Challenge Caches

Frau Potter

What do you like most about challenge caches?

Good ones take you to places or cache types you would normally not go or do. They broaden your horizons and literally challenge you physically or mentally.

What do you not like about challenge caches?

The vast majority are random and meaningless, e.g. you must find X caches with "something blah blah" in their names. Why? What's the point of that type? Separate problem: too many require too much travel. Not everyone can devote that much time and money. Challenges should be reasonably capable of being completed locally, i.e. within 50 to 100 mi. range.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

New icon. Puzzles and challenges are very different and should be separated. Also, allow requirements to include having placed caches, not just found caches. Also, the CO must have qualified for his/her own challenge before it can be published. This will cut down on a lot of bogus challenges.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

See answer to #1, but if possible without excessive travel.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Almost all of them now, since so many are so random.

• What do you like most about challenge caches?

Not sure I am very qualified to comment having only completed 2 and placed 1. Very few caches of this type within a hundred miles. After enjoying completing two challenges, I set one myself. Challenges add variety, fun, focus and interest to geocaching. They make you think about what you have written in earlier logs, make you read cache descriptions more carefully

• What do you not like about challenge caches?

What is there not to like? There must be lots of different challenges – some I would like some I wouldn’t. Many traditional caches are not achievable for me – I can’t swim and I don’t own a canoe so can’t do interesting little island caches, I avoid extreme caches if caching alone (but enjoy them if not alone); not likely to travel to the Antarctic so can’t do the caches there. Similarly some challenges won’t be possible for me. Not a problem -- I can ignore them.

• What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

The main issue for me with challenge caches and with puzzle caches is that there is no way to differentiate between the difficulty of actually finding the cache and the difficulty of fulfilling the challenge/solving the puzzle. Better guidelines and more appropriate rating system would be useful

• If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Impossible to answer – any challenge which is attainable for me and which pushes me a little out of my geocaching comfort zone.

• What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

I would avoid anything which involves finding huge numbers of caches in a limited time or even x caches of x kinds within a limited time frame. There just aren’t enough caches of any time within reasonable travelling distance for me to be able to complete such challenges. Having said that – I wouldn’t ban them – they might suit other people.

I like challenge caches because they give me goals to complete, and I like to plan future cache outings around them. This also makes me go places and do different types of caches that I would not normally do, which expands my cache experience.

I don't like the way the reviewers are requesting that proof be shown as to how many local cachers "already qualify for the challenge" in order for it to be approved. Instead they should provide proof as to how many cachers may be able to qualify for it, or are close to qualifying. If you've already qualified, it's not really a challenge. This may create more challenges that more people have to work for, rather than being pre-qualified.

I'd like to see a separate icon for challenge caches, and more uniformity between reviewers in the reviewing process. Some challenges here are denied, yet the same (or even more difficult version) of the same challenge exist in other provinces/states.

I like the challenges that require you to find x amount/type caches in a day, or over a span of time, also the baker's dozen versions of challenges (multiple days of requirements).

I avoid challenges that require you to travel overseas or great distances. (caches in 3 countries on the same day, etc) Also, ridiculous streak challenges (2 caches a day for a year, 500 day streak etc.) I think 365/366 is enough.

1.What do you like most about challenge caches?

Challenge caches are my favourite type and help to keep us motivated. They have taken us on some amazing adventures that we would not otherwise have considered, stretching our abilities both mentally and physically.

2.What do you not like about challenge caches?

Nothing, there will always be certain challenges we can not complete but others cachers will.

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

A separate icon.

4.If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

A challenge that will take us out of our comfort zone so we feel a sense of achievement

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

None

They motivate me to go out and get more caches.

They are all mixed in with puzzles, the majority of which I can't solve or don't have the patience to solve (googling 15 things I have no interest in).

I wish they would have their own icon so I can find them easier. Even if they had their own attribute, I couldn't find them in My Finds and would be stuck to using a PQ instead of GSAK.

The D/T grid (fizzy) was quite an accomplishment. I enjoy well-rounded and geographical A-Zs and Delorme/county type challenges. I did an Interstate challenge I enjoyed. The more long-term challenges require more planning, thus are more rewarding when complete.

Bookkeeping/clerical challenges - 50 types of birds or girl's names in the title, spell your name, etc...

[*]What do you like most about challenge caches?

Challenge caches are literally what drives me for a significant portion of my caching. I'm a goal oriented person. Do I need to be "challenged" to go out doors and explore our environment? No, but I have to tell you, it has added a very serious element of inspiration when I do decide to go geocaching. The Challenges help me to get out and go visit new areas that I would have otherwise never had a reason to go see. Here's the classic example that I share with everyone. Very quickly after I started geocaching, the closest unfound cache to me was the "Minnesota County Seat Challenge". The challenge was simple: find just one geocache in every single county seat in the state of Minnesota - there's 87 counties by the way. I am telling you, I never, ever, would have gone to all 87 counties in this great state - but I am so super proud to be able to say now that I've been to all corners of the state, and everywhere in between and I've gotten to see some pretty spectacular things in this place I call home for the past 12 years that most residents of 60+ years never experience.

Another example of the enjoyment that challenge caches provide for me are in road trips. Sure, if I take a family road trip across a few states, I might stop for a geocache or two along the way if there was no challenge, but some of the current challenges that I enjoy pursuing is finding caches in as many counties as possible, as many different types of caches in different states, and finding caches X miles from home.

I also really enjoy going back down memory lane as I put together my qualifications for various caches. Its easy to forget about some caches after a given set of time, but as soon as you read a particular cache name, it instantly retriggers those good memories.

[*]What do you not like about challenge caches?

At first I thought that there is truly not a thing about challenge caches that I do not like; but then I realized I was wrong. There's are two things I don't like about challenge caches.

First, I do not like that challenge caches don't have an icon on their own. All these arguments about a new cache type/icon would break the system, "blah blah blah" is a bunch of baloney. Groundspeak failed miserably at their attempt of a "Challenge Cache" and amazingly it got its own icon. I don't think anyone's GPS broke with the new type/icon; I know mine still works. (Which by the way, there's a perfectly good icon that's already been made - no artwork required.) Then, just last year, amazingly, Groundspeak found a way to create a new icon / cache type for Giga events. New icon, new type - but again, the world moved on.

The second thing I don't like about challenge caches? That new ones are banned for a year. See my original statement where I'm seriously considering not renewing my Premium Membership. And if anything does happen to the existing challenges, I guarantee I won't be renewing. I'm sure you won't miss my $30, but you might missing those dollars if just a few thousand others do the same.

[*]What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Besides my last two points of things I don't like? Very little. I am in the camp of wanting a new cache type for challenges. They are significantly different enough in my opinion to warrant it, and like I stated earlier, we've already got the icon/type created. I'm not a fan of the attribute idea as that doesn't help me, or anyone else, visually pick up the differences when looking at the caches on maps. What do you do about the existing challenges? I say don't worry about it. Its only numbers and if folks really care about how it affects "numbers" for existing challenges, then I suggest that you allow "puzzles+challenges" to equal Total Number of Unknowns up until XX/YY/2015 - something like that that. Its really not that big of a deal. Remember, it is just a game.

[*]If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

My all time favorite challenge was the Minnesota County Seat Challenge. Generally speaking though, my more favorite challenge caches are those that have me getting out and seeing new places: whether its finding a cache in 100 city parks, 25 states, or 5 different countries.

[*]What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

There hasn't been one single challenge cache that I've avoided yet. Do I think I'll ever qualify or attempt 1000 consecutive days? Not likely, but who knows - that could and likely will change as time goes on and my other outside influences (mainly kids) change. Keep on challenging me!

What I like: same things I like about any caches -- they can lead me to explore. That can be exploring new areas, or exploring known areas more intensively.

What I don't like: challenges that affect other caches rather than just building on them. This includes alphabet challenges (which obviously affect naming), matrix challenges (which encourage fraudulent D/T rating, and actively discourage correcting errors in descriptions), and finals in interesting areas which block better traditional caches. I'm happy to ignore caches that don't interest me (I do a lot of that), but these are things that affect me even when I ignore them.

Note that I think challenges based on D/T are fine, but they should be set up so that if the D/T on the cache listing needs to be changed, either because it was inaccurate or because the situation at the cache changed, that the challenge does not discourage fixing the cache description. Better yet, the challenge should be set up based on the real D/T rather than the published D/T, though of course that gets more fuzzy then fizzy.

I dislike anything that encourages inaccurate logging. I wasn't even aware such challenges existed until I read this thread. (I was previously aware of cheating on streaks, but that's been seriously frowned on for a long time.) There's enough problem already with people "catching up on logging" and using the current date instead of the actual find date.

I also dislike encouraging excessive consumption of resources, but I accept that most geocachers do a lot of driving as part of the activity, so I'm not sure at what point challenges significantly increase this.

What would I change: add attributes for the three categories. Would NOT add a new cache type, both because many COs would not change them, and because COs cannot change the type on their own. (However, I do see the potential value, and would not object to a new cache type if the challenges presented can be overcome.)

I would ban challenges which discourage improving the descriptions of caches.

If cat 2 challenges are clogging up an area, to the extent that those of us who don't cache daily or find large number are seeing our options limited, I'd restrict the density of those cat 2 challenges. I have not run into this problem, but reading the other comments here leads me to believe it's getting to be a problem in some places.

It's tempting to consider making the final physical cache optional, or "locationless". With the two I created, I now say that the final can be signed at any time (per current guideline which was not in effect when I created them), and some finders do this, and this makes the final just another cache in the challenge rather than a final reward. However, many of the finders have visited the finals in parties, and there are some wonderful, long logs on those finals, so I'd want to retain the final physical caches even if that were optional. Perhaps it's worth considering a new "type of final" applicable to all challenges: the "badge final", where there is no physical final, but completing the prerequisites allows you to "log the badge". Would take a lot more thought than I've put into it here, and others have posted ideas. But I would still keep the finals for my challenges.

One a couple of technical matters, I'd like to see guidelines. For cat 1a, should the D/T for the final be the maximum across the caches to find, or just for the final? For all, should the D be the difficulty of compiling the prerequisites or the D to find the final? If the seeker is allowed to sign the final prior to completing the prerequisites (as current guidelines advise, and as I changed my challenges to allow), what should be the date of the find log, and should be be a modification of an earlier note or a new log?

Favorite challenge type: my category 1 (that is, based on location or history). The two challenges I've created -- and completed -- are in category 1a. The two challenges I'm tracking are in categories 1b and 1c. I like the idea of county and DeLorme challenges, though I don't know if I'll ever have the time to pursue them.

Types I avoid: categories 2 and 3. Note that I have no dislike for the existence of cat 2 challenges (based on seeker behavior); they just aren't for me. I dislike cat 3 challenges (based on cache description) because of their effect on other caches -- they affect me even when I try to ignore them. I would avoid anything that looks like more stat-checking than caching. I haven't been active enough recently to say how often this would happen, though other comments imply it's become common.

Why do I avoid them? I avoid cat 2 because caching is always secondary to me: I do it while I'm hiking (mostly), or bicycling, or something else. Thus I'm not interested in something that requires certain caching behavior from me. I avoid cat 3 because I'm interested in the physical caches and their locations, not their web pages.

Honestly, they are some of my favorite types of caches. I love a challenge, it keeps me motivated and takes me to places I might not ordinarily go.

There is a one year moratorium on them.

A new attribute, and a logging option for challenge complete.

Visiting certain places - libraries, cemeteries, historical locations.

I don't "avoid" any type, but I realize that I won't qualify for some, especially those which require you to get a high number of caches within a short time frame. That isn't how I cache, but if it works for someone else, so be it.

In closing, when I travel and will be in an area for just a few days, challenge caches, mystery caches and TB hotels are the ones I focus my efforts on.

Here's my 2 cents

Please let us know:

Challenges which take me places or put a task before me of moderate difficulty in a achieving progress towards, i.e. Fizzy Challenge, DeLorme Pages, Jasmer. In pursuit of some of these grand challenges I have been some very memorable places and have experienced much, some pleasant some not so, but all good.

Challenges which are little more than busy work on the computer to see if I have passed. If the requirements are for me to create a catalog of details then I'll likely skip it.

Give them an icon - they clearly are not an Unknown/Puzzle cache, but confirmation of achievement. Maybe small lightning bolt. zap.png

An accomplishment of a tally of readily available cache types. Anything which can be determined/proven within the site or freely available tools. Something which takes no more than moderate effort to find the caches. Something which may require travel to interesting places.

Anything which will take a considerable amount of time to figure out if I have met the challenge. If I have to spend an hour going over fiddling combinations of icons, names and attributes I'm not going to do it. Any challenge which requires me to use tools which cost money or will not run on the technology I have will also be ignored. Any challenge which is likely to put my health and wellbeing at risk.

[*]What do you like most about challenge caches?

The challenge. As my icon notes, I cache with three sons. Having a unique goal or something to build to helps motivate and keep them focused.

Nothing. There are some we qualify. There are others we don't. There are some which we never will. We're not big fans of Multi caches so we don't hunt them often - that being said we don't think they should be eliminated. Likewise, just because and individual or group doesn't like a type of challenge caches doesn't mean they should have to be eliminated. Just don't hunt that type.

I think they should be opened up more. I liked them better before they were restricted to things you have already accomplished. We recently completed one which required finding caches in 100 freeway rest areas. It took up several years to accomplish, but it was an accomplishment that wouldn't have happened had the hider needed to prove that he had accomplished it before hiding the cache.

[*]If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Something out of the ordinary that gives reason to go back through past finds: The rest area cache mentioned above, all 20 categories of earth caches, Icon counts, number of stars in a day, finding lonely caches, etc.

Those that change the way we cache. The 1000 day streak has been mentioned. We wouldn't go for that one because we barely made it through a hundred day streak. That being said, we know several people with streaks of 500 or 1000 days. If you like the sport and you like the challenge and you like finding them everyday then go for it. If not, leave the question mark on your profile.

One of the things that got us motivated when we started was trying to complete an alphabet challenge. I don't know why you'd want to restrict that part of the activity. If coachers don't like an unfound challenge appearing on their profile, maybe you could add a way to excluded individual caches from showing up - I might even use it for multis.

Thanks for the opportunity to post.

+1 Well put.

1. What do you like most about challenge caches?

They introduce a different aspect to the game and create some interesting goals.

I also like that previous finds count, and they are actual caches to find and not a badge/sounvenir/waymark.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches?

SOME are trivial with way way overstated d/t ratings.

Some (rare) challenge caches cannot be completed by all cachers... I don't mean because of physical abilities which is natural and perfectly fine, but because the cache requirements just cannot me met. Examples: a challenge cache which requires a virtual find in a specific state, as well as other criteria on the same day as the virtual find. Cachers who have already found all of the virtuals in the particular state without meeting the other requirements will never be able to qualify (boo).

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

I would like to see new specialized reviewers for challenge caches. These reviewers could review the challenge requirements and when/if they are approved the cache could be passed on to the applicable local reviewer for proximity and permission checks before publication. This would reduce the amount of time the existing volunteer reviewers spend on challenge caches and also introduce a more consistent application of what is and what is not allowed in challenge caches. (There appears to be quite a discrepancy between different reviewers atm.)

I would like a new attribute for 'this is a challenge cache' (instead of a new icon). If, instead, a new icon was introduced, what of challenge caches that also have a puzzle to solve to determine the location of the hide? Give them the challenge cache icon... but then the "unknown" puzzle aspect would be lost.

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Something creative and challenging like http://coord.info/GC53KHZ. I also like the Jasmer & Fizzy challenges.

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Ones that require caching activities that I've decided I'm not going to partake in, namely, i) finding a certain number of caches in a 24 hr period, ii) a cache a day streaking, or iii) just anything that requires a lot of finds or traveling within a 24 hr period.

Sue

Vinny & Sue Team

edit: please excuse Vinny's sig that was added below... this is Sue, not Vinny!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

The challenge. They add an extra twist to the game and give me something to strive for. Geocaching is about variety and choice, and challenges are a nice addition for some of us.

Not much, I like challenges. Except for the book-keeping that some challenges require. But that's just me as I have no clue about GSAK. In an ideal world, there would be a checker for every challenge....

I would like to be able to tell whether a ? is a mystery or a challenge. I guess a new icon would solve that ;-)

A challenge cache has to be a challenge, not too easy, something to work towards, to collect for (disagreeing with people who want to see them being achievable by many and all).

Ideally you can fulfill a challenge in more than one way. Example http://coord.info/GC300W7 in this challenge you have to meet 8 out of 15 criteria.

Personally, I love high terrain challenges and challenges involving foreign travelling. Ideally a challenge encourages me to experience something new or special when I go out finding caches.

I don't do streaks as I can't go geocaching frequently enough, but I accept that they are fun to other people.

I totally dislike challenges where you collect letters, numbers, words ect. in the cache title. To me they are meaningless. They are not about the cache and the geocaching experience, but purely fulfilling accountancy purposes.

But as a more general comment, I'd like to stress that geocaching should be for lots of people with different tastes and preferences. If I don't like something it doesn't mean I want it removed. Keep up the variety as that's the best part about geocaching!

I like the "challenge" aspect. It is fun to work towards an achievable challenge while enjoying finding geocaches.

Some of them are all but impossible. We cache with our 2 small children and will never be able to do some of them. its not a problem to put those on the ignore list though. sometimes it is very hard to work out if you qualify unless you use a 3rd party site.

A new icon. I think it needs one, we haven't had a new icon for a while and they get lost in the Unknown category.

Something where you had to achieve the challenge in you home area. Milestone challenges and ones where you have to find a certain number of each type for example.

Anything where you have to find high D/T or travel to other countries, unloved caches. They are not bad but don't suit our style of caching.

Exactly that - the Challenge. Goal setting.

You shouldn't have to find a cache to complete a challenge. The challenge is the hard part.

They shouldn't be caches at all. They work better as challenges or souvenirs.

Somthing achievable. Even if that involves planning, time and skills that I need to acquire.

None. Because I am addicted!?! I hate ones that involve long, long distance travel that clutter up my closest to home radius.

1.What do you like most about challenge caches? Challenge caches are my favorite type of cache. Just like traditionals and puzzles, I like that there is a great variety of them that I can choose to do or not do. I like that it helps me focus and narrow down all the caches I have to choose from (2.5 million caches is a lot to sift through :) I like that it pushes me to do types of caches I might not ordinarily do just to complete a challenge -- i.e. Bingo Challenges, ABCDErian caches, Tree Challenges, etc. I like that it helps narrow down options when traveling to new locales -- like the county challenges, DELORME challenge, etc. They help keep me motivated -- 100 days in a row, JASMER, and I always have a goal in mind.

2.What do you not like about challenge caches? Nothing, what's not to like? Sure, there are some that I will never do, but the same can be said for traditionals (LPCs!) and puzzles. I will never dive in the water to get a smiley, but someone else may. I say the more the merrier.

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Some way to differentiate them from puzzle caches. A different icon? An attribute? Some way to search specifically on them, requiring that the word Challenge be in the title...

4.If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? I am working on about 10 challenges right now and I love them all. They're all pushing me to do something new -- climb a tree, cache on a specific day, fill in my calendar grid. I think my favorite is the Bingo Challenge. I'm disappointed that there is a moratorium, because I had 3 Bingo Challenges that I wanted to release, but,... next year!

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid? None. I may not be skilled yet to do some -- 100 caches in a day? It takes me a year to do that many -- but someday I might be that skilled and then I'll be happy to have that option.

They break up the monotony of ordinary solve it and find it caches. Let's face it, a lot of us are goal oriented OCD types for which challenge caches are a godsend.

That I don't have time to do more! And, of course, that with this moratorium I now can't create one or two of my own that I had planned :( I don't know what all the fuss is about or why this is even necessary. People have different tastes about different challenge types. Some like them for the goals, others for the organization and planning aspects, the camaraderie, etc... If there's a challenge you don't like then just don't do it. I may not have any desire to do 1,000 caches in a single day, but why should that prevent someone else from enjoying it? Where's the victim, in other words? If there are issues with the challenge itself or disagreements about completion, then let that play out in the comments section where everyone can read them and form there own opinions.

Definitely a seperate icon to distinguish it from puzzle caches, though I understand there may be technical limitations the prevent this from happening.

Haven't done enough to really have an opinion, but I do like the ones that revolved around long-term achievements (150 trackable finds, all the virtuals in one state, etc..).

One's I realistically don't have time to do. I have a wife and two kids. There's no way I'm ever going to be able to spend a day doing six different cache types in six different states. Not that I wouldn't like to, but it's just not in the cards right now. As I mentioned earlier though, my preferences shouldn't limit what other cachers are allowed to do.

What do you like most about challenge caches? I like the challenge of finding specific caches and looking for caches under different aspects.

What do you not like about challenge caches? I don't like finding the actual cache after completing the challenge.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? I think it would be awesome to create souvenirs for completing challenges.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Waymarking challenge cache, ABC cache, D/T challenge, cemetery challenge

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? I avoid the ones that are placed far away from my local area.

I like that it is a bit like solving a puzzle trying to find the caches that meet the requirements. I also like that it takes me to places I wouldn't have thought about going otherwise.

The threat of having a log deleted if I make a mistake in meeting the requirements. I tend to avoid any challenge that comes with that warning.

An icon or attribute would be nice.

I like the well rounded cacher and fill the grid types of challenges. The proof is in the profile so less work proving the requirements have been met and less chance of error.

Ones that have over-the-top requirements or threaten log deletion if there is an error in the bookmark list proving requirements have been met.

I discovered challenges about a year ago and have completed the requirements for over 100 (but only found the final and signed the log on 13 so far). I have started the requirements and continue to work on 253 more challenges in Texas. I would hate to see them disappear.

Edited by Sweet Tides Crew

I would say that "Avenging Unicorns" answered almost exactly the same way I would.

1. I like challenges because they give me a measurable, definable, and achievable goal. They help me focus on areas I might not have even thought of exploring.

2. It's hard to find them since they have the same icon as "puzzles". We discuss this issue often in the N. Central Florida area. How about a "target" icon?

I'm also not crazy about having to create long lists, but that has more to do with my nature and lack of skill in software use. I like to get out and find them!

3. See #2a.

4. Ones that lead me to new areas, give me a "wow!" moment, that are succinct and reasonably measurable and achievable, and that help me "push" my comfort zone.

5. Ones that I don't think I can achieve, or for which I am not willing to spend the time to create lists. However, that is true of MANY caches: If I see the effort being too much greater than the reward, then I tend to pass. My choice, though. No one forces me to take on any cache in which I'm not interested. If it seems too goofy, I laugh, and ignore it.

Planning an adventure or series of adventures that challenge me and make me do things or go places I wouldn't normally.

Too many are not challenging for cachers that have been around a while, and are just a checkmark with paperwork.

I think unknown category needs to be scrapped. Puzzle or Unknown should be an attribute to a cache. We have a lot of letterboxes and multis that have a puzzle front end or puzzles with multiple stages or a letterbox hybrid with a map (letterbox style) instead of GPS, and it's always confusing to figure out what type it is. I think we should have the following cache types:

• Traditional
  • Wherigo
  • Event
  • CITO
  • Earthcache
  • Webcam

And then the following attributes on any of those types:

• Letterbox Stamp
  • Multiple Stages
  • Not at Posted Coordinates
  • Challenge (additional logging requirements)

Right now it's too confusing trying to figure out what you're getting in to, or targeting cache types that suit your particular interests since everything has murky boundaries and varies depending on reviewer.

Something that requires me to go out of my way to get it. It's a challenge, not a find you stumble on to. My favorite all time challenge cache was to find ten caches that were within .10 miles of a hillside letter (we have a lot in the western USA). It took some planning to figure out which caches qualified, took some travel to get there, but was a very enjoyable journey. It was a definitely a challenge, but is something that I won't be forgetting any time soon. But when I tried to post the next step in this challenge, it was rejected and I was told at least ten local cachers needed to qualify for it by the time it posted - how is that a challenge?

I'll grab whatever I qualify if I'm in the area, but the ones for which I auto-qualify are meaningless to me and might as well be traditionals, so I don't seek them specifically. 500 caches starting with a q or 200 caches with "dog" in the title or things of that sort are just traditionals that are only accessible to cachers with big numbers, and are just paperwork.

They allow me to celebrate what I've achieved during my caching years, often helping me remember special caches and things that happened while caching for the qualifying finds

• What do you not like about challenge caches?

Not too keen on regional, country etc limitations. I think they are fine for something like grabbing all the counties in a state, or the oldies in a state - something that is specific to that state. But I do not see much point in doing an alphabet challenge for just one state, or finding T5s in one state.

There are also some really cumbersome challenges where the paperwork to prove them will take a week, but I would not limit challenges to just what can be determined from gc.com statistics.

• What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

I would like them to be their own cachetype, even if as a subset of mystery caches

• If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

I enjoy the ones that in addition to celebrating an achievement, the final cache also takes me to a pretty spot - this is especially nice when traveling.

• What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Some are so high in trees that they are dangerous to grab alone or require a ladder - that's disappointing when traveling alone and without your own "tools"

The ones where the paperwork is more work than the DT-rating indicates

A- Challenge caches are just what the name says. We have finished over 150 Challenges and over 50 series caches. It's meeting the requirements that pushes you to fill your grids, or do caches in 48 or 50 states. Complete a Jasmer of all the months starting in May 2000 to now and you will feel like you did something special, but very difficult while having FUN along the way.

A-Challenges that require you to find X number of micro's in 24 hours.

A-A special person to handle and publish challenges , just like Earth Caches are done.

A-Doing the all County and Delorme Challenges in PA, along with the 48 State and Jasmer Challenges.

A-The only challenges we don't try for are one's in other country's and those that we physically are unable to complete due to it's extreme terrain.

The statistics are an important part of geocaching to me. Challenge caches gives me new goals to work towards - more challenging and meaningful goals than just finding as many geocaches as possible.

- The inconsistency that you can sign the log before you qualify. Which date is the found date then? The date you signed the log will mess up the order of when people qualified. The date you qualified will mess up your location stats, making it seem like you were two places at the same time. The rules are not good enough.

- There's too many of then in some places and they take up space where regular geoaches could have been placed. It's no fun for beginners.

- Some requirements are meaningless and silly. Challenge caches should be challenging, not just some random requirement like finding caches named A-Z.

- Difficulty rating (and even terrain rating) is sometimes based on the placement of the container and other times on how hard it is to qualify. We need rules.

- A rule that says you can't sign the log without qualifying first.

- A rule that says the difficulty rating should be based on how hard it is to qualify, while terrain should be based on where the container is placed - just like with mystery caches that can be difficult to solve but still wheelchair friendly and terrain 1.

- Archiving old challenges with silly requirements that would not be approved with the new rules.

- Own icon.

No challenge is too hard, but I must have fun while working towards the goal and I should be able to do so at my own pace. Anything that rewards me for choosing to find quality geocaches instead of quantity/power trails is good. Some of the requirements I enjoy working towards include:

- "360 degrees" caches (finding caches on every degree within a country or region)

- Finding geocaches in a number of different countries/states/counties (NOT within a certain amount of time)

- Completing the D/T matrix

- Collecting TB hotels

- Anything time resticting, like finding a given number of caches in a day or other amount of time.

- Streaks. Geocaching should be fun, not a duty.

- As many geocache types in a day as possible (only possible a few places in the world).

- Random silly requirements like finding caches named A-Z.

Edited by kjerstih

I enjoy thinking about which challenges I will create. Trying to find a complex challenges (first doing them myself) and showing people different ways to enjoy geocaching. I am quite proud of the fact that some of my challenges (mainly focussed on favorite points), have led to people caching differently. Instead of finding as many caches... finding as many favorite points.

Furthermore, not only do I make challenges, I try to do other people's challenges. The really complex ones are the ones which trigger me. Furthermore, I try to combine and create further complexity myself. For example I am currently, trying to write my name in as many 366 days found challenges. I currently have found caches in 7 different countries. Which will mean that on the next leap year day I will have found a cache in 7 countries. I enjoy this.

I wonder why some cachers find it necessary to give "bonus" stars on Terrain. The challenge itself is D5... and the cache is just behind a tree (T 1.5). They then give a T5 because of complexity or difficulty of the challenge. This is in my viewpoint not necessary.

Even though I always do my own challenges, some people create challenge which seem to be very specific (too specific?). For example, finding 300 earthcaches, is probably something not a lot of people will actually do. Maybe a % of geocachers in a country or region should be able to achieve the challenge before it is posted

There seem to be different rules from different cache owners/cachers. This is confusing and sometimes frustrating:

- Is the cache on the coordinates mentioned (usually it is and when it is not... it creates frustration). Use one standard.

- Can you write your name on the log while you are in the process of doing the challenge? Some owners do not allow it

- What is a difficult challenge? I recently did a D5 challenge, which seemed like a D1... Maybe a rating system based on the percentage of regional players who would qualify?

To prove that you have achieved the challenge seems to be becoming complexer. It could be an idea to have 2 or 3 sources (eg Geocaching.com, project-gc.com or GSAK) which are mandatory to use. If you can not use these, than the challenge can not be approved.

I do not believe a seperate challenge icon would be a good idea. Don't really understand why thay would be necessary, but it would be usefull if you could search / filter them in geocaching.com (as you can do in project-gc.com within the wildcard box. The word CHALLENGE in the cache name, helps immensly in this).

I have been quite active in working on the different matrixes (I am a statistics cachers). DT matrix, Jasmer, days found/hidden, attributes. I try to find new ones and go for that (dt with only traditionals currently).

I personally do not like the fact that you MUST do something. Challenges along the lines of find a cache each day for 100 days, are not my sort of thing. I enjoy geocaching... but on my terms.Nevertheless, I understand that some people DO enjoy this. I just ignore those challenges and focus on the ones I enjoy.

I really do hope that challenge caches remain part of the geocaching world. Maybe they can be simplified and the work needed to show that you have qualified, could be simplified. But even if that is not the case, I will continue to work on my personal geocaching goals... but obviously a challenge cache is a way to show what you have achieved... which is something a lot of people like to show.

T-Team! from Holland

There are no negatives in life, only challenges to overcome that will make you stronger

Please let us know:

2. What do you like most about challenge caches?
I never did a challenge (more than 5500 caches found)

The idea. For me Geocaching is definitly non-competitive - I don't even compare with myself (called statistics)

Make them another cache type, please. With an icon to easily avoid distinguish them.

None.

Challenge caches.

Explore or plan something the person who made the Challenge did also

Some are just to bully someone (Yes I know you don't have to log every cache....), but when I have to log 10 T5/D5 caches in 1 day.............

A Challenge icon (not a ''mistery'') so you can find them easier.

And maybe look at the logging task, if the task is almost impossible, please do not publish it.

Cache types in 1 day, DT Challenges.

The (Almost) impossible ones, they are noted in my ''blacklist'' :)

- It is condition, which makes me to overcome the obstacle.

- I can't filter this cache.

- Some type of conditions on challenge caches.

- add atribut of challenge

- permissions of challenge, where is conditions about hiding the caches (I don't like point 7 of http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206)

- allow challenge as "BONUS" caches on series of caches (visiting all of a series of caches you can log FI on BONUS Cache).

- It's challenge about visiting caches on specific area (such as in our country http://coord.info/GC2T0G1 or http://coord.info/GC2MYAB)

- Challenge about visiting caches with a certain topic (about - visit 10 hills higher than 1000 m with cache (as http://coord.info/GC2JV9Q) or for example challenge visit cache near 20 castles, or 20 caves etc.

- Challenge about statistics (Matrix, find min. 1 cache / day, found all day in calendar, 3000 per year, 500 per day, etc.)

They are good motivational factor and they are good for setting long-term goals in caching.

I like challenge caches, but I don't like the fact they are mixed with Mystery Caches.

Separate cache type and icon for challenge caches. They are not mystery caches.

Enforce guidelines more strictly, i.e. challenges that expect us to change our caching styles or habits shouldn't be published, and for consecutive days challenges you should change your caching style.

Be more picky on what to publish in terms of challenge cache density and in terms of uniqueness of challenge caches, similar to way new EarthCaches are reviewed.

I like those that give me some kind of long-term goals in caching.

Also, I like those that are somehow related to different cache types (e.g. find 12 different types) and those that are somehow related to geographic regions (e.g. find caches in different countries. regions, states, counties etc.).

I wouldn't avoid any challenge caches, but I less like those that include finds in consecutive days (e.g. find caches in x consecutive days) or timed challenges (find x caches in y days). These challenges require change in caching style and I don't like that. Also, I less like those that are somehow related to cache titles and/or cache owner names.

Edited by GCEdo

I like the longer-term goal aspect of them, and how they encourage me to expand my caching experience.

Some sort of official designation (probably best done with an attribute), and some way to configure GC.COM/apps to define a per-account default filter like "always ignore caches with attribute X."

Definitely the map-based caches, such as DeLorme or county challenges. They encourage me to explore farther, and go to more places I wouldn't otherwise. In the quest to get "page X" checked off, I've seen some great caches that I know I'd never have bothered hunting for otherwise.

I don't know that I really AVOID any of them. There are some I recognize I'll never complete... I'm not a "cache a day" type streaker, for instance -- but that's fine. There are folks out there who enjoy that, and I'm okay with everyone finding their own sort of fun in this game.

A: I like the way they make you think about the different way to come up with answers (Coordinates) and some, the places they take you.

A: Seeing the ICON on the GPSR and not knowing ahead of time what kind of cache it really is until you read the description and realize you don't have the proper equipment (tablet, smartphone, abacus etc..) available.

A: I'd like to be able to somehow filter them from a traditional (old style) mystery cache so they either don't show up on a PQ or do depending on my mood. If a different ICON could be used to indicate NETWORK required to solve puzzle, I think that would help immensely for people to avoid or assist them in their quest.

A: The old ones, where you get your answers from the caching experience @i.e. numbers of finds per day to gathering info from a location... Basically ANY thing that doesn't require internet access to obtain the cache answer.

A: I don't avoid them, I love a good challenge cache and mystery caches as well. I would like to decide based on the type of cache whether or not I want to stop and play or go home and armchair the answers later.

~~ The puzzle caches seem to have morphed from the original intent of the mystery cache of years ago. Not unlike the NANOS and MICROS OR the multi-caches which all morphed from the traditional Ammo can size. They get different ICONS or at least a way to filter them depending on skill set or time involved.

Keep the puzzles around for those of us who truly like to work them but allow those that hate them to filter them somehow.

Rolling Oldies

They give long term goals for the hobby. The task of just increasing the amount of finds has lost its appeal long time ago.

I do not like to skip a cache because it might be needed later to fulfill a challenge requirement. This can be due to date restriction, for example “fill all calendar months by at least one letterbox cache”.

24 hour challenges/races will urge geocachers to ignore “Stealth required” attributes and in general ignore all effects of their visit at cache site. There are challenges to find all D- or T-ratings or for example a large number of mysteries in a single day. These challenges are often completed with normal (non-trail) caches, which are not designed for park-n-grab. This type of behavior increases the risk of a cache becoming lost.

I have noticed from some of the personal statistics that quite often after a triple-digit find date the amount of finds drops close to zero. It looks like a burnout symptom and the healing process starts by finding another hobby.

Challenge caches are missing common D/T rating guidelines. Some COs are rating difficulty of the challenge, some are rating only the cache and some are giving separate ratings for both. For example essentially same challenge in Sweden http://coord.info/GC23BMW (D2/T2) and in Finland http://coord.info/GC2HK4W (D5/T2.5). One solution is to have one find for the cache and another for fulfilling the challenge. Latter could have separate statistics, which would likely make holes in my fizzy table. These fulfilled challenges would become new Locationless caches, unless a physical find log is also required.

The biggest problem is that typically challenge caches have overrated D/T values which makes them appear in searches for filling the latest missing pieces in the fizzy table. It is typically much easier to fulfill a D5 challenge compared to solving a D5 mystery. Same logic applies to T-rating. If all challenges would have D1.5/T1.5 rating, I presume there would be close to zero appeals.

The ownership of a challenge cache should be different. Current policy is that caches cannot be adopted without owner’s approval. Challenge caches should be an exempt from this policy. As challenge caches typically require long term planning, there should be a way to forcefully adopt the cache in case the owner decides to abandon it. Case in point http://coord.info/GC543VJ which used to be a challenge for finding 1000 caches with Bicycle attributes. The cache description was emptied and the cache was archived with no apparent reason given. There are some frustrated comments from those who had committed to fulfilling the logging requirements.

Separate challenge cache type would increase new non-event cache types from 6 to 7. This would make it easier to achieve some of the Many many many types of challenges, http://coord.info/GC5N2VK . It would also make it harder or even invalidate current logging requirements for “find all D-ratings using mystery caches in 24 hours” as relatively easy challenge caches are often used as a replacement for the real high-D mysteries. A separate cache type for challenges would still be better.

Anything that is achievable during normal weekend or leisure time caching. This is a recreational hobby after all. Fizzy challenge without date restrictions is a good challenge.

It took me almost 3 years to complete time limited fizzy challenge, which was published two days before I created the user account and found my first cache. I was actively concentrating for that challenge for a bit more than half a year to reach the missing 12 old enough pieces.

I skip challenge caches which require long streaks. I did do the 31 days of geocaching in August 2013, but that was really killing the joy of caching for me. Right after that there was a challenge published which is almost impossible without those 31 souvenirs, http://coord.info/GC4N2C1 . Everyone who has logged that cache is using August 2013 souvenirs, except for those two that do not qualify for the challenge. It is D1.5/T1.5 for those who were active at the right time, but something completely different for everyone else.

I was also really relieved when my find calendar was finally full. I have not considered 2+ finds/day versions. This wonderful hobby turns into a job if you have to constantly keep an eye on the calendar.

> Different challenge that motivate cachers, however I personally do not collect them.

> They are mixed with and misunderstodd the rules for unknown/mystery caches so that also demotivates a lot of people

> Definitelly it would be new cache-type with its own icon and rules and filtering features!

> n/a

> n/a

Edited by martin.simek

What do you like most about challenge caches? They are twice the fun - giving an additional goal to find or accomplish. They can push a geocacher to try new things or push further to test limits.

What do you not like about challenge caches? That some apparently are unable or unwilling to read a cache page. I dislike the challenges which only allow caches published before a certain date, as it implies that no future cache can be well placed/rated/etc.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? An attribute? It would have been nice to have had a new icon/type from the beginning, as adding one now poses the problem of retroactivity. A challenge rating? Qualifying for a DeLorme challenge is certainly more difficult than qualifying for a 10 souvenier challenge. But those who don't understand the challenge concept wouldn't understand a rating, either. Should the word "challenge" be reserved for challenge cache titles only?

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? One which pushes me to try something new. For instance a challenge to find so many benchmarks or discover so many trackables pushes me to interact with geocaching in positive ways that maybe I hadn't before. I only began to log dnf's when I saw a challege to have logged 100 dnf's. It was archived (and no longer publishable) before I accomplished the goal, but it did help me to be a better logger and more helpful to others.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? None yet.

3. What do you not like about challenge caches?
  4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?
  5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?
  6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

1) Challenge caches is an extra motivating "spice" to the game and something I like to pursue and achieve.

2) I do not like that it is mixed with mystery. Should have its own type.

3) See above. Make it its own type.

4) I like most parts, except those that demands so and so many finds within a certain (short) time.

5) "Find-100-in-a-day", "Find-one-a-day-for-a-year" challenges and the likes.

I'm not actually a great fan of challenge caches so they don't really "light my fire", I'll do them if I come across them but with a couple of exceptions I've never gone out to specifically achieve a challenge.

3. What do you not like about challenge caches?
    I am capable of setting my own goals for the way I cache, too often challenges seem to be trying to impose the CO's idea of what caching should be about on me - I don't like that.

4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?
    If they're to remain then they should be easily identifiable, either by having their own icon or cache type, or having a searchable attribute.

5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?
    There isn't one really.

6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?
    Anything that requires too much "jumping through hoops", there are some challenge caches I'm pretty sure I qualify for but the criteria are so convoluted that I can't be bothered to work out whether I do or not.

In one of the many discussions on this subject (maybe even in this LOOOOOOONG thread) someone suggested that rather than having challenge caches there should be some sort of challenge/achievement system; whereby challenge concepts can be submitted by cachers, there would then be a worldwide challenge created. Thus, for example, there would only be a single "find 100 caches in a day" challenge and anyone in the world could attempt/complete it. Anyone accepting and completing the challenge would then receive some sort of award/badge/souvenir which would appear on their profile. This sounded like a good idea to me, and while it would probably take some coding effort to setup you've got a year to do it in :rolleyes: .

>What do you like most about challenge caches?

They give me a target to aim for. For instance, "find 11 Multis in a day" gives me a goal for the the day, and is a bit more fun than just randomly grabbing nearby caches.

>What do you not like about challenge caches?

Maybe the work in proving some of them. But I don't have to do those if I don't want to.

>What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Make them a separate type, or at least have an attribute. They tend to get mixed up with the puzzles and other "?" caches.

>If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Really no favourites, I look at them all individually.

>What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

The hard ones! (hard for me) IE water, lots of tree climbs etc.

Not much (anymore). I used to like to be challenged, but over time it became just impossible to meet the requirements as people are pushing the envelope over and over with every new challenge being published. It's becoming a sidegame by itself for a limited number of people.

Anything that is time-related. Others already mentioned this and I can't agree more. You should not be requested to meet requirements based on dates or limited amount of time (no streak challenge, no so many caches per day, no so many countries visited in a day, etc.).

They should simply disappear. Even with guidelines, there will always be people to find a way to bend the rules. Humans are humans... If not, then have a way to be able to ignore them upfront, not after the fact. It would be nice to be able to flag "challenge caches" in a way that your map, notifications and pocket queries would not contain them. As you can ignore what you don't know, this would seal the deal for those who don't want to be part of that sidegame.

Really? None. A challenge cache is like a trophy you can hang on your wall. It doesn't have a purpose other than that.

Anything that it time-related for sure.

Question 1 - What do you like about challenge caches?

It's a way to set goals over short and long term time frames on which caches to do.

To be honest, there are more caches than time to do them. After picking out interesting ones and the fun puzzles, it gives us something else to target.

Also we tend to learn more about the tools available to cachers for locating caches by doing challenges.

Our preference is to try to log challenge caches when we just barely qualify.

Question 2 - What do you not like about challenge caches?

When the causality goes the other way. Basically a challenge cache causes a bunch of caches to be placed in order to make the challenge easier. A local example was there are two challenge caches - one to do 100 caches that start with "Welcome to", one to do a cache with the name of every element of the periodic table. There was a power trail created with "Welcome to Hydrogen", "Welcome to Helium", etc that made a mockery of the challenges and really the power trail itself.

Question 3 - What would you like changed about challenge caches?

The biggest thing I would like changed is to not allow a series of challenges in a small area that are the same challenge with escalating requirements. A local example is there is a 5 cache series of challenge caches requiring finding caches with 20, 25, 30, 40, and 50 different publishers. It's been a fun goal to work towards but the series aspect means we are waiting until we hit 50 before going to the area to log any of them. So really the other 4 are redundant. Our preference would be for people to pick one number and place one challenge cache.

Question 4 - What are your favorite challenge type?

We like ones involving favorite points because we are pretty extreme outliers.

We also like the "lonely cache" type challenges.

Question 5 - What challenge caches do you avoid?

Any that involve streaks - we cache when we want to cache. If we randomly happen to meet it we will log it but it hasn't happened yet.

The ones that we don't avoid but don't really care for are the challenges that are more or less saying "find a lot caches". Once a challenge starts requiring more than 100 finds, it really needs a second look to see if it is bringing something interesting to the table.

I am a big fan of challenge caches. I have been hunting them since they started appearing. I like using them to set goals and to shape the way I do caching. Often I am asked by a challenge to look for caches I might not normally hunt and go out of my way for, which is a good thing. I enjoy tracking my progress on challenges caches. I enjoy perusing the GSAK forums looking for macros that help identify caches used in completing challenges. That also helps me find new challenges to work for.

The cache portion to a challenge should be a formality. It is disheartening when I complete a difficult challenge, but the cache is stupidly difficult to get or put in place that is not easily accessible, especially someone from out of town. I know some will disagree with that, but I am thinking more about ones where access is limited by hours or specific days. Even worse when the cache is missing.

Some challenges are set up in response to a group of cachers that just happened to complete an obtuse task. The challenge becomes more or less impossible and is designed solely for others in said group.

The challenge is the challenge and not so much the cache. I would not be opposed to to a number of possibilities. I would like to see a separate icon. (Overall, there should be more cache types. It keeps the game more interesting.) Maybe a badge system for earning challenges that replaces finding an actual cache. I do not think challenges should be demoted to some pseudo cache type like Lab Caches or the old Challenges. While I use GSAK over Project Geocaching, I would like to see an automated challenge checker possibly tied into the latter.

If a badge system was used, one issued by Geocaching.com, then I would like to see the major challenges such counties, Delorme, 366, Fizzy, Jasmer, to be restricted. One per state or one for everywhere. A badge system would remove distance restrictions. For example, in Michigan we have multiple county challenges due to the distance needed to travel to get the challenge cache. There is one in the north and one towards the south. With a badge, the cache could be earned upon completion of the challenge.

I like the challenges that require some traveling. The County and Delorme challenges are very straight forward, have macros in GSAK to track progress, not easily accomplished, and enjoyable to do.

There are few challenges I do not like. I do not like ones that are very convoluted. For example, find all the caches in a town. Many maps are not clear on town boundaries and this can be a pain to figure out. Or, the requirements change as new caches are added or subtracted.

Other challenges where one needs a PhD in Linear Algebra and the free time of a monk to complete are not fun. Really any challenge that requires hours to figure out if I qualify. Nor do I like streaks; caching for so many days in a row. However, I avoid them, but do not have a problem with them existing.

I like the idea of having a set of goals to accomplish. If it weren't for many of the challenges out there, the micro spew would have caused me to be bored and I would have left the game long ago. At least challenges add a bit of excitement back into the game.

I presume one of the reasons why people hate challenges is that some of them are just outright crazy. I don't mind a very difficult challenge. But when the challenge involves multi-dimensions, those are the ones I despise.

Only allow a single dimension to a challenge. In other words, ONE SINGLE challenge to complete, no matter how difficult that ONE challenge is.

I'd prefer the new icon over the idea of an attribute. Reason being that attributes are optional, cache type is not. Why put the workload on the reviewers to email back requesting attribute. I also suspect new cache type is easier for searching algorithms.

Find X number of caches with Y scenario.

Any challenge that requires more than one task should be banned. I don't mind the impossible idea of finding 1000 caches in a day. But if I have to find 100 caches in a day and there has to be 9 different icons types, those are the multi-dimensional challenges that are not fun.

1. I don't really like challenge caches very much, although they can serve to recognize reaching some milestones.

2. Challenge caches to me appear to be more about excluding people from finding or logging than they are about taking people to interesting places. When we plan a cache outing, it annoys me to see a park or preserve with a good cluster of caches. And then after I have gone to the effort of getting a PQ, importing it and then starting to read the descriptions, find that there are some or many that we cannot log. Or worse, some that I might qualify for, but not my wife. This is especially annoying when on a cache-cation and the requirements are to find many other local caches first. Challenge caches do not get me outside in nature and getting exercise. They put me in front of the computer, analyzing statistics with a database to see if I qualify first. I didn't start geocaching in order to spend MORE time in front of my computer, I wanted to spend more time out in nature. I don't like that challenges encourage competitive behavior; finding caches just to rack up a number or statistic.

3. Challenges need to have a separate icon so they can be easily identified on the map and be filtered out with online and PQ searches if desired. I don't think they should be eliminated because a lot of people like them. We just need to be able to identify them more easily and make it easier for those of us who don't care for them to filter them out.

4. I don't have any favorite challenge types.

5. I avoid any challenges that I don't already qualify for. I do not alter our caching activities to satisfy an arbitrary challenge.

I'm going to amend my thoughts... I could see and would be ok if challenges were split into to buckets.

1) "One time only" challenges... it is an accomplishment to have a 100 day streak or finding 10 different cache types in a day. But these are one off feats of caching. There doesn't need to be a dozen different challenge caches set up that are the exact same thing every several miles. These could be pushed off into a souvenir or badge.

This would still give people bragging rights without the need of dozens of repeat caches.

2) "I came up with a crazy" challenge... This would still allow a CO to come up with their own spin. Anything not defined as belonging to category #1 could be allowed as-long-as it adheres to any established rules.

As as side note, I've read several comments that state that people don't like challenge because it forces them to change their caching style. The argument could also be made against Events. Events are held at specific times and places. You have to change your schedule to attend an event. You can't just go get an event when you feel like it. By extension, that also applies to souvenirs that are offered for specific reasons. (Pi Day, Earthcache, etc)

Edited by igator210

1 What do you like most about challenge caches?

I like those that require me to do something I would not have done or go somewhere I might not have gone. The PA Fizzy (a date restricted challenge) prompted me to rent kayaks for us. I love sailing but Susancycle not so much. She took to kayaking like a fish to water, now it gets in the way of bicycling. The NJ DeLorme has me bicycling in parts of the state where I live that I would not otherwise have visited.

2 What do you not like about challenge caches?

I have three major complaints. The first involves those that have a “look at me” level of exclusivity. Fill your Fizzy grid 10 times for example, what new or interesting experience is that likely to bring me? The next is the preponderance of caches named “X” challenges such as “Find 20 caches with a fish name in the title” Geocaching claims to be “The language of location” but these challenges turn it into “The location of language” The third annoyance is the proliferation of “Find “X” number of things in “Y” amount of time. I want to enjoy my geocaching experiences. I don’t want to have to race from place to place to find 110 caches in a day or modify my caching to find a puzzle cache every day for a year, and so on.

3 What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Stick to challenges that involve location and/or activities. Require an attribute so they can be filtered. Eliminate those that have a time requirement (i.e., a streak or “x” caches in “y” time.)

4 If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Something that I can take my time accomplishing.

5 What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Streaks and those that require “x” accomplishments in “y” time (full disclosure: I did the August thing as an adjunct to getting ready for a trip to Iceland (I biked to a cache each day) I hated it and stopped as soon as I got to Iceland.

Effective April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in place on all new challenge cache submissions. It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings.

For more information about the pause, see the Help Center article.

For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed. If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines.

Please let us know:

2. What do you like most about challenge caches? - The Geocaching game should provide various options to keep players interested, motivated and involved. Challenge caches do that for me in a big way!
  3. What do you not like about challenge caches? - I don't see any downside. If I don't want to try to meet the qualifications of a challenge cache, I just ignore it.
  4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? - Give them their on icon/type.
  5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? - Jasmers, Fizzys, those that involve locations ( # states, countries, etc. ) or cool activities! There aren't many that I don't like . They are fun because as the title states, they are a challenge!
  6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? - those with consecutive days found but only because my job precludes daily caching. However, when I retire in a couple of years..........!!

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015.

I think it's fun to see if you qualify and if not look at what it takes to do so.

The amount of people who post to the page saying they do or do not qualify. Either find the cache and log a note that you will change it to a found when you do, or keep quiet

Anything that is going to cause people to place caches just so the requirements can easily be met by anyone. Which probably means more boring micros on guardrails, signs and lampskirts.

Can't really say anything is a favorite. If it looks attainable to do I will try it, if I know I won't be able to I don't. I am not one that has to do everything put before me.

If it doesn't sound fun I don't do it.

Edited by hallycat

We do so agree that the rules concerning Challenge Caches need to be revised.

1 What do you like most about challenge caches?

A challenge should provide an incentive to increase ones geocaching experience while achieving a specific target. Challenges have given structure to our caching in that we have been searching out caches to meet challenge criteria.

2 What do you not like about challenge caches?

Some challenge caches have very complicated and unnecessarily restrictive criteria to be met. We tend to ignore these.

3 What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Challenge caches should have their own icon perhaps a gauntlet or something similar would be appropriate.

Cache owners should have to prove that they meet the challenge themselves. Just “to be obtainable” is unsatisfactory because it allows cache owners to set challenges they cannot meet themselves.

The proof that a challenge has been met should be available from the Geocaching.com Statistics Pages and searches without having to use other systems such as GSAK or Project-GC.

Only Premium Members should be allowed to submit Challenges for review.

Challenges should have a straight forward simply stated requirement without lots of fiddly qualifying requirements.

Quite rightly the word “Challenge” has to be included in the name of challenge caches. It should not be used in the name of any other types of cache.

4 If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

We like those caches that can be seen from our profile ie. D/T grids, caching calendar etc.

5 What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

We tend to avoid those challenges that have complicated and fiddly requirements.

There are none in a 20 km radius around my home. Just 1020 traditionals, multis, puzzles and earthcaches. Great!

• it's not about finding boxes by use of GPS, but caclculate statistics. You may even need external software to see if you qualify. That's bookkeeping, not geocaching.

• to qualify, you often have to change your caching behaviour: grids, streaks, caches per day, specific caches, ...

• Sone challenges seem to be designed to not beeing found, having totally insane criteria.

• Supports the idea of contest and status symbols in a game basically free of contest and status symbols.

• There is just a box at the end. But often the focus is on the challenge idea itself and not on a fine box at a fine location (same applies to puzzles).

• The challenge of designing a challenge more crazy than the other challenge leads to real crazy ones. Just for the sake of the challenge, not for better cache experiences.

• Qualifying often is disputeable. D/T values may change adter finding a cache, names of caches change. So a list of cache dependent criteria to qualify (find x caches with D4, find y caches with sn animal in the name) may be spoiled.

• Sometimes challenge criteria are not well worded or simple enough to understand without having a degree in language science and/or law. No wonder there are a lot of appeals to Groundspeak HQ (challenges are <1% of all caches but one of thf main reasons for appealing to GS HQ).

• Fellow cachers, beeing on ground zero and help finding the box may not log it, if they don't qualify. That affects families, friends and cache teams.

• To qualify for a Challenge, some cachers don't hesitate to show a rather "strange" behaviour - not to say "foul play" (i.e. armchair logging of archieved caches...).

• On some places challenge power trails start to grow, thus preventing other caches.

• There will be caches just for thr sake of qualifying for a challenge, not for showing a special location.

Especially the last point can affect the whole game, even if you ignore challenge caches.

Getting rid of them.

Non-existent. OK I qualify for without changing my caching habit.

All I don't qualify for without changing my caching habit.

Summary: I won't miss them if they get grandfathered or, even better, simply changed into traditionals.

I really like them all and have enjoyed the competition of solving difficult local puzzles whereby the FTF brings some good bragging rights. I have also enjoyed some of the milestone ?'s as an added goal.

Some puzzle solutions are just a bit too bizarre but others have solved them so some just do not work for me. So be it. Challenges that have unrealistic qualifications are annoying. If they were in my backyard where I had to stare at them unsolved, on the map, i'd be annoyed.

I see no major issues but I do not fully comprehend the reviewer's issues.

Finding hidden coordinates in a puzzle and realistic goal oriented types.

Ones with unrealistic goals.

They provide a meaningful reason to search out caches I would probably never otherwise search for. I am not traditionally someone who searches for high D/T caches (or puzzles), but in trying to fill my grid for challenges, I've ventured out beyond my usual comfort zones.

There are many I will probably never qualify for- I just ignore those. My biggest dislike- the moratorium as it currently exists!

Definitely a new icon. It makes it easier to spot them on the map, and distinguish them from Mystery/Puzzles, which are truthfully a different premise.

Geographic challenges (cached in 10 states, etc.), or ones with creative requirements

The ones that require long streaks of finding caches. After about 10 days in a row of caching, I find that maintaining a streak becomes a chore. That said, some people enjoy the challenge, and who am I to judge?

• Adds an additional twist and sense of satisfaction once the challenge is met. I've definitely sought out caches that I wouldn't have otherwise to meet challenges and I like that aspect.

• Figuring out if I qualify for some of them. I think it should be a requirement strong suggestion that the CO provides a challenge checker (e.g. http://project-gc.co...llenges/GC4Y7DW) for challenges that require a lot of "bookkeeping".

• Categorized as a separate type of cache. They are much more involved than most other types of caches and different enough to warrant their own icon.
    • Allowing the logging of a "note" when the physical cache is found and then getting credit when the rest of the criteria are met. Some COs allow this, some don't. I think this should be mandatory. It is possible to find the physical while traveling and then meeting the rest of the conditions after the physical find. Or it could take a long time to work on a challenge during which the physical could be muggled.

• None. I don't expect to be able to solve every puzzle cache and don't expect to be able to meet every challenge. If a challenge has a requirement that I can't meet then I'll skip it and move on to another. Not everyone has to be able to find every cache.

Edited by DubbleG