra smiley for finding a number of pre-defined caches (it's like a bonus cache). And I get to go out to find a physical cache.

As they are physical caches with ALRs, I feel like I'm being denied the find on many caches in my area (sometimes, those challenges are beyond what is achievable for a regular geocacher - do we need classes of geocachers?). I could ignore them, but it's almost impossible... They are published as puzzle caches and I don't want to ignore puzzle caches. Therefore, I have to manually select challenge caches out of puzzle caches to ignore them and as you can't ignore what you know...

I can understand why some people got bored with traditional geocaching and wanted to spice it up a bit. It just seems like if GS lost control of it. Getting this extra smiley becomes like a burden in some cases.

Make them virtual. Create a new icon. Make them managed/owned by Groundspeak.

Being virtual would mean no one would stumble on the physical cache, intentionally or not, sign the log and later be told their log is not valid. A cache find is a cache find.

The new icon would make it easy to ignore challenge caches for those who are not interested to play the sidegame. The challenge cache aficionados would still be able to challenge themselves, attain a goal and gloat about it (if they want).

Being owned and managed by Groundspeak would limit the number and type of challenges and give you some control over them. It could probably also make you implement automatic review/approval of the requirements for a find claim.

None, really. But if you were to keep only a few types, I guess the ones it's not possible to cheat on (so many finds in so many countries/states/provinces, so many finds on different difficulty/terrain ratings, so many finds by placed date, etc.).

Most of them, especially those that are time related (one-cache-a-day for 30 days, so many caches in so many days, etc.).

Brings variety to the game, and gives me a goal to work towards. After a mere 2117 finds, I'm no longer "in it" for the numbers and get bored just racking-up finds. I'm in it now for entertainment, variety, the places it takes me, and the feats I have to perform. Challenges just add another deep, rich layer to the game.

Also....if you've been doing a lot of caching, then you deserve the satisfaction of logging a cache that a newbie can't possibly log. There should be perks for those of us who have done lots of caching already. Think of them as "merit badges" that only an Eagle Scout can attain. I see some of the cachers in my area (Vancouver, BC) many with over 10,000 finds, some with 20k+, and I'm glad that there are caches out there that pretty much only they and a few others can sign. Gives ME something to strive for and I know I'll feel a real sense of accomplishment when I can add my name to the list, years from now.

Challenges with rather esoteric requirements, but frankly, that doesn't bother me, as I just put it on my ignore-list. I know full-well that someone else might absolutely love a challenge that I've ignored. Each to their own. If it doesn't tickle my fancy, that doesn't bother me. I'd just remind everyone...they're called CHALLENGE caches for a reason! These ain't meant to be easy caches, folks!

Nothing. Okay, a new icon, but that won't ever happen as it would mess with everyone's stats for all the past challenges that they've already done.

The type that not many people qualify for! Hah. I like so many different types. Feats, icons-in-a-day, D/T combos, names of caches found, etc etc. Unlike other "lazy challenge cachers", I like the fact that I might have to use GSAK or Project-GC.com to do research to see whether or not I qualify for a cache. Just like Earthcaches can sometimes take a lot of work, so too can challenges.

I'm not going to deliberately travel more than 50 miles from my house to fulfill a challenge, as I can't just abandon my non-caching family on a weekend, but if by pure coincidence I travel and know that it would help a challenge, then why not?

What do you like most about challenge caches? The added effort required to sift through the many caches out there and find the ones needed to meet a challenge.

What do you not like about challenge caches? What's not to like? If you don't like them, don't do them.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Nothing.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Those that make us visit areas we might not otherwise visit, such as the Delorme or one that requires visits to X number of State Parks or the challenge that requires X number of cemetery caches in Y number of counties within the state.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? The 100 in a day or the all D/T grid in a day.

Please let us know:

1. What do you like most about challenge caches? It get the competitive juices flowing and make us want to get out and Cache on!
  2. What do you not like about challenge caches? N/A. All Caches have their place.
  3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Perhaps it's own unique icon.
  4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Field Puzzles. Something that you solve in the wild, not and armchair rack your brain for days to solve puzzle. Something that you solve while out at GZ or to find GZ, out in nature with the elements and fresh air.
  5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? None. We are always open to all caches.

Regards,C3Geo

Challenges are near the top when it comes to what I love about geocaching. Seeing the moratorium and a possible end to challenges was extremely discouraging to me. If they go away, this game will be greatly diminished for me. What I love:

They are "challenging." There are far too many aspects of this game that are not difficult. Challenges, by definition, are probing, something to rise to. When people complain about things being too hard, I always fall back on the name of this type of cache. It's supposed to be a challenge. I personally love this aspect because they are motivating, they cause me to look around the area, state, and world for specific things, they give me a sense of accomplishment, they allow creativity in a realm of geocaching that no other type allows (some challenges think of finds to collect in extremely clever ways), they punctuate the tedium of a sea of traditional caches. Simply put, they offer something no other type of cache offers.

Nothing about challenge caches as a subset of caches. Certainly there are challenges I think are subpar or even inane, but that pertains to every type of cache, too, so it does not reflect on the challenge cache in a vacuum.

Not much. An icon would be nice for those who want to search for them or to ignore them. An attribute at the very least. From the discussions I have monitored and had with reviewers and players, it seems the biggest problem with challenges at the moment is "time." To me, this problem arises because of the structure of Groundspeak/geocaching/reviewing. Having volunteers take care of reviewing and the "subjective" decisions when it comes to challenges is simply not the right way to go about it. If appeals are taking too much time from lackeys, then it seems someone should be hired to handle challenge caches, much like specific people handle earth caches (I know they are volunteers). Heck, I would be willing to handle challenge cache reviewing and appeals for the company for $15 an hour. Reviewing is too big a job and responsibility for it to actually not be a job. Hire a Challenge Czar and we'll keep the type of caches most of the community loves.

Challenges that are unique, creative, and challenging. I don't understand the critique of things being too hard or the cache owner even having to complete the requirements per se. They are called "challenges" for the purpose of putting a challenge out there for cachers. Just because one person or two or many cannot complete a challenge is not a good reason for that challenge not to exist. Let's aspire to big things.

I don't avoid any. In fact, I have never come across a challenge and thought it too difficult. Maybe I won't qualify for them all, but they push me to try.

Most of all that they provide cachers with another choice.

They provide cachers with the opportunity to parse the 2.6 million available hides to search for in some interesting and fascinating ways. In some cases, they provide an opportunity to expand the realm of what one has done with geocaching, or to push one's personal envelope. We know more than one cacher who has said that they were glad that they had gone after a D/T grid challenge, as it pushed them to go after caches that were beyond their comfort zone, and helped them build their self-confidence.

That they are poorly implemented and regulated within Groundspeak's system of guidelines and cache types. Challenge caches should be a distinct, different cache type from puzzle caches, so that they show up on the map with a different icon.

See above.

The following two questions are bothersome. There is no one good or bad type of challenge cache. As we have read through the ten pages of this thread thus far, the majority of complaints we have seen have been subjective. There are lots of caches out there we don't chase down, as they are unappealing to us, but that does not mean they are bad caches. All that it means is that they don't appeal to us, and we have the choice not to go after them. The same is true with a challenge. There is no requirement for anyone to take up a challenge when offered. It is our fear that Groundspeak will parse this thread and eliminate types of challenges based on the answers posted to the two questions below, so we choose not to do so.

Our most basic input with regard to this topic is that you should not take actions which limit people's choices with regard to geocaching, but rather, should seek to expand the definition of what geocaching can be, and let folks pursue those areas of the hobby that appeal the most to them. Separate out challenge caches as a new type. Then seek a more visionary approach and a less controlling one with regard to challenge caches, as with all cache types. No doubt this path would create some unique and difficult software programming challenges at Groundspeak, as you deal with how to implement a new cache type, and convert existing challenge caches over to that type. We hope you will rise to that challenge, and avoid the easy path of just eliminating them.

Challenges are perhaps the main thing that keeps geocaching alive and fresh. I would always try and find a geocache if I take a trip in a new area. But with a challenge in mind I will make myself get out of the house to fill a calendar day, take a trip to neighboring states to find the oldest cache active there, try to visit all 50 states, find every cache in Manhattan, etc, etc.

Challenges also keep things fun when you have to find caches with animals in the title, or with phobias, or with the colors of the rainbow, or just starting with letters that spell your town name. Not all of them are hard and they can simply be fun.

There is probably too much vagueness about them and is entirely up to the CO to police the finds. Also the ratings tend to vary quite a bit, but that's something true of most caches.

Having their own category (while I am aware of the issues this may raise) seems an inevitable evolution.

Ideally, a challenge cache should not be created without a challenge "checker". Logging a find will automatically trigger that checker and won't be allowed unless the checker is passed. The output of the checker will be attached to the log entry automatically. Yes, that would require people to write checkers and it won't be easy for some, but starting out with a library of examples will make things easier. You could even have someone at Groundspeak write checkers upon request, with the understanding that it will clearly take longer for that to happen.

I already mentioned some above. I like hard challenges that require one to visit x states in a day or find multiple cache types in a day or complete fizzy grid, jasmer challenge, etc. But I totally enjoy fun ones that just have you spell "Hong Kong-er" with cache finds or find 24 pairs of animals to rescue in a Noah's ark.

Delorme challenge has never appealed to me :). But that doesn't mean it's not appealing to others. I don't plan to find every cache in the world or every challenge. If someone enjoys it, I don't mind it's out there.

As a finder, they motivate me to try things I may not have attempted otherwise, like travel longer distances, attempt higher terrain caches, push myself out of my regular comfort zone, ect.

As a cache owner, they give me a chance to get creative and present a cache that maybe isn't available anywhere else. It allows me to test my abilities against other cachers in a positive, creative way.

There is no requirement that forces a cache owner to have completed all of the requirements of his/her cache prior to publishing. I can put out a challenge with some crazy, unobtainable requirements, but if I haven't already completed the challenge requirements myself, then what right would I have to expect other cachers to complete them?

I'd like to see a new cache type. That may be next to impossible, given the technological limits... so I would be happy with a new attribute to denote a challenge cache. At least any new caches would be searchable. And again, I would like to see a requirement that forces a cache owner to have completed the challenge themselves before being allowed to publish.

I don't have a favorite type. I tend to enjoy caches I have a chance of qualifying for eventually, as opposed to those I personally cannot complete due to physical limitations.

I don't actively avoid any challenges. If I cannot complete the requirements for some reason, I SIMPLY DON'T ATTEMPT IT. I don't know why others feel that they have an absolute right to get EVERY cache. Some caches aren't for me. I understand that, and I certainly don't have a problem with it. If I can't climb trees, I won't go after a tree climbing challenge. If I can't swim, I won't go after a swimming challenge. If I'm not smart enough to solve a puzzle, I'll accept that. It's not hard to understand.

Nothing.

Most seem to be the owners way of 'showing off' all the time they have on their hands. "Look, I had the time and money to cache in 10 states in 10 days, did you?". Few that i have come across are real 'accomplishments' beyond that.

Remove them, or change the icon to something that's even easier to ignore. Perhaps provide an option to permanently hide them from view.

None.

All of them. They make the ignore list when I notice them.

1) I like that certain caches has to be found in order to be completed.

2) I don't like the challenge that don't have anything to do with geocaching.

3) I would like to see a different icon for challenges so they're easier to spot especially in a foreign country, not everyone uses attributes

4) my favorite challenges is finding poker hands as geocache types (GC42MRC)

5) I try to avoid challenges that are just a challenge with no link back to Geocaching

What do you like most about challenge caches? Some challenges stimulate me to do caches I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. But honestly, I don't like challenge caches too much.

What do you not like about challenge caches? Geocaching is about the golden rule to find a cache and sign a log. Period. That rule should be be held true. Challenges break this rule and that I don't like at all.

Some fundamental statistic challenges, e.g. the 81 grid, could easily be replaced by a system-wide souvenir rewarded automatically. We do not need additional challenges for that issue. Statistic cachers could go for a sensible selection of adorable souvenirs instead.

Abolish them. We do not need them.

I favor the "back to the root" approach. Too many cache types, too many rules spoil the game instead of improving it. Hide a cache, find a cache, sign a cache.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? The are too many absurd and extreme challenges.

1.My favorite part of Challenge caches is being qualified for them.

2.I don’t like the work and time involved to create the “proof” of qualification.

I don’t like having to provide the date I found each cache that qualifies me for the challenge.

3.Changes I’d like to see are:

A.New ATTRIBUTE for challenge caches (a new icon just sets up for a discrepancy between old and new challenges)

B.Acceptable for CO to claim a find on their Challenge cache (must qualify and make a separate trip to the cache)

C.CO NOT have a qualify for a Challenge BEFORE it will be published

D.Groundspeak provide solvers like on Project-GC or GSAK macros

E.You must complete the challenge BEFORE signing the log.

F.For complicated (I know it’s subject to interpretation) challenges, a free solver must be available

Possibilities: (not recommended by me)

A.Make new challenges a new icon…..NO proximity requirements, Qualify on honor system

B. New challenges can only use a cachers “Statistics” to prove completion.

4. My favorite challenge cache types are Delorme, State All Counties and County Map Challenges.

5. I avoid “streak” challenges but don’t see any need to eliminate or disallow streak challenges.

Restating something that we've posted a few times since this thread began, if you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches.

This is not a place to respond to other users' thoughts or suggestions. For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread.

When you post in this User Insights thread, please only answer the below questions. Any extraneous comment is subject to strict moderation.

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015. For more information about the challenge cache moratorium, see the Help Center article.

Er , the challenge ?! An incentive to set a short term caching goal that I might not have thought of for myself.

I'm not keen on the 'look at me' type of challenge, which seem to be little more than showing off something the cache setters are proud of having done.

I don't much like seeing a whole mass of challenges in an area either.

A distinction in icon or attribute so I'm not misled into thinking I'm going to need to do a puzzle at home first. Otherwise I think they are fine . I'm happy to ignore challenges I don't want to do, and am not offended or annoyed by having challenges around that are beyond my ability.

I also think that signing the cache log then writing a note saying you will turn it into a find when you qualify at a later date is a very strange idea - qualify then find , otherwise the cache find date is uncoupled from the logging requirements.

If you could describe your favourite (corrected your spelling for you there )challenge cache type, what would it be?

One which encourages me to try something a little different or more difficult than I would usually attempt, gives me a different focus for a while. Qualifying for challenge caches started me off looking for caches unfound for over a year : turns out many of those caches are excellent!

Overly complex challenges involving a certain number of caches (or cache types) in a day for a continuous streak - I've got a life ...

Anything where it takes more than two careful reads of the page to work out what on earth the requirements are.

I mistakenly put my answers into the General Discussion on Challenge Caches so I will post them properly now:

Challenge caches give me a goal to shoot for in caching. It adds great challenge and excitement to a sport that could otherwise grow monotonous or unchallenging. It may take me a few weeks to a few years to meet the criteria in a challenge, but if this is something I relish doing, I should be able to be challenged and work for it. Some challenges I may never reach or succeed in, but I will not complain and stand in the way of another cacher would might be able to overcome the odds, execute complex planning and manage to hit the target.

Most challenges are well thought out - in my area (and I may just be lucky), the COs who put out challenges complete them prior to publishing them and show that it is possible to accomplish, even if it might not be for me. I cannot think of something that I do not LIKE about these particular caches. Like all things caching, there are challenges that I will go for and ones I will not. It is all my choice.

The only things that I would recommend changing about geocaching are these:

a) I would like to keep the icon as an Unknown, but like Benchmarks they could also give a Challenge Cache icon in your stats that will not count towards your numbers. That way you are credited with the smiley on an Unknown (which is definitely the icon they belong under as they are as varied and numerous as snowflakes) but will be able to keep up with how many you have found on your Stats page. This way nothing has to be archived, changed or renamed and reclassified. A simple "challenge" attribute could trigger this Challenge icon to appear once found.

b)I would also like to make it easier to post or confirm your completion of a challenge. However, I am assuming that this would be too work/programming/server intensive, so I am happy to keep the confirmation process as is. It just takes a little effort and is similar to Earthcache or Virtual confirmations to a CO.

My favourite type of challenge cache is one that on the outset looks impossible until you set the planning wheeling in motion and discover that it in fact IS possible with some hard work and perseverance. Nothing satisfies a Challenge cacher more than seeing this plan through to the end and being able to log the cache.

I will avoid a challenge cache that I deem not challenging or not well thought out. Again, I am lucky in my area as there are COs who are meticulous about completing the challenge before issuing it and who go out of their way to help and explain the challenge if there is any confusion.