Challenge Caches

Frau Potter

What do you like most about challenge caches?

I really enjoy completing challenge caches where I need to plan ahead to find particular caches to complete them - this adds extra enjoyment to the caching experience and a bigger sense of achievement when the goal is reached.

What do you not like about challenge caches?

I enjoy the whole experience but would like to be able to identify them with a separate icon.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

The icon - adding a separate icon so they can be identified separately from a puzzle

Being able to log before qualification causes confusion about what the date of the find actually is - this needs clarification as some cachers change the original note to found and others add a found at later date.

maybe a completely new logging system for challenges could be used 1) to be able to log qualified but not found 2) log found but not qualified 3) log as found and qualified. This would make the logging slightly different for this cache type. The find count would not go onto your stats until you log type 3 (found and qualified).

If you could describe your favourite challenge cache type, what would it be?

A challenge which can be worked at over an unspecified length of time - where I gradually get closer to being able to qualify and have to plan ahead to find a cache containing the required criteria. Something I need to work towards rather than already pre-qualifying by looking at stats. I like the fact that there is plenty of variety in challenge caches and I can pick those I want to do and ignore others I don't. It would be a shame if there were limitations added to challenge caches which stopped new ideas.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

I do not avoid any and think they should be all allowed

- The condition, which makes me strive to overcome the obstacle

- It encourages more articulate/better logging, which in its turn is encouraging for COs

- No way to filter

- The fuzzy rules on logging: note/no note... and which date

- sometimes they encourage bookeeping and a become a race of numbers more than geocaching and adventure

- add an atribut of challenge or make it a form of global virtual souverniers or make it another cache type. Of these I believe the souvernir option is he best.

- in order to place a challenge CO should fulfill the criteria

- for complex challenges a checker should be incorporated

- a way of avoiding challenge saturation for an area (like for earth caches)

- a guide for setting the d/t-rating... I find it wrong that a challenge requiering 5 t5-caches have t=5 when it's reachable from a wheelchair...

- I'd prefer challenge trails not to be permitted ...

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

- Bingo types which can be fulfilled different ways

- Generally the ones that you can work towards over a length of time, but you do NOT have to exclusively plan for in a certain number of days

- Challenge about visiting caches with a certain topic (about - visit 10 hills higher than 1000 m with cache or for example challenge visit cache near 20 castles, or 20 caves etc.

- Lonelys - since they encourage cachers to visit forgotten ones

- If I qualify I generally log. But I don't like the pyramide ones or generally those that "force" me to do cercain caches a certain number of days in a row.

1. What do you like most about challenge caches?

They are challenging? I don't know, i don't do them deliberately. I just log them when i see i comply with the namend goal.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches?

I don't like that some challenges have insane goals, like 20 T5 in 24 h or a streak 500+ days...

Also I don't like that you can't use 3rd party tools like PGC.

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Maybe you could introduce a kind of difficulty level? As example the 20 T5 in 24h Challenge.

Easy could be: 5 T5 in 24h

Medium could be: 10 T5 in 24h

Hard/Expert could be 20 T5 in 24h.

With this, also cacher could do the challenge who don't/can't do 20 T5 in 24h...

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

I like these bingo-kind challenge where every cacher can decide for themself, which row or colum they do...

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Such challenges like 20 T5 in 24 h or a streak 500+ days.

I like that it gives things more of a challenge. A "game-within-the-game" if you will.

That they do not have their own icon or the ability search just for challenge caches.

I would like to see them have their own special icon, ability to search for just challenge caches, or maybe a souvenir when said challenge is completed and logged. ie Fizzy challenge in NH would have a different souvenir than the Fizzy challenge in MA

I really enjoyed the local challenge where I had to find a cache in every town in the state I live in. The CO created a "calculator" that showed caches in each town and filled in the map with each new town found. See NH 234 Challenge GC36PAC

I don't avoid any of the challenges in my state but some are harder to complete and take more time. ie. find all of the caches in 2004 or Find all of the caches that were published before you became a member.

I live in Hawaii and have only done challenge caches here. They were placed by geocachers who are very good at creating caches and have put a great deal of thought into their submissions. Unlike some, I have only been exposed to well-done challenges so I'm a bit limited in my experience.

Challenges are a big step beyond regular caches and even puzzle caches. They are a way to show accomplishments beyond numbers. Since they require more work than regular caches they provide a great sense of achievement when completed. I've been caching since 2003 so it's nice to have something that goes beyond the basics.

As others have said, they don't have their own icon and therefore cannot be searched by cache type. (If this changes it would be nice if Groundspeak would offer the COs of existing challenges the option of changing their cache type (after approver review) and have those cache types changed so that those of us who have completed challenges can receive the new icon.) There also are no guidelines so I can see where people could make some rather lame challenges. I think maybe the approval process should be vastly different than regular caches. Maybe have a number of different approvers reviewing submissions to ensure that they are valid challenges (with different time frames for approval, of course).

Challenges should be hard but not unfeasable. They should be focused on accomplishments over time, not challenges that are based on time restrictions. There should be guidelines for the requirements and it should show some valid accomplishment. Ex: clearing a specific geographical area, completing sections within statistics (blackout for 366 days of the year, difficulty/terrain, etc). I also think that there should be some way of verifying that a person actually completed the challenge (another reason why I don't like the "find such and such within a 24 hour period"

I am assuming that the person submitting the challenge would be required to actually complete the challenge themselves.

Again, ones that show accomplishment. They should not be something that one could complete in a short period of time - it should take work and planning to meet the requirements. I've done All Pau challenges (finishing all the caches on a particular island), attributes challenge, I'm working on 366, difficulty/terrain, and Jasmer. Jasmer and 366 are perfect examples of what I would look for in a challenge cache.

Since I haven't been exposed to too many challenges outside of my state there haven't been any that I've avoided. Reading through other posts about some challenges that are out there I don't like idea of basing a challenge on numbers or time (speed) - ex: X number of D5 caches in a 24-hour period. These types of challenges would be prone to Cache-Cheating (sad but true). A better alternative would be to find X number of D5 caches without the time constraint. I'm on the fence about streaks - I'm not sure that should be a challenge.

Edited by Unimogger

2. What do you like most about challenge caches?

It is always nice to have a long term goal, and challenge caches offer that

3. What do you not like about challenge caches?

I'm not too keen on time-bound caches (# caches on a day, # days caching ...), but ok, I'm not keen on T5 caches either, and that doesn't mean I don't think they should exist

The main issue I see is that they require "extra attention" from the CO. I own a Challenge cache, and feel obliged to check whether the finders really fulfill the requirements, but anyway, the same should apply to checking whether somebody signed the log on a tradi. So, basically, there's not that much (if anything) I don't like about Challenge caches.

Actually I was planning for 2 YEARS a Challenge cache, well, I'll fulfill the ALR in two weeks time ..and then I won't be able to get it published :(

4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

I'd love to see a unique icon for Challenge caches, rather than the confusing question mark symbol

5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

The non time-bound ones: # of countries, # of caches of type x collected, # of km's travelled, # of counties or regions in a country, Jasmer related, 366 ...

6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

As you can expect ... the time-bound ones, they add "stress" to my caching life B)

Edited by Ibar

I really enjoy doing challenges especially those that are something different.

I like creative and fun challenges.

I like challenges that challenge me!!

I don't like challenges that I'm already qualified for (where is the "challenge" in that?).

I don't like challenges that are exactly the same as or very similar to others

I don't like the fact that some people pre-sign the log and then turn it into a find many months later when they have qualified. Finds should only be logged for the day you found them, otherwise its a slippery slope (e.g cachers filling in a day on their grid, or claiming a huge numbers of finds on a day simply by sitting at home turning a note into a find)

When setting a challenge you should be allowed to say that past finds don't count (to prevent people pre-qualifying). I know that the argument against this is that it might mean its more difficult for somebody who has cleared out all of their nearby caches. But why does it matter if some people can achieve a challenge more easily than others. For example I find it very hard to qualify for challenges where you have to find various caches in different countries but I don't lose any sleep over that.

I know that reviewers can reject a challenge on the grounds that its the same as another, but this doesn't seem very well policed. There are loads of challenges that are just minor variations on the same theme.

A new icon for challenges would be good too (a subtype of unknowns perhaps with a different coloured question mark)

I like creative challenges, where you think "I wish I'd thought of that". The ones that people talk excitedly about at Caching Meets.

I like challenges that take me to places that I might not otherwise go. I know some people say that challenges shouldn't change their usual caching behaviour, but I think the opposite - it should.

My slogan: "A challenge should be a challenge". I think I'll get a T-shirt with that on.

Those that require long caching streaks, huge amounts of caches in a day, travelling hundreds and hundreds of miles etc. I travel enough as it is - save the planet!

> Effective April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in place on all new challenge cache submissions.

Very happy about this. To be very upfront, we do not like challenge caches and think they have had a negative impact on the game.

> What do you like most about challenge caches?

In short, nothing. If a challenge cache comes out, we check and see if we qualify. If we don't, the cache immediately goes onto the ignore list never to be viewed again. If we do qualify, we put together the qualification paperwork and it simply becomes another traditional to pick up whenever we are in the area.

> What do you not like about challenge caches?

1) Caches that are created so that a challenge cache can be met. They are generally pointless simple flyerbox or LPC caches which don't enhance geocaching much.

2) The misrating of the details of a cache (like terrain, or difficulty, or size) so that they can be used to fill another cacher's "grid" (which really only became an issue during challenge caches) or other challenge cache requirements. A magnetic baggie in a realtor box is a Large? - seriously?

3) The misrating of the challenge cache itself. You found 5 caches each 5 diff and 5 terrain - congrats - does that mean this magnetic key box behind the guardrail you just drove up to is worth a 5/5 ?

4) If the challenge cache was in an interesting spot and you decided to go there (like geocaching is supposed to do), you are only able post a note, not a find - so you have to ignore it somehow until (or if) you qualify. Who wants to keep revisiting these cache pages time over time?

5) They would force us to cache the way the cache owner wants us to cache - not the way we like to cache. So we really have no choice but to ignore them (thank goodness the ignore list is infinite)

> What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

We would like them effectively removed. All existing challenge caches can stay with the understanding that they can be logged as found without having to meet the aditional logging requirements. We often hear "if you don't like a cache, then don't do it". Let's turn that around and say if you want to do the challenge, go ahead - if you don't, just log a find and continue with your day. Afterall, it's not a competition, right?

> If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

The ones we already qualify for, because that makes the challenge cache a traditional cache.

> What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

All that we don't qualify for at time of publication. 95% of our ignore list is challenge caches.

We hope we've expressed our views without unnecessary vitriol.

(we deleted a lot of stuff)

> If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

The ones we already qualify for, because that makes the challenge cache a traditional cache.

I didn't answer this question in my earlier post, so I'll hook onto this one. I feel the same way. My "favorite" cc type would be those I qualify for, because then they become a traditional. I can enjoy it like I would another traditional cache.

When Project-GC says I qualify for one, I put it on my list of caches to find. It doesn't enhance my geocaching experience to have another cache acknowledge that I found, for example, 100 cemetery caches. Finding good cemetery caches was the rewarding experience (the bad ones were not rewarding even if they helped me qualify for the challenge cache). However, the challenge cache may end up rewarding, if it proves to be a well-maintained, swag-size, quality container in a nice location.

In first place, sorry for my poor English.

1.- What do you like most about challenge caches?

I like to know that i advance litlle by little in my statistics.

2.- What do you not like about challenge caches?

I have geocaches near to my house that I never will log because my geocaching style is more relaxed. I want find it and log it.

3.- What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

- I make a new geocache type.

- I allow to log the container as find it and see in the map a smile in it. Then, if the geocacher makes the challenge this geocache counts double or another extra condition.

4.- If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

/

My favourite challenges are the challenges that not change my geocaching style. In other words, the challenges "find X geocaches with X condition (100 misterys, 123 earthcaches, 5/5 difficulty, with an animal in the title...)

5.- What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

I avoid the challenges that makes the time a variable: "120 misterys in a single day, 5 cachés in 5 countries in a day, 1111 or more caches in a year, 50 consecutive days with find it"... I think that this challenges change the geocaching style of many people, and this makes sometimes that I can't enjoy of this game.

Reminiscing about finding a specific cache. Caching with friends and the stories that stand the test of time. Remember, when...

Hey I like bragging about my finds....

I really like the cache pages that have GSAK macros built to determine qualifications.

Reviewers inconsistent in cache publication based on their interpretation of guidelines. Friends have attempted to publish caches, exact copy of a published cache, in home state after completing a challenge in another state.

Some caches require so much data mining, takes so much time.

Caches that you require you to drastically change caching style such as x streak of no finds. With that though I can ignore that cache.

Also some challenges are poorly worded and difficult to understand.

Establishing the difficulty level of a challenge cache is subjective. Discussion points: What are the guidelines for each difficulty level? Cache density varies from area to area, finding 100 caches in a day is no issue in geographic areas with power trails, but placing a challenge cache is a cache barren area stating you need 100 finds, plus this cache is not always practical.

Distance traveled, number of qualifying finds, certain stats of previous finds?

Most challenge cache placements are a typical cache placement, so why over rate the cache placement?

Ground speak not providing prior notice that challenge cache publication will be suspended.

Separate icon.

Volunteer reviewers applying same guidelines.

Clear appeal guidelines by CO when publication denied.

Some challenge caches are really cache placement generators, which benefits and can hinder all cachers.

Locally-oriented challenges like "find 100 caches in this city/county", or even worse: "find 50% of the active caches in this or that county"

Caching is a voluntary activity, each person can choose what, when, where, and how they cache. I do not have to find all the caches.

I also like that challenge caches allow me to set goals and accomplish the goal.

Edited by accordiongal

Everything! I love setting myself notional challenges, hoops to jump through to keep me interested and take me in different directions with the game. If I’ve had enough fun doing something or it’s provided me with a bit of interest, I’ll set a challenge cache for others! I have 77 currently (and looks like that will be the case for some time to come…) dating back to 2011. But as well as setting challenges, I love completing them, especially ones that I have to consciously work at.

As I said in one of my logs, “There are lots of different challenges: some that require lots of planning - either spontaneously (like this) or waiting until the stars are aligned (like this); some are always in the back of my mind, and gradually chipped away at (like this); some required sustained commitment (like this or this); then there are those which I auto-qualify for (which is a bonus, but not as satisfying or fun).”

I love logging challenges, especially convoluted and laborious ones! I really enjoy re-reading logs and remembering all the great places and adventures I’ve had with this geocaching malarkey.

I love that challenges celebrate the diversity of geocaching, and as such offer suggestions to try a different aspect of the game.

The strong negative feelings that some cachers have about challenges. Just in the same way as not all fiendish puzzles are for everyone, or high terrain caving caches don’t hold universal appeal, it would be great if people could accept a wide range of challenges without feeling affronted if they don’t all float their personal boat. Also, as a challenge cache owner, lazy logging where people don’t bother fulfilling the logging requirements.

I’ve thought about this a lot and I think there are both pros and cons to challenge caches having their own icon, not least the difficulty a retrospective change causes. I think probably the best compromise is if they have an icon that is a subset of the Mystery icon – e.g. a red question mark – in the same way that CITO, Mega and Giga events sit under the same umbrella of Event type caches.

My favourite would definitely be a challenge that I have to consciously work for and that holds some appeal. I love pick-and-choose challenges, where you have to fulfil say five of seven criteria, so you can pursue your own interests around a theme, like this one, this one, or one of mine.

Personally, now I avoid long streak challenges (unless I have already qualified). But that is personal preference; I can accept that not all challenges are for everyone. I have some that are on the back boiler and am happy to accept that I will semi-consciously chip away at them for some time to come (and may never qualify!).

Just that - they are a challenge. I like all caches I find to challenge me in some way, physically or mentally, or else to be interesting by showing me something or somewhere new. A good challenge cache leads me down a new path & gives a focus to my caching until I have completed the challenge. Then the location of the container should be appropriate to the challenge & provide more entertainment. Challenge caches are another layer of fun, keeping interest alive in the game.

Nothing. If the particular challenge does not interest me then I don't have to do it, same as any other cache type.

Either a new icon or a sub-icon if keeping them under the Mysteries umbrella would cause less disruption.

One which takes me caching to new areas but not prohibitively far away. eg GC2JR7P Scotland. The Challenge. Also Earthcache challenges. Also ones which require me to find remote caches eg GC46ZQ2 Remote Cache Challenge

Ones which don't seem to be related to where or why I cache, like words from songs in cache titles. Also streaks - don't like the pressure, I want to cache at my own speed (also these are open to pretence by cachers without integrity). Ones that require me to go to different countries. (But I'm happy for these to be out there for those who do travel a lot - that's fine - one of the best things about geocaching is that there is variety & everyone can choose to do the caches that appeal to them.)

Effective April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in place on all new challenge cache submissions. It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings.

For more information about the pause, see the Help Center article.

For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed. If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines.

Please let us know:

It opens me (or probably some significant group of geocachers) new impulses to seek challenge in some not to frequent localities or prepare some interesting challenge caches for other geocachers.

These one with an amount in some specific time (e. g. 300 days strike, or on every 1000 caches to have one matrix, or 3000 caches in a year, 800 in a day and so on.)

Maybe new icone (symbol) - it is really not typical mystery cache. And some better reglements (rules) which help the reviewers and the challenge-founders. And condition that the owner fullfils the challenge (it is not to be difficult to have some idea about thousands different challenge caches but to be able to achieve it myself).

These one, which take you to some interesting places - visit 100 caches at castles, visit at least three types of caches in 10 regions in one country and so on.

The types, which seems to be on the border of regular possibility (so when is condition, you need to found in a day every minute one cache - it is really impossible for the nicks with one person and nicks that include two person or more (team) are naturally able to achieve it, but not together on every cache).

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015.

From the day I started caching and realized there were people out there who enjoyed pushing themselves to do things they normally wouldn't have done, I sought out every challenge cache I could find. I even made a bookmark list of all challenge caches in Ohio. I try hard to see if I can meet a challenge and most of the time I succeed, and I love it.

The way people fight over rules or are not keeping up with the rules of challenge caches. I hate the fighting and appeals and arguments that are caused by challenges not being understood. But this is not a problem exclusive to challenge caches. I equally hated when a new player searched for my puzzle and hurt themselves not finding it in the posted location. I hate when a multi is logged by someone who only found the first stage because they don't know what a multi is. I hate when someone throws down a replacement for a difficult traditional and the next 10 people sign the throw down before I realize that some cacher who thought they were being helpful ruined the hide for the next 10 people. So basically, I hate when people have their feelings unintentionally hurt by ANYTHING, not just challenges. But, in a game this widespread that new people join daily without being taught the rules, that is to be expected.

No matter what is done, people will still do things wrong either due to ignorance or out of laziness/anger/bitterness/etc. But having something that clearly distinguishes a challenge cache from another kind of cache would be helpful, like a new icon, or a required attribute, etc. As a programmer I know this isn't as easy as a lot of people assume it will be, but the benefit of continuing having achievements people can reach for will draw many achievement driven players (like me) deeper into the game and keep them around longer.

Challenges that take me to a new level. There are some challenges that when I first started seemed impossible, but which I have now completed. There are some challenges out there right now that seem near impossible, so I ignore them for now and I will revisit them later to see if my natural caching habits have brought me to a place where pushing to complete the challenge seems reasonable. And I love challenges that are a bit more elite - only a few people achieve it, and I'm proud to be one of those people. I also love challenges that teach me a new way to look at the game - recent examples: Find a cache that hasn't been found in a year, find a cache in cities that begin with each letter of the alphabet, but make sure they are cities and not towns (I LOVED learning the difference when I saw this challenge, so I made a similar one myself!), or find caches hidden from every month since geocaching began.

I don't AVOID any challenges, but there are some that are poorly made and arbitrary. For instance - finding 2000 geocaches is a cool challenge, finding 2154 (just because it's how many you happen to have when you placed the challenge) is poorly made. To me those kinds of challenges are very challenge-creator centric (I have 2154, I'm putting out a challenge to brag about it!) ALL challenges are essentially for bragging rights (to some level), but so is having a running count of your finds prominently displayed on your profile. I don't mind the bragging, but the self-centered nature of an arbitrary number is something I don't like.

Quick side note: I love EVERY challenge cache in the Central Ohio area. I'm proud to live in an elite area where caching is pushed to its limits.

They get me out there and to places I might have otherwise not explored. Fits my natural tendency to want to "check off boxes".

I am not fond of challenges with date/time restrictions/requirements - forcing folks to use gas unnecessarily, which is not environmentally friendly.

I don't like having to create bookmark lists of the finds and searching through my finds to see if I qualify. It just takes too much time.

To me, most challenges are simply a drive to fill some sort of statistic. As such, I don't think challenge caches should be caches at all. I don't like that some wonderful caching spots are locked up with final challenge caches. It prevents those who are not into challenges from ever experiencing that location. So again, I don't think challenges should be caches. Some sort of way to list them as a statistic or achievement would be preferable. However, assuming that is not going to change, I would like them to have their own icon.

I do the ones I think I can achieve and ignore the ones I can't.

I do the ones I think I can achieve and ignore the ones I can't.

Edited by jomouse

It's a different aspect of finding cache. By definition, different is interesting, so keeps my interest in the game alive. People are always thinking of new ways to challenge you ...

A challenge cache often exists to make you do something that you would not ordinarily do. More interest

Nothing really. Implementation is a bit hit and miss at the moment (but that's why you're doing this!) See Q3 also

Some way if identifying them; either by a new type or attribute (I would have thought the former, but I'm no expert)

Resolve the confusion as to whether the effort required to achieve the challenge makes the D higher or the T higher. Different COS have different views on this. (I would have thought it makes the D higher)

No favourite

None. Some look impossible now, but ...

Anyway, like any cache they are all optional, if you don't like them put them on your ignore list

Effective April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in place on all new challenge cache submissions. It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings.

For more information about the pause, see the Help Center article.

For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed. If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines.

Please let us know:

I like the grid, lonely cache, and alphebitical type challenges.

I dislike challenges that encourage cachers to drive out day after day and waste fuel just to keep a streak alive. I also dislike types that tend to turn caching into a contest.

I would like to see the gas-wasting type of challenges discontinued.

I particularly like the Jasmer challenge because it took me to some great places that I never would have seen otherwise.

I avoid streak type challenges.

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015.

Please let us know:

1.What do you like most about challenge caches?

Requires a bit of planning to make sure that you qualify to sign the cache log as a "Find"

2.What do you not like about challenge caches?

Challenge caches that many people cannot qualify for unless you are in the 10K range of finds or if you are a world traveler!

Like so many with certain words in the title. If you cache in an area where people give their caches unusual names, it works. Even using GSAK with your finds, you can possibly find those you qualify for, but in order to qualify, Cache Owners have to publish new caches with unusual names or strings of unrelated words ... birds, fish, negatives, fruit, zoo animals, A-Z .... and usually create non-trad caches.

Also, it is difficult to ascertain that you can ever qualify for some challenges, since you cannot easily do searches to find caches that will meet the requirements.

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

That the terrain rating for a challenge cache indicates the difficulty in meeting the requirements, rather than 1 or 1.5. If I have to drive quite a distance in order to meet the requirements, it should be rated higher than a 1.5!

4.If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Grid of Puzzles, realistic number of Caches in a day, realistic number of icon types in a day. Or, for example a unique combination of icons: Like Paracelsus' Pi Day Challenge requiring 5 different icon TYPES: 3 of 1, 1 other, 4 of another, 1 other, and 5 of another .... 3.1415 ... A realistic goal for ONE DAY ... only 14 finds, and with only 5 types,

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Those requiring too many different icons (like 12)in a day, especially when it's easy to clear out a local area of earth/virtual, no webcams within hundreds of miles, limited special icons like HQ or Mega ...

An extraordinary number of caches in a day ... Did a year streak. That's long enough for me. But those who brag about several hundreds of finds in a day, ... Not fun at all!

- It adds en extra dimension to the caching. They are otherwise like all other caches. Log them if you can and want. It's like a T5, don't log (or try) if you're not capable...

- It's frustrating when I'm not able to qualify ;-)

- Add an attribute for them

- I like all of them.

- All those that force me to avoid logging the caches I like to (e.g. 100 finds in a row that are non trad)

1. I just like them! they are the ice on the cake. There are a lot of traditionals and a lot them are trails over 100+ caches. A challanges gives a goal for the longer term.

2. if I don't like the Challange, than I don't do it. Also like the T5/D5, or swimming under bridges.

3. I would like to see an other icon with it

4. A longer term goal, which gives a 'wow, I did it!' feeling

5. none

I am very disappointed that challenge caches are on hold and new ones won't be available.

I love doing them. Geocaching is my excuse for hiking and traveling. Challenge caches are a major positive of geocaching. I use GSAK and enjoy figuring out whether I am eligible for the find.

I am one find away from Jasmer x 4.

The fact that they are on hold. Every cache does not have to be easy for every person. I love the variety. It seems like Groundspeak wants to make every cache easy for everyone. If a challenge cache is found by one person, then it's still worth having it as part of geocaching. There's a cache on the Space Station. I won't be able to find it. That's OK. There was a lot of publicity and it's a talking point with non-cachers.

Allow more challenges to be published. Setup a volunteer team that specializes in challenge caches.

I'll start with some background on me. I have been caching for 8 years and yes, I am a certifiable challenge hound. I have logged finds on over 400 of them and own 18 of them.

They get me to look at caching in ways that I might not have done otherwise. They encourage me to go new places and try different cache types. They keep the game interesting. I travel a lot for work and they give me a reason to get out of my hotel and explore.

People who whine that they are too hard and should be abolished. There are caches that I know I will never do because they involve technical climbing or some other skill that I'm not willing to acquire but that doesn't mean I want them to be removed or archived. This game has something for just about everyone. With over 2.6 million active caches we all have to choose which ones we are willing to spend our limited time doing. If geocaching consisted entirely of easy, in town traditionals I would have quit a long time ago. If there is an aspect of a challenge cache that you don't like ignore it and move on the way I ignore the many 1.5/1.5 traditionals that get published every month near my home.

They should have been given their own cache type icon years ago when ALRs were outlawed but that ship has sailed. Doing it now would mess up stats for too many people. The best solution seems to be a new attribute. The recent trend of requiring 10 "local" cachers that are qualified before the cache can be published needs to be eliminated. It's OK for challenges to be difficult. If you water down the game to the point where you seem to be headed then people will get bored after 6 months and quit.

The Jasmer. It requires planning, travel and honors the old caches from the early years of the game.

Streaks of finds. I know some people love them but they just aren't my thing. However, they are part of the diversity of the game and have every right to be included.

I like the idea to have additional goals to be reachable and let me think "Challenge accepted" when I see them.

Also, I can see them as a kind of bonus cache for any caches I find or also they let me think about caches nearby that I could focus on.

And yeah I also like the feeling of "I succeeded it and now I go to the container of the challenge cache and sign the logbook",

so it would be frustrating if you'd have the idea to substitute it by souvenirs.

(And furthermore I like it because there are even D5-Challenges needing a good planning and this way they are the only caches with difficulty level 5 that you can find even without any weird way of thinking)

I don't like it if they seem very disproportionate. In some cases the owners seem just to present themselves and what they reached in the last time.

And sometimes it sounds like "What I did last sunday". Especially challenges like "find a certain number of caches" in 24 hours - but even those challenges

can be interesting but in many cases they just flood the bank. 100 caches in one day is too much I think.

Maybe that owners don't just present themselves in making a challenge of the type "what I did last sunday" maybe you could introduce the rule that owners

still should have the challenge conditions fulfilled for a certain time before they can publish it.

I don't think they have to get a new icon because it would be problematic to change existing challenges backwards. And I think all existing challenges should stay

existing as they do now. But I would like maybe a new attribute.

Maybe you could introduce a rule that if a challenge with a certain theme is published, the same challenge just with a different number can't be

published within a radius of (maybe 5-10) kilometres, to prevent challenges only designed to outbid another challenge nearby.

And please no more challenges that are ensnaring people to do just an insane trip with spending more time on the expressway then caching outside (that in my opinion

only affects caches like "find a cache in every German Bundesland in 24 hours") If something has to fixed on a short time horizon, it should be approachable

by normal people maybe even with a bicycle. (so maybe also 3 countries in a day are ok - if you're at the right border of a country this is possible even by foot within 2 hours.

16 German Bundeslands are not, 100 caches in one day also is too exaggerated)

And any challenges saying "find x [certain condition] caches in a row" shouldn't be published any more because challenges shouldn't prohibit to log other caches in between.

All challenges that make fun when I'm fulfilling them. And there are many challenges are really funny.

Streaks if they are too long. Last summer I did a challenge that let me find a mystery cache 11 days in a row. But more than maybe 2-3 weeks would be too much for me. But that's also because I'm at university so I don't have time and energy to find a cache everyday for longer time.

"Find x caches within 24 hours" - I avoid them because x in most cases is chosen way too high.

I don't dislike them, but I don't like many of them. I do understand and accept that challenge caches can and do provide a motivational need for some cachers, allows some to push their comfort zone by trying new things, as well as keep cachers engaged in this hobby. Therefore, they fill a niche in the caching world just like puzzles, earthcaches or multis.

It's not that I don't like them. I just don't like that in order to complete many of them, it would cause me to change my caching style/habit:

In order to log a challenge cache, I need to see if I qualify first. That usually means spending too much time data-mining my stats. To me geocaching is about spending my free time getting outdoors and caching, not spending the free time I have data-mining my stats, creating bookmarks or whatnot, in order to log a cache.

Some caches are just crazy - almost to the point of stroking the ego of the CO that put it out. Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but really, finding 50 caches with an periodic element in the title? Now I need to target and find specific caches. It's made worse if they are caches I don't like to find (lamppost hides, residential street hides) in order to complete a challenge of this type.

Then there are the caches that require me to find X amount of caches in X amount of time frame (ex. 100/day). I'm a casual cacher. Sometimes I only pick up a handful in a day, sometimes a few more. I get out and find the amount of caches I want to find - which is usually not a lot as I'm combining caching with other activities (ex. bird watching) or I just don't have hours upon hours to cache. Now in order to log a find on this type of challenge cache, I need to cache on the COs terms, not my own.

Find a cache every day for X amount of days (streaks). Once again, I cache when I have the time - and that's not everyday or even every month. In order to log the challenge cache, I need to cache on the COs terms, not my own.

I also don't like the date restrictions on challenges - can only count caches found on/after publication date (grandfathered or not). What difference does it make if a cacher had an opportunity to complete a challenge prior to or after a publication date? The challenge was completed, and a publication date shouldn't diminish that fact.

I would like to see challenges have their own icon or some other way to distinguish them. It would make it far easier to see them to put them on my ignore list. As they are lumped under the catch all question mark, I have to read each cache page to find out if it's actually a puzzle or a challenge.

You could have an attribute, but I don't pay attention to them. Unless it's made as a mandatory attribute (and locked), I don't see how well it would work - some cachers just don't use attributes or they don't accurately use them now.

I would like to see challenge cache requirements clearly defined so there is little confusion of what needs to be completed in order to log it. Sometimes simpler is much better.

Not completing any challenges intentially (yet), I do have to say, I enjoy working on the classics - fizzy, delorme, jasmer, for example. Why? Because they are, to me, first and foremost geocaching oriented. There are no time/date limits, or crazy restrictions on completion. I can just go out and find caches - whenever and where ever I choose, slowly filling in a grid, or I can plan a major trip to bag it all in one day, week or whatever. There's no extraneous hoops to jump through, and no altering of my caching styles. Many of these types of challenges are in some form already tracked with GS stats so there is little of my time wasted on data-mining my stats. Any challenge that allows me to choose how, when, where I choose to geocache are my cup of tea.

What type of challenges do you avoid?

Any challenge that alters my caching style. All streaks (X amount of days in row), any that require X amount of finds in a specified period (ex. 100 in 24 hours), any that require me to data-mine or target specific names of caches (ex. 50 elements or 100 zoo animals). As a cacher, I cache the way I want/able to, when I want too, and as far or close to home as I want/able too. Any challenge that violates that, goes on my ignore list. Which sad to say, is many of them out there. I'm not interested in changing the way I cache just to log a find.

I dislike that it creates a cache that for some reason I am not allowed to find. Not a big deal if this cache is out in the woods somewhere, but it is bothersome if it is in the neighborhood park near your home and you can't even take your kids to find the cache. If it is a "challenge cache" then it should be in an out of the way location and not block the neighborhood park cache.

I also dislike the gimmikie "alphabet challenge" or other silly challenges. What's the point?

I feel that challenge caches need to go. I find the newer challenge caches kinda pushing the envelope too much. In other words, its getting harder and harder as the game go along and its almost to the point where its not fun anymore. The early days challenge caches was more straight forward and not so many stupid and confusing "rules".

Would love to see an in house achievement system that you earn a smiley for each achievement that you complete. (call it a new cache type) No need to have challenge caches that hog up all the good spots for non challenge finders.

I find some challenge caches is just to stroke the ego of the CO. Yes, you are hearing me right, some CO just love to be controlling and I see some of that behavior by looking up their challenge caches.

I see some pro and con of having an in house achievement system. The pro is that the playing level will be on the world wide level and not at a local level. The con is it would open the door for cheaters/padders but I see it anyway with the challenge caches we got now.

The best pro is that it will free up the reviewers valuable time if the challenge caches go away for good. As challenge caches get harder with "stupid" rules, reviewers are wasting too much time going back and forth with some hard nose CO.

1/What do you like most about challenge caches?

I like to work with goals not only my own goals, find a target and try to get to that happyplace

2/What do you not like about challenge caches?

... if they are to local so almost is only buddies that can log them

3/What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Clear Guidelines and RULES that is global so reviwers can/cant make misstakes now diffrent interpetations in diffrent countries

4/If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Can´t give one anwer to that , i like challenges that is demanding and rewarding so a simple 1/1 challenge with the cache in a amazing place or a hard 5/5 with the cache hight up in a tree... like them :)

5/What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Those that are to hard to get a grip on how to find out if you are qualified or not, i know of http://project-gc.com but that is just a way of yes/no not a solver to what is needed

1) I have a list of challenges I'm working on and this is one thing that motivates me to go out and cache. When I travel I create a list of caches I'm seeking by what ones will help me fullfill challenges I'm working on. It adds a new level to the game and keeps it interesting. Challenge caches give me something to work towards and I love moving them from my 'don't qualify' list to my 'qualify' list and then to my 'found' list.

The thrill of the hunt to fulfill the requirements. Sometimes it has been ongoing for months, maybe in competition with others.

One of the best things is when they give me a larger goal to work towards for a longer time period.

2) I don't like challenges with negative effects like "you have to find xxx mystery-caches in a row, no other caches between" or something like "your average Difficulty / Terrain has to be greater than 2" what means, that you have to avoid Caches with 1/1 or so for a while. But nevertheless, there are challenges that don't appeal to me, so what ? I don't do them. No one is forcing me to complete a challenge.

3) It would be nice, if there where a new Icon, or at least a new Attribute for better search.

4) I have no preference for some challenges, I like them all, more or less.

5) see Point 2)

I find them quite enjoyable and "challenging". They are in fact one of my favorite types of caches. They can give you a specific goal and keep your interest peaked.

Ones that are difficult to understand or ambiguous.

Unlike many other posts I would like to see a new icon to make them easier to spot on the map. I generally avoid puzzle caches so having them same icon has me overlooking them.

I would also like an easier way to check you qualifications. Some are rather tedious and laborious to figure out if you qualify. Especially if you don't use GSAK. (And I don't) A checker of some sort would be immensely helpful. I've found some that the logging requirements far exceeded the challenge in difficulty.

I like the ones that challenge you to find various types or numbers of caches. The Fizzy and Jasmer challenges come immediately to mind. There are also "streaks" challenges that are indeed quite a challenge. But I generally like them all. There are some very fun and creative challenges as well. I have gone to quite some lengths to complete a few. They can keep you motivated.

I normally don't avoid any. Some I know I don't and probably won't qualify for anytime soon. But generally if I avoid one it's because I don't understand it or more likely can't figure out how to figure out if I qualify for it. There are several I know I probably qualify in my area but can't figure out how to find out if I've met the qualifications. For instance there are several A-Z county challenges in my surrounding counties. I "know" I must qualify for most as I have found most of the caches in those counties. However without the use of a GSAK macro (I don't use GSAK) I can't figure out how to know which caches would qualify for that particular challenge. Thus I haven't logged them. Searching through thousands of finds to get the letter "v" in a particular county would take a very long time indeed. In this case "doing" the challenge may actually be quite a bit easier than "logging" the cache with requirements. A checker would make this a much more pleasant task and keep you caching rather than searching through tons of logs for the right one. (Tedious)

I enjoy challenge caches that are (theoretically) achievable by ANY cacher, and not restrictive by design to a particular locale or cacher type. For example the Fizzy challenge.

A lot of challenge caches are far too exclusionary in nature and created "by buddies for buddies" to simply boost numbers in cliques and encourage bragging rights, and do not benefit the geocaching community as a whole. For example at MOGA 2013 there were TEN challenge caches created by the club hosting MOGA that year and most of the challenges were so ridiculously impossible to attain by most cachers that it was clear they were created specifically for certain individuals within that club. Plus we saw other caches hidden for the event that were manipulated strictly for the purpose of achieving said challenges. For example, one of the challenge caches states "you must find 25 caches that display the boat required attribute." We came across caches created by the club for MOGA that year that had the boat attribute but were nothing more than park and grab bison tubes/film canisters attached to a post along a country road. This is clear abuse of the system and without being able to keep that sort of thing in check, the integrity of the entire game is lost. Other examples of their challenge caches were: "you must have 10 or more finds on every day for 2 complete months on your finds per day calendar. This is cumulative finds as shown on your statistics page", "you must find 1000 caches at least 1000 miles from your home location", and "you must find 100 Mystery/Unknown cache types in a single day." These are unrealistic challenges in some areas depending on cache density, and would require many cachers to alter their caching style - not everyone has the time/ability for numbers runs, so often only the most elite power number cachers can ever hope to complete the challenges as intended. It all but encourages cheating just to get that smiley off of the map (the ignore feature notwithstanding).

I also do not agree with challenge caches that require use of special equipment (i.e. boat, tree climbing gear, etc.) in order to count the find. Many cachers do not own such equipment, either by choice or because they cannot afford to buy it. Yes, I know not every cache is for every cacher, but there is a line of reason when it comes to challenge caches.

At this point, 15 years into the game, I think challenge caches should be abolished. They seem to cause more grief than good for the finders and the reviewers, and they are ALRs if we are being completely honest with ourselves. It's time for GC HQ to come up with something new and different that will level the playing field for all types of cachers.

A simple Fizzy grid - complete your D/T table.

Anything involving numbers runs or cumulative find counts, or requiring special equipment.

Edited by dsvmusic

What do you like most about challenge caches? That it's a CHALLENGE. I can ignore it, do it or be enriched by it. It's my choice. Two of my favorite caches of all time are challenge caches that took me places and put me on adventures that I might not have otherwise done. During the lulls of normal caching, a challenge puts me to work researching and planning. I took two different vacations specifically due to challenge caches

What do you not like about challenge caches? Saturation of ideas. Consecutive day challenges done into the ground so that there everywhere. And honestly, the challenges that involve local caches/cachers. A little too limiting to me. BUT, I just skip those. They're still better than lightpoles.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Nothing really. Clarification of qualifications possibly. Some are a little vague, inconsistent and/or convoluted. Easy to say, if a reviewer can't understand it, they shouldn't publish it.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Jasmer, area/zone, D/T and lonely cache challenges. Types are good too.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? I avoid Souvenir, locals only type and consecutive anything mostly, though honestly have done a longish streak or two for types and days.

Overall, the problem I've seen in my region over challenges is "new" cachers not understanding and at least READING the description. That's an education issue. Not sure it needs it's own icon, but at least then they can't say they were confused.

1) What do you like most about challenge caches?

A good challenge cache can provide an incentive to engage in more diverse caching -- be it geographically, based on cache type, or in other ways.

2) What do you not like about challenge caches?

There's nothing specific about challenge caches as a class of caches which I dislike.

3) What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

A way to easily identify them (possibly by attribute?) would be nice. Both for those who want to easily find the available challenges and those who prefer to avoid them.

4) If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Ones like the 88 Counties of Ohio challenge or the 360 Degrees of Ohio challenge that encourage me to get out and explore parts of the state which I haven't seen.

5) What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

None, though some feel kind of frivolous. One I saw recently was "find caches at five different cemeteries in one day." Nothing really wrong with it, and I wouldn't /avoid/ it, but it didn't feel particularly noteworthy.

the challenge to reach new horizons, to get beyond your limitations
    silly challenges which are not better than statistic traditionals
    to get their own cache type with an own icon and so on
    all kinds of diversifying challenges without any pressure in time
    such where you must find caches every day for a long time or a lot of caches in a day, a month, a year

--They create a goal to accomplish. I am a very goal oriented person, and while I often set some of my own goals up, I really enjoy working on goals others set-up. I had to get creative and even drive 1.5 hours after work in order to find a birthday cache (for GC4FR2Y)and set up a streak of birthday caches to establish my own challenge (which I didn't get published in time). GC4DPY0 inspired me to spend time with my sister on a road trip across Kansas to visit Mingo (GC30). I have fond memories of visiting cemeteries on my way to a training in Kansas on October 31st--because I really wanted to accomplish the challenge for GC40EPP. Most of the feelings of accomplishment that I associate with Geocaching come from finishing and logging a challenge cache.

--If they aren't maintained it gets very frustrating. I've worked hard to meet the criteria of the challenge only to get to a cache site and find out the container is missing. I refuse to log the cache if I didn't find it--even with CO permission. Additionally, I get really enthused by caches that have never been found--even if it's been years--but I would really appreciate an occasional update from the CO just to verify it's still there after 6-12 months...otherwise I start getting discouraged and upset.

--Maybe challenge caches can be more of a virtual cache--so while the challenge remains you could log it without relying on a CO to maintain a container--or perhaps you still have to visit a location, but you just have to get your picture there instead of finding the cache (I like this thought better than my first, because I can see some people sitting on their sofa and searching all challenges world-wide without even getting close to the location it was issued in).

--I'm not sure I've seen more than 1 type...? I'm only able to think of the caches that ask you to meet a criterion before logging a find (i.e. GC418HE, GC4F5W and GC4EHZV). Now that I think of it though, I imagine these also count (GC1Z7A7, GC4XBNY and GC3K990)? If I had to choose, I would choose the first group--but I like them both.

--Ones that have been logged as missing or needs maintenance. I don't avoid ones that haven't been found in years, but I don't prioritize them--I think I would like to see a requirement for COs to have to log a check-up/check-in at least once a year (if their cache hasn't been found) in order to keep lost caches down--might not be a bad idea for all cache types. (I kind of feel like we as a community do a pretty bad job at holding cache owners accountable for all of the caches they create.)

Hello,

I would like to share my insight onto Challenge Caches

The challenge caches force me to dive deep into geocaching and fulfill unusual tasks.

Not all challange caches have a tool to verify whether I am already fulfilled the challange requirements.

The verification tool should be mandatory. It would be nice to have a change to filter/search challange caches either via a new cache type or via a new attribute (e.g. in a new search tool)

I love challenge caches which combines the difficulty and terain variety and of course also those one that are not so easy to achieve.

I do not avoid any type of challenge caches. Just it takes me time to fulfill their requirements.

Thank you a lot and looking for a new improvement of our loving game !

Niki.CZ

1)What do you like most about challenge caches?

The fun! When we travel, we look for top favorite points, virtuals, challenge caches, & wherigos, in that order. We enjoyed exploring our state doing the DeLorme & county challenges at the same time. Many great road-trip memories.

2)What do you not like about challenge caches?

Can not think of anything. Some are very hard to qualify for but not every cache has to be found by every person. I do not do tree caches or paddle caches. That is OK.

3)What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Either a special icon or attribute. Only way to find them now is to search for word Challenge in cache name or state bookmark lists of challenges.

4)If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Subject challenges such as types of parks, all counties in state, do so many earthcaches, etc. Encourages you to go to new places or try more cache types.

5)What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Any that I'm not willing to qualify for such as finding lots of high terrain finds, long streaks, or benchmarks. Oddly, most of our high terrain finds are from logging challenge caches!

Here are my answers:

Finding interesting challenges, doing some staistics, it's just fun. I like challenges, that show a challenge, that cannot be found in for example the Badges of BAdge gen or in the normal statistic. So they show different way of geocaching. I'm planning one ore two more myself. So it were a pity, if they vanish.

If it's only more, more, more: find 10,000 Tradis...

No need to change something in my opinion. I can follow the arguments, that there shuld be another icon, but for it could still be summarized under unkown Caches.

As said above: something, that was not covered by the normal statistics. suach as alphabet challenges, special old caches, local challenges, needed icons liek "wading", ... there's many...

really none, buit I don't like such ones, that only the one can manage, that has risen it. And such ines, that only double things that can be read in the normal stistic.

So I hope challenges will be re-activated soon!

Flong

Challenge caches tend to create additional "goals" or "quests" for those who have completed some of the larger goals (county, Delorme, Fizzy), and also create "smaller" accomplishments for those who are working on the larger ones, but would like an opportunity to go after something that is obtainable in a number of days or weeks of caching. They just add another layer of what makes geocaching a diverse and challenging hobby that takes us to new places and gets us outdoors and leveraging technology!

I really haven't found any challenge caches I didn't like -- they're all interesting, and while I won't be able to achieve some any time soon (3,000 travel bugs moved/discovered), I'm still ok with watching them and seeing what I can do in the coming years!

A new icon would be ok -- and I could see an attribute added as well. Or, just keep it as-is, search on Mystery caches containing the name "Challenge", that seems like a fairly easy way of searching for them in your favorite caching tool. As a challenge cache owner, I take responsibility to watch all logs of my caches [i do for all of my others as well], and if a cacher doesn't meet the requirements, I work with them to help them understand what they need to do.

I like any of them -- time-based, daily streak, geographical, alphabet [even the quirky ones like finding 29 caches containing two-letter US state abbreviations in the GC code!], I enjoy the technical aspects of the hobby/game as well though, so part of the challenge for me is determining that I do qualify for some of these more obscure challenges, and then creating a bookmark, etc.

None -- they're all fun as far as I'm concerned!

Challenges should be

Challenge caches are quite motivating for me. I like the goal of having certain types or experiences to work towards. It's similar to trying to finish an area or a trail for me. Often the challenges (or my own challenges from tracking my stats) are what inspires me to get out and cache, or to decide which area to visit.

Sometimes, however they can be a bit much. There can be a lot of repetition, and some challenges are just not that interesting. Some caches are a bit tricky to work out if you've solved them, or to prove if you've solved them. I'm a big fan of the challenge checkers at project-gc.com for this though.

I'm not too fussed on whether there is a new icon or not, but an attribute would be nice and would allow filtering at least.

I have seen some pretty cool and unique challenges, those are the most fun. My favourite are the map based ones. Find a cache on each page of a given map, or each topo grid. These force you to explore some hidden places, and that is the best part of geocaching in my opinion: finding the hidden places you'd never see otherwise.

I don't really avoid any, but some just don't inspire me. "x number in y days" for instance. Streak challenges I also find quite difficult, as I've already cached most of the hides near my house, and to find one each day after work involves a lot of time and unnecessary driving just to get one for the day.

One I really do not like is the requirement to start a challenge after it is published, or to "register" for the challenge on the cache page, with prior finds not counting. My finds should not be excluded from a challenge just because I didn't happen to see it sooner, or because I'm visiting an area and would never have looked at the challenges there.

Another type are the "negative" challenges. Ones that restrict your caching in way, such as only finding one type for a streak, or

I really like challenge caches. They give me incentive to go caching when I am in a lull. The thing I like about geocaching is that there is something for everyone. Those who don't like a certain type of cache don't have to do them. I use project-gc to check to see if I qualify for challenges so it isn't a big deal. I haven't run in to many caches that I find ridiculous, though there have been some I just haven't chosen to do.

Other then the year moratorium? Nothing really. I haven't run into extreme challenges that are crazy.

I think they would be easier to differentiate if they had their own icon. They really aren't a puzzle cache. I understand that it is hard because of the ones that are already out there but it would be a great improvement to the game.

The Jasmer, Fizzy, and getting all the days on my calendar filled in of course. I liked the Alphanumeric Challenges. I really like challenges where I can find out quickly if I qualify for it or not. Again project-gc helps with this. I think it would be great if geocaching.com and project-gc would work together. Right now I am working on a challenge on cemeteries.

Ones that don't make sense, are too difficult to figure out if you qualify for it or don't have a checker available.

I really hope that challenges don't go away. I love virtuals and would be sad if challenges go the way of virtuals.

What do I like or dislike about challenge caches?

1. We have found only a few challenge caches but they have been fun. We like a reasonable challenge cache that is actually challenging, but not ridiculous. Of course what is ridiculous to some is only a challenge to others I guess.

DISLIKES

1. "Do not look for this cache at the listed coordinates, it is not there". Sometimes the coordinates block legitimate caches from being placed in some good spots because of a blue question mark that doesn't even have a container at that location.

2. We like to systematically clear certain areas of all the caches. We work area by area to clear a town or county and turn the map to smiley faces. Of course there are some caches that have to wait until we can borrow a boat or can get to them for one reason or another, which is motivating. But when challenge caches pop up that have a challenge we simply cannot claim because of something like one of the qulifications needed is "you must have found a cache for 13 years in a row" . . . . . well so much for that one.

3. Ridiculous challenges. "In order to claim this cache as found, all you have to do is find 50 caches in 50 different states in 24 hours". Or " in order to claim this challenge cache as found all you have to do is find one of the three caches on the slopes of Mount Everest on February 29th (can only be done during leap year of course) and take a selfie of yourself at the top of the mountain as you are gliding down to the bottom on a purple hang glider while wearing only beach shorts".

CHANGES

1. Challenge caches should have their own type and icon..

2. Some kind of restriction on the number of them being published so fast, or a restriction on how many can be within a certain radius, like one challenge cache per 100 square miles (kidding) but some kind of distance restriction.

3. Actually, I think there are enough of them now and would like to see them go the way of the virtual (ghost icon) caches. But then that is just me.

Yeah I know a little joking but hey, they asked what we like, don't like and would recommend about them so I spoke my mind.

Edited by Team Dredd

Challenge caches that are achievable, over time, by planning your caching adventures carefully and that do not have onerous logging requirements. Challenges should promote fun, Promote caching, exercise and outdoor activity, Promote map skills and Provide a personal challenge. And in the end, satisfaction that you completed it! For example the 50,000 ft elevation challenge GC24K9Z.

Caches with an enormous amount of bookkeeping, log searches, onerous logging requirements... For example GC5462B.

The non-run-off-the-mill challenge caches that promote fun, physical goals etc. are awesome and should stay, same as the "blackout" caches. For the run-of-the-mill-can't-think-of-a-original-challenge" this should be replaced by a "challenge page" which prominently displays which challenges the cacher has chosen to pursue and the ones that the cacher completed. There should also be a list to choose from, and maybe "the challenge of the week". This way there would be no need to create another one of the same old same challenge cache and it would remove the onerous bookkeeping and logging requirements.

Challenges should promote fun, Promote caching, exercise and outdoor activity, Promote map skills and Provide a personal challenge and respect the environment.

challenge caches that are only achievable by very few cachers or have unrealistic requirements.

My time is precious and why should I spent time finding/tracking a cache that has onerous bookkeeping/logging requirements instead I can plan my next adventure?

I've read quite a few posts before writing my own and it's clear lots of people are agreeing on certain things, and there's plenty of debate on others. These are just my thoughts on how challenges fit in with the way I cache. YMMV and that's okay!

They add another dimension to the experience and encourage people to find caches that they otherwise might not seek out.

Sometimes they can be a little arduous to determine if you are eligible to log a find due to complex requirements (for example, ones where you need to be able to compare your logs to other logs en masse), but generally I don't have any dislikes because they are meant to be challenging! There also needs to be limits on the number of similar challenges, by way of their logging requirements, that are in (regional) proximity to each other.

It would be good to easily separate them from other cache types, my preference would be a new type for challenges or a sub-type under unknowns that breaks puzzles/challenges/unknowns into groups. It would be even better to have some way of validating whether the challenge conditions have been met (for instance, if you have completed all the D/T because of your profile stats, then the system already knows this and can allow/prevent you from logging). That obviously wouldn't work in all situations, but it could be put into practice for many of the challenges I've seen to date. It would also be nice to be able to see some sort of stats on challenges, or a way of demonstrating completion, so you can compare your progress with friends and challenge each other, etc.

Usually ones that ask me to push my own boundaries (ie. find 10 x T5 caches, or cache every day in a month). This gets me out and about and also gives the log value when you have put in the effort knowing that other people can't just come along and log it without going through the same achievement. Ones that are tough to get (ie. ones that might only have a few found logs a year) give me something to work towards beyond just an ever increasing find count.

Ones that are too difficult to figure out if you qualify or have what I would describe as unreasonable requirements. It's difficult to draw a line on what is unreasonable because it's meant to be challenging, but I have seen some very bizarre logging conditions before and just decided it's not worth even looking at and at that point you have to ask if the cache is really adding any value.

1.What do you like most about challenge caches? A reward for having found a lot of caches and an incentive for finding more. If I look at 3 challenges, chances are1 I already qualify for, 1 I never will, 1 I want to work towards (and a new spreadsheet page gets opened...)

2.What do you not like about challenge caches? the ambiguities re being able to put them out. "Find 1 cache from each of these local cachers" not allowed, yet "find 100 mystery caches" or "UK only" are? Then ones where you need to be a GSAK rocket surgeon to know if you qualify or not. Happily there are a few qualification calculators out there now.

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? A great swathe of them taking over an area. Suggest a maximum of 5 in a series. If a CO wants to publish more they need to be spread about.

4.If you could describe your favourite challenge cache type, what would it be? The Explorer challenges in the UK - find caches in e.g. 171 squares of map 171. Themed words in cache names.

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid? I'd say ignore instead of avoid - just ones I'll never be able to do. Thus my point that a whole area with caches that only people on 10000+ finds / 365-day stretches / multiple 5/5s are going to find, is excluding other cachers.

IN GENERAL: I like challenges, both finding and hopefully in the future as a CO (where I'd offer the "theme word in cache name" type and make it so that people with more than a few hundred caches would have a chance).

What do you like most about challenge caches? it makes you work towards something other then just a smiley (which you can get so simply)

What do you not like about challenge caches? some are crazy unachievable unless you have 10's of thousands of finds.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? the CO should have to qualify for the challenge and prove it in order for it to be published. (ok, i admit, i have a few that i don't, but it should be a rule)

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? something achievable in any area. not something i have to travel to every state or 10 different countries. my favorite that i have done would probably be the alphabet ones, such as find a cache that begins with every letter of the alphabet. or something that has you find multiple d/t's

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? ones that you have to travel super far to get (so many countries, so many states, ones published in 2000 ect)

1.What do you like most about challenge caches?

- You have a goal to find caches of special type, location or distance.

2.What do you not like about challenge caches?

- Bookkeeping system. Sometimes you need a paid application like GSAK or GC-Project to collect your evidence, otherwise to collect your evidence is a hell of a job.

- Privacy. A lot of challenge caches needs evidence that has a relation of your home-location.

- Relation with other caches. Some challenge caches has a strong relation with other caches or events. Example: A trail with 100 mystery caches and a challenge cache “100 mysteries in one day”

- Ridiculous requirements. Examples 10 x Fizzy 81, 15 countries/states in one day, 250 caches in one day. Example: 10 times Fizzy 81 means that you have to travel over 500 miles

- Not equivalent for everybody. Example: “Found all caches within 10 miles from your home-coordinates”. For some cachers is this a piece of cake, because they lives on an island, for others means this to find 1000 caches. Other example: Your found D/T rating is 2.5/2.5 or higher, this is for someone with 1000 founds easier to correct than for someone with 10.000 founds (in The Netherlands is the average D/T score 1,75/1,75)

- Location. The most challenge caches are on the given coordinates, but a lot of challenge caches has a puzzle-item. This is not always clear.

- A challenge cache isn’t nice to log if you are with other cachers.

- Too much requirements for one challenge. Example: found 100 caches (1) in one day (2) in country …. (3) where 5 caches are D/T … (4) and 5 caches are cache type … (5) etc etc…

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

- A special icon and/or attribute

- A challenge cache is always on the given coordinates.

- No relationship with other caches like a trail or event.

- Realistic requirements, without relations of time and great distance.

- For everybody equivalent, regardless the home coordinates or historic founds (like your average of D/T of % of cache types)

- Challenge must be done in your own region within a radius of 100 miles of the challenge.

- For evidence you can use the default statics page on GC.com or the Co must gives you the tool.

- There’s no relationship with your home location (privacy).

- At least 10% of the local cachers satisfy the requirements on publication date of the challenge.

- Not more than 3 requirements for one challenge

- Using grandfathered geocaches, experimental caches (eq labcaches) and/or event caches in a challenge. Example: found 12 cache-types on one day. For this example you need in the Netherlands or Belgium a mega- or giga event.

4.If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

- Find at least 1 cache in every county of your state

- Find 250 geocaches of the size “regular”.

- Alphabet challenge (caches with different names from A to Z)

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

- Challenges with extreme requirements

- Challenges with extreme traveling (outside the region)

- Challenges with extreme bookkeeping

What I like about Challenge caches is that they provide definite goals to achieve in order to fulfill the challenge. I have gone looking for specific caches in an area to fill a challenge and have seen some interesting things because I went for that challenge

I think the ratings should reflect the time and effort and expense involved to fulfill them. To find 1000 caches deserves a 2/2 rating but to find 5 earthcaches in 15 different states should deserve a 5/5 rating. As an owner of challenge caches, doing the rating was the most difficult part. Discussed it with fellow cachers to decide the rating and used time, effort,distance, and commitment as the criteria.

Also agree that challenge caches should be a variety so newer cachers and experienced cachers have ones that are achievable. Have heard the criticism that some encourage arm chair virtual cachers - but my feeling is - they will cheat anyways and you can't eliminate it totally. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater as my grandmother would say !!

And, like any other cache type or terrain - if you don't like them you don't have to do them. That's why geocaching is so enjoyable -you can do what you wish to do

Hope you do not discontinue them completely - cachers do enjoy them !!!!

Some of them makes geocaching more fun and it is a way how to give some "condition" - when condition caches are prohibited.

There is main problem that for somebody something is challenge, for somebody not. For example - if you make a challenge in way "find 1000 caches in district Abc" for a beginner or for somebody who lives far it is a challenge, but experienced cacher from that area has such cache "as a point" only, no as a challenge.

It is a little mess that you couls log in logbook before you pass the condition. If you are close to pass, it is OK, but when you are wery far and you will pass it after a years - it is crazy.

Hard to say - perfect challenge caches are the kind like 360 degrees challenge (I think it was the best one) or filling all districts, filling matrix etc. All these thinks are fun for me - If there is no cache at the end, I enjoy that anyway.

The ones connected with benchmarking etc. And the harvesting ones - like "find 100 caches a day". No fun for me there.

It adds additional interest to the game. Makes a mundane hide something worth striving for.

Some have absurdly high difficulty rates to accomplish the challenge. One or two of these are fine, but a lot of them in an area can be annoying. I also dislike that there isn't an easy way to filter out challenge caches (either to avoid them, or to seek them out).

I would like guidance on how to set D/T ratings for challenge caches, and their own cache type so they can be filtered appropriately by cachers. At the same time, an easy validator, like project-gc.com has, to keep track of progress of various challenges. It would be nice to click on a button on the cache page and be informed if you qualify or not, and what the qualificators are. A lot of challenge cache requirements can easily be derived from stats. The ones that can't, it should be relatively easy to add some data recording tools to record things (like, say, names of cachers you've cached with, or lists of FTFs etc.) Which could then be used to auto-validate challenges.

Geography based ones. The challenge to explore is a great motivator to get beyond ones comfort zones.

Date based challenges - they simply are not practical for my area as my area is not cache dense enough to pull off longer streaks.